Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2015 12:00:09 AM EDT
Just getting ready to send in my 603 & 607 upper and lower receivers to Victor at US Anodizing.  Question is, what colors should I use on each one?

They have their Early Gray & their Pre Ban gray.  Which is most authentic on each of these receivers?

Thanks for your expertise!

-Mark
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just getting ready to send in my 603 & 607 upper and lower receivers to Victor at US Anodizing.  Question is, what colors should I use on each one?

They have their Early Gray & their Pre Ban gray.  Which is most authentic on each of these receivers?

Thanks for your expertise!

-Mark
View Quote

Just tell Victor that you want the same gray that Nodak Spud uses. I am not sure if it is Early Gray or Pre-Ban Gray. It is hard to tell from the color samples on US Anodizing's website. I had them do an XM16E1 upper for me to match a Nodak Spud lower and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of using the Pre Ban Gray on the 603 & the Early Gray on the 607.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pre-ban gray has a bluish tint to it, which matches well with more modern Colt and FN A2's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pre-ban gray has a bluish tint to it, which matches well with more modern Colt and FN A2's.
View Quote
thanks maybe I'll just do both in the Early then.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that I look at it again, the Early Gray is what Nodak uses on their lowers and uppers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got an Email from Victor.  THEY ARE NOT TAKING ANY ORDERS UNTIL AT LEAST FIRST OF THE YEAR!

*#@%??©ƒ??ˆ%^"{%!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got an Email from Victor.  THEY ARE NOT TAKING ANY ORDERS UNTIL AT LEAST FIRST OF THE YEAR!

*#@%??©ƒ??ˆ%^"{%!!!!!!!!
View Quote

The silver lining to this is Imma be broke from Black Friday specials til then anyway
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd vote early grey on both, fwiw.

Are they still charing $145 for an upper alone?
It used to be around $70 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
$100 for an upper or lower was what I heard.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
$350 for an upper, lower, delta and CH

http://www.usanodizing.com/pricing.htm

worht it I'm sure if you want the best...
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Reviving this for a bit of clarity.  I am ready to send three uppers and lowers to US Anodizers, as soon as they are ready for civilian orders.  

My question is, Which of the Two grays that they have,(see below) should I use on the following:

Colt 607/GX5857

H&R M16A1

Colt M16A1

I'm leaning towards Early Gray on the 607, and the other two in Pre Ban which appears lighter

Your thoughts on this please

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to go with the early gray on my 80% and engraved 607 lower. The Colt early upper I have is just about the same color with black posts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
It might not be accurate, but if I were going to send something off to US Anodizing I would get it done in the Pre-Ban gray to make it really stand out.

I personally like the darker Early Gray / XM Gray that NDS uses on all their receivers but if I were paying the extra money I think I'd get something a little different.

Hopefully someone will come along and post the picture of NDS receivers done in the different grays.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Late join to the conversation, but depending on eras.....the "Pre-Ban Grey" came into use around the same time as the trapdoor buttstock, so around 1971.  Now, knowing that, the metals do not take to every piece the same, and thus some of the "XM Grey" will look "Pre-Ban Grey"....and vice versa.    You can also get the XM grey, sand it lightly to create a distressed almost pre-ban grey look if you decide you want to change it.

Hopefully that'll help you.
v/r,
Jon
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top