Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2016 5:55:18 PM EDT
If some of you guys are on weaponsguild, you know the story behind many of the people who got ripped off. Cliffs: Dude promises authentic 80%ers, delivers nothing, I buy the mistakes so he can afford to remake the promised ones, he delivers a bunch of screwups, and nobody hears from him again.

I've been hanging onto these screwups to build myself toys as time/money allows. Most of them won't hold a trigger-guard they're so far out of spec. I pulled out one of the better looking ones, and milled it out. Not bad, machined like 7075-T6, just like every other one I've ever done.

It's mid 90s here today, and below 60% humidity for once, so I threw some Alumahyde II on it. The markings are EXTREMELY shallow, but meh. Not bad for what I paid.

Two images, slightly different DOF on each so you can see how bad the engraving is. I'm half tempted to lay a bead down on it to make it look like a reweld.

How am I doing so far on this clone build thing?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a depot re-anodize.

Got a finished one you need to get rid of to make space?  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad looking. BUT it looks like a later non retro A2 receiver to me. (At least around the front pivot pin hole)  But I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not bad looking. BUT it looks like a later non retro A2 receiver to me. (At least around the front pivot pin hole)  But I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, as best I can tell the seller of these didn't rework the pivot holes. He did rework the buffer tower though... So who knows. A couple others look like they were attacked with an angle grinder, so this was definitely the best out of the bunch. The 80% came from a shitty situation, and I'm not really concerned about a stronger front pivot. I'll just try to make everything else as accurate as possible.

Quoted:
Looks like a depot re-anodize.

Got a finished one you need to get rid of to make space?  

Thanks. I'm trying to go for a depot refresh, because otherwise I won't be able to afford the parts, lol. Nope, no finished ones.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Progress:

Got a grip, stock, and a rifle handguard. Unfortunately the stock's lower screw is rusted/seized to the sling loop, so I'm going to have to drill it, replace the sling loop, and put a new one in to replace the cracked butt plate.

You can really see how bad the engraving is now that the alumahyde has cured.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't found an A1 upper yet, but it's close. Still has my suppressor mount muzzle device on it too.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not just get one of these uppers? http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]

awptickes, not that I want to be nit-picking your build, which looks Great. I love seeing these 80%  builds.

But you need to put an old style Safety/Selector on it instead of that new unit that you have on there now.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

awptickes, not that I want to be nit-picking your build, which looks Great. I love seeing these 80%  builds.

But you need to put an old style Safety/Selector on it instead of that new unit that you have on there now.

View Quote

Crap, you're right. On it. ETA: and I need to find a 603 mag catch too.

And I'm going to call Nodak about one of those 603 uppers, after I see what breaks loose here in about 60 days or so.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top