User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 936 SLR Sentry will fit under their hands guards. And they have some 15, and i think a16" as well for the 308. Very nice stuff, and matches the MaTen very clean.
View Quote

They're very nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Welcome. Sounds like a slick rifle.

You need to upload your images to a photo host like photobucket, flickr, tinypic, etc.....
To post pictures copy and paste the IMG code.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You need to upload your images to a photo host like photobucket, flickr, tinypic, etc.....

http://flic.kr/p/rpLJFJ Thanx for the help
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The 936 SLR Sentry will fit under their hands guards. And they have some 15, and i think a16" as well for the 308. Very nice stuff, and matches the MaTen very clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think Lancers carbon fiber handguard will clear an SLR 9.

Ill give these a look over, appreciate it...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On Flickr go down to the "share" arrow (bottom right) and copy and paste the BB Code.

Like this:

Schuler Brake, best bang for you buck on the market... Pun intended!!!! by Shad Miller, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Muzzle brake by Shad Miller, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Atta boy

Now just choose a bigger size from the drop down above the BB Code link.

Ex:

MEGA MA-10 .308 by wareagle700, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Nevermind!!!
Patience young Jedi!!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Atta boy

Ex:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8634/15980436880_fe8789ba04_b.jpgMEGA MA-10 .308 by wareagle700, on Flickr
View Quote
God damn I was thinking about knights 45 degree offsets. I also considered a T1 in an offset mount, but for the amount Ill be using it, it doesnt make sense to blow a wad on it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Atta boy

Ex:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qm8V8N" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8634/15980436880_fe8789ba04_b.jpg</a>MEGA MA-10 .308 by wareagle700, on Flickr
View Quote

Mathecb,
Do you have a weight on your rifle only...no optics or mag?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Right at 8lbs if I remember right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I had an 8lb rifle.  Sorta.

My next one will likely be a Grendel on a MEGA -15 set to save some weight.  I'm at 14.5 with scope
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My next one will likely be a Grendel on a MEGA -15 set to save some weight.  I'm at 14.5 with scope
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about what these rifles wind up at.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I figured I'd give it one last try at the range with a new buffer and spring.

I also bought a box of FGMM 168's just to ensure it wasn't an error in handloading steps.

The bolt would not close all the way (again after passing a GO and not closing on a NO-GO both from Forster) and after 20 minutes mortaring, the MEGA "super-awesome billet" charging handle is now bent (a few whacks with a hammer got it moving freely in the channel at least) and the bolt is completely stuck.  Oh and the cleaning rod I attempted to use from the other end is also stuck.  (that's also not a gouge on the bolt carrier in the second photo; it's just a piece of lint that i already blew off)

naturally I expect everyone (mega, aim, rainier, federal) to blame everyone else when I contact them with the photos on Monday.  it's the american way.  make shit, market the fuck out of it on arfcom so everyone claims it's the best, and blame the customer when it goes to shit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I figured I'd give it one last try at the range with a new buffer and spring.

I also bought a box of FGMM 168's just to ensure it wasn't an error in handloading steps.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/gun_stuff/20150321_143439_zpspaoilwiv.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/gun_stuff/20150321_143515_zpsajvsyup1.jpg

The bolt would not close all the way (again after passing a GO and not closing on a NO-GO both from Forster) and after 20 minutes mortaring, the MEGA "super-awesome billet" charging handle is now bent (a few whacks with a hammer got it moving freely in the channel at least) and the bolt is completely stuck.  Oh and the cleaning rod I attempted to use from the other end is also stuck.  (that's also not a gouge on the bolt carrier in the second photo; it's just a piece of lint that i already blew off)

$750 takes the whole fucking gun.
View Quote

Really?

I would agree there's something extremely wrong with it, if it won't even chamber that ammo.
I wish I could get my hands on it, and see what's up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, really.  I'm so fucking done with this thing.  Either AIM's BCG is total shit, Rainier's barrel is total shit (considering the pounding I gave the cleaning rod, it probably is now lol), and/or Mega's receivers are shit.  I know their charging handle is complete shit, but that's beside the point.

ETA:  On second thought, everything but the barrel will be available for purchase.  I'm getting ready to set that up in my chopsaw and cut it near the chamber end so i can get this fucking thing apart.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, really.  I'm so fucking done with this thing.  Either AIM's BCG is total shit, Rainier's barrel is total shit (considering the pounding I gave the cleaning rod, it probably is now lol), and/or Mega's receivers are shit.  I know their charging handle is complete shit, but that's beside the point.
View Quote

You might do your blood pressure a favor and just chalk it up to bad luck, a bad combo, or maybe you did something wrong and just don't know it. None of those brands are shit, and to blame the world will only keep you angry.

You could have parted it out a few days ago and probably gotten most of your money back. Your anger and frustration pretty much assures that you've got 10 pounds of scrap metal now. Good folks here could have helped you.

Cut yourself some slack and take the lessons learned.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
you've got 10 pounds of scrap metal now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
you've got 10 pounds of scrap metal now.

Howso?  The receivers and handguard are shit because the BCG/round are stuck in the barrel?  How does that turn the receivers into scrap metal?

Good folks here could have helped you.

I originally attempted to get help, and there was much lol'ing and responses that I should have just bought a larue.  So if those are the "good people" who were trying to help, they can shove it up their ass.  If you're speaking to the people who instantly said I had to have done something wrong, yeah.  Totally helpful thing to say, especially while refusing to elaborate as to WHAT.  But it must OBVIOUSLY be my fault if the rifle passes a GO gauge, doesn't pass a NO-GO gauge, but then still refuses to chamber factory "match" ammo alleged to be high quality.

Cut yourself some slack and take the lessons learned.

Oh, don't worry, I'm still taking the lessons learned.  They just might not make a lot of folks happy for me to repeat them, so I won't.  

None of that is aimed at you or zia, merely responses to what you were saying.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Firing pin is snapped and the cam pin has rotated.  Anyone know how to get the cam pin rotated back when the BCG is completely frozen?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a rainier barrel ultra match that 2 bolts wouldn't close on. One being the AIM NiB. I was told by someone from Rainier Arms that I got the wrong barrel extension. Someone else told me to "just shoot it" after I told them the bolt wouldn't close.  Umm, no... I ended up sending the barrel back and they called me saying I did get the correct barrel.  I had to explain to them again that 2 different bolts didn't close on it. Their customer service is decent as i got my money back, but i will probably never order another barrel from them.

I ended up going with a JP match barrel/bolt combo. I just finished building it a few days ago and function checks perfectly.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a rainier barrel ultra match that 2 bolts wouldn't close on. One being the AIM NiB. I was told by someone from Rainier Arms that I got the wrong barrel extension. Someone else told me to "just shoot it" after I told them the bolt wouldn't close.  Umm, no... I ended up sending the barrel back and they called me saying I did get the correct barrel.  I had to explain to them again that 2 different bolts didn't close on it. Their customer service is decent as i got my money back, but i will probably never order another barrel from them.

I ended up going with a JP match barrel/bolt combo. I just finished building it a few days ago and function checks perfectly.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/druggiero/DSC_5379_zpsdpuv2ozd.jpg

View Quote

neat.

did you miss the several times i stated this combination headspaced fine?  i'm thinking you may have.

the cam pin is rotated inside the receiver because the firing pin snapped somehow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ETA:  On second thought, everything but the barrel will be available for purchase.  I'm getting ready to set that up in my chopsaw and cut it near the chamber end so i can get this fucking thing apart.
View Quote
Doesn't Aim's bcg have serrations on the side of it? Does that have anything to do with your issues. When I built my maten I used only the highest quality ingredients. Not saying Aims bcg is shit, but it def seems budget to me.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Doesn't Aim's bcg have serrations on the side of it? Does that have anything to do with your issues. When I built my maten I used only the highest quality ingredients. Not saying Aims bcg is shit, but it def seems budget to me.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what do serrations for a forward assist have to do with the cam pin rotating because the firing pin broke?  and how do forward assist serrations equate to a BCG being shitty?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I think you'll need to pull the barrel to get the BCG out at this point.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think you'll need to pull the barrel to get the BCG out at this point.

View Quote

I tried pulling the barrel...it won't budge.

But AIM did offer to have me send in the entire thing and they'd send me a new BCG.  seems like a completely fair trade.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
what do serrations for a forward assist have to do with the cam pin rotating because the firing pin broke?  and how do forward assist serrations equate to a BCG being shitty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why are you PM'ing me nasty shit? Me and the rest of the members are only truing to help. Instead you are taking your frustration out on people who you do not even know. For all I care you can take your shit build and shove it. Ill go back to the camp who says that you did something wrong because there seems to be no other explanation for your woes.

And dont PM me nasty shit when I did nothing to instigate you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why are you PM'ing me nasty shit? Me and the rest of the members are only truing to help. Instead you are taking your frustration out on people who you do not even know. For all I care you can take your shit build and shove it. Ill go back to the camp who says that you did something wrong because there seems to be no other explanation for your woes.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  I didn't PM you "nasty shit".

2.  I merely informed you I was still awaiting an explanation on what about forward assist serrations makes a BCG not a "high quality ingredient".  The insinuation with which your statement was extremely thick was that unless someone spends $500 on a JP BCG, they're using sub-standard parts.  By that rationale, Paul Leitner-Wise uses sub-standard parts.....is that your assertion?  If not, please explain what you meant, especially as it applies to forward-assist serrations causing the firing pin to break and allow the cam pin to rotate, causing the entire thing to bind up.

3.  It's a non-issue now; the entire assembly is underwater, IVO the red dot below:

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

2.  I merely informed you I was still awaiting an explanation on what about forward assist serrations makes a BCG not a "high quality ingredient".  The insinuation with which your statement was extremely thick was that unless someone spends $500 on a JP BCG, they're using sub-standard parts.  By that rationale, Paul Leitner-Wise uses sub-standard parts.....is that your assertion?  If not, please explain what you meant, especially as it applies to forward-assist serrations causing the firing pin to break and allow the cam pin to rotate, causing the entire thing to bind up.

3.  It's a non-issue now; the entire assembly is underwater, IVO the red dot below:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/gun_stuff/map_zpsec8vxhtp.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/gun_stuff/map_zpsec8vxhtp.png
Ok

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#28]
....and still refuses to explain how FA serrations cause the issue at hand.

If you wanted to come and insult me that's fine, but at least be a man and admit it. Don't get all pissy when you're called out for it by claiming you were just trying to help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously man. Lay of the piss and wheaties diet and chill out. At this point you sound like this gun gave you your first period.

ETA Can I get a ten digit for that location?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah sure, your only contribution is to make personal insults, so why wouldn't I go ahead and give that up to a guy who can't figure it out from a clear map?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

my condolences for the loss of your boat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't have a boat.  Tossed it off the bridge.  

I'll take my leave now so as to not sully this thread with problems for people to make fun of right off the bat, then get sand in their cunts when I ask them to explain what their insults mean with regard to the actual issue at hand.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you wanted to come and insult me that's fine, but at least be a man and admit it. Don't get all pissy when you're called out for it by claiming you were just trying to help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't do anything but suggest the possibility. I claim to know nothing. Maybe you should refrain from the shit talking and work to hone your reading comprehension ability.

Quoted:.

Seriously man. Lay of the piss and wheaties diet and chill out. At this point you sound like this gun gave you your first period.

Maybe he just needs a hug.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
New as a user but not new to the site... This thread itself has been my go to over the last 10months...
A little back ground... Never owned an AR and just bought one on a whim, a DPMS Gen II about a yr ago...I was instantly in love with the platform...
Most of my shooting background is with custom rifles and competitor archery in the past... That being said I felt like there had to something out there that was of better quality... Thus the build began...
It's been more of a behind the scenes project buying this and that here and there... But I recently sold the 308 and bought a DD M7... And began shooting more and more, now my project has become my obsession...
My parts list:
Mega Reciever set
MagPul PRS
Jp LMOS
Jp Silent Capture spring
Troy Ambi mag release with Seekins button
Seekins Tactical bolt Release
Geissele SAA-E
Ergo grip
BAD ASS CASS-SA
26" Kreiger 6.5 Creedmoor Bull threaded by Ross Schuler
SLR Sentry 9 Melonite .936 clamp on

The only peice of the puzzle missing is the handguard...
This is where I need help...
I know I want a 15" er, to cover up the GB but can't for the life of me find one with a large enough ID to fit an adjustable .936 under...
From my research, Google experts I found that I need somewhere in the range of a 1.875 ID to be safe....
I've personal contacted JP, JD, and even Unique for a custom but as far have only found one that will work ...
AP customs handguards have a 1.93 ID... Are there any others that are possibly off the grid that I might look into... Thanx in advance Shad
View Quote

Ok brother I was in the same boat so I will try to help you out if you haven't already bought some stuff.

I hate the lancer rail.  I spent way too much on it and then sold it almost right away.  It is huge and carbon fiber the mounting options on it are very very weak.

I went with an SLR option instead.  I believe the SLR requires a SET version of the SLR9 and doesn't like the clamp.  You can call doug at slr and find out if that is still true but Im pretty sure it is.  

mega with slr and kreiger 22 barrel on it.  

I think the lancer was an over priced pile of junk.  
Here is the same basic rifle when it was dressed with the lancer rail if they were pushing out the new full top rail versions I might feel different about it but the full carbon ones suck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok brother I was in the same boat so I will try to help you out if you haven't already bought some stuff.

I hate the lancer rail.  I spent way too much on it and then sold it almost right away.  It is huge and carbon fiber the mounting options on it are very very weak.

I went with an SLR option instead.  I believe the SLR requires a SET version of the SLR9 and doesn't like the clamp.  You can call doug at slr and find out if that is still true but Im pretty sure it is.  
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8139.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8139.jpg</a>

Here is the same basic rifle when it was dressed with the lancer rail if they were pushing out the new full top rail versions I might feel different about it but the full carbon ones suck.
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_7974.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_7974.jpg</a>
View Quote

Another strong 2nd vote for the SLR rail. I put a Solo on my 12.5" and it convinced me that I needed one for my 18" was well.

Nick....What color/finish is your build. It looks badass brother.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The receivers at least, look like Alumahyde II Earth Brown.  Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Mr. Ferret,

I think you got several lemon parts that just don't get along. I know these rifles can go together and run great and other than the AIM BCG I would trust all the components you chose. Do you still have the rifle? If so shoot me an IM, I had to do some troubleshooting when I first got mine together and ended up with a decent understanding of what to look for with certain problems.

First thing I would do is exchange the BCG. I don't trust one unless I n ow where it came from. AIM is getting them cheap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going for a swim
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Another strong 2nd vote for the SLR rail. I put a Solo on my 12.5" and it convinced me that I needed one for my 18" was well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8139.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8139.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_7974.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_7974.jpg</a>

Its cerakote and it is just the color the company I like mixes for magpul fde.  I really like dealing with a top notch company for coating stuff like that because they have the mix down.  When I changed out front ends out I called him and he told me to send the rail right on out and it color matched very nicely.  If you aren't up on that coating even the stock colors right from nic will look slightly different if you don't mix the same way.  This is a custom color he does and it matches great.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pasadena!

I went to CHS in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Its cerakote and it is just the color the company I like mixes for magpul fde.  I really like dealing with a top notch company for coating stuff like that because they have the mix down.  When I changed out front ends out I called him and he told me to send the rail right on out and it color matched very nicely.  If you aren't up on that coating even the stock colors right from nic will look slightly different if you don't mix the same way.  This is a custom color he does and it matches great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they're standard Magpul FDE isn't.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know who his guy is (or at least I suspect I do, cause I've used him in the past too ) and he's right....dude knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know who his guy is (or at least I suspect I do, cause I've used him in the past too ) and he's right....dude knows his stuff.
View Quote

Im sure you are talking about the same guy I always use michael ware at CCA.  My brother has a coating business so I know what the shitty ones look like and I know how amateurs try to pimp it as the same product at a cheaper cost while having inconsistencies in the color or thickness of spray.  I have had zero issues with CCA for this so I am more than happy to hand my guns off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Im sure you are talking about the same guy I always use michael ware at CCA.  My brother has a coating business so I know what the shitty ones look like and I know how amateurs try to pimp it as the same product at a cheaper cost while having inconsistencies in the color or thickness of spray.  I have had zero issues with CCA for this so I am more than happy to hand my guns off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  They're quickly becoming one of the premier coaters in the midwest, if not the nation....for good reason.  Michael's the friggin man.

Plus he ain't askeered to get cold and wet to help Big R....
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#46]
A Mega Maten is sitting in the water forming a reef while I'm sitting here, a broke ass student paying my way through college trying to save enough to build my own project gun.  

Dammit!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Cerakote/NIC. It doesn't match real well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Whos magpul FDE isn't?

SLR? Im confused.
View Quote

I simply meant the nic industries color for FDE doesn't match well.  I haven't gotten any colored items from SLR I am sure they put out great color jobs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 52
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top