Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 4:47:43 PM EDT
So I am taking the plunge and cutting my Daniel Defense barrel down and getting the moderator and ring installed.  Is there a particular position the wrench flats need to be in? flat side parallel to the ground, or facing you if you look at the side?  This seems like a dumb question, but I have to explain to a gunsmith what I want, also, what is everyone using to make those flats line up, peel washers?   any help would be appreciated, im pretty sure Morg will read this and laugh
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen both on this forum, but I believe the wrench flats are supposed to be timed horizontally unlike the A2 birdcage.

I'd wait for a retro head to chime in before taking my word for it though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Torque to 15-20 ft lbs... the wrench flats go wherever they randomly end up.

With that said, when I install the moderators for a "permanent installation" (pinned/welded), I try to torque them so the wrench flats are either straight vertical or straight horizontal... just for cosmetics.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought they were screwed on hand tight with a split washer under the grenade ring.

I can check with a guy that has an original XM177 with Colt moderator....
View Quote

In practice, often a lock washer is installed.  However, if you look at the original factory drawings, no lock washer is shown as part of the assembly.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The installation of the moderator with the grenade launcher ring should have a split lock washer under the grenade ring. Not peel washers, crush washers or spacers or anything else. The wrench flats position are a matter of preference, but it doesn't matter. -W

ETA: I see the manual you have shows it without a washer. It's funny, because I have built a few of these uppers and had the moderators pinned and welded with the grenade rings and the washers. The shop that did it is a big popular shop and I wonder why they didn't catch it. Thanks for the update. No problem. -W
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The installation of the moderator with the grenade launcher ring should have a split lock washer under the grenade ring. Not peel washers, crush washers or spacers or anything else. The wrench flats position are a matter of preference, but it doesn't matter. -W
View Quote

I'm not the brightest bulb in the candelabra but I think I remember reading a long spirited debate on here about that very topic and someone smart who was in a position to know said no lock washer with the grenade ring.

Someone else had a diagram from an early FM with an exploded view that showed no lock washer.

Someone smart remember that thread? Anyone? Beuller?

To quote Winnie the Pooh "I often times don't know what I'm talking about."
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not the brightest bulb in the candelabra but I think I remember reading a long spirited debate on here about that very topic and someone smart who was in a position to know said no lock washer with the grenade ring.

Someone else had a diagram from an early FM with an exploded view that showed no lock washer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B, you are correct on this recollection.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=481642

^^Scroll down to the pics from 45Bravo

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/585446_FINISHED__Reproduction_XM177E2_manual_.html

^^The XM177E2 manual from 57Octane

ETA: the manual also had another name for the "grenade ring" but damned if I can remember it
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/585446_FINISHED__Reproduction_XM177E2_manual_.html

ETA: the manual also had another name for the "grenade ring" but damned if I can remember it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the manual I'm looking at: PRELIMINARY OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL, the Grenade Ring is called: WASHER, SUPPRESSOR. Figure No. 1 Item No. 13. This information was taken from POMM 9-1005-294-14/1. OPERATION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND REPLACEMEMENT PARTS SUBMACHINEGUN GUN, 5.56-MM, XM177E2. JULY 1967

And in the picture shown it's a little bit larger than the standard split washer. Definitely the Grenade Ring. No split washer shown or mentioned. To add havoc: The lower receiver shown is a partial fence.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Even a blind pig finds an acorn (of truth) every now and again!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had to do it over again I would have asked to ensure that mine was installed straight before it was pin welded. If someone is cutting the barrel and threading it should NOT be a problem to get it to line up, turn the tap a little more if needed. Bugs the crap out of me that the flats no where close to being straight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Worked it out, they will be timed going vertical from 6 to 12. Super stoked I should have it back by the beginning of next week.  Luckily the gentleman I talk to at the LGS is a retro enthusiast, so between him and me, the gunsmith should have no issues getting what I want done.  A shame I had to use the 653 build to make it happen, but ohh well. That daniel defense barrel I have should do well at 12.8 inch of length before moderator
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Here we go again, THERE IS NO SPLIT RING LOCK WASHER INSTALLED FROM THE FACTORY on an XM177E2.
As said above, the "grenade ring"  as WE call it is referred to in the manuals as "washer, suppressor" and has a Colt part number XM7128. Federal stock number 1005-087-9001
The standard split ring washer used on all other versions is Colt part number 62126. I can't at this time get to my sealed pack of 10 split ring lock washers to type out the federal stock number for those, but trust me, IT IS NOT THE SAME as the "washer,suppressor".
Torque the moderator to 15-20 Lbs as jt mentioned above and be done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
XM177E2     FSN 1005-087-9001 WASHER,SUPPRESSOR         Part No XM7128
XM16E1       FSN 1005-992-7280  WASHER, LOCK, FLASH SUPPRESSOR      Part No 62126

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Private Snafu.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In the manual I'm looking at: PRELIMINARY OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL, the Grenade Ring is called: WASHER, SUPPRESSOR. Figure No. 1 Item No. 13. This information was taken from POMM 9-1005-294-14/1. OPERATION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND REPLACEMEMENT PARTS SUBMACHINEGUN GUN, 5.56-MM, XM177E2. JULY 1967

And in the picture shown it's a little bit larger than the standard split washer. Definitely the Grenade Ring. No split washer shown or mentioned. To add havoc: The lower receiver shown is a partial fence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Snip

Snip

suppressor washer, so simple yet so hard to remember

There are pics of Colt's prototype XM177E2's with partial fence lowers, I still believe these were E1 Commando lowers used to evaluate the new longer barrels rather than lowers roll marked as XM177E2's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
If I install them  for a "pin & weld I run the flats vertical. I think it looks better and I get a longer pin. Turning the tap more won't help because they but up against the shoulder.

To get moderators ( or flash hiders for that matter) I chuck them in a lathe and remove the correct amount to let them thread on more.

Divide 1" by 28 (thds/in) and multiply that by the fractional amount of rotation you need. Remove that and you're good to go.

Yes. it's a PITA, yes I'm anal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I install them  for a "pin & weld I run the flats vertical. I think it looks better and I get a longer pin. Turning the tap more won't help because they but up against the shoulder.

To get moderators ( or flash hiders for that matter) I chuck them in a lathe and remove the correct amount to let them thread on more.

Divide 1" by 28 (thds/in) and multiply that by the fractional amount of rotation you need. Remove that and you're good to go.

View Quote

there you go bringing math and logic into the discussion
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerrell, you the man!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
HEY! In my defense; I try to never send out anything that I wouldn't want to receive.

I realize the originals were not timed. No need to; "does it go bang? Good!"

But we are building art, functional sculpture! !
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
HEY! In my defense; I try to never send out anything that I wouldn't want to receive.

I realize the originals were not timed. No need to; "does it go bang? Good!"

But we are building art, functional sculpture! !
View Quote

And dealing with a bunch of anal retentive collectors!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top