Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 9:02:56 AM EDT
I have a Colt LE6920. I have about 100 rounds of Tula ammo. I'm worried about putting it through my rifle. I've watched some videos that make me worry about getting a casing jam. Should I worry?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Read this, Lucky Gunner steel vs brass, torture test

I've had a few stuck cases, but they are easily knocked out with a cleaning rod. I wouldn't use it for any competition or if my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
It should run steel case fine, if not, there is probably an issue with the rifle. Just know that shooting steel cased ammo exclusively will shorten your barrel life, but that's not really a problem unless you're shooting a LOT.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should run steel case fine, if not, there is probably an issue with the rifle. Just know that shooting steel cased ammo exclusively will shorten your barrel life, but that's not really a problem unless you're shooting a LOT.
View Quote

But even so, the overall cost of ownership will be less shooting steel-cased (you'll save more on ammo than you spend on barrels).
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

what makes the barrel life shorter with steel cased ammo?

The same copper jacketed bullet is going down the barrel.

The steel case does not expand as much as the brass case, so you get a dirtier chamber, but I don't see anything that can cause extra wear.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The steel case does not expand as much as the brass case, so you get a dirtier chamber, but I don't see anything that can cause extra wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they mean chambering and extracting, steel cases will wear on the chamber more than brass. Also I think some of that ammo may have a copper coated steel jacket (?) Which would wear a little more on the barrel
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think they mean chambering and extracting, steel cases will wear on the chamber more than brass. Also I think some of that ammo may have a copper coated steel jacket (?) Which would wear a little more on the barrel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so it is the bimental soft steel jacket under the copper that causes additional wear. Maybe.

The soft steel case going in and out of the hardened steel chamber instead of brass, maybe.

maybe in a lot of full auto fire where the barrel and chamber get really hot, but I think it would be negligible for a few thousands rounds of semi-auto fire.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually get some grief when I say this...  But I've never shot steel cased ammo through my AR's.  Brass only.  

As with all things, YMMV
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bi-metalic (copper+steel) bullet jacket with which most steel-cased Tula and Wolf is loaded.

It's also noteworthy that they (Lucky Gunner testers) shot their carbines until they were "too hot to hold"; much more severe than most of us would to do our rifles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Colt LE6920. I have about 100 rounds of Tula ammo. I'm worried about putting it through my rifle. I've watched some videos that make me worry about getting a casing jam. Should I worry?
View Quote

Shoot it.  Don't worry.  While Tula can cause stuck case issues, 100 rounds isn't going to do anything bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But even so, the overall cost of ownership will be less shooting steel-cased (you'll save more on ammo than you spend on barrels).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read this a lot and I guess it depends how picky you are about your barrels and how much the replacement costs.

My A1 has a 20" Colt 1/12 USGI barrel,
my A2 has a 20" Colt 1/7 USGI barrel,

both seem hard to find (at least for me)

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Please see the FAQs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top