BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Vic what was the barrels that were initially offered. I don't remember that they were "match" grade, just the standard poly stainless barrel offered by BH.  Maybe it's that's the same thing
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone have a 6.5PCC vs 300BO pic they can post?
Looking at the pics of the 6.5PCC next to the 5.56, it looks like there is some neck expansion done.  
Anybody got a case life idea?  Expanding part of the neck from 5.56 to 6.5 should thin the brass in and area where 5.56 in my experience tends to fail a lot anyway.
You guys using the 6.5PCC and reloading how many reloads have you gotten out of a single case so far? and what cases are you using mostly? LC, WWC?

I"m going to take my time and digest the 6.5PCC.  This would be a major move for me.  
Also a nice photo shoot of a 5.56, 6.5PCC, 6.5Grendel and a 300BO would be nice.

Are the barrels stocked at this point or are you still special ordering?  I noticed most of this website was around 2012?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lakemoor:
Vic what was the barrels that were initially offered. I don't remember that they were "match" grade, just the standard poly stainless barrel offered by BH.  Maybe it's that's the same thing
View Quote

The first barrel that was made was for the sister cartridge chambered in 6.5mm TCU which the 6.5mm PCC was derived from...It was
a Pac-Nor 4150 CM with a Polygonal 5G with a 1:8 Twist...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sharpshooter33:
Does anyone have a 6.5PCC vs 300BO pic they can post?
Looking at the pics of the 6.5PCC next to the 5.56, it looks like there is some neck expansion done.  
Anybody got a case life idea?  Expanding part of the neck from 5.56 to 6.5 should thin the brass in and area where 5.56 in my experience tends to fail a lot anyway.
You guys using the 6.5PCC and reloading how many reloads have you gotten out of a single case so far? and what cases are you using mostly? LC, WWC?

I"m going to take my time and digest the 6.5PCC.  This would be a major move for me.  
Also a nice photo shoot of a 5.56, 6.5PCC, 6.5Grendel and a 300BO would be nice.

Are the barrels stocked at this point or are you still special ordering?  I noticed most of this website was around 2012?
View Quote

Case life is a minimum 4-6 loads w/o annealing...with annealing around 10 using virgin Lake City .223/5.56 brass.

Case length for the PCC is about 42mm and for the .300 BLK it is 35mm.

Cases are trimmed to 1.650" and then the case mouth/neck is expanded and case body is sized...Due to the case neck being
shortened/trimmed there is virtually no change in case neck thickness.

Preferred cases are: Federal/Lake City and Winchester/IMI, They offer the best case capacities and tend to be very uniform...

The Info, prices, and load data are all up to date/current...start date not withstanding.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

The first barrel that was made was for the sister cartridge chambered in 6.5mm TCU which the 6.5mm PCC was derived from...It was
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lakemoor:

Not the test bed but the first initial batch for end users.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The very first batch were built by BHW and when they proved to be well built and accurate the rest was history...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an FYI if your are considering using a Dillon 550, the "Y" powder funnel is to short to actuate the Dillon powder drop. I'll be sending it back and trying out the 6.5 grendel/creedmoor funnel next.

The "Y" funnel pictured next to the "A" (.223) and the powder die
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Just traded for one of these barrels and dies. Also got some amax and Barnes. Maybe in a few weeks I can post some results.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#9]
How does this round compare to 5.56 at short and long ranges and is there a way to make it fit into standard pmags?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ronnl001:
Just traded for one of these barrels and dies. Also got some amax and Barnes. Maybe in a few weeks I can post some results.
View Quote

The Hornady stuff is usually very accurate....the Barnes though can be more tricky due to the construction/bullet type combined
with the polygonal bore (rifling), it typically does not do as well as conventional projectiles...this seems to be a result of the solid
brass/copper material of the projectile not expanding enough to create a tight bore seal and thus less bore rifling engagement,
also, brass/copper have a lighter specific weight vs.lead and thus require a longer projectile length for the same grain weight
as lead core based projectiles...the plus side is copper and bore fouling is almost non existent with the polygonal bores and
also have a slight advantage with added velocity.

Anyway, enjoy your new rig and hopefully you will get plenty of enjoyment out of it...let us know how it woks out for you...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]

The Hornady stuff is usually very accurate....the Barnes though can be more tricky due to the construction/bullet type combined
with the polygonal bore (rifling), it typically does not do as well as conventional projectiles...this seems to be a result of the solid
brass/copper material of the projectile not expanding enough to create a tight bore seal and thus less bore rifling engagement,
also, brass/copper have a lighter specific weight vs.lead and thus require a longer projectile length for the same grain weight
as lead core based projectiles...the plus side is copper and bore fouling is almost non existent with the polygonal bores and

Anyway, enjoy your new rig and hopefully you will get plenty of enjoyment out of it...let us know how it woks out for you...

Good luck.
View All Quotes

Good luck.

I still also have 750 of the Lehigh defense bullets. I understand they weren't the most accurate for similar reasons. I also want to get a 6.5 Grendel and a creedmoor barrel for my mws so I should have some other uses for them anyways.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#12]

I still also have 750 of the Lehigh defense bullets. I understand they weren't the most accurate for similar reasons. I also want to get a 6.5 Grendel and a creedmoor barrel for my mws so I should have some other uses for them anyways.
View All Quotes

Good luck.

Excellent.

As a 6mm-7mm aficionado myself it is nice to have other weapons systems that have a common caliber...we got a LR .260 Remington for the longer
range work, it is more of a bench rifle as it tips the scales at 13 lbs with a heavy target profile 24" Bbl., while heavy, it is very stable, with low recoil
and is capable of 1,000 yard accurate shots with a quality scope...looking to have the barrel turned down and cut to 21" down the road...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Question: why do these seem to need modified mags but no on reports needing similarly modified mags with the 277 wolverine? It would appear that case should be more affected due to even larger bullet diameter in much the same way that the 762x40 is.

It doesn't matter as I have a big box of the 300 mags from a psa sale awhile back but just curious.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Question: why do these seem to need modified mags but no on reports needing similarly modified mags with the 277 wolverine? It would appear that case should be more affected due to even larger bullet diameter in much the same way that the 762x40 is.

It doesn't matter as I have a big box of the 300 mags from a psa sale awhile back but just curious.
View Quote

Because the shoulder on the Wolverine is bumped back so that the ogive of the 270 bullet rides the front mag rib. The 6.5PCC is a neck-up which means you have to avoid that pesky front mag rib in order to stack properly. The 6.5PCC allows for more case capacity this way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I've used 223 mags in the past.  Only loaded up 10 in a 20 and they worked fine before going 6.8 body and 223 followers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By spinlite1:
I am just curious if anyone here is familiar with Cryo treatment, I am considering sending 2 AR Barrels to 300 below inc,
From the reading I have done they seem to be the ones who have been doing it the longest and have a good reputaion .
The Claim is that it will improve Accuracy, improve durability, and increase velocity slightly.
View Quote

Wanted to give everyone a report, I had the cryo treatment by 300 blow inc, done to my 6.5 pcc barrel, I have not done enough shooting to say if it has made any improvement in accuracy, but I can say that I did see a 50 to 60 fps improvement in velocity on every load I have tested.  I will send off my other 6.5 pcc barrel off as well as my 7mm -08 barrel next and see if I see similiar improvement on those barrels.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Wanted to give everyone a report, I had the cryo treatment by 300 blow inc, done to my 6.5 pcc barrel, I have not done enough shooting to say if it has made any improvement in accuracy, but I can say that I did see a 50 to 60 fps improvement in velocity on every load I have tested.  I will send off my other 6.5 pcc barrel off as well as my 7mm -08 barrel next and see if I see similiar improvement on those barrels.
View All Quotes
I am just curious if anyone here is familiar with Cryo treatment, I am considering sending 2 AR Barrels to 300 below inc,
From the reading I have done they seem to be the ones who have been doing it the longest and have a good reputaion .
The Claim is that it will improve Accuracy, improve durability, and increase velocity slightly.

Thanks Spinlite1,

I had read and researched 300 Below Inc. and have found they have a very good rep In the Industry and they use the latest equipment and technology...I am glad it has
worked out for you with your AR barrels, and am willing to bet that it will live up to the advantages that they say the end user will receive...

I will be sending a few AR barrels to them as well to have them treated by 300 Below Inc. I believe the advantages they offer are worth the price...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Can someone post any available load data for the 95 Lehigh? I figure the Barnes 100 TTSX is not a bad place to start but would like any real-world data available.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Can someone post any available load data for the 95 Lehigh? I figure the Barnes 100 TTSX is not a bad place to start but would like any real-world data available.

Thanks!
View Quote

If you go to page 40/41 on the thread spinlite1 has done some listed loads with the 95gr.CC.

You can also email him he may have further load data with the 95gr CC.

You also can use the 100gr Barnes pills as your start point...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Another question: has anyone tried any of the 100+.grain otm bullets like the 107 matchking or 108 scenar? They may be too long and wanted to ask before ordering the a test box if someone knows.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Another question: has anyone tried any of the 100+.grain otm bullets like the 107 matchking or 108 scenar? They may be too long and wanted to ask before ordering the a test box if someone knows.
View Quote

107gr. SMK are OK when loaded long...max out between 2,500 to 2,620 fps from 20" to 24" barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#22]
Using the 107gr. SMK's (length @ 1.225" w/ a .430 G1 B/C) loaded to 2.295" COL w/ fire-formed Lake City cases (32 gr. H2O capacity)
w/ a case trim length of 1.645" and a MAP of 59K/60K PSI, the numbers look like this from a 20" and longer barrel length:

These are max. loads use with caution and reduce loads by at lest 10% to start:

Accurate 1680 powder: 22.23 grs. @ 2,550 fps. @ 89% case fill @ 60K PSI.

Alliant LT-32 powder: 24.70 grs. @ 2,552 fps.

Hogdon H335 powder: 25.20 grs. @ 2,488 fps.

Accurate 2200 powder: 23.57 grs.@ 2,562 fps. @100% case fill @ 59K PSI.

Most powders in the above range will generally work, especially fine spherical ("ball") which generally work best...

Hope this helps, good luck.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:22:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#23]
Here is another end user load for the Lehigh 95gr. CC round:

26.8grs of H335 @ 2,615 fps (20" Bbl.) using non fire-formed brass.

So with fire-formed brass (lake city or winchester) you should be
able to reach 2,700 fps with some room to spare depending
on barrel length, brass,powder, etc...with a 24" Bbl. 2,800
fps is possible...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#24]
While I am wearing out everyone on questions, has any consideration been given to benchmark, 1200r and/or power pro varmint? These all seem to fit the wheelhouse of this cartridge but I don't have quick load to even try. I have plenty of h335, but am always looking for a better mousetrap too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
While I am wearing out everyone on questions, has any consideration been given to benchmark, 1200r and/or power pro varmint? These all seem to fit the wheelhouse of this cartridge but I don't have quick load to even try. I have plenty of h335, but am always looking for a better mousetrap too.
View Quote

Benchmark does not seem to get the velocity we are looking for but seems accurate...

1200R may be worth looking at, it seems to work well for the .223 based .277 WLV round
so it may also work well for the 6.5 pcc...

Power Pro Varmint, I don't think anyone has tried yet with the 6.5 pcc...
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Benchmark does not seem to get the velocity we are looking for but seems accurate...

1200R may be worth looking at, it seems to work well for the .223 based .277 WLV round

View All Quotes

Are either in quick load? I have been hemorrhaging money or I would just buy it. I am also looking at some better bc bullets in the 85-95 grain class.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Are either in quick load? I have been hemorrhaging money or I would just buy it. I am also looking at some better bc bullets in the 85-95 grain class.
View All Quotes

The newest version (v3.9), I believe has the newest listed powders Including 1200R and PP Varmint...will have the newest version being shipped to the
shop within a week or so...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I

The newest version (v3.9), I believe has the newest listed powders Including 1200R and PP Varmint...will have the newest version being shipped to the
View All Quotes

I talked to the owner of maker bullets. He is going to make some 85gr tipped solid copper bullets. I also have another guy making some 85 grain jackets bthp's but they may still end up too long. A great sub 100gr bullet could really make this cartridge sing. We will see.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I

I talked to the owner of maker bullets. He is going to make some 85gr tipped solid copper bullets. I also have another guy making some 85 grain jackets bthp's but they may still end up too long. A great sub 100gr bullet could really make this cartridge sing. We will see.
View All Quotes
I

Hornady used to make a really nice 95gr. V-Max pill that was accurate and had good BC...but I think they discontinued it for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Hornady used to make a really nice 95gr. V-Max pill that was accurate and had good BC...but I think they discontinued it for some reason.
View Quote

Did they discontinue it? I thought they still made it?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RedFalconBill:

View All Quotes

Slight correction, according to the Hornady website they are still being made, however they are very difficult
to find in stock...365 G1 BC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Speaking of the Hornady 95gr V-Max, they will max out at 2,840 fps with the longer
barrel lengths in the 6.5mm PCC using H335...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ronnl001] [#33]

Slight correction, according to the Hornady website they are still being made, however they are very difficult
View All Quotes

In stock at gander.

Eta: the discontinuation of the 100 hornady sp and 100 Berger were much worse for this caliber - especially given the production 100 amax.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#34]

In stock at gander.

Eta: the discontinuation of the 100 hornady sp and 100 Berger were much worse for this caliber - especially given the production 100 amax.
View All Quotes

In stock at gander.

Excellent points...those 100gr Bergers were top notch in every form...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hockeynick39] [#35]
I use the 85 gr Sierra HP, #1700, out of mine with 30.6 gr of H355, CCI 450 SMP and an OAL of 2.285".  The velocity has been recorded on average at 2969 fps out of an 18" barrel.  Haven't had an opportunity to use it on furbearers yet,so don't know if it is friendly on fur or not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]
At those velocities (3,000 fps) the 85gr TNT's will hyper expand or possibly "explode" on target and will
likely not achieve full penetration of the animal (e.g. Yote) depending on the size of the animal and the
impact distance...
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#37]
At those velocities (3,000 fps) the 85gr TNT's will hyper expand or possibly "explode" on target and will
likely not achieve full penetration of the animal (e.g. Yote) depending on the size of the animal and the
impact distance...
View Quote

Speer makes the TNT and Sierra makes the Varminter.  I am using the Sierra Varminter, #1700 bullet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By hockeynick39:

Speer makes the TNT and Sierra makes the Varminter.  I am using the Sierra Varminter, #1700 bullet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hockeynick39:
impact distance...

Yep, I mixed them up...The TNT is a 90 grainer HP while the Varminter is a 85 grain HP...thanks for the correction...
Interestingly, the Varminter has the best B/C at 1,600 fps and below w/ a .264 vs. .225 @ 2,700 fps and above...

The 90 grain TNT has a B/C of .281 and a S/D of .184, no mention of velocity for the B/C number...
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:25:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ronnl001] [#39]
Assuming the weather cooperates, I plan to finally get to test a number of loads up.

I have prepped (small) ladders of:

85gr Sierra Varminter
95gr Lehigh controlled chaos
100gr FMJ
100gr AMAX
120 Sierra Pro Hunter

I also have 123 AMAX and 100 TTSX as well but don't want to just wear myself out shooting groups (I like to mix in some distance shooting with known loads as well as I have found it helps my stay concentrated when mixed in with smaller strings).

Eta: all of these were loaded over h335.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Also, there seems to be limited data indicating that 1680 is a good powder for this in an 18" barrel (what I have). Very few weights are listed though in the spreadsheet. Is there a reason 1680 was moved away from. I saw heavy compression with the 85's in particular - it certainly seems a faster powder could potentially increase the velocity there assuming the pressure curve was agreeable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:16:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#41]
AA-1680 is a fine powder that gives very good velocity and accuracy...One of the few reasons you
did not see that many loads with that powder is it is a relatively fast powder so it worked best with
barrel lengths 18" and shorter (while many had  20" and longer barrels)...The other being that AA1680
was really difficult to find on store shelves for quite a while.

So if you have access to AA1680 by all means use it for as many loads you can  make use of...
AA1680, AA2200, and AA2230 should all work fine with the 6.5mm PCC.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#42]
AA-1680 is a fine powder that gives very good velocity and accuracy...One of the few reasons you
did not see that many loads with that powder is it is a relatively fast powder so it worked best with
barrel lengths 18" and shorter (while many had  20" and longer barrels)...The other being that AA1680

So if you have access to AA1680 by all means use it for as many loads you can  make use of...

View Quote

I do have 10lbs or so of 1680.

Unfortunately, today's testing was cut short by a defective scope. I had a bushnell ers in the safe. I had pulled it off a rifle that I thought had an issue with a poor or damaged crown. Turns out, the problem was the scope. It wandered by more than 10 miles on consecutive shots. So, needless to say, the rifle went back in the case and the testing will have to wait until another day.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Unfortunately, today's testing was cut short by a defective scope. I had a bushnell ers in the safe. I had pulled it off a rifle that I thought had an issue with a poor or damaged crown. Turns out, the problem was the scope. It wandered by more than 10 miles on consecutive shots. So, needless to say, the rifle went back in the case and the testing will have to wait until another day.
View All Quotes

Boy that sucks, all the time and effort spent and to find a bad scope as the culprit .

Hopefully, your next session will lend itself to a much better outcome for all your hard work .

Thanks for the update.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Can 123 HPBT be seated to mag length (2.3) in this cartridge?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Yes, the 123 gr. Hornady A-Max tends to be the most accurate and gives the best velocity of the 123 gr. class...

The Hornady 120 gr. A-Max does even better, especially in velocity...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Yes, the 123 gr. Hornady A-Max tends to be the most accurate and gives the best velocity of the 123 gr. class...

Good luck.
View All Quotes

Good luck.

SPS has the nosler 123 for 190/k. Seriously thinking about a k. That's cheap plinkers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#47]

SPS has the nosler 123 for 190/k. Seriously thinking about a k. That's cheap plinkers.
View All Quotes

Good luck.

Yep, they are usually .29/.30 cents per round...they have a .252 S/D and a .510 G1 B/C .They are around 1.200" long so
they are not overly long for caliber considering the B/C and S/D numbers...They are usually quite accurate in most quality
barrels.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Twenty round C Products Defense 7.62x39 mags, with a 5.56 follower works pretty well.  Mags hold 15 rounds, but that first round is a little hard to chamber. Ran fine other than that. COAL is  around 2.3" .

Shot out to 700 yards today, on steel.  Wanted to compare the 123 grain to 75 grain .223.  The 123's  were definitely louder when they hit.

Rock chuckers.....

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Hilljack:
Twenty round C Products Defense 7.62x39 mags, with a 5.56 follower works pretty well.  Mags hold 15 rounds, but that first round is a little hard to chamber. Ran fine other than that. COAL is  around 2.3" .

http://photos.dragunov.us/i.ashx?gallery=4390857&mid=98463323&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

Shot out to 700 yards today, on steel.  Wanted to compare the 123 grain to 75 grain .223.  The 123's  were definitely louder when they hit.

Rock chuckers.....

http://photos.dragunov.us/i.ashx?gallery=4390857&mid=98463324&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

View Quote

Great looking set-up...enjoy and keep safe.

The 6.5mm 123's definitely will be the harder hitting round at distance...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us...

Have a safe and wonderful Christmas season.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]
That skull gun is sick!

Unique-ARs Handguards

The Jack
Page / 26
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top