Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2015 6:12:10 PM EDT
Ok, this may be a dumb question, but where do I put the spacer/shim on my JR Carbine 9mm if I am dealing with a barrel that wiggles a little when using a new barrel nut that came with an aftermarket handguard? I think this new nut doesnt screw down the barrel tight enough to the receiver.  

Do I shim it after the barrel is inserted into the receiver, but before the barrel nut is placed on?  Or do I shim it in-between the receiver and the barrel?  Wouldn't a shim between the barrel and receiver mess with headspace?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
All the aftermarket handguards that I got that came with shims also came with instructions -- but that's another subject. My handguard shims slid down the barrel and then the aftermarket nut was screwed on. With all of my handguards the shims were designed to allow the barrel nut to align just right when torqued in place by adding or removing shims but I guess they could also be used to tighten up a sloppy fit. Some time back there were 9mm barrels being sold that were not up to specs on the ring or lip that went up against the receiver and what the barrel nut screwed down against. Somebody discovered there was a company that made a special shim just for this kind of problem but I honestly don't remember what the company name was.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I don't actually have any shims yet.  The new nut/handguard did not come with any at all.  So I am looking to buy some from Amazon/Ebay or whatever to see if I can get the barrel to be less wobbly.  I might also see if I can use the old nut......not ideal, but if it holds the barrel and the handguard fits then why not?

Follow up question, since this is a standard AR handguard and barrel nut, the shims I buy dont need to be special do they?  Like....I don't need to find 9mm specific shims due to the OD of the barrel being weird do I?  Logic says standard AR handguard and barrel nut means I can use any AR shim I find.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.  I don't actually have any shims yet.  The new nut/handguard did not come with any at all.  So I am looking to buy some from Amazon/Ebay or whatever to see if I can get the barrel to be less wobbly.  I might also see if I can use the old nut......not ideal, but if it holds the barrel and the handguard fits then why not?

Follow up question, since this is a standard AR handguard and barrel nut, the shims I buy dont need to be special do they?  Like....I don't need to find 9mm specific shims due to the OD of the barrel being weird do I?  Logic says standard AR handguard and barrel nut means I can use any AR shim I find.
View Quote

No they're not caliber specific for the JRC's, How come the hand guard unit you purchased didn't come with shims? All the keymod ones i have did.
What one did you purchase? The more info given when trying to trouble shoot an issue always helps.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I found some that might help you -- they may be thicker than the normal FF handguard shim that companies normally use but then I can't tell just by looking at them.
http://www.amazon.com/OTSupplier%C2%AE-223-Rifle-Float-Barrel-Washer/dp/B00K35T8C8/ref=pd_sim_200_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BVM9YKB0M1X9W61MQZ0

or this pile of sellers http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=barrel+nut+shim&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=4966528767&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5xfs68pgwk_p

There are other shims but this should give you an idea as to to look for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Jim, it was something from Ebay that I now wonder about the quality of.  Ebay has mysteriously said they needed to remove any trace of the listing.  When I clicked on the "leave feedback" link for the item in my email, the Ebay page says "We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help."

Uh.....what?  Never seen that message before, and I have been on Ebay for 16 years.  I will see if there was a brand on the item when I get back to my shop later.  This is meant to be a range toy, so I was not trying to go buy a 200 or 300 dollar rail.  This thing was less than 100 bucks and I got it just for the looks, color, and length.  The stock JR forend is wayyyy short for my liking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found some that might help you -- they may be thicker than the normal FF handguard shim that companies normally use but then I can't tell just by looking at them.
http://www.amazon.com/OTSupplier%C2%AE-223-Rifle-Float-Barrel-Washer/dp/B00K35T8C8/ref=pd_sim_200_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BVM9YKB0M1X9W61MQZ0

or this pile of sellers http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=barrel+nut+shim&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=4966528767&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5xfs68pgwk_p

There are other shims but this should give you an idea as to to look for yourself.
View Quote

Thanks.  One of those is who I ordered from.  We will see how it works when it comes in!
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks.  One of those is who I ordered from.  We will see how it works when it comes in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I'd like to see what the handguard looks like also. I build little setups that shoot small stuff and need a handguard from time to time that's inexpensive -- to make the setup at least look good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Yea, I'd like to see what the handguard looks like also. I build little setups that shoot small stuff and need a handguard from time to time that's inexpensive -- to make the setup at least look good.
View Quote

I will at least post some photos of the handguard even if it is not mounted.  Sucks that the Ebay auction with its nice photos has been wiped from the face of the earth.  Should probably get the shims in the mail this week.  Wife is having a baby next Monday....so....we will see how much time is spent on this carbine.  Might have to take a break.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will at least post some photos of the handguard even if it is not mounted.  Sucks that the Ebay auction with its nice photos has been wiped from the face of the earth.  Should probably get the shims in the mail this week. Wife is having a baby next Monday....so....we will see how much time is spent on this carbine.  Might have to take a break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will at least post some photos of the handguard even if it is not mounted.  Sucks that the Ebay auction with its nice photos has been wiped from the face of the earth.  Should probably get the shims in the mail this week. Wife is having a baby next Monday....so....we will see how much time is spent on this carbine.  Might have to take a break.

Holy Mackerel, good news there!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Yeah, should be fun.  My wife does not allow any guns on site, so I have to deal with remote storage as well as remote mods.  It is a hassle to go back and forth for small issues like this one.  Taking 4 weeks off for the baby though, so this might actually allow me MORE time to go work on this carbine than I normally would depending on if the baby settles down and naps like it should.  Coin toss as to if my 4 weeks will be 24/7 hell, or if it will be a semi-vacation.  This is kid #2, and #1 was easy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, should be fun.  My wife does not allow any guns on site, so I have to deal with remote storage as well as remote mods.  It is a hassle to go back and forth for small issues like this one.  Taking 4 weeks off for the baby though, so this might actually allow me MORE time to go work on this carbine than I normally would depending on if the baby settles down and naps like it should.  Coin toss as to if my 4 weeks will be 24/7 hell, or if it will be a semi-vacation.  This is kid #2, and #1 was easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I understand. Although I have no problems with my wife about guns still I keep them well locked up due to having a teenage grandson in the house a lot and boys like to play with stuff like that and I don't want any accidents -- out of sight out of mind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jim, it was something from Ebay that I now wonder about the quality of.  Ebay has mysteriously said they needed to remove any trace of the listing.  When I clicked on the "leave feedback" link for the item in my email, the Ebay page says "We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help."

Uh.....what?  Never seen that message before, and I have been on Ebay for 16 years.  I will see if there was a brand on the item when I get back to my shop later.  This is meant to be a range toy, so I was not trying to go buy a 200 or 300 dollar rail.  This thing was less than 100 bucks and I got it just for the looks, color, and length.  The stock JR forend is wayyyy short for my liking.
View Quote

1st off congrats on #2
Outside the message i'd like to see how the bbl nut looks on the receiver. IF it's too long perhaps a few light / skim cuts on the back side of the nut will resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]

1st off congrats on #2
Outside the message i'd like to see how the bbl nut looks on the receiver. IF it's too long perhaps a few light / skim cuts on the back side of the nut will resolve the issue.
View Quote

Looks like my shims/washers won't get here before the baby.  Will post tons of photos of the various nuts, washers, handguards, receiver interface, etc...  when things settle down.  Might be a week or two.  I am sure I can get this resolved with a little monkeying around.  Hell, I would not be surprised if I can get this new handguard to work with the old/original nut.  We will see.  I ran out of time when I was messing with it last time, so I have not exhausted all my options yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok folks.  Still no washers, but I took some photos of what I am working with.  After looking at the problem closer, I am sure a spacer/washer between the barrel and nut will fix my problem.  The barrel has a little bit of springiness in it where it pushes the action back a bit when it is flush with the receiver.  See my photo for how it looks when not manually held against the receiver.  See how it rests with a small gap?  Well the new nut did not completely close that gap when tightened all the way down.  So the barrel had a little bit of not only side to side wiggle, but also front to back motion.  Bad.....  Anyway, baby being born Monday, so might not get to try the washers for  bit.  But I will post my results and the final product when I can. Second photo is the "new" nut versus the old.  New is the one on the left/the slightly taller one that has two sets of threads. Original is on the right with only the one set of threads.

http://i.imgur.com/xWcf8xw.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/NQPZHSq.jpg?1
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok folks.  Still no washers, but I took some photos of what I am working with.  After looking at the problem closer, I am sure a spacer/washer between the barrel and nut will fix my problem.  The barrel has a little bit of springiness in it where it pushes the action back a bit when it is flush with the receiver.  See my photo for how it looks when not manually held against the receiver.  See how it rests with a small gap?  Well the new nut did not completely close that gap when tightened all the way down.  So the barrel had a little bit of not only side to side wiggle, but also front to back motion.  Bad.....  Anyway, baby being born Monday, so might not get to try the washers for  bit.  But I will post my results and the final product when I can. Second photo is the "new" nut versus the old.  New is the one on the left/the slightly taller one that has two sets of threads. Original is on the right with only the one set of threads.

http://i.imgur.com/xWcf8xw.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/NQPZHSq.jpg?1
Anyone know why my images wont show?  They show when I "preview" my post, but when I post it, I just see links to my photos.  Thoughts?
View Quote

That springy feel. That's the bbl pushing against the bolt carrier. The bbl needs to be installed with the bolt out or locked back. You need a shim between the bbl (front of flange) and bbl nut.  Without knowing the measurement of the bbl nut it's hard to say how much larger it is, OAL than the JRC one. Which will also determine how thick a spacer[s] one needs to secure the bbl to receiver.  
When i installed the strike ind key mod, i used all the shims but the .10" one. That was to get the nut indexed to allow alignment of the receiver to rail on the HG.  So.......... closing the gap to secure the bbl doesn't mean the hand guard will align properly with the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]

That |springy feel. That's the bbl pushing against the bolt carrier..
View Quote

Bolt carrier is the part I had on the tip of my tongue but could not remember.  You are of course correct.  I looked at my order details and I see that what I bought claims to be .32mm thick shims and comes in a 5 pack.  I got 2 packs.  That is only .12 inches with 10 shims though....  I think if I find that a ton of those do the job, I might see if I can find something thicker to use longer term so I don't need to rely on such a large stack of shims.  I suppose it doesn't matter as long as everything is tight and doesn't loosen.  The gap I need to bridge feels not huge, but not tiny either.  Don't know if it felt like more than .12 inches....
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bolt carrier is the part I had on the tip of my tongue but could not remember.  You are of course correct.  I looked at my order details and I see that what I bought claims to be .32mm thick shims and comes in a 5 pack.  I got 2 packs.  That is only .12 inches with 10 shims though....  I think if I find that a ton of those do the job, I might see if I can find something thicker to use longer term so I don't need to rely on such a large stack of shims.  I suppose it doesn't matter as long as everything is tight and doesn't loosen.  The gap I need to bridge feels not huge, but not tiny either.  Don't know if it felt like more than .12 inches....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That |springy feel. That's the bbl pushing against the bolt carrier..

This is just My Opinion.
after your wife gives birth and you've done enough to get yourself out and about for a day or two. Go see a smith. Based on your post this is something new to you. Before you do something that cannot be reversed ( like stretch / over torque the receiver threads) get some hands on advice. It's good you're asking here to see if the issue can be resolved. HOWEVER, there's more to shimming the hand guard to get the bbl tightened / seated correctly than just adding shims.
Once that task is done, you need to make sure when torqued that bbl nut allows installation of the hand guard so it indexes correctly.  

Do you have a digital caliper? That would help get you correct thickness (shim wise) to avoid installing, removing, installing again.
Doing what you need done is an easy job, to one familiar with it. Granted ,everyone has to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Only took one spacer to get it all really tight.  Guess the new nut actually reduced the space/gap more than I thought it would.  So it did not take much to get it up and running.  

Please ignore the fact that the FDE accessories don't all match the same exact tone as each other.  Some of this was stuff I had lying around or sourced from online where I could not compare shade of FDE.  I suspect some are actually desert tan....ohh well.  This is what I have for now!

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only took one spacer to get it all really tight.  Guess the new nut actually reduced the space/gap more than I thought it would.  So it did not take much to get it up and running.  

Please ignore the fact that the FDE accessories don't all match the same exact tone as each other.  Some of this was stuff I had lying around or sourced from online where I could not compare shade of FDE.  I suspect some are actually desert tan....ohh well.  This is what I have for now!

http://i.imgur.com/dyi6CCJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iqnZm5x.jpg

View Quote

What brand of lower is that?  It looks modular like you can switch the ejection port from right to left side along with that charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]

What brand of lower is that?  It looks modular like you can switch the ejection port from right to left side along with that charging handle.
View Quote

You can pretty easily switch sides for the ejection and charging handle.  It is a JR Carbine.  I have not taken it apart yet, but I believe there is some proprietary machining inside that plate covering the ejection port that makes it possible to switch sides easily.  So that cover is not just a cover.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can pretty easily switch sides for the ejection and charging handle.  It is a JR Carbine.  I have not taken it apart yet, but I believe there is some proprietary machining inside that plate covering the ejection port that makes it possible to switch sides easily.  So that cover is not just a cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The cover is also the ejector, it's 1pc .  Happy to hear the bbl issue was resolved. As for the mixed colors, who cares?  I built both my JRC and DDLES from misc part bin take offs. Enjoy your range time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]

The cover is also the ejector, it's 1pc .  Happy to hear the bbl issue was resolved. As for the mixed colors, who cares?  I built both my JRC and DDLES from misc part bin take offs. Enjoy your range time.
View Quote

It was a blast to play with. I was at an indoor range that only went to 25 yards and did not have proper tables (they stuck me in the pistol lanes since this is a 9mm), but photo 1 was my results for 25 yards, rapid fire (well, about one shot per second), 20 rounds.

http://i.imgur.com/kJmM4NI.jpg

Photo two was when I was still adjusting the scope. I blew out the center of the target so much that I could not tell where I was hitting anymore.  Hahaha.  http://i.imgur.com/ok7eyc6.jpg

Overall really happy with it.  Zero fail to feed or fail to fire or fail to eject.  Worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My spouse loves her's. I converted mine to 45. it took a few to work out a feeding issue. Now it's on the money.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top