Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2012 3:37:41 PM EDT
I just bought a DPMS 308 and started looking into mags..  Found that one website sells 'chopped' Pmags for those in states with mags capacity limits or hunting limits..

I dont like hunting with the longer 20 rd mags, so I wanted something shorter and I found the below

Here is a link to a calguns post showing how to..  Chopped Pmags

Brian
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree but for those that want/like Pmags OR cant wait until Feb 2013 for them to be instock

Brian
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
check other sources, these mags are GTG, and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I chopped one last year for my moose hunt in NH.  I added a block to limit the mag to 5 but it was pretty much the same other than that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I chopped one last year for my moose hunt in NH.  I added a block to limit the mag to 5 but it was pretty much the same other than that.

From what I read the chopped and/or blocked Pmags are just as reliable as the standard ones..  And based on research the Pmags seemed to be the most reliable for the DPMS 308 - that is why i was looking for a shorter Pmag in the first place..

There is even a place that sells the chopped mags for about $32..
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_88&products_id=505

The shorter mags are 5 rounds from the link above.  The longer ones I modded myself to 10 rounds.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I stumbled upon the midwestpx pmags when i started looking for a 10 rd mag for hunting and almost ordered a couple. But then I decided to see if i could find instructions on how to DIY and save $12/mag..

brian

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Cetane - on the DIY mags, how did you attach the bottoms?  Someone in another post used 1/8" rivets, and someone mentioned glueing them..

Brian
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I glued mine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Lock tight super glue.  It still holds.  I dropped them on my hardwood floor with 10 rounds in them.  I see no damage to them.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#11]
OR instead of chopping your PMAGS you can just drop the floor plate and cut a wood dowel and slide inside the mag spring, then replace the mag floor plate.

You now have a 5rd. mag.

You may need a few cuts of wood before you get the length right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OR instead of chopping your PMAGS you can just drop the floor plate and cut a wood dowel and slide inside the mag spring, then replace the mag floor plate.

You now have a 5rd. mag.

You may need a few cuts of wood before you get the length right.

I considered that, but I just like shorter mags, they are just more convenient...

BUT when after i screw up a mag with a wrong cut, your idea will sound so much better  lol

Brian
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I chopped 3 mags this morning - one 10 rnd, and two 5 round mags.. I had a slight learning curve, but everything turned out OK over all

My issues -

1) I tried to pop rivet the 10 rnd in the middle of the mag, BUT it was hitting the spring or the plastic piece on the bottom of the spring.. Ended up riveting them near the front on one side and near the rear on the other side.. Sorta had to angle the rivets up slightly because they were also hitting something.

2) my 10 rd ended up being a 9 rounder, but they held 10 before i riveted them - obviously the rivets blocked the follower enough to keep out that last round.

3) Glueing them is much easier than pop rivets - I used Gorilla Super glue, but I hope it holds

4) The 5 rounders ended up as 7 or 8 rounders, but I couldnt cut them any shorter or they wouldnt extend past the mag well - so I added rivets in the leading edge of the mag to limit the follower travel to 5 rnds.

Brian
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top