Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2017 10:30:48 AM EDT
I know this might be hard to answer, since all 9mm ARs vary so much in build set-ups. But I'm looking for recommendations for those who have run hollow points and what has been more reliable for them? I've only tried GECO hollow points thus far in my gun, and it gets failure to feeds. Jams up every few rounds when feeding into the barrel and pushes the bullet into the case.

Here's the style of the GECO hollow point. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with different types of HP since I rarely have used them.

Any ideas?

Gun runs flawless with FMJ ball brass or steel. 600rds fed through it on FMJ. I'm using a promag magwell. The magwell has a feed ramp, but the barrel does not. Using promag mags as well. Metalform/Colt steel mags cause FTF with everything I've put in it so ditched those.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Speer G2 147 Gr.  has been 100% for me.  All QC10 parts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Hst runs fine in mine
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
HST or critical duty/critical defense.

Hornady
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hst runs fine in mine
View Quote
HST for me, too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a RRA LAR 9 10.5" pistol and it's been flawless with both Hornady XTP and Remington Golden Saber hollow points.

The GS hollow points have a fairly round nose profile, while the Hornady XTP hollow points in 9mm have a profile that is closer to a truncated cone with a mid sized meplat.  That narrow design feeds very well, and at 7-10.5" velocities expands white well.   1150 is about average for the 124 gr, and 950 is average for the 147 gr in my 10.5" barrel, and that's a couple hundred feet per second above the minimum velocity needed for reliable expansion - enough to ensure expansion out past 200 yards -  a bit beyond the real world effective range of a 7-10.5" 9mm pistol or SBR.

One major advantage of the XTP bullets is that they are highly regarded for their accuracy and with an optic, I get 3/4" five shot groups at 50 yards with my LAR 9, and similar 1.5 MOA accuracy at 100 yards if it isn't gusting.

----

The RRA uses Colt pattern converted Uzi magazines, but the lower has a dedicated mag well for 9mm mags with integral feed ramps, and a normal feed cone around the chamber.  The general design is the same as the Colt pattern, but with no potential for a magazine block to slip or shift.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an Olympic Arms 9 mm, it will feed anything you put it, flat nose to hollow points, operates flawlessly.  I think it has to do with the way the rounds feed out of the magazine, almost straight into the chamber.  Not a favorable magazine, but works anyway.  Also will feed out of a sten mag if you use a Hahn block.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
From a reliability viewpoint ( and accuracy), the Federal 115 grain 9BP load is my all-time favorite.  It runs well in all of my pistols and Colt carbine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
My setup using a JP SCS and Bolt with a Hahn top loading block and a barrel from Rudy over at Macon Armory will shoot absolutely everything I have thrown at it including magazines full of mixed brands (Freedom Munitions, Winchester, Browning), weights (115, 124 and 147 Grain) and types (RN, HP, TC).  I tried, I tried hard, I literally couldn't make it fail.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top