Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Note non-ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, add $50+ to get it ramped.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I confess to toying with the idea of getting the $300 upper and sending the bolt to Rudy to ramp & Glock-profile but I've been strong so far
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're OK with the added cost of having the bolt ramped yourself, then go for it.  Rudy ramped the bolt I bought from PSA and it does look good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was the 10.5" barrel I would be a lot more interested.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was the 10.5" barrel I would be a lot more interested.
View Quote

OOS currently, but was in stock not long ago:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/psa-10-5-9mm-1-10-melonite-upper-with-bolt-and-charging-handle.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I just assembled one of the MOE kits. Runs like a Singer sewing machine...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I just assembled one of the MOE kits. Runs like a Singer sewing machine...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I admit I'm tempted...even though "Each upper is assembled to order, and test fired to check gas function."
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Note non-ramped bolt.
View Quote
Does ramping those 9mm bolts really improve performance?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is not a performance issue.......it is a compatibility issue.....ramped you can use any AR hammer...unramped you need a specially designed 9mm hammer.....an unramped bolt works fine with a hammer intended to run with it.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure PSA kits come with a standard hammer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct.  They are shipping unramped bolts with standard hammers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My two i ordered came with Ramped bolts and standard hammers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should be specific in the kit which bolt is supplied. mine was having some FTF issues that hopefully can be worked out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm somewhat confused.    Does this mean they will have problems unless the bolts are sent off to be ramped?  Or unless one acquires and installs a 9mm hammer?      If so, why would they sell them in this configuration?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
OST -

I would have bought if it was a 10.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It should be specific in the kit which bolt is supplied. mine was having some FTF issues that hopefully can be worked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kits I bought specified Non-Ramped bolt carriers, but included them. I have a feeling it was only until they ran out of non ramped, then all kits got ramped ones.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#21]
The 9mm upper I just bought was described as not having a ramped bolt but it came with one.. And of course between the time I ordered it and received  it I purchased a 9mm hammer...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OST -

I would have bought if it was a 10.5 7.5 barrel.
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The 9mm upper I just bought was described as not having a ramped bolt but it came with one.. And of course between the time I ordered it and received  it I purchased a 9mm hammer...
View Quote

I ordered 2 of them. Don't feel bad. One of my PSA uppers however has a barrel nut thats not lined up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up mine today.  Non-ramped bolt.  "A3" upper has no provision for dust cover or gas deflector (I should have looked at the picture on their site more carefully), but does have hole for gas tube.  Which is lucky, since their product description does say that each upper is "test fired to check gas function."  Haven't weighed the buffer or checked the barrel nut for tightness, but the front sight base appears lined up at first glance.

Assuming the magazine adapter fits without any issues and this feeds and functions properly, I'll be satisfied with the deal, but I admit the lack of dust cover and gas deflector gets me a little.  Still, that's on me.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my Kit today and assembled in 90 minutes using an RRA 9mm hammer

upper matches my dueling dicks lower perfectly

I will review it after test firing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Fixed
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OST -

I would have bought if it was a 10.5 7.5 barrel.

Fixed

Really doesn't matter how long the barrel is unless they start threading them 1/2 28.  You can have them cut to any length when you have them re-threaded to the common 9mm silencer thread pattern.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not a performance issue.......it is a compatibility issue.....ramped you can use any AR hammer...unramped you need a specially designed 9mm hammer.....an unramped bolt works fine with a hammer intended to run with it.

I am absolutely sure they do.  I am on hold with them right now, in order to discuss that.  Their phone customer service seems pretty good.  I e-mailed twice before I called.  The acknowledged a lack of technical knowledge on his part and is sending it to his armorers for a response.  The rep anticipates PSA sending a new 9mm hammer out.  I'm probably still going to have the bolt ramped because it also reduces the force needed to cock the hammer.

Once I get an official response from PSA, I plan to test fire with an unramped bolt and AR-15 hammer.  After that, I'll change to the AR-9 hammer and note any changes in performance.  Once the ramped bolt comes back, I'll note any changes there, too.

From what I have been told by shooters who are more experienced with the AR-9, the ramp and the hammer are intended to reduce the force that is transferred to the aluminum receiver via the hammer pin.  (I am hoping that a few test shots won't hurt it because I'm building it on a rather nice receiver (Thor), but I'll probably look for a generic receiver marked for Multi-cal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am absolutely sure they do.  I am on hold with them right now, in order to discuss that.  Their phone customer service seems pretty good.  I e-mailed twice before I called.  The acknowledged a lack of technical knowledge on his part and is sending it to his armorers for a response.  The rep anticipates PSA sending a new 9mm hammer out.  I'm probably still going to have the bolt ramped because it also reduces the force needed to cock the hammer.

Once I get an official response from PSA, I plan to test fire with an unramped bolt and AR-15 hammer.  After that, I'll change to the AR-9 hammer and note any changes in performance.  Once the ramped bolt comes back, I'll note any changes there, too.

From what I have been told by shooters who are more experienced with the AR-9, the ramp and the hammer are intended to reduce the force that is transferred to the aluminum receiver via the hammer pin.  (I am hoping that a few test shots won't hurt it because I'm building it on a rather nice receiver (Thor), but I'll probably look for a generic receiver marked for Multi-cal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KNS pins help too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered one of PSA's kits too and have a question about hammers. Has anyone used the DPMS rounded hammer for this? I've read a few reviews (other forums) that have used these without issue in a lower that they've used for both 5.56 and 9mm uppers. Until I can build a dedicated lower, I was planning on using my SIG M400 lower for this.
On the other hand, I might luck out and get a ramped BCG.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top