Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
New to the 308 world. Can anyone tell me great budget parts?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't.  

Budget parts = malf-o-matic.

Buy a decent rifle if you really want a .308 that will work, even if it costs more than all the "great deals" you can find on parts from every dark corner of the internet.

For starters, the AR10/LR-308 world is not compatible with itself like AR15s are, even within brands.

Get an ArmaLite DEF10, a DPMS GII AP4, and maybe upgrade the hand guard if you don't like the factory ones.

See how you like .308, if it meets your needs, and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't.  

Budget parts = half-o-matic.

Buy a decent rifle if you really want a .308 that will work, even if it costs more than all the "great deals" you can find on parts from every dark corner of the internet.

For starters, the AR10/LR-308 world is not compatible with itself like AR15s are, even within brands.

Get an ArmaLite DEF10, a DPMS GII AP4, and maybe upgrade the hand guard if you don't like the factory ones.

View Quote
Agree 100%

If your going to build one you can't build a cheap one and have it reliably work unless you just get lucky...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I built mine on a budget and it runs great. Out of over 250 rounds the bolt didn't lock back 1 time. That's pretty good IMO. Here is most of my parts list.

Aero M5 Builders receiver kit
Faxon 20" fluted barrel (BA barrels are gtg too)
Toolcraft bcg
Geisele ssae trigger
Luther stock, dpms tube, JP buffer spring

If your new to building, a whole rifle might be a better way to go. The Aero .308 is a good budget rifle, PSA are still hit or miss (I have a Gen 1 that runs perfect after they fixed it)
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I built mine on a budget and it runs great. Out of over 250 rounds the bolt didn't lock back 1 time. That's pretty good IMO. Here is most of my parts list.

Aero M5 Builders receiver kit
Faxon 20" fluted barrel (BA barrels are gtg too)
Toolcraft bcg
Geisele ssae trigger
Luther stock, dpms tube, JP buffer spring

If your new to building, a whole rifle might be a better way to go. The Aero .308 is a good budget rifle, PSA are still hit or miss (I have a Gen 1 that runs perfect after they fixed it)
View Quote
Aero is a budget rifle??
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Aero is a budget rifle??
View Quote
Yes.

OP I have two budget 308 AR's that both run great and shoot very well. One had some issues out of the box that I was savvy enough to catch and fix myself rather than send it back to the mfg. and be without my rifle for any period of time, and since my "fixes" has run flawless. I have a little more than 1K rounds through it and not 1 malfunction so far.  The other I built from the ground up and has been 100% reliable so far with about half the round count of the first rifle. I am a realist however, and know these are range toys, or  for casual hunting. If serious work needed to be done, I'd grab one of my other rifles.

What are your intended uses for the rifle you want to build? That goes a long way in determining what to advise you to buy. If a precision rifle, with a premium barrel, a top end free floating rail system, and expensive glass is what your after, I'm out. I have no interest in those, and both mine were built up to be   CQB 16" plinking carbines because I like shooting 308 in a smaller, handy package, and it gives me a little variety over regular AR15's and the milsurp rifles I like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes.

OP I have two budget 308 AR's that both run great and shoot very well. One had some issues out of the box that I was savvy enough to catch and fix myself rather than send it back to the mfg. and be without my rifle for any period of time, and since my "fixes" has run flawless. I have a little more than 1K rounds through it and not 1 malfunction so far.  The other I built from the ground up and has been 100% reliable so far with about half the round count of the first rifle. I am a realist however, and know these are range toys, or  for casual hunting. If serious work needed to be done, I'd grab one of my other rifles.

What are your intended uses for the rifle you want to build? That goes a long way in determining what to advise you to buy. If a precision rifle, with a premium barrel, a top end free floating rail system, and expensive glass is what your after, I'm out. I have no interest in those, and both mine were built up to be   CQB 16" plinking carbines because I like shooting 308 in a smaller, handy package, and it gives me a little variety over regular AR15's and the milsurp rifles I like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aero is a budget rifle??
Yes.

Curious- Are Aero receiver sets "budget", or does such extend primarily to complete rifles from it? In short, can an Aero receiver set see as a decent foundation for a perhaps better build with a different barrel, etc?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Aero is NOT budget.  Funny
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't.  

Budget parts = half-o-matic.

View Quote
This.  All you need is a phone, the number to a company like Stag, KAC, LaRue, DPMS, CMMG, etc. and a credit card.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree. Their prices are definitely at the budget level. You get what you pay for. Not saying a receiver set won't run, but you certainly can't compare them to upper tier products either.

To the OP, what's your desired purpose, hunting at 100 yards or hitting plates at 1000? Let the purpose drive your build. Otherwise you may have big issues down the road.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah they kind of are. I am not saying they are not decent quality for what your paying. I happen to like their stuff, it fits my budget, is of excellent quality, and have used it on many of my 556 builds. I didn't use their 308 stuff for a couple reasons, #1 of which, they never seemed to have it in stock when I had money to buy, and #2, their uppers are DPMS Gen 1 "high" pattern, I wanted DPMS gen 1 "low pattern".
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I meant more of 'bargain' not 'budget'. I do not build cheap, low quality guns. Also, Aero is budget and a GREAT example of bargain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've built 2 ar15s start to finish, just not a 308. I built my first one before I ever even shot an AR lol they also turned out perfect
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, I'm wanting a precision/sniper gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
You want an inexpensive precision sniper rifle in the AR-10 format?  

Sure.... I want a twenty-year-old tight hot blonde who gets off on old bald guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I disagree. Their prices are definitely at the budget level. You get what you pay for. Not saying a receiver set won't run, but you certainly can't compare them to upper tier products either.

To the OP, what's your desired purpose, hunting at 100 yards or hitting plates at 1000? Let the purpose drive your build. Otherwise you may have big issues down the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should not equate price with quality and aero makes parts that are rebranded for almost everyone.  They are cheaper for economic reasons, not quality related.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sure.... I want a twenty-year-old tight hot blonde who gets off on old bald guys.
View Quote
Lol...post if the year!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please post her up in the EE when you're done. I don't mind being seconds on deal that good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Bargain, not budget. Bang for your buck.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top