Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:17:46 PM EDT
So my build is done, you've seen the thread.  Now it's time to nit pick. My butt stock and right handguard are mottled, and semi shiny, my left handguard is flat and not mottled, it doesn't match up perfectly either.  So you think I'll be able to track down a mottled left?

I put up a wtb ad in the EE first, if anyone has, or knows anyone selling mottled left hg's let me know

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So sorry to hear about your butt.  I'd get that looked at if I were you...

(no fair... you edited and added "stock" to the original post!)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So sorry to hear about your butt.  I'd get that looked at if I were you...
View Quote

Meh it's just mottled
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You might, there were singular handgaurd sides sold in the EE within the last year that might have been a match.

If you're going to let that bug you....other stuff is going to bug you. Then you'll start on another rifle for yourself thats going to be "correct"

You can either just stop and be happy with what you have...which is a nice rifle. Or you can become seriously addicted too the RBRD and you will start to nitpick your own stuff and hunt and search for more and more correct parts.

Im not kidding, you have to make a choice

And keep in mind, that when rifles left the factory at colt, they were headed for Vietnam, not a museum. They were often not "perfect"
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Jhud has huge boxes of handgaurds. If anyone has what you need, it would be him. IM him and if he doesn't get back to you within 48 hours. Ill give you his cell number.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINAL-ArmaLite-COLT-RED-BROWN-PHENOL-RESIN-COMPOSITE-MODEL-601-FURNITURE-/400841670422?nma=true&si=X0PE0Faf%252BQG08N1LgBtacYL6FVk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

AND YOU THINK YOUR GOING TO HAVE TRUBEL FINDING A MACH LOL
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
nm...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, This is more than you are looking for. But you will have a complete set of mottled furniture -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271738961450 - Hot

Scratch that. The HGs are not all that mottled. But someone may like the set.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
How mottled are we talking here? We need pics to work with.

I have a set that are slightly mottled sitting around doing nothing but like I said, they are only slightly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How mottled are we talking here? We need pics to work with.

I have a set that are slightly mottled sitting around doing nothing but like I said, they are only slightly.
View Quote

I'll try to get a good pic after work...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the right side that is mottled....  Not really bad, but it is:

Now, here is the left side, you can tell it is just flat black, and no mottle:

Here's a picture of the butt stock, to give you a idea of it...

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Be patient. . WTB adds work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
No luck so far.  I might just try to find a pair of mottled ones, and sell these.  Thing is finding a set of mottled ones for sale....
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Time moves slower in the retro world.

Most of us have had at least one build going on for a long time
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Time moves slower in the retro world.

Most of us have had at least one build going on for a long time
View Quote

Yep,   We measure progress in years
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
^This... most definitely.

Remember - you can have it quick, high quality, or inexpensive. -  PICK ANY TWO.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a similar situation, when I get home I'll check to see which side is which and I might could trade ya fer it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a similar situation, when I get home I'll check to see which side is which and I might could trade ya fer it.
View Quote

Cool
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Forgot about this.

I have one left side that has a bit of shine but no mottling. Sorry.

It has drain holes but its not marked with an "L", makes it 1969 IIRC. I can send a pic if you are interested but it's not much different than the one you have.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forgot about this.

It has drain holes but its not marked with an "L", makes it 1969 IIRC. I can send a pic if you are interested but it's not much different than the one you have.
View Quote

Both mine are marked.  Did they not mark them earlier on?
I seen a set of flat non mottled ones in the EE I almost bought, but decided not to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I seen a set of flat non mottled ones in the EE I almost bought, but decided not to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forgot about this.

They didn't start marking them until 1969 I believe, they added drainholes in 1968, so if it has the drainholes and isn't marked its 68-69.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#21]
So have you considered buffing the other one to bring out some mottling on it?  I have heard it works pretty good.  I will check my sets - I think I did that to one of them.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top