Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2014 4:05:09 AM EDT
Lately I've been thinking about converting my A2-style rifle from 6.8 SPC to 5.56 NATO. Reason being is that I want to have greater parts commonality with my other AR.

I'm mainly looking for a 20 inch, government profile chrome-moly barrel with a 1:7" twist rate and either having a chrome-lined bore & chamber or a nitrated finish. All for around $240 or less. Also, I'm planing to have a gunsmith do this since I don't have the experience, space, nor tools to do the conversion.

While I have been looking around and found some great barrels, I just thought I might ask to see what you guy's opinions are and/or your experience with them.

The links below are the ones I've been thinking about choosing.

BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-Rifle-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-20%20std.htm

Windham Weaponry: http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=309

And finally Green Mountain: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/20-5-56mm-m16-a2-a-r-barrel-1-7-twist/

Also, is it OK to use a bolt from a different manufacturer or is it more prudent to use one from the same people who make the barrel?

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Of your choices, I have had WW and GM.  Go WW,  I have never shot a BCM.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
BCM gets my vote.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My 20" WW is a good barrel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I did an a4 with the WW. Was a nail driver. Should've kept it :(
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Bro Tip: GM barrels and WW barrels are... GM barrels. Read it from the WW rep with mine own eyes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an A1 I built with an generic govt barrel. Nice shooter.

Mil spec means that parts should fit.
When it's done make sure they head space it to make sure of the barrel/bolt fit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Id go with the WW its less expensive than the BCM and it already comes assembled with FSB.
I owned a 20" BCM gov profile upper and it was just fine, very good...but I also have a USGI FN 20" upper that shoots just as good.
You're not going to see much of a difference in performance and accuracy no matter whose barrel you use when it comes to standard service rifle grade barrels....They all should be great. Even a Model 1 sales 20" government barrel is good (ill get poo pood for that but its true)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want the "ultimate" barrel, get one of the new FN 20" CHF GI profile barrels.  Of course this is also the most expensive option, as not only will you have to pay for the barrel which is pricey, but will also have to buy a non F FSB and pay to have it installed.

WW barrel assembly would be the cheapest option available, should also be a good quality barrel.  

Model 1 sales will be the cheapest place to buy a new A2 upper already assembled.  Will also have the proper GI profile barrel that is chrome lined and 1-7 twist (though unfortunately, I've heard they now use F marked FSBs).

If you don't care about total authenticity, Del-Ton offers a 20" light weight barrel that is 1-9 twist and has an option for chrome lining.  This will be a better general purpose field grade barrel than the typical GI profile that is heavy contoured in the front.

Can buy the complete upper from Del Ton or just the entire barrel assembly, which includes everything you need to attach to an upper (including handgaurds, front sight post, gas tube, etc).  Can select a non F FSB too.

The chrome lining feature isn't selectable on the site, but if you request it in the comments section they will give it to you.  I ordered one this way myself.

Del Ton's complete barrel assembly will be even cheaper than WW's.  Of course, it won't be as "authentic" but I actually view it as superior.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 20" WW is a good barrel.
View Quote

I second that.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out this option as previously mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad they give you a bunch of info on them. Price? M4 feed ramp cuts on the 20" barrel?  F marked or standard FSB?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:23:48 AM EDT
[#14]
It looks like FN barrels don't have the fsb on them. You would have to send off to have the fsb installed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm glad they give you a bunch of info on them. Price? M4 feed ramp cuts on the 20" barrel?  F marked or standard FSB?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called FN, they don't sell to the public. You have to find a distributor. I called several distributors in my area and none of them carry or can get the barrel (doesn't make sense to me, but they said they can't even order them).

See this thread.

Brownells sells the barrels. ADCO will install a customer supplied FSB with taper pins for $115. The thread linked to above mentions some folks who can install the FSB for less than that. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I called FN, they don't sell to the public. You have to find a distributor. I called several distributors in my area and none of them carry or can get the barrel (doesn't make sense to me, but they said they can't even order them).

See this thread.

Brownells sells the barrels. ADCO will install a customer supplied FSB with taper pins for $115. The thread linked to above mentions some folks who can install the FSB for less than that. Good luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See this thread.

http://www.fnhusa.com/dealers/

Have you tried searching on FNH's dealer locator? ^link^

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Indeed. That's how I found the dealers near me who can't get the barrel
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL. Geez, that figures. An authorized dealer that can't order products. Only in America.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL. Geez, that figures. An authorized dealer that can't order products. Only in America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be that I inquired too early. This was several days after the press release announcing the barrels. If you're willing to spend the money I believe you'll get a top notch barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
How about a 1/8 twist and a Wylde chamber in Government profile?  RRA has a stainless in 1/8 and Wylde chamber but it's a heavy profile.
kwg
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
My vote is for the WW.  100% mil-spec from the steel, the heat-treating, the hard-chromed bore, to the parkerizing.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top