Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2017 10:50:11 AM EDT
Happened in the middle of a semi-spirited speed string of shots. Gun has ~5k rds through it with no problems, and was clean and lubed before this range session. Had maybe 150rds into it this session (all suppressed) before this happened. Never had a bolt bounce issue with it before, nor any issues going into battery. Looks to me like it fired OOB, but shouldn't have been able to have the hammer hit the pin this far out.
No damage to upper, bolt, or magazine, nor any other issues with ammo

Remington green box 147gr
Faxon 4.5" barrel
Spinta bolt
Heavy 9mm buffer (with weights)
Standard carbine spring
Gi trigger with standard springs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Couldn't find the case head, case came out of the chamber nicely, bullet solidly lodged just ahead of the chamber. Single bullet only, no squib or low powered round before it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of curiosity, what upper are you running, and did you happen to notice where all the gas escaped to?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Upper is a billet I machined, all the gas came out the ejection port. No pieces of ruptured case hit me or anyone else, but still goes to show why not wearing eye protection is stupid. The noise was the worse part, didn't have hearing protection on since we were all using cans. Rodded the bullet out of the barrel, no damage to the barrel whatsoever. Once again, @RogueNathan and the crew at Faxon make a stellar product!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Who makes your buffer and weight? Check to see if the weights are still moving in the buffer.

Casing is pretty flat compared to my OOB cases. Maybe a weak case was the cause or a stuck FP?

These were from my bolt bounce with a solid weight buffer and an echo trigger

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Upper is a billet I machined, all the gas came out the ejection port. No pieces of ruptured case hit me or anyone else, but still goes to show why not wearing eye protection is stupid. The noise was the worse part, didn't have hearing protection on since we were all using cans. Rodded the bullet out of the barrel, no damage to the barrel whatsoever. Once again, @RogueNathan and the crew at Faxon make a stellar product!
View Quote
Glad to here you are okay. Eye pro is a must when I had my OOB I would have got burning powder right in my eye if not for eye pro. I did get a nice little powder burn under my eye. Thank God 9mm oobs are not like 556
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Buffer is a Spike's ST-9X that I drilled, polished the bore, and installed 3 of the KAK tungsten weights. All the weights are still sliding freely too. May just have been a combo of slightly OOB and a weak case. Jut put another 200rds of the same lot # ammo through it with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Glad to here you are okay. Eye pro is a must when I had my OOB I would have got burning powder right in my eye if not for eye pro. I did get a nice little powder burn under my eye. Thank God 9mm oobs are not like 556
View Quote
I still have a FA installed in that upper, along with a vented CH with nice rubber seal added so that always helps keep crap out of your face too
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We are truly happy that you are OK. If you need any support on this barrel, let me know!
View Quote
Just seeing you post like this makes me want to try your barrels out.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Reloads? Are you able to unload live rounds? The charging handle dose not get hard to pull?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are truly happy that you are OK. If you need any support on this barrel, let me know!

Dave N
You should. They're quite nice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
@RogueNathan You and your company are true ambassadors to the shooting sports! The barrel came out unscathed and now has 600rds on it since being rodded clear but I definitely appreciate the offer.

@shadowcop I've got quite a few Faxon products now, and look forward to many more. The fact that Nathan uses Arfcom as an open forum to reach out to shooters for insight on new products the WE want to see, the support they offer, their quality and accuracy, and the fact that they can provide all of that without an exorbitant price point makes them front runners.

@Silver_Surfer No reloads, all off the shelf factory Remington UMC green box 147gr loads. They all load and eject just fine, this was an isolated incident (so far).
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
After thinking about it you may have had a stuck firing pin. Did you dissemble the bolt and inspect it after the OOB?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the primer wasn't fully seated?  That's scary crap, I need to be more diligent about eye pro. Glad to hear you are okay.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top