Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2014 5:44:28 AM EDT
Got my CMMG 4.5" yesterday. Now I need to figure out which handguards to get. It sticks out rougly 3.3 inches from the receiver.

Here it is with my 10.5" LMT upper.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got my CMMG 4.5" yesterday. Now I need to figure out which handguards to get. It sticks out rougly 3.3 inches from the receiver.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/20140409_182701_zpsd0006303.jpg

View Quote

silence it and use the same handguard as the top upper?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is my 4.5" 9mm SBR for inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks cold
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm waiting on my LGS to get some spectre II's in stock. So I have to find something to do in the meantime.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No, I'm waiting on my LGS to get some spectre II's in stock. So I have to find something to do in the meantime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

put a fake on it.
look here
or
here
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
How does that cycle?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It looks cold
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks cold

I WAS IN THE POOL!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

As pictured - looks like something out of the "Men in Black" armory.

Have fun!

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I WAS IN THE POOL!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks cold

I WAS IN THE POOL!!

THERE WAS SHRINKAGE!!!!!

Actually, gotta say thanks to the OP.  I have a 9mm barrel I'm planning to have cut down, but no silencers in this state, so I wanted to have basically just the muzzle flash sticking out from the end of a 4in pistol quad rail.

so it looks like I'll need about a 5.5in barrel to be how I want.

This is about the look I'm going for :

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember, the .22 barrel has more of the barrel inside of the receiver. Just so you keep that in mind when figuring length.

I just built a 9mm to match a 5.56 and that was slightly different too.

Does that make any sense
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remember, the .22 barrel has more of the barrel inside of the receiver. Just so you keep that in mind when figuring length.

I just built a 9mm to match a 5.56 and that was slightly different too.

Does that make any sense
View Quote

Yes - makes sense and good thing to point out.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Dedicated 6" AR in .22lr on top.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my lil .22 SBR

P.S. The comp is needed for the vicious .22 recoil and blast
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's my lil .22 SBR
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/BM22-3.jpg

View Quote

I'd probably grab the comp and blow off my fingers.  

Once blew the sideplate/cover off an AR-7 with my hand wrapped around the mag well.  

Hand hurt like heck for almost a week.  Turned funny colors too.

Say - is that a polymer lower? Are the pin holes holding up?

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
AR-15 SBR with dedicated .22LR upper using a Taccom 4" barrel and Sparrow suppressor.

Closeup pic where you can see where the barrel ends.

You can't tell in the pics but there is a 1/2x28 to Sparrow 1/2x28 adapter in between the Taccom barrel and the Sparrow.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
How much length does that adapter add?

Also, have you ever had an issue with the base of the suppressor sticking to the barrel threads?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like it has been swimming in a cold pool
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How much length does that adapter add?

Also, have you ever had an issue with the base of the suppressor sticking to the barrel threads?
View Quote

The adapter adds about 1/2 inch to the over all length.  The adapter has locktite to prevent it from unscrewing off the barrel.  The O-ring prevents the suppressor from unscrewing off the adapter.

Below is a pic I found on the net of the adapter.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I mean do you ever have the problem of not being able to get the suppressor off of the barrel, since its under those handguards. I've read about instances where the tube separates from the endcap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I mean do you ever have the problem of not being able to get the suppressor off of the barrel, since its under those handguards. I've read about instances where the tube separates from the endcap.
View Quote

There is plenty of tube to grab on to and I've had no problems unscrewing the suppressor from the adapter.

Keep in mind that since the Sparrow has an O ring to prevent gases from going back into the threads to make them seize up.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a video of my dedicated .22lr upper with 4" barrel being shot in full auto using a RR M-16 lower.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
4.5" barrel.
YHM handguard and cap.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Once blew the sideplate/cover off an AR-7 with my hand wrapped around the mag well.  

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my lil .22 SBR
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/BM22-3.jpg

YMMV

No problems at all with the FCG pin holes. It started life as a Bushmaster Pistol......added stock after Stamp came back. It switches from configuration to configuration. It's other configuration is a standard Magpul stock and a 7.5" 5.56 upper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

put a fake on it.
look here
or
here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

put a fake on it.
look here
or
here

I have a spikes fake can on mine:
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious as to the reason for the adapter.  The threads are already 1/2x28 right?

I ask because I've got a sparrow in jail and a pending form 1 so I can install the 4.5" cmmg barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm curious as to the reason for the adapter.  The threads are already 1/2x28 right?

I ask because I've got a sparrow in jail and a pending form 1 so I can install the 4.5" cmmg barrel.
View Quote

The Taccom 4" barrel has threads that go to the tip of the muzzle.  The Sparrow uses "Sparrow threads" which have a space at the muzzle end for an internal O ring to prevent unscrewing and gases from going back into the threads.

The point of the adapter is to convert regular 1/2 x28 to sparrow 1/2x28.

See the pic below (shamelessly borrowed) which shows barrels with both types of threads.

I think the CMMG barrel you bought has the Sparrow threads so you wouldn't need the adapter.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#27]
correct. CMMG threads are sparrow/spectre threads
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#28]
No gas block or tube? Can anyone explain how the gas system works with a barrel that small?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No gas block or tube? Can anyone explain how the gas system works with a barrel that small?
View Quote

It is a .22LR which is does not have a gas system because it is blowback.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I keep trying myself from starting another project with my second lower and trying to leave it be to not spend the money.... and you fuckers aren't helping on damn bit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#31]

I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I keep trying myself from starting another project with my second lower and trying to leave it be to not spend the money.... and you fuckers aren't helping on damn bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had a set up just like this.  Same YHM rail.  I loved it.  When eForms started and worked I filed a From 1 on it.  I got the Form 1 back so it has a stock now but I am leaning toward building another 4" upper to make this set up again.  It was fun.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I run a 7" BAR rail on my 4.5" CMMG barrel and a 5.5" flash hider until I get a suppressor.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  I didn't know that dedicated uppers are that way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Taccom 4" barrel has threads that go to the tip of the muzzle.  The Sparrow uses "Sparrow threads" which have a space at the muzzle end for an internal O ring to prevent unscrewing and gases from going back into the threads.

See the pic below (shamelessly borrowed) which shows barrels with both types of threads.

I think the CMMG barrel you bought has the Sparrow threads so you wouldn't need the adapter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation.  Not to side track this thread but I have a tactical solutions x-ring barrel on my 10/22 and it looks like the threads go all the way to the end so should I get one of these adapters if I want to put my sparrow on it?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the top barrel from CMMG?  If so, what is the thread/flatspot length from the shoulder of the CMMG barrel?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All .22LR in an AR-15 is blowback.  It doesn't matter if it is a dedicated upper or a drop in .223 conversion bolt.  The only difference between the two is the conversion bolt has the subcaliber insert on the front while the bolt for the dedicated upper has a collar instead.  Note: You can take the insert off a CMMG bolt and swap it with a collar.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation.  Not to side track this thread but I have a tactical solutions x-ring barrel on my 10/22 and it looks like the threads go all the way to the end so should I get one of these adapters if I want to put my sparrow on it?

Thanks again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again.

While you don't have to get the adapter, what will happen if you don't have one, is that your O ring will get chewed up by the threads with continued installation / removal and gas will get back into the threads.  I elected to get one of the adapters to avoid those problems.  I just looked at my receipt and with shipping, I paid $33.53 for it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#39]
You can buy a shit load of 1/2 o rings for 33.50ish
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Is the top barrel from CMMG?  If so, what is the thread/flatspot length from the shoulder of the CMMG barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w676/8afuzzball/barrels_zps37b191f1.jpg

The top barrel is not from CMMG, just one I found a picture of to illustrate the difference in the threads.

Here are the specs.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
  While you don't have to get the adapter, what will happen if you don't have one, is that your O ring will get chewed up by the threads with continued installation / removal and gas will get back into the threads.  I elected to get one of the adapters to avoid those problems.  I just looked at my receipt and with shipping, I paid $33.53 for it.
View Quote

That is a better price than the silencerco website, did you get that online?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

I agree about the price difference between the adapter and the O rings as I picked up some spare O rings from the Silencer Shop for $5.  Note: that inner O ring looks like it will be a bitch to change.

However, in addition to O ring damage, I had other reasons, notably my original calculations prior to receiving all the parts put the end of the Sparrow right at the end of my hand guard and the adapter was a good way to extend the length so I could have enough of the suppressor sticking out to unscrew.  The other reason was that I was concerned that the suppressor would loosen up without proper O ring engagement.

As you can see in the pic, I ended up with more of the Sparrow sticking out that I expected.  That was due in part to the hand rail being shorter that what the web site said and that the Sparrow was longer than the measurements I found on the web.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got it from BudsGunShop.Com for $23.53 plus $10 shipping.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree about the price difference between the adapter and the O rings as I picked up some spare O rings from the Silencer Shop for $5.  Note: that inner O ring looks like it will be a bitch to change.

However, in addition to O ring damage, I had other reasons, notably my original calculations prior to receiving all the parts put the end of the Sparrow right at the end of my hand guard and the adapter was a good way to extend the length so I could have enough of the suppressor sticking out to unscrew.  The other reason was that I was concerned that the suppressor would loosen up without proper O ring engagement.

As you can see in the pic, I ended up with more of the Sparrow sticking out that I expected.  That was due in part to the hand rail being shorter that what the web site said and that the Sparrow was longer than the measurements I found on the web.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do inside o rings on pressure connectors all the time, get a small dental pick, push one side down to the groove then work both ways. it'll go quick after a little practice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is a video of my suppressed SBR .22lr upper in full auto on a RR M-16 lower.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I've had a Sparrow supressor for a few years now. It's used on several short barreled (4.5") hosts and still has the original o-ring.

I would classify the use it gets as moderate to heavy.

None of the hosts have special threading.

No problems with suppressor loosening or becoming difficult to remove.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's my little blaster, the barrel needs to be cut down to 4" and maybe a new hand guard, this little one is fun

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w625/zavalaoscarl/Guns/IMG_3591-Copy_zps01453da7.jpg
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Here's my little blaster, the barrel needs to be cut down to 4" and maybe a new hand guard, this little one is fun

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w625/zavalaoscarl/Guns/IMG_3591-Copy_zps01453da7.jpg
View Quote

Kinda looks like Han Solo's gun

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda looks like Han Solo's gun

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w676/8afuzzball/HanSolo_zpsb1ebf747.png

LOL!  Would be a good prop - a "modernized" blaster.  

The C96 was 80+ years old when the original Star Wars was made.  It's about 118 years old now.

The AR design is only about 57 years old....

YMMV

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread is right up my ally. I'm looking at building/buying a .22lr 4.5" upper.

Is there a write-up on assembling a dedicated pistol/SBR .22lr upper? A part list? Best barrel to go with, and why?

I'm looking to build it on a budget, so any budget conscious advice would be much appreciated.

I'm going to be putting my Octane 45HD on it until my Spectre II gets out of ATF jail.

I normally just assemble the lower and buy a complete upper, so this would be my first upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top