Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally received mine.  Fit and finish is excellent and it is super lightweight!  Ordered the Extended Mount.

Not too sure about the ring attachment.  Had to "purposefully" put some "cant" in the reticle to get it to level up with my laser line and plumb line when the rings were fully tightened down.

Problem is when you fully tighten the rings, the scope rotates slightly and kept taking the reticle out of alignment.

I did a search and found a Magazine Review where the Author had the same problem, but again, it's easy to fix ... just time consuming.

Advice to Aero - change the design on the rings to add top bolts and get rid of the "groove lockup".  

Might add a little bit of weight, but would be  a lot easier to assure leveling of the reticle.  My 2 cents ...  

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Update:

Leveled my Rifle to a Plumb Grid I made years ago and the Scope tracked PERFECTLY on both Windage and Elevation.  

Everything should be good to go.  Will shoot it on paper this weekend and track it up and down to make sure it's absolutely perfect.  

Thanks again Aero Precision.  Other than the peculiar (but effective) Ring Attachment - it's a badass mount.  Can't believe it's less than 3 ounces!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the possibility of making a mount that has QD attachment?  I'd like to be able to rapidly mount /dismount scope as required.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ordering one for my AR-10.  That thing is a pig and I'm looking to shave weight wherever possible.
View Quote

Got it mounted up on the AR-10 and it is a thing of beauty.  Very pleased with the mount.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap!!

Got mine today and mounted it up with the Vortex 1-4 and daddy likes! This mount weighs next to nothing. I have yet to get it mounted up perfect and will do so tomorrow. I am too tired to get it done right tonight. Can't wait till Sunday (range day) to get the zero set.

Thanks Aero. I will be back for another soon for the wife's rig.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Guys,

I want to use one of these Ultra light mounts with a Burris FullField E1 3-9x40 scope on a flat top AR.

Would you recomend I  go with the standard or extended version?

I like to shoot w my nose an inch or so back from the charging handle

appreciate the adive, Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

I want to use one of these Ultra light mounts with a Burris FullField E1 3-9x40 scope on a flat top AR.

Would you recomend I  go with the standard or extended version?

I like to shoot w my nose an inch or so back from the charging handle

appreciate the adive, Thanks
View Quote

Extended for sure.  I "might" have been able to get away with the standard mount since I'm using a 1-4 power scope, but you definitely need the extended mount with a 3-9 power.  It's a great lightweight mount ...  no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a Pic of mine (crappy cell phone pic, so apologize in advance) and I'm also using a fixed stock as this is a combo rig - Predator Hunting and 3-Gun Rifle:

You can see in the pic that I have my mount way back on the top of the Receiver - I could have pushed it up a tad bit, but eye relief on all settings was perfect here with the optic centered in the rings.

If you're shooting with your nose 1" behind the Charging Handle - without a doubt - you'll need the Extended Mount.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome thanks, that's what I figured. but wanted some feedback to be sure.

I'll be clicking in my order at Aero Precision momentarily
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Wanted to share my extended mount with a Burris MTAC. I was worried about the position as I also shoot NTCH -1". With the Burris at 1x, the eye box is right where I want it. You'll notice that I have the mount & the scope pushed fully forward to get it right. It works great, but I have no more adjustment left. At 4x, I have to slide up completely NTCH. I love that it has three cross bolts (Larue only has two). What really hooked me was the weight & it is LITE!
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my 30mm extended mount today, wow is this thing light, I like it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have one of the new SPR versions? Are there any pictures floating around?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The upper ring interface is actually one of the things I really like about the Aero.  The slight scope rotation was pretty easy to overcome.        

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
300BLK with SPR profile carbine-gas barrel.  Just under 6# unloaded, just over 7# with scope and mount.  My scientific scale put the AP SPR mount at 3.38oz.

UPS truck was late, or I would have had these yesterday.

I didnt have any problems keeping the scope straight while I tightened the rings down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to see someone verify the weight, thanks.
I had a Friday delivery as well, the images on the AP website do not do the mounts justice.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I had a Friday delivery as well, the images on the AP website do not do the mounts justice.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/cutamerc/Forum/2014-05-02170112.jpg

View Quote
What's that all over your zoom lever? Shrink wrap?  And why did you do it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The upper ring interface is actually one of the things I really like about the Aero.  The slight scope rotation was pretty easy to overcome.          
View Quote

I like the "look" and weight savings of the upper ring interface as well, but I'm still convinced it's a design flaw in this mount.

I'd like to know your technique if it was easy.

Having to guess how much to purposefully "cant" the reticle so when tightened up it was level was not easy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a "Cat Tail" for better manipulation of magnification settings.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have the details(make, model, etc.) of that Cat Tail?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely agree. I had no problems, a few tries and it was dead on. I don't even see how it could be a complaint.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Where are you getting the extra extended mount?  I am not seeing it on their web site.

Thanks

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where are you getting the extra extended mount?  I am not seeing it on their web site.

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

Quoted:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mount/aero-precision-spr-30mm-scope-mount.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I see that now.  I was hoping to get a 1" SPR

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Quoted:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mount/aero-precision-spr-30mm-scope-mount.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
RC51 is on it, it's just a home-made cat tail. Nothing to it really to make one, just find a way to bring the two ends of a strip of donor hose-clamp together and cover everything in heatshrink. Grips the ring extremely tight and very cheap to make. Top picture was prior to clamping, so it ends up being a little narrower. They don't look half bad imo. Bottom picture is before hitting the exposed bit with a Sharpie.
Pardon the cluttered bench.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice home-made fix.  I call "cat tails" zoom levers.  I just don't like the term cat tail, a small thing.  

I think it took me a couple of tries to get the reticle straight.  It was just trial and error.  Start to tighten down the rings, see the rotation, loosen, rotate slightly, tighten etc.  10 mins.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice home-made fix.  I call "cat tails" zoom levers.  I just don't like the term cat tail, a small thing.  

I think it took me a couple of tries to get the reticle straight.  It was just trial and error.  Start to tighten down the rings, see the rotation, loosen, rotate slightly, tighten etc.  10 mins.
View Quote

Now I'm following. Zoom lever is probably superior since it doesn't give cats any more undue credit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
looking forward to a qd mount but mine turned out awesome

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Question, if you're not running back up optics, does getting the original or extended version of the scope matter? I shoot NTCH. Appreciate any input
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on the eye relief of the scope. I always get the extended mounts, you can always position the scope in the mount forward or to the rear in the mount. Or you can move the mount to different slots.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
My 4-14 scope mounted with an aero mount sits about 2.5" from the top of the barrel to the center of the scope.  It is right at 2.75"-3" from center of the barrel to the center of the scope.  I'm not sure if this is the correct "number" to use when entering data into ballistics calculators.  This is for my MEGA 308

I haven't measured my AR15 yet, but I use a 1-6x scope on that one with the same aero mount.  I"m guessing that is right around 2-2.5"
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered a Leupold VX-6 1-6x for my newest AR (My second I love this stuff).  It's going on a 16 inch mid-length flat top.  Am I correct that I should order the extended version of this for my needs?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't really post here but had to comment on this mount. I got one of the 30mm extended for a Vortex 1-4. When I received the box I thought it was empty, lol.

I love love love this mount. I have come to expect quality from AP and I have never been disappointed in them.

Really nice part! This makes the PEPR mount I had seem so ridiculously clunky. I like the lo profile mounting screws.

Also, came with a handy little screwdriver thingy that is very useful and a nice addition to my rifle bag. Pretty sweet deal.

The price/performance ratio is in a world by itself in my opinion! Total AP fanboy here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Charlie Drissel invented & named 'em Cat Tails
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I still don't like it and won't use it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are your issues with the AP scope mounts?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Still waiting for QD model. This would go great with my aero upper and lower I just bought.
View Quote

This...^.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This...^.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still waiting for QD model. This would go great with my aero upper and lower I just bought.

This...^.

That
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No issue with the mount.  I have one and think it's great.  What I don't like is the term "cattail" and won't use it, no matter who invented it. Read the post just above my previous post.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No issue with the mount.  I have one and think it's great.  What I don't like is the term "cattail" and won't use it, no matter who invented it. Read the post just above my previous post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok...couldn't figure out what you meant because I thought you posted that you liked the mounts earlier in this thread....which you did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#40]
To any AP Rep. following this thread....

Are there plans for the same mounts with QD??

If the answer is yes I do hope you guys can keep the price a lot cheaper than whats out there.  I have had a hard time justifying the purchase of the ones I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#41]
So, five months in, are sales good enough for a 34mm?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I really need you guys to come out with a QD mount to put my Bobro out of business :/
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Found this thread via google...

Would this scope mount hold up to the recoil of a 45-70?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally mounted up my Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40. I purchased the standard mount before there was an extended available. I am glad I did. It is perfect for hunting. I do not shoot ntch, especially while hunting. I love this mount. It was a little tricky getting the crosshairs level as I tightened the mount.  The scope wants to rotate to the right as you tighten up the screws. You have to fudge for this and find a way to make it finish at dead level. I made it work. I love the lightweight. This replaced a pepr mount and I lost 7+ oz by going to this mount. The rotation during mounting could be better, but overall I am satisfied.

I might be looking at another in the near future.  

Good luck !
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I now have three of these mounts, so far so good. I don't care for the torque head screws, I don't normally carry torque head tools with me to the range or field, so I'd much prefer a standard or Phillips screw head or even hex head.

They are very light, thin and pretty tall. Part of me thinks that they might not stand up to abuse (dropping and so on) very well. Is there a torture test video out there? Or do we have a volunteer to throw one down the driveway?

Overall, the product seems like a good value for the money, and AP seems like a good company to deal with. .
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay - I'm baffled - I have looked at the pics on the Aero precision web site and can seem no mounting screws for the mount.

How do you secure the mount to the rail?? Froggies magic wand?

I would like to order, but hesitate in case there is some thing that I am not seeing and I got the mount and cannot use it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay - I'm baffled - I have looked at the pics on the Aero precision web site and can seem no mounting screws for the mount.

How do you secure the mount to the rail?? Froggies magic wand?

I would like to order, but hesitate in case there is some thing that I am not seeing and I got the mount and cannot use it.
View Quote

They are there.  Three  torque head  mounting screws along the side of the mount.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Okay - maybe they photoshopped the pics to make them look gorgeous! Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#49]
How about a 20 MOA variant?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I wish you guys would make standard scope rings for bolt action rifles etc.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top