Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2014 2:30:51 PM EDT

I have the Back-Half of a De-Milled/Sheared M16 that I keep on my desk as a paper weight.  I originally bought it from NESARD/Sendra, back in the Mid-80's at the Lake County (IL) Gun Shows.

When I originally purchased it, it was almost complete.  It had the GI Auto Sear, Receiver Ext. Stub, Dimpled Rear Take Down Pin and Safety still in it.  I got rid of the Auto Sear a long time ago, I think I gave it to an SOT/CL3.

I kept the Dimpled Take Down Pin, and it is in a build I have going now.  The Safety, I neutered, to keep myself legal.

BUT, now I wonder, would it be LEGIT to put it back to the condition that I originally received it in, without any Constructive Possession or Intent, and still keep it as a Paper Weight/

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would guess that your paperweight would be a low priority to BATF, whatever the rules are for chomped parts. It is not a receiver anymore technically, and it was bought legally in the 80's.

But you need to ask yourself, how much trouble is a paperweight worth to you?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the problem with constructive possession is the auto sear. All the other parts (technically, not necessarily legally) can be used in an AR-15 without firing fully automatic . (except a "full house" which causes full auto slam fires when the selector is in the full auto position) A full house is the M16 hammer, trigger, disconnector, selector lever, and bolt carrier. The auto sear serves only 1 purpose. To release the hammer upon bolt closure in full battery in full automatic mode. It can't be used in an AR-15. So, I would stay away from the auto sear. -W
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The big question is when was the last time a Firearms agent of the ATF was in your office?

Its not a gun and even if the ATF went Bat S_it crazy they would just take it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top