Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2015 2:47:53 AM EDT
I'm somewhat interested in purchasing a Colt scope clone for my 604 that is almost complete.  In pricing original scopes they are going for about $275, which is more than I think I wanna pay at the moment, but that may change, I dunno.  At any rate, what's out there that would be sorta like what was being used in the late 60's?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If your not in a rush I'd hold out for a Colt 3x20 scope that was made in Japan by Hakko, they show up occasionally for considerably less than $275 but don't hesitate to purchase or it will be gone before you know it. The Colt knockoff scopes made in China usually command no more than $50 so that should give you some idea of the expected quality and performance, IMO not a very good investment. If the scope is for display purposes only I guess a Chinese knockoff will do but if your interested in a functional, reliable scope that was actually used in the late 1960s I'd spring for a Colt/Hakko 3x20.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I agree with you.  So, is there a better quality scope that sorta looks like the older Colt scopes?  Plus, where are you seeing the scopes that are less than $275?  On the EE?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
C-More also offered some 4X Colt-pattern scopes (C-MORE E4XCMS.)   They are very well made, and usually cheaper than the Colt-marked scopes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm, the more I look around, the more that I see that if I want something small like the original scopes, I'm gonna have to go with an actual original scope. I don't see a modern equivalent and the clones suck.

ETA:  How well do these scopes hold zero? And how effective are they?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Avoid Red Star.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one if the clones and when I got an actual Colt scope I gave it away on the PIF thread. Not that it was bad it just looked all wrong compared to the actual one. Another good option if you can find one is the Israeli El-Op scope as they are high quality, look more like the original and built like a tank!

I had no issues with the clone with zero, I just didn't like the look and the Colt scope is a good investment in they just keep going up in price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything is pointing to an actual Colt scope. Lol. I'll look into the other scope you mentioned, as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Find and buy an actual Hakko. I have two of them, both 4x21 and one with an illuminated reticle. It took me quite a while to find the non-illuminated one, but I got it for a price that I was more than happy to pay, and it was a great feeling to find something that I'd been looking for. They are great scopes and the closest you'll get to an old Hakko made Colt scope.

Non-illumnated:

Illuminated:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Are these just as good as what was made for Colt? Where can one find these?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
A search showed that Hakko changed over to Japanese Optics Limited (http://www.japanoptics.co.jp/html/products_short.htm). I wonder if these can still be ordered or if anyone imports them.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A search showed that Hakko changed over to Japanese Optics Limited (http://www.japanoptics.co.jp/html/products_short.htm). I wonder if these can still be ordered or if anyone imports them.

ARKAR
View Quote

Good find! But, I wonder how good these are compared to the Colt scope (excellent condition) I have a line on? Hmm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good find! But, I winder how good these are compared to the Colt scope (excellent condition) I have a line on? Hmm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARKAR

Good find! But, I winder how good these are compared to the Colt scope (excellent condition) I have a line on? Hmm.

Reread the first response. I'm not sure how they compare but I have heard from others that for the money compared to a Colt, they are good quality.

Edit: If I were you and could spend the coin, I'd just buy the Colt unless I wanted a scope to beat around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reread the first response. I'm not sure how they compare but I have heard from others that for the money compared to a Colt, they are good quality.

Edit: If I were you and could spend the coin, I'd just buy the Colt unless I wanted a scope to beat around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARKAR

Yeah, I have the money to get the Colt, but I was just thinking that if the JOL is just as good and costs less that I'd go for the JOL, as I'm not gonna be too picky about having a period correct scope, at least that's what I'm telling myself now. The Colt scope I have a line on is in excellent condition, so it is very tempting. I'm just on the fence at this time as to which way to go. First world problems and all that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Find and buy an actual Hakko. I have two of them, both 4x21 and one with an illuminated reticle. It took me quite a while to find the non-illuminated one, but I got it for a price that I was more than happy to pay, and it was a great feeling to find something that I'd been looking for. They are great scopes and the closest you'll get to an old Hakko made Colt scope.

Non-illumnated:

<a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/user/dieselpowrguy85/media/5A14671A-893F-4D64-9739-AA9475173969-2318-00000241E9F7C486_zpsxf6azs9f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/dieselpowrguy85/5A14671A-893F-4D64-9739-AA9475173969-2318-00000241E9F7C486_zpsxf6azs9f.jpg</a>

Illuminated:

<a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/user/dieselpowrguy85/media/4FD2069D-417E-4387-92CA-7172FD157ECA-2836-000003178BB2E6DF_zps9x8asrxk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/dieselpowrguy85/4FD2069D-417E-4387-92CA-7172FD157ECA-2836-000003178BB2E6DF_zps9x8asrxk.jpg</a>
View Quote

How have they held their zero? Good? Bad?  How's the glass compared to other scopes you have used? I found an on-line vendor selling the illuminated model for $199, but it didn't include a pic of the reticle. I think I'd like the non-illum model better, though. Ended up being a dead end.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How have they held their zero? Good? Bad?  How's the glass compared to other scopes you have used? I found an on-line vendor selling the illuminated model for $199, but it didn't include a pic of the reticle. I think I'd like the non-illum model better, though.
View Quote

I've only used the illuminated one as I just got the other one a month or so ago. It holds zero great, and the glass on both of them is very, very clear. That said, I don't care an awful lot for the illuminated one's reticle. I like the duplex reticle in the non-illuminated one. The only thing I have to compare them against are a couple of ACOG's that I've used.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I just saw a very clean 3x20 carry-handle-mount scope at my LGS but it has NO manufacturing markings on it. Wondering if anyone has any idea who might have made the scope. As the owner of a Colt 3x20 l know what the originals look like. This is a very good imitation but as I recall the screws holding the scope on the mount are Phillips whereas the real deal screws are not. Also, the reticle in this scope is kind of brownish--not the dark black like an original. It reminds me of the reptiles I see in the Nikon scopes. Anyone have an idea of what this scope is or where I might find some hidden manufacturing mark?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just saw a very clean 3x20 carry-handle-mount scope at my LGS but it has NO manufacturing markings on it. Wondering if anyone has any idea who might have made the scope. As the owner of a Colt 3x20 l know what the originals look like. This is a very good imitation but as I recall the screws holding the scope on the mount are Phillips whereas the real deal screws are not. Also, the reticle in this scope is kind of brownish--not the dark black like an original. It reminds me of the reptiles I see in the Nikon scopes. Anyone have an idea of what this scope is or where I might find some hidden manufacturing mark?
View Quote

Anyway to snap a couple pics and start a thread on it, so we don't hijack this one?? I am interested in finding out what you have found as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Just bought a 4x Colt scope from a fellow member here, which is in very nice condition. The only question I have is this: Where can I find an owner's manual for the scope? Anything available online? I found some info but the links were dead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just bought a 4x Colt scope from a fellow member here, which is in very nice condition. The only question I have is this: Where can I find an owner's manual for the scope? Anything available online? I found some info but the links were dead.
View Quote

Here's a PDF of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#22]
There is a Colt 3x20 scope in the EE currently

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to see someone like Primary Arms or Atibal make a Colt-scope-styled red dot. Something that uses the ACOG mounts for flat tops, but also offers carry handle mounting capability.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top