BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/7/2008 6:35:32 AM EDT
RE-EDIT of original post since some folk were having a hard time following my ramblings.

I talked to Tim over at Cardinal/Kotonics THIS AM, concerning an update to the post he made over at 68forum about new problems concerning his 6.8 barrels. See HERE www.68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3117

Here is the post he made:

Quoted:

In the past two weeks I have become aware of (yet another) problem with the barrels that have been shipping for the past year.

Art K of Silver State confirmed with calibrated ammo fired through one of our latest barrels that excess pressure is still being exhibited, even when the chambers have been reamed and polished. Velocities from test ammo were over 100 feet/sec lower than expected.

About a year ago I switched chrome companies. I made that change, trusting the advice of a company who has since then shown themselves to be severely challenged morally and ethically, but it was my decision to change and now the "chickens have come home to roost." Every problem that we have experienced has been due to this change. Chambers had excess chrome, and it took a while to work out a fix for this problem. Now it is virtually certain that the bores also have excess chrome. Over the weekend I ran lead slugs through barrels and found that the bores were as much as 0.0007 undersized. Excess chrome in the bore cannot be fixed. I know, I tried.

I am considering legal action against the company that has been doing the chrome for our barrels, because of the damage that has been done.

I have already contacted a company who is making air gage plugs to be able to air gage the bores of our barrels, and I have contacted the company that did our chrome at the beginning and informed them that all our barrels will be coing back to them.

Until we have barrels that have been air-gaged, I can no longer guarantee that the Cardinal Armory barrel you have will handle combat loads reliably. It will be at LEAST two montch before we have air gage equipment in-place.

I am going to lay it on the line with you. This is a serious problem. It is serious not from a technical aspect but from a business aspect.

I have made every effort to supply the best quality product that I could, at a reasonable price. What will happen to my company as a result of this remains to be seen.

- Tim

unquote, end of his post.

MY SITUATION:
I have been having problems with my 6.8 upper blowing primers since May, and despite Tim re-reaming the chamber, later replacing the barrel, and Art at SSA exchanging the ammo, I am still having the issue. Several others have as well. See here for my ordeal: www.68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2399

I TALKED TO HIM TODAY SINCE HE HASN'T UPDATED US ON THE SITUATION IN A COUPLE DAYS and was wondering what the prospects were of getting a barrel that was as advertised - ie, combat load capable - Here's what he said, HIS MOUTH TO MY EAR, ON THE PHONE:

Basically due to lack of funds to have more barrels made up and chromed by the old company, he's going out of business. No prospect of replacing my barrel with one that has a proper size bore, and so I'm stuck with crappy old Remington/Hornady ammo, not the hotter loads he sold it as being capable of safely shooting. I haven't gotten either of those ammoes, and so I can't even confirm that the barrel doesn't have a problem with them either.

END OF WHAT HE SAID

I am NOT happy, to say the least. I don't blame him for what the chromer's messed up; one major problem was that he had no contract with the chromer, and after talking to a couple lawyers that he said that he basically has no recourse with them. He has to eat it, and doesn't have the funds to make more barrels.

Unfortunately no one else makes barrels with similar specs, so I am truly shit out of luck. A $839 upper that doesn't work properly. So what if it MAYBE shoots watered down ammo, it's still not as it was advertised. I could have bought a cheap RRA barrel instead if I had wanted that.

Note that he's put alot of the items on his website on sale, but hasn't mentioned his impending closing, nor does he say anything about the barrels possibly being not as advertised (buy at your own risk that it won't shoot combat loads).

I have been flamed before for warning people that something was amiss at a vendor, and I expect to be again, but this time I do have it from the horse's mouth as it were.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Timing, as they say, is everything... I had just ratholed away $1100 and was about to but one of his uppers.

Now what?

Perhaps I'll invest in a .308
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Taggage
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I talked to Tim 3 days ago and he swore he was going to make everything right. Now I'm not so sure. My upper bought, 30days ago, overpressures with commercial loads. It is unusable with ANY ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]
youch, this doesn't look good.  

not the first guy to show up, do well and burn out, a few come to mind - ar15barrels, jnewt....

guess business is harder than just plain gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Note that he's put alot of the items on his website on sale, but hasn't mentioned his impending closing, nor does he say anything about the barrels possibly being not as advertised (buy at your own risk that it won't shoot combat loads).

Ok, Just from a reading comprehension standpoint, the title of your thread states "Ko-Tonics/Cardinal Armory is going out of business" then inside the post you state , "he's put alot of the items on his website on sale, , but hasn't mentioned his impending closing" so where did he say he is closing? If he is, Id like to get some of the sale items...

I'm with you.  If he's going out of business, I want to hear it in his voice plain as day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm with you. If he's going out of business, I want to hear it in his voice plain as day.

We're trying to be fair here by not destroying Tim's reputation in case he has intentions of making right but..... I, and others, have copies of an e-amail from him to another member stating CLEARLY that he is DONE, and as of this AM ARFCOM and 6.8Forum members calling him and him USING THOSE WORDS! I'm not sharing it publicly as it is second hand but make no mistake I have every word. I'm sure someone less kind is going to post it anytime now but I won't be the first. Not yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Taggage

The black clouds of the interweb are gathering

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I know that Tim has an almost mythical reputation around here - and as I mentioned I'll keep my order as a show of faith.  But a lot of people with less-than-disposable income have plunked down large amounts of cash for product that now seems to have serious QC problems and little to no teeth remaining in the warranty department.

THis appears to be no fault of Tim's at all - in fact it appears to be a truly tragic end to the American Dream of small business and the company that more or less made the 6.8 what it is.

But the OP should not be blamed for reposting what Tim emailed him - I think it's only right that consumers understand the implications not only for their recent investments, but for those of use who show up, see discounted prices (with no disclaimer of any kind) and say "Oh, wow - a kickass Cardinal Armory barrel with all the latest specs at a fantastic price and a 30-day guarantee!  I'll take two!"

I think the later would tarnish Tim's image far more than all of us (Tim included) biting the bullet because of a bad chromer with no culpability.  It is what it is...   now what?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Cold,

I apologize for my original post being a difficult read and perhaps a little less clear than it should have been. Editing it now would just be bad form and look bad...

I blame a combination of sleep depravation and being irritated. 2nd and 3rd paragraph down from the quoted material mention that I talked to him this AM. I know better than to speak ill of an advertiser on mere heresay or speculation. Especially since I have taken flames in the past for relating a bad experience with an advertiser (who later messily went out of business).
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's get it cleared up, and in public. My open letter to Tim his Industry page;

What's the real story?

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#15]
  I have to agree with RRA-223. Having no disclaimer of any kind isn't the way to go as it has great image damaging potential. My hope is that this is an "oversight". The kind that comes from your livelihood being in jeopardy.... STRESS!!!
  Having said that, Tim did cancelled my order for one of his barrels as I would have not received the product as advertised. That would lead me to believe Tim is trying to do the right things...
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just to let you all know, Tim at Kotonics/Cardinal posted a couple of days ago over at 68forum that he finally traced down the problem some people have been having with his barrels blowing primers with SSA combat load ammo. I have pasted his post for those who are interested. www.68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3117&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Quoted:

In the past two weeks I have become aware of (yet another) problem with the barrels that have been shipping for the past year.

Art K of Silver State confirmed with calibrated ammo fired through one of our latest barrels that excess pressure is still being exhibited, even when the chambers have been reamed and polished. Velocities from test ammo were over 100 feet/sec lower than expected.

About a year ago I switched chrome companies. I made that change, trusting the advice of a company who has since then shown themselves to be severely challenged morally and ethically, but it was my decision to change and now the "chickens have come home to roost." Every problem that we have experienced has been due to this change. Chambers had excess chrome, and it took a while to work out a fix for this problem. Now it is virtually certain that the bores also have excess chrome. Over the weekend I ran lead slugs through barrels and found that the bores were as much as 0.0007 undersized. Excess chrome in the bore cannot be fixed. I know, I tried.

I am considering legal action against the company that has been doing the chrome for our barrels, because of the damage that has been done.

I have already contacted a company who is making air gage plugs to be able to air gage the bores of our barrels, and I have contacted the company that did our chrome at the beginning and informed them that all our barrels will be coing back to them.

Until we have barrels that have been air-gaged, I can no longer guarantee that the Cardinal Armory barrel you have will handle combat loads reliably. It will be at LEAST two montch before we have air gage equipment in-place.

I am going to lay it on the line with you. This is a serious problem. It is serious not from a technical aspect but from a business aspect.

I have made every effort to supply the best quality product that I could, at a reasonable price. What will happen to my company as a result of this remains to be seen.

- Tim

unquote

I have been having problems with my 6.8 upper blowing primers since May, and despite Tim re-reaming the chamber, later replacing the barrel, and Art at SSA exchanging the ammo, I am still having the issue. Several others have as well. See here for my ordeal: www.68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2399

I talked to him today since he hadn't updated us about the situation, and was wondering what the prospects were of getting a barrel that was as advertised - ie, combat load capable - Here's the gist of it:

Basically due to lack of funds to have more barrels made up and chromed by the old company, he's going out of business. No prospect of replacing my barrel with one that has a proper size bore, and so I'm stuck with crappy old Remington/Hornady ammo, not the hotter loads he sold it as being capable of safely shooting. I haven't gotten either of those ammoes, and so I can't even confirm that the barrel doesn't have a problem with them either.

I am NOT happy, to say the least. I don't blame him for what the chromer's messed up; one major problem was that he had no contract with the chromer, and after talking to a couple lawyers that he said that he basically has no recourse with them. He has to eat it, and doesn't have the funds to make more barrels.

Unfortunately no one else makes barrels with similar specs, so I am truly shit out of luck. A $839 upper that doesn't work properly. So what if it MAYBE shoots watered down ammo, it's still not as it was advertised. I could have bought a cheap RRA barrel instead if I had wanted that.

I have been flamed before for warning people that something was amiss at a vendor, and I expect to be again, but this time I do have it from the horse's mouth as it were.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Who are you to make a "heads up" pronouncement that somebody is going out of business, based on a statement that he made that indicates no such thing?

All you have is speculation, and it's pretty weak speculation.  

It's not as though you made a post saying that maybe he was in trouble or going out of business.  No, you post a "heads up" and make a definite pronouncement.

You have nothing from the horse's mouth.

I don't know if you have an agenda here or if you simply (and ignorantly) think you are doing a good thing, but I highly suggest you edit your post and the thread title, or ask that it be trashed.  A person recklessly making a statement like this can cost businesses money and reputation and such losses may be actionable, depending on relevant state law.  There is already one lawsuit underway about statements made on this board - you do not want to be the second.

It would be in your best interest to make this thread go away and either wait for some actual evidence before issuing another "warning," or (better yet), MYOFB.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you. If he's going out of business, I want to hear it in his voice plain as day.

We're trying to be fair here by not destroying Tim's reputation in case he has intentions of making right but..... I, and others, have copies of an e-amail from him to another member stating CLEARLY that he is DONE, and as of this AM ARFCOM and 6.8Forum members calling him and him USING THOSE WORDS! I'm not sharing it publicly as it is second hand but make no mistake I have every word. I'm sure someone less kind is going to post it anytime now but I won't be the first. Not yet.

Hey if he has stated so in emails, and you have them, I have no reason to think otherwise, however this is news to me, and as he a Industry Partner here on Ar15.com it is not looked highly upon to speculate on such matters. If those emails state he is calling it quits, then so be it.  I would think he would make a formal announcement then simply allowing the peanut gallery do it for him is all. Again, if this is he case. I want in on some of the sale items... so I'd like to know if he is in fact shutting down.

I noticed he no longer has the upper assemblies on the web...
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Who are you to make a "heads up" pronouncement that somebody is going out of business, based on a statement that he made that indicates no such thing?

It's not as though you made a post saying that maybe he was in trouble or going out of business.  No, you post a "heads up" and make a definite pronouncement.

I don't know if you have an agenda here or if you simply (and ignorantly) think you are doing a good thing, but I highly suggest you edit your post and the thread title, or ask that it be trashed.  A person recklessly making a statement like this can cost businesses money and reputation and such losses may be actionable, depending on relevant state law.  There is already one lawsuit underway about statements made on this board - you do not want to be the second.

It would be in your best interest to make this thread go away and either wait for some actual evidence before issuing another "warning," or (better yet), MYOFB.

I am going to edit the original post because there are more than a few people who are not seeing that I wrote that I talked to Tim this AM. He SAID IT TO ME ON THE PHONE THAT HE WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. RIGHT FROM HIS DAMN MOUTH TO MY EAR THAT HE WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS AND THAT HE WAS "DONE".
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I am going to edit the original post because there are more than a few people who are not seeing that I wrote that I talked to Tim this AM. He SAID IT TO ME ON THE PHONE THAT HE WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. RIGHT FROM HIS DAMN MOUTH TO MY EAR THAT HE WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS AND THAT HE WAS "DONE".

Well, an "excited utterance" is not an absolute admission in some instances.  He may lose a lot of money and stay in business, or he may go under.  His reaction to current stresses (that are not entirely under his control) may effect what he says in the short term...
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, an "excited utterance" is not an absolute admission in some instances.  He may lose a lot of money and stay in business, or he may go under.  His reaction to current stresses (that are not entirely under his control) may effect what he says in the short term...

I don't expect you to believe me, that's fine. If you want to wait for a letter in the mail saying he's going out of business, or something on his website, also fine. But I have spoken the truth as I knew it, and that's that. This happens every time I bring up issues with a vendor; the various fanboi scream "liar" and "lawsuit", etc.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't expect you to believe me, that's fine. If you want to wait for a letter in the mail saying he's going out of business, or something on his website, also fine. But I have spoken the truth as I knew it, and that's that. This happens every time I bring up issues with a vendor; the various fanboi scream "liar" and "lawsuit", etc.

I'm not saying I don't believe you.  I'm saying there's a difference between saying something and actually having it happen!  I've been in an auto accident where I said aloud "Ahhhh shit, I'm dead", (I actually believed I was going to be killed) but I'm here talking to you via the internet at this moment...

I trust what you've said to be true and will continue to do so until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what's the whole point of this thread?

Are you some kind of self-appointed crusader?  

MYOB.  If CA is going out of business, let them make the announcement.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not saying I don't believe you.  I'm saying there's a difference between saying something and actually having it happen!  I've been in an auto accident where I said aloud "Ahhhh shit, I'm dead", (I actually believed I was going to be killed) but I'm here talking to you via the internet at this moment...

I trust what you've said to be true and will continue to do so until proven otherwise.

Okay, thaks for your provisional support then.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I talked to Tim yesterday.  He is going out of business.  I tried to order an upper monday night.  Then tuesday morning I had an email stating my order had been cancelled.  I finally got a hold of him on the phone, and he told me the quick run down.  He also told me I could order all the components for my upper.  SO.....I did so.  Now.....The issues with the chrome lining.....I wish I had known this.  Am I going to be ok working up my own ammo?  Am I going to have issues with all ammo?  Im not very knowledgable about barrels and how they are made etc.  But, a barrel that is .0007 in too small is a bad thing right?  When I ordered yesterday Tim made no mention of this.

So......what am I to do now that barrel is probably in the mail?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what's the whole point of this thread?

Are you some kind of self-appointed crusader?  

MYOB.  If CA is going out of business, let them make the announcement.

Well. I see you haven't had a problem with a vendor, and after trying for awhile to get it resolved, to let others know of the problem so they might avoid the same? Especially since said vendor said to me on the phone that he wouldn't be able to make my upper right, that I was basically SOL and that he was going out of business. You think other people wouldn't want to know about this?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#28]

It's not as though you made a post saying that maybe he was in trouble or going out of business. No, you post a "heads up" and make a definite pronouncement.

I don't know if you have an agenda here or if you simply (and ignorantly) think you are doing a good thing, but I highly suggest you edit your post and the thread title, or ask that it be trashed. A person recklessly making a statement like this can cost businesses money and reputation and such losses may be actionable, depending on relevant state law. There is already one lawsuit underway about statements made on this board - you do not want to be the second.

Some people here have been drinking too much of the Ko-tonics Kool-aid. As you'll note I've addressed Tim directly and asked him to confirm or deny publicly to put this to rest but enough of the blind devotion already. There are at least three different members who have had him say clearly and directly "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" via phone or e-mail. It is most certainly not an impulsive utterance!
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, Cold, can we just delete this thread? I'm tired of the hassle, and frankly, regret trying to help anyone out. Let folk figure it out for themselves what's going on.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]

I think its a good idea to know if he is or is not going out of business, as this thread was the first I heard. If people can stay civil, which seems to be the case for the most part, it is fine to stay as is. Several people have come forward and stated Tim said he is out of the game. Another member posted a link to a question in CA's industry forum. Lets see what happens, if this thread goes south I am sure Z, M4M or I will lock it, but as of now its all CoC compliant. You did not do this maliciously so it seems so there is no reason to close it. You were simply posting to let others know what was going on.

I second that. Too late to stop the train now. I ,and others here, have some hard earned cash hanging on the outcome. Paulosanto from here and 6.8forum just posted that he talked to Tim today and that Tim was going to stop by over there and post an update "when he gets a chance" Didn't seem like teribly positive news but I'll be on the lookout and link it ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I used to get cranky about AA's deathgrip on the Grendel, but as I watch the 6.8 drama unfold I'm starting to think their was some logic in his madness.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I am sorry some of you received bad barrels with no fix in sight, but at the same time am glad I am one of the "lucky" ones.  I have had my KT lightwieght 16" bbl. for a couple of months now and mine eats anything I feed it, including SSA combat loadings.  If I should develope problems in the future, at least I will know the probable cause.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am sorry some of you received bad barrels with no fix in sight, but at the same time am glad I am one of the "lucky" ones.  I have had my KT lightwieght 16" bbl. for a couple of months now and mine eats anything I feed it, including SSA combat loadings.  If I should develope problems in the future, at least I will know the probable cause.

MadDog

You'd already be having problems if it was a chrome lining issues...
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MadDog

You'd already be having problems if it was a chrome lining issues...

....and it wouldn't do you a bit of good knowing the probable cause, because if it's too much chrome in the bore, as opposed to just the chamber, there's no fix!
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#36]
shotgun: It will tell me it is time to get another barrel, this time from a different manufacturer.  I believe I paid $235 for the lightweight KT bbl. so if it holds out fine if not changing bbls. won't break the bank.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
shotgun: It will tell me it is time to get another barrel, this time from a different manufacturer.  I believe I paid $235 for the lightweight KT bbl. so if it holds out fine if not changing bbls. won't break the bank.

MadDog

Ah, that is indeed what it would tell you, but as you said you seem to have gotten a good one and as others mentioned you won't develope a chrome issue. Either you have it from the start or you don't, so you are a lucky guy. Sucks a little to be some of us other less lucky guys today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Quoted:
Spoke to CA just moments ago, long story short, it sounds like Cardinal Armory is going to liquidate current inventory.
What is sad is it sounds like he will be unable to offer a remedy to excess pressure in some barrels due to the Chrome Plater issue.

I talked to a company today by the name of NECO. He has firelapping abrasives and bullets similar to the Tubb's system. I explained the excess chrome issue to him and he said he thought his system would work in removing the excess chrome. You can roll your own bullets or get the bullets with the abrasives already imbedded in the bullet.
What do you think? Have you or anyone else had any experience with that system? I wouldn't mind trying it but $70 for the kit is a lot if it don't work.
1 kit is supposed to do 10-12 barrels.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I talked to a company today by the name of NECO. He has firelapping abrasives and bullets similar to the Tubb's system. I explained the excess chrome issue to him and he said he thought his system would work in removing the excess chrome. You can roll your own bullets or get the bullets with the abrasives already imbedded in the bullet.
What do you think? Have you or anyone else had any experience with that system? I wouldn't mind trying it but $70 for the kit is a lot if it don't work.
1 kit is supposed to do 10-12 barrels.

NECO's process removes .0001" or less; Cardinal Armory's barrels may need up to .0007" removed. That's a LOT of very hard chrome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Out of the hundreds of experienced people on here looks like someone has had this happen to them before and know how to fix it..
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I used to get cranky about AA's deathgrip on the Grendel, but as I watch the 6.8 drama unfold I'm starting to think their was some logic in his madness.

I don't think this is a "6.8 drama" at all. A small business had a problem with a vender and doesn't have deep enough pockets to absorb it and keep things going.  Kudos to Tim for trying to sell an affordable barrel and helping to fine tune the barrel specs for the 6.8spc.

Oh and a pox on the chrome vender.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#44]
It seems a little early to be playing taps, but if this information is true...
Are there any suppliers that are offering stainless steel 6.8 spc barrels with the improved chamber and twist rate? I was never a fan of chroming in the 1st place. If this means the demise of kotonics would someone be able to obtain the reamers and such needed to continue to manufacture the barrels? I was planning on building a 2nd 6.8 SPC and using kotonics as the parts supplier...where does this leave me?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It seems a little early to be playing taps, but if this information is true...
Are there any suppliers that are offering stainless steel 6.8 spc barrels with the improved chamber and twist rate? I was never a fan of chroming in the 1st place. If this means the demise of kotonics would someone be able to obtain the reamers and such needed to continue to manufacture the barrels? I was planning on building a 2nd 6.8 SPC and using kotonics as the parts supplier...where does this leave me?

Very high quality stainless steel 6.8 barrels with DMR chamber (like Wylde for 5.56) and 1:11, 1:12 twist here.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I don't think this is a "6.8 drama" at all. A small business had a problem with a vender and doesn't have deep enough pockets to absorb it and keep things going.  Kudos to Tim for trying to sell an affordable barrel and helping to fine tune the barrel specs for the 6.8spc.

I agree. Cardinal just happened to be the business that was affected this time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. Cardinal just happened to be the business that was affected this time.

This is just one more piece of the drama, there have been many cases. My brother and friend have 3 barrels between them, none of them are the same spec and one of them is one of these barrels.

I'm not bashing the 6.8, I'm just saying that I'm starting to see why getting a SAAMI spec doesn't seem to mean much, especially when the actual ideal spec has nothing to do with SAAMI. Hell, I think the current optimal spec was actually the result of a mistake by Model 1 on some of their barrels.

The Grendel lock-down can some times be frustrating, but at least you know that when you buy from an AA licensed dealer you get the same thing Bill spec'd out in the begining.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top