Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 2:42:08 PM EDT
Currently using Wolf Gold for training/range use. Any other recommendations for a decent bulk do it all ammo for range/training, SD/HD, etc. at a reasonable price point? Ideally between .28-.32/round.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
M193 of any sort. It sucks at everything about equally and is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.....a decent bulk do it all ammo for range/training, SD/HD, etc. at a reasonable price point? Ideally between .28-.32/round.
View Quote

You have to compromise heavily at that price point. Reload maybe? If not as above M193 or clones.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
M193 is fine.

For practice, pick up some cases of 55gr steel cased wolf as well to save $80/k.

If you don't already reload, the cost and time to get started will far exceed 2-3 cases of m193, so just stick with factory stuff for now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick with Wolf Gold. Cheaper, more accurate, sealed and crimped.

M193 is very good, but a little more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Prvi M193.

Great ammo and can very often be found for a bit less than Wolf Gold.

SGAmmo usually has it at good prices. Nothing wrong with Wolf Gold though. Love that as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Stick with WG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
What are your thoughts on storing WG? The armory has their 50 cal/1000 round can option going again. The ammo can comes with 50/20 round boxes neatly packed.  Looking at long term storage/climate controlled/big ass closet. Never heard anything bad about this ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
You can fit 1000 rounds boxed in a 50cal can, that's how I store mine. The can is sealed the ammo is sealed so I don't worry to much about it. I shoot a lot, so every time I order a few cases I rotate them out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf Gold is pretty much the best option right now for what you are asking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Ordered some, probably won't get any cheaper, hopefully it will go bang in 10 to 15 years, thanks

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some cans of M855 62gr green-tip a few years ago, and I haven't found anything it didn't do well. I doubt I'll find it for $139 a can ever again though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone run the IMI M193 from Widener's? Looks like they raised their price a little ($379), I think last year it was $349/1200. I don't have an account set up with them, what do they typically charge for shipping?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ordered some, probably won't get any cheaper, hopefully it will go bang in 10 to 15 years, thanks  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stored properly it will be good for 100 years or more. I shoot 60 - 70 year old ammo pretty often.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
M193 of any sort. It sucks at everything about equally and is cheap.
View Quote

Under 200 yards I wouldn't say M193 sucks, esp for the price tag. It's no no MK318, or anything though.  Honestly for bulk it doesn't get much better than the Wolf Gold imo. M193 is marginally better at actually fragmenting and if i'm shooting at someone thats shooting at me, I would rather have it than Wolf Gold, but then I would rather have Federal Fusion MSR or MK318 etc. in such a senario. IMO the caliber is >300 yard caliber. Not to say you can't shoot an enemy combatant at 400-550 yards with it, but I wouldn't expect it to do much unless it happened to tumble, if it didn't it's just going to poke a nice little hole.

I store my ammo in magazines...in .50cal cans. Found a somewhat local surplus shop that has them for $13 a piece, not the fake plastic shit either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stored properly it will be good for 100 years or more. I shoot 60 - 70 year old ammo pretty often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I intend to leave it in the shipped ammo cans, stored in a dark, dry closet, thanks for the reply

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolf gold for not serious use. Federal fusion msr for serious use.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Where are the better places you guys are getting your Wolf Gold from?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

AmmoMan.com
Not the cheapest, but Always free shipping over $100 and NO tax.

wolf gold

36.5 cents / rnd 1000. Little bit high.
46 cents for boxes of 20... Ouch!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AmmoMan.com

wolf gold

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AmmoMan.com

wolf gold

Screw that, The armory, targetsports, SG ammo, all priced at $299.99 and free shipping. The armory has their in ammo can special right now.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AmmoMan.com

wolf gold

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AmmoMan.com

wolf gold

Terrible prices for that ammo!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought some cans of M855 62gr green-tip a few years ago, and I haven't found anything it didn't do well. I doubt I'll find it for $139 a can ever again though.
View Quote

Buy cans of XM193 now for $135 shipped and have more accurate ammo that you can shoot indoors.

http://massammo.com/federal-5-56x45-nato-223-rem-xm193-420-round-ammo-can.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I store, plink with and keep in my SHTF rig Brown and Silver bear 62 grn soft point.  My very unscientific ammo testing shows decent expansion in water jugs.  Recently it's been easier to find silver bear then brownbear.  I assume due to the recent conflicts in that area of teh world.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I've avoided the IMI m855 stuff because I don't want to unnecessarily chew up my steel and some indoor ranges know to wave a magnet over IMI headstamped ammo. PMC steel core stuff has worked well for me, and it's easy enough to ID with the painted tip.

Buy a bunch of what you are going to actually shoot. Federal/PMC/WOLF 55gr brass cased stuff is all ballpark close enough to be able to have expected results inside 200m. Past that you'll be using nicer ammo anyway. The steel cased stuff is nice because you can just blast away and leave the cases with the range without thinking about it.

I personally think SHTF ammo hoards are mostly just to ensure you are able to practice consistently during ammo shortage times. To be able to know you have 350-500 rounds stashed if a class or a work qual comes up, or to have 20 rounds to confirm your zero on a couple rifles every few months, those go a long way. A bag with 3 full mags and a rifle cleaning kit might not check the "RUSSIAN INVASION" box, but it will cover the majority of situations for us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone run the IMI M193 from Widener's? Looks like they raised their price a little ($379), I think last year it was $349/1200. I don't have an account set up with them, what do they typically charge for shipping?
View Quote

Been using that stuff for years and it's always been great.   There was a report here a few weeks ago that a guy bought a case and had some light strikes.  

Don't know what was up with that but I ordered a case from SG and we'll see how it does in a few weeks....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Screw that, The armory, targetsports, SG ammo, all priced at $299.99 and free shipping. The armory has their in ammo can special right now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AmmoMan.com

wolf gold

I knew I shouldn't have put it off ... The Armory got WG in last Thursday night and it's already sold out. Hopefully SG gets some in this week...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Buy cans of XM193 now for $135 shipped and have more accurate ammo that you can shoot indoors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered some of this yesterday. Damn good price.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]
No such thing as a "do everything load". Wolf Gold is some pretty decent stuff, but it is not as accurate or as terminally effective as some other loads. If you want something that is reasonably accurate, and reasonably terminally effective but not too expensive, you might look at PPU 75 gr BTHP. Not bad to stock for SHTF. If you wait for deals on 62 gr Fusion, that's a really good load to stock for SHTF.

I understand the dilemma. You want to have the same load for SHTF, home defense, and training, but unless you're wealthy, that's a hard thing to do. You should strongly consider having one load for each purpose. For home defense, you probably want the most terminally effective load you can get with no regard to barrier performance, long range efficacy, accuracy, or even cost. The Black Hills 77 gr TMK would probably fit that best. For the mags on your PC or LBV, you may want something that is also reasonably accurate and maintains good terminal performance down range. Cost is still not a huge issue because you only need enough to zero, confirm function, and fill 4-8 mags. 62 gr Fusion fits that well. I tested it down to 1,700 fps, which is what you would expect at 475 yards for a 16" barrel firing MSR and it still expanded well. It also did well through a windshield. For long term SHTF hoarding and training, you may want something a lot less expensive but that still has good accuracy and decent terminal effect. This is where you may find yourself compromising more for price. Depending on what you're willing to spend and how patient you can be, 62 gr Fusion, PPU 75 gr BTHP, Wolf Gold, LC M193, or quite a few other loads might fit that bill. I lean towards PPU and LC myself.

Whatever you choose, zero for the ammo on your fighting gear and record your dope for the other loads. Confirm zero once a year with each. For training at 100 yards or less, most ammo will hit close enough to the same POI that it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No such thing as a "do everything load". Wolf Gold is some pretty decent stuff, but it is not as accurate or as terminally effective as some other loads. If you want something that is reasonably accurate, and reasonably terminally effective but not too expensive, you might look at PPU 75 gr BTHP. Not bad to stock for SHTF. If you wait for deals on 62 gr Fusion, that's a really good load to stock for SHTF.

I understand the dilemma. You want to have the same load for SHTF, home defense, and training, but unless you're wealthy, that's a hard thing to do. You should strongly consider having one load for each purpose. For home defense, you probably want the most terminally effective load you can get with no regard to barrier performance, long range efficacy, accuracy, or even cost. The Black Hills 77 gr TMK would probably fit that best. For the mags on your PC or LBV, you may want something that is also reasonably accurate and maintains good terminal performance down range. Cost is still not a huge issue because you only need enough to zero, confirm function, and fill 4-8 mags. 62 gr Fusion fits that well. I tested it down to 1,700 fps, which is what you would expect at 475 yards for a 16" barrel firing MSR and it still expanded well. It also did well through a windshield. For long term SHTF hoarding and training, you may want something a lot less expensive but that still has good accuracy and decent terminal effect. This is where you may find yourself compromising more for price. Depending on what you're willing to spend and how patient you can be, 62 gr Fusion, PPU 75 gr BTHP, Wolf Gold, LC M193, or quite a few other loads might fit that bill. I lean towards PPU and LC myself.

Whatever you choose, zero for the ammo on your fighting gear and record your dope for the other loads. Confirm zero once a year with each. For training at 100 yards or less, most ammo will hit close enough to the same POI that it doesn't really matter.
View Quote

Recommendations from you holds a lot of weight,  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like PSA has Fusion MSR for $9.99/20. Shipping for 1000 is like $55 though, still a great deal all things considered.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Bite the bullet 556
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]
wolf gold for plinking
mk318 for HD
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top