Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2016 5:31:34 PM EDT
Considering that we now have M4's as a main weapon, the Marines have the M27 as a magazine fed squad auto, and the M249 as a 5.56 MG, is the M63 beginning to look like a serious lack of vision on the part of the US Military?

I'll give you that it needed a good bit of tweaking before it was really ready for prime time, but we could have had a whole lot more versatility out of our small arms a good 40 years ago.  I think the military really missed a real opportunity to field what would have eventually become a much superior weapon system.  

The problem is, we were just WAY behind on the learning curve when the Stoner came out.  The Russians very early saw the need for a mix of weapons such as that, but we were still married to the idea that one rifle would just be everything to everyone.  Too bad.  

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting, I didn't realize the Marines were actually fielding the M27. I just read something in passing about it a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting, I didn't realize the Marines were actually fielding the M27. I just read something in passing about it a few years ago.
View Quote

My old unit got them right after I got out, late 2012 IRRC

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Stoner.  A true missed opportunity.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't work service wide.

See, the Marines are special snowflakes that have to have different gear and uniforms than the rest of the DOD.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting point.  I just read up a bit on the M27.   Amazing how long it took to basically redevelop a piston driven select fire M4/M16 variant.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The Marine Corp was in favor of the Stoner 63 and on track to adopt it. When it came time to pay up the bean counters bought new jets instead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The seals liked them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

See, the Marines are special snowflakes that have to have different gear and uniforms than the rest of the DOD.
View Quote

Because the Marines are better
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering that we now have M4's as a main weapon, the Marines have the M27 as a magazine fed squad auto, and the M240 as a 5.56 MG, is the M63 beginning to look like a serious lack of vision on the part of the US Military?

I'll give you that it needed a good bit of tweaking before it was really ready for prime time, but we could have had a whole lot more versatility out of our small arms a good 40 years ago.  I think the military really missed a real opportunity to field what would have eventually become a much superior weapon system.  

The problem is, we were just WAY behind on the learning curve when the Stoner came out.  The Russians very early saw the need for a mix of weapons such as that, but we were still married to the idea that one rifle would just be everything to everyone.  Too bad.  

What do you think?
View Quote

M240 is a 7.62 weapon.
Did you mean M249?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for using the term "special" and not retarded.

We appreciate it.

ETA- just saw your username...looks like you appreciate it too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I really wish somebody did a semi auto version of them.

I belt and magazine fed .223 with quick swap barrel lengths would be up my alley.

The semi M249 seems silly to me in that it will always be a big and relatively heavy semi belt fed. The Stoner would have the option of being equally as stupid but also the ability to be a mag fed shorter and lighter carbine.

If anybody is listening I would pay semi M249 kind of prices for a semi 63 clone with available options.

In the mean time I'll continue with my Robinson M96 and its total lack of support.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

M240 is a 7.62 weapon.
Did you mean M249?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering that we now have M4's as a main weapon, the Marines have the M27 as a magazine fed squad auto, and the M240 as a 5.56 MG, is the M63 beginning to look like a serious lack of vision on the part of the US Military?

What do you think?

M240 is a 7.62 weapon.
Did you mean M249?
Woops, good catch.  I fixed it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I really wish somebody did a semi auto version of them.

In the mean time I'll continue with my Robinson M96 and its total lack of support.

View Quote
This^^^

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Marine Corp was in favor of the Stoner 63 and on track to adopt it. When it came time to pay up the bean counters bought new jets instead.
View Quote

The modular concept was just ahead of its time.  Truely a missed opportunity
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Have read that the Stoner 86 and Stoner 96 are great designs too. Supposedly better than the M249 but they were late to the game.

ARKAR
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top