Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
So I am in the middle of building my first AR Pistol and am having a dilemma of deciding between a 7.5" or 10.5" Upper.
Can anyone post pictures of their 7.5" with Noveske KX3 and a 10.5 with KX3?
If at all possible I would love to see a picture of them side by side so I can get a better idea of the overall length?
Even better if anyone has pictures of them holding their Pistol that would help also.

Any pros and cons of the lengths is much appreciated as well.

BUILD:
Seekins Precision SP223 Gen2 Ambi Lower
Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron Battle Trigger
KAK Industries Sig Brace Kit FDE
Magpul MOE Plus Grip FDE
Magpul AFG2 FDE
Magpul P-Mags FDE
Noveske KX3

Testament Arms 7.5"or 10.5"
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just finished my build has 11.5" handguard, 10.5" barrel, & ballistic advantage kuuma v2 (1.93" long)
...... easiest way to find pictures for ideas is to google it in the image section

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A 10.5 build, PSA upper.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
This isn't a build, I bought it turn key...but I got a 7" last week. Ran it through its paces today and it was superb. Accurate at 50 yds (all I'd ever shoot this thing at) and extremely easy to manipulate for close up drills. It cycled cheapo silver Bear all the way to hot M855 flawlessly.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll try and dig a picture up after work, but i've got a 10.5 with kx3.  At first I loved it, but then I ran a carbine course with it and not so stoked on the extra 3" plus weight at the end without a proper stock.  I'm in the re-model process now and pulling the rail off to go with a shorter and lower profile rail and ditching the kx3 for a flash comp to lighten up the end.

I think if I had a 7.5 barrel I'd be more keen to keep the kx3.

my .02
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks yall it is definitely helping. I can get my hands on a 7.5 right now but the 10.5 is out of stock with no date set. I just can't tell if 10.5 with kx3 is too long for me. Or if 7.5 with kx3 is too short and unreliable.

I been searching desperately for a picture of them side by side
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
In true Arfcom fashion I got both.    

As far as a "barrel length" comparison, my 7.5 with KX5 is roughly the same length as my 10.5 with KAC M4QD flash hider.  

ETA:  I also used a Seekins SP223 billet lower on my 7.5.  Very handy with the ambi controls and what not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#7]
7.5" barrel, 9" Midwest Rail, KAK slim can(same dimensions as KX5)

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I am in the middle of building my first AR Pistol and am having a dilemma of deciding between a 7.5" or 10.5" Upper.
If at all possible I would love to see a picture of them side by side so I can get a better idea of the overall length?
Even better if anyone has pictures of them holding their Pistol that would help also.

BUILD:
Magpul MOE Plus Grip FDE
Magpul AFG2 FDE
Magpul P-Mags FDE
Noveske KX3

View Quote

My first question is what caliber? If you are going with 5.56/.223 I wouldn't go any shorter than 10" due to the ballistics of the round.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My first question is what caliber? If you are going with 5.56/.223 I wouldn't go any shorter than 10" due to the ballistics of the round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUILD:
Magpul MOE Plus Grip FDE
Magpul AFG2 FDE
Magpul P-Mags FDE
Noveske KX3

And I should suggest a caliber is you go to 7.5". If it were me I would build it around the .300 BLK round.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
A 7.5 barrel, with  a Kineti Tech break and sound director.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with the KX5, you get a whole lot more rail options.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]
7.5" Adams Arms 5.45x39mm

I was considering the KXs as well as just about every other linear comp / shield / muzzle device that was designed to reduce or redirect the blast & sound away from me.  The upper was shipped with an A2 but after the 1st range trip to my local indoor range I needed to change.  I decided to try the STD - mostly because of reviews & suggestions on here as well everything I could find & read online was positive.  Plus the size was minimal & the cost was ideal so I decided to try it figuring it could always be an interim device until I settled on spending more on something more expensive like the KXx or ferfrans.

I love it.  Slightly smaller than the A2 & works better than expected.  Also for my build its great to go along with the Adams Arms piston setup.  Knurling matches & it is small enough not to be in the way at all when I strip & pull out the piston components.

I went with the 7.5 just because I figured if under 8" was good enough for the Ruskies & the AKS-74U then it should be fine by me.  But mostly I just wanted this build to be completely bad ass & fun.  Figured at the time I would be using some big/long muzzle device anyway so might as well get it as short as practical.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#13]

My 7.5" with a 7" Fortis rail.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
7.5" Adams Arms 5.45x39mm

I was considering the KXs as well as just about every other linear comp / shield / muzzle device that was designed to reduce or redirect the blast & sound away from me.  The upper was shipped with an A2 but after the 1st range trip to my local indoor range I needed to change.  I decided to try the STD - mostly because of reviews & suggestions on here as well everything I could find & read online was positive.  Plus the size was minimal & the cost was ideal so I decided to try it figuring it could always be an interim device until I settled on spending more on something more expensive like the KXx or ferfrans.

I love it.  Slightly smaller than the A2 & works better than expected.  Also for my build its great to go along with the Adams Arms piston setup.  Knurling matches & it is small enough not to be in the way at all when I strip & pull out the piston components.

I went with the 7.5 just because I figured if under 8" was good enough for the Ruskies & the AKS-74U then it should be fine by me.  But mostly I just wanted this build to be completely bad ass & fun.  Figured at the time I would be using some big/long muzzle device anyway so might as well get it as short as practical.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Doug_262/DSC02855.jpg
View Quote

What forward grip do you have on this?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#15]
when I considered the same set up/question I went for the 10.5.  more reliable cycling and better velocity per my reading.  I didn't think the 3" would make enough difference in handling to give the other up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What forward grip do you have on this?  Thanks!
View Quote

Strike Industires Cobra - to the OP it also comes in FDE
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I started out with a SI Cobra on my 7.5" set up but soon realized it was about an inch or so smaller than the Magpul so I swapped.  My hands are not all that big either, to give you a reference point my hands comfortably fit the A2 style grip.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I started out with a SI Cobra on my 7.5" set up but soon realized it was about an inch or so smaller than the Magpul so I swapped.  My hands are not all that big either, to give you a reference point my hands comfortably fit the A2 style grip.
View Quote

I originally had a magpul afg 1.  I could not really get comfortable with it.  I played around with & swapped the finger shelf about but still did not really suit me. I have big hands so I can comfortably hold the cobra grip a couple of different ways if I chose to.  I can even sort of use like a vert grip if needed by having my thumb behind the hook & fingers on the handstop/barricade grabber.  I also really like how when I grab & hold the pistol vertically by the handguard, the thumb hook catches my hand.

Grips are just something you have to try out yourself & see what you like most.

Forgot to mention about the muzzle device.  I was also planning to acquire a surpressor shortly down the road & figured that it would be better $$$ invested in getting a dedicated mount/brake/hider than some expensive large comp/shield that I probably would not use on most of my other firearms.  Just did not know what brand surpressor & also just wanted something now so I decided to try something inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I originally had a magpul afg 1.  I could not really get comfortable with it.  I played around with & swapped the finger shelf about but still did not really suit me. I have big hands so I can comfortably hold the cobra grip a couple of different ways if I chose to.  I can even sort of use like a vert grip if needed by having my thumb behind the hook & fingers on the handstop/barricade grabber.  I also really like how when I grab & hold the pistol vertically by the handguard, the thumb hook catches my hand.

Forgot to mention about the muzzle device.  I was also planning to acquire a surpressor shortly down the road & figured that it would be better $$$ invested in getting a dedicated mount/brake/hider than some expensive large comp/shield that I probably would not use on most of my other firearms.  Just did not know what brand surpressor & also just wanted something now so I decided to try something inexpensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its funny that you mention using it almost as a "VGF" as I did the same thing too, as well as finding a couple other ways to hold it.  It was not a bad AFG by any means and personally I love the look of it but as for myself I needed a bigger one.  

I also forgot to mention that I cut the forend off of my Magpul AFG(about an inch or two) and bumped it up against a Noveske barricade support to be able to use the Magpul AFG like the cobra as something to brace against obstacles and the such.  Not to mention the aesthetics of the Magpul AFG coupled with the Noveske K9 really look quite well when coupled together.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#20]
" />

My 7.5"  with Fortis Rev 7 (5.56)
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 10.5 and I just won a 7.5 in x39 on gunbroker. Probably a little too short but I think I will just run a barrel extension on it if I can find one or a long flash can.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#22]
If you're willing to run a KX3 on a 10.5", why not just go on up to a 12.5" and a regular device? That's what I went with anyways.

Or just use the STD on the 10.5" I know a few that use them and plenty of praise there
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#23]
10.5'' barrel, 12.37'' Rainier Arms Evo Keymod rail, KAK Slim Flash can (KX5 dimensions)

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're talking about 5.56 and just going for looks go with the kx3 and a 7.5" barrel.  If you want the best ballistics go with a 10.5-12.5 barrel with a typical flash hider.  

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top