Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2015 7:16:10 PM EDT
Hey guys, any of you that have a 608 (survivor carbine) stock, can you give me a couple dimensions?  I assume that the stock is supposed to fit a regular rifle buffer tube?   Can you give me the height X width of the butt?    And what about the OAL of the tube?
A member here in retro that bought one recently has sent it to me to look over/blueprint, and I would like to compare it to another...........maybe an Uncle Moak stock?
Thanks, Stoner
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a unclemoak stock. E mail me your mailing imfo
And I'll put her in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Trimdad, I'm not wanting anyone to send me their stock, if that is what you are saying by asking for my mailing info. (at least not at this time) I have this one in hand, and just need the couple measurements. I'm assuming the stock is supposed to fit a rifle buffer tube, correct?  ............and a tape measure measurement of the butt would do. (You're a finish carpenter, right? ........within a 1/16 would be close enough)
Thanks, Stoner
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this your next, next project?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL............ummmmmm. No.     Speaking of projects, I have your lock mech. I need to run it through the park tank, and I'll give you a call.
This is to help out a fellow retro head.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Lou, the original 608 stocks were designed for the rifle tube,, the 601/602 type tube with UN-modified rear end.
I have 3 Unclemoak stocks. All butt plates measure 4 7/8 tall,, and 2 1/16 wide at it's widest. Overall length is different on all three.   4 1/8,,,4 1/4,, 4 5/16
The problem here is that Uncle used pictures and made up ratio formulas (using other known sized parts on the 608s in the pics) to get his measurements. He mentioned it in his original thread.
Uncle also drilled his hole for the screw "centered" in the tube so these will screw right to a standard tube. That is NOT what was done on the originals.
HTH.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to derail too bad......but

Anyone every stumble across the pics of the 608ish stock that has the flat spring/ball retainer looking setup? I recall it's on a Japanese captioned website, but I can't find it now that I'm looking
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

... Uncle also drilled his hole for the screw "centered" in the tube so these will screw right to a standard tube. That is NOT what was done on the originals.
HTH.
View Quote

This is a timely conversation.  I am "re-building" my 608 right now (you know you have ran out of "retro AR15" projects, when you are re-building a 608 ).  In fact, I just anodized the lower tonight.  The long pole is the Form 1, which has only been out for about 3 months or so.

M1sniper, how were the original 608 stocks attached to the buffer tube?

Thanks,
John Thomas
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Off set of center to the 12 O'clock so when stock is screwed on it won't rotate. That will require you to weld over the existing hole in the buffer tube and relocate it higher,then match the hole in the stock to line up with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lou, the original 608 stocks were designed for the rifle tube,, the 601/602 type tube with UN-modified rear end.
I have 3 Unclemoak stocks. All butt plates measure 4 7/8 tall,, and 2 1/16 wide at it's widest. Overall length is different on all three.   4 1/8,,,4 1/4,, 4 5/16
The problem here is that Uncle used pictures and made up ratio formulas (using other known sized parts on the 608s in the pics) to get his measurements. He mentioned it in his original thread.
Uncle also drilled his hole for the screw "centered" in the tube so these will screw right to a standard tube. That is NOT what was done on the originals.
HTH.
View Quote

Rob, this info helps immensely.  The one I have in hand measures 1.9 across, which looks out of proportion. It is 4 1/2 "tall".  It "looks" much too wide for its' height, compared to regular rifle stocks, 607 stocks, etc. Also, you mention the Uncle Moak using the centered hole. Would I be correct to think that the originals had the hole offset from centerline to prevent the stock from rotating around the buffer tube?
Also, do you know if the originals had any checkering on the plate?
Thank you sir for sharing your knowledge,
Louis
Edit:  lol....I need to learn to type faster. You guys answer all my Q's before I even ask them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Off set of center to the 12 O'clock so when stock is screwed on it won't rotate. That will require you to weld over the existing hole in the buffer tube and relocate it higher,then match the hole in the stock to line up with it.
View Quote

Copy... thanks!!!

John Thomas
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rob, this info helps immensely.  The one I have in hand measures 1.9 across, which looks out of proportion. It is 4 1/2 "tall".  It "looks" much too wide for its' height, compared to regular rifle stocks, 607 stocks, etc. Also, you mention the Uncle Moak using the centered hole. Would I be correct to think that the originals had the hole offset from centerline to prevent the stock from rotating around the buffer tube?
Louis
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HTH.

Louis

See above reply.
I'll have to check on checkering,,I forget off hand.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Louis,

I can't find it now, but there's a clear picture of the butt of a 608 from that Japanese book, and it shows that it's smooth.

With that said, there are at least two styles of stocks, maybe three.  One appears to be light gray and just anodized.  Another appears to be black and possibly coated with vinyl acetate, like the XM177 stocks.  And the one in that Japanese book looks like it's black painted (you can see some fine scratches and wear to the bare metal around the edges).

Also, the sling cutout is located in different places on different stocks.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Louis,

I can't find it now, but there's a clear picture of the butt of a 608 from that Japanese book, and it shows that it's smooth.

With that said, there are at least two styles of stocks, maybe three.  One appears to be light gray and just anodized.  Another appears to be black and possibly coated with vinyl acetate, like the XM177 stocks.  And the one in that Japanese book looks like it's black painted (you can see some fine scratches and wear to the bare metal around the edges).

John Thomas
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Louis,

John Thomas

This picture?

I can also confirm from the '65 date brochures I have the sling location is different on one of the other 608's and that it appears to have a grey matte finish. It also shows a bare aluminum buffer tube in one of the photos.

Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL............ummmmmm. No.     Speaking of projects, I have your lock mech. I need to run it through the park tank, and I'll give you a call.

Sounds good. I hope I don't break it again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This picture?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Internet%20photos/608jpnbook_zps75fefa05.png

I can also confirm from the '65 date brochures I have the sling location is different on one of the other 608's and that it appears to have a grey matte finish. It also shows a bare aluminum buffer tube in one of the photos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Louis,

John Thomas

This picture?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Internet%20photos/608jpnbook_zps75fefa05.png

Quoted:
Quoted:

57, do you have a H2 or H3 buffer now?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Trimdad, I'm not wanting anyone to send me their stock, if that is what you are saying by asking for my mailing info. (at least not at this time) I have this one in hand, and just need the couple measurements. I'm assuming the stock is supposed to fit a rifle buffer tube, correct?  ............and a tape measure measurement of the butt would do. (You're a finish carpenter, right? ........within a 1/16 would be close enough)
Thanks, Stoner
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Stoner

Finish carpenter  yes sir.  And  a 1/16 is about all I can handle,
If I wanted to go less than that I would have been a machinist .
Looks like sniper has the Moak stocks covered
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
57, do you have a H2 or H3 buffer now?
View Quote

Not yet. I might see if I can find one at the gun show in a few weeks. If not I'll order one before I get back to the range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This picture?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Louis,

John Thomas

This picture?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Um...not to derail, but that colt roll mark looks...fake? (globe doesn't connect to circle edge) Are we copying a copy? or am I missing something? Please forgive my ignorance in this, as I'm not too familiar with this model...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]
FIDIVECOP...........no sir, that isn't neccessarily a fake roll mark.   The early Colt's......up through at least the 607's, not sure about the 608's.......used that roll mark.   If you look closely, the pony is standing relatively straight up.....his ears are clocked at about 11:30-12 o'clock, and the globe is what is known as "the floating globe".  By the time of the xm177e2 (late 66) Colt went to the newer globe, which is attached to the perimeter circle, and the ponoy take a less erect stance with its' ears at about the 10:30 position.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FIDIVECOP...........no sir, that isn't necessarily a fake roll mark.   The early Colt's......up through at least the 607's, not sure about the 608's.......used that roll mark.   If you look closely, the pony is standing relatively straight up.....his ears are clocked at about 11:30-12 o'clock, and the globe is what is known as "the floating globe".  By the time of the xm177e2 (late 66) Colt went to the newer globe, which is attached to the perimeter circle, and the pony take a less erect stance with its' ears at about the 10:30 position.
View Quote

Thanks for the enlightenment. I really wasn't sure. One of the things I love about the Retro Forums - Learn something else that I'd forgotten about the past everyday...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for the enlightenment. I really wasn't sure. One of the things I love about the Retro Forums - Learn something else that I'd forgotten about the past everyday...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FIDIVECOP...........no sir, that isn't necessarily a fake roll mark.   The early Colt's......up through at least the 607's, not sure about the 608's.......used that roll mark.   If you look closely, the pony is standing relatively straight up.....his ears are clocked at about 11:30-12 o'clock, and the globe is what is known as "the floating globe".  By the time of the xm177e2 (late 66) Colt went to the newer globe, which is attached to the perimeter circle, and the pony take a less erect stance with its' ears at about the 10:30 position.

I know what you mean. There are so many nuances with the various models, that something you knew yesterday you can't remember tommorrow. I'll post a reply sometimes, and just after hitting the submit button will remember that what I just wrote was wrong.  Must be part of getting old.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me first!

I can never get over how dayumed ugly this particular model is!

But if ya got one of everything else I guess ya might as well!

It's the natural progression of the disease!

The 608 is like freebasing acid!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Me first!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me first!

I hear ya brother.......and good news for my retro hobby.  Only one more week of this bastid shift I've been on at work. For the last 2 months I've been on a shift that has had me awake for 34-36 hours straight, 2 times a week, and switching from from day work to night work 3 times a week. It's damned near killed me......56 is too old to be doing that stuff.
  I know..........whine whine whine........
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hear ya brother.......and good news for my retro hobby.  Only one more week of this bastid shift I've been on at work. For the last 2 months I've been on a shift that has had me awake for 34-36 hours straight, 2 times a week, and switching from from day work to night work 3 times a week. It's damned near killed me......56 is too old to be doing that stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me first!

Poor bastage!

MAN I love regular sleep patterns!

My dad always told me when you're old you try to catch up on the sleep you lost chasing tail! (He's a preacher mind you!)

I had another birthday 2 weeks ago. That's 50 of them now and I STILL and rich!

At least I'm good looking!

Just pulling your chain Stoner. I am never in any great hurry, I just like busting peoples chops!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey, Cal30M1 - a little OT, but I saw a pic of a garbage truck the other day with their motto painted on the side: "Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your garbage back!" and thought of you. I think if I built a 608 it would have to be an SBR so it would fit under an ejection seat - I've seen survival kit holders with the cushion on top a few times on ebay. It'd be great for the truck during long trips I think...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey, Cal30M1 - a little OT, but I saw a pic of a garbage truck the other day with their motto painted on the side: "Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your garbage back!" and thought of you. I think if I built a 608 it would have to be an SBR so it would fit under an ejection seat - I've seen survival kit holders with the cushion on top a few times on ebay. It'd be great for the truck during long trips I think...
View Quote

I see garbage trucks in every movie I see! (Sets the scene as occurring in the morning. No shit!) I see the garbage cans and the dumpsters too!

31 years is a long time to be a garbage man! My wife says it did something to my brain!

Under the seat is EXACTLY where to hide a fugly 608 Morg!

You can proudly hang an XM177 in the back window of your pickup but you are showing your TRUE level of the sickness with a 608 and that's not something you want to air in public!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I see garbage trucks in every movie I see! (Sets the scene as occurring in the morning. No shit!) I see the garbage cans and the dumpsters too!

31 years is a long time to be a garbage man! My wife says it did something to my brain!

You can proudly hang an XM177 in the back window of your pickup but you are showing your TRUE level of the sickness with a 608 and that's not something you want to air in public!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Kind of like that uncle everyone has...but no one wants to claim.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good analogy!

I kept trying to work the moped/ugly girl analogy in there but if you had a hot foxy XM177, only the SICKEST of diseases would cause you to run to the arms of a moped 608!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking at that Japanese picture,,,, is it me or
Is the little round indention under the buffer tube
( for lack of it's technical term) missing?
Looks flat
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good analogy!

I kept trying to work the moped/ugly girl analogy in there but if you had a hot foxy XM177, only the SICKEST of diseases would cause you to run to the arms of a moped 608!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good analogy!

Ugly girls try harder.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looking at that Japanese picture,,,, is it me or
Is the little round indention under the buffer tube
( for lack of it's technical term) missing?
Looks flat
View Quote

I looked that over, too.  I think there is a thin plate on there or something.  The 608 in the Colt brochure... you can see the normal indention there, you've gotta really look close with it zoomed in, though.  There's another picture out there somewhere, where you can see a hole drilled for a roll pin to retain the takedown pin detent and spring.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I looked that over, too.  I think there is a thin plate on there or something.
View Quote

I don't think so. If you look close, you can see the hole for the detent. If they used a plate, I would think it would be to keep the spring/detent in place instead of the roll pin they had be using.

It looks to me like a purpose built lower. They knew they weren't using a traditional stock so, no need to waste machine time adding a hole they didn't need.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm reading this to mean you would hide Morg under the seat?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the uncle no one wants to claim, after all..."Uncle Morgan? Yeah, he just ain't quite right..."
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am the uncle no one wants to claim, after all..."Uncle Morgan? Yeah, he just ain't quite right..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commas are important! I LOVE words! (It's punctuation I HATE!)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Lets eat, Grandma!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lets eat, Grandma!
View Quote

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top