BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hack I can store some of those uppers and rifle's for you just send them to me ! :)  Looks real nice man !
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Well truth is they don't all belong to me. Some of them belong to a friend who ran out of safe room. But they look cool though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys, these rifles kick a$$!

I have seen the big bore arfs around from time to time, but never paid much attention to them… until now.

I do have to admit, I have a couple favorites of all the weapons pictured, they’re all cool, but I’ve really gotten on the K.I.S.S. bandwagon. So…

ANGST’s rifle is about as simple as it gets, love it.

And I love the rail on top of DocGP’s rifle.

Now, if I haven’t offended all of you, I’ve got a ton of questions.

Does the AA comp really diminish recoil be 50%? Kinda looks cool on the front end of the rifle, but just having a half inch hole is cool enough!

Along the same lines, now that the ban is dead, is there a flash hider for the Beowulf? Or is there even enough of a flash to warrant a flash hider?

I remember seeing this pic, I think it was from MSTN, but it shows an “operator” in Iraq or Afghanistan with a 50 Beowulf, no muzzle device and what appears to be an Alexander Arms lower receiver (and a lot of spray paint).

I’m thinking with such a cavernous bore and a relatively small case, the 50 Beowulf is nowhere near bore capacity; has anyone thought about SBRing one of these? Do you know how much of the barrel is needed for a good burn?

Is there any advantage to getting a complete weapon from Alexander Arms? I saw some of you talking about different buffers, I was thinking that maybe AA has some special buffer/carrier weight that comes with their rifle where one wouldn’t have to experiment with it.

I see that a bunch of you have some pretty nice scopes on your Beowulfs. Is the 16-inch 50 Beowulf accurate enough to warrant a magnified optic. I realize that with a half-inch bullet, MOA might be tough to determine, but would a guy be just as well off with an Aimpoint or EOTech?

Many nOOb questions, but I really appreciate your patience. Thanks.

With what would be a 30-round magazine for 5.56 arf, how many rounds of 50 Beowulf can you hold? Does the mag need to be modified to the big rounds and to what extent?

Guys, thanks again for taking the time to read all this. With any luck and a few more paychecks, you’ll have another convert here.

-Chris  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guys, these rifles kick a$$!

I have seen the big bore arfs around from time to time, but never paid much attention to them… until now.

I do have to admit, I have a couple favorites of all the weapons pictured, they’re all cool, but I’ve really gotten on the K.I.S.S. bandwagon. So…

ANGST’s rifle is about as simple as it gets, love it.
img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/arf/3636c6b0.jpg

And I love the rail on top of DocGP’s rifle.
img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/arf/7583c584.jpg

Now, if I haven’t offended all of you, I’ve got a ton of questions.

Does the AA comp really diminish recoil be 50%? Kinda looks cool on the front end of the rifle, but just having a half inch hole is cool enough! i would like to know this too

Along the same lines, now that the ban is dead, is there a flash hider for the Beowulf? Or is there even enough of a flash to warrant a flash hider? look for tony rumore or shivan's thread, tony of tromix makes an a1

I remember seeing this pic, I think it was from MSTN, but it shows an “operator” in Iraq or Afghanistan with a 50 Beowulf, no muzzle device and what appears to be an Alexander Arms lower receiver (and a lot of spray paint).

img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/23ced349.jpg

I’m thinking with such a cavernous bore and a relatively small case, the 50 Beowulf is nowhere near bore capacity; has anyone thought about SBRing one of these? Do you know how much of the barrel is needed for a good burn?

Is there any advantage to getting a complete weapon from Alexander Arms? I saw some of you talking about different buffers, I was thinking that maybe AA has some special buffer/carrier weight that comes with their rifle where one wouldn’t have to experiment with it. everything is the same as a 5.56 ar, only difference is that its a .50 barrel, lower says beowulf.50 here is a pic of mine

I see that a bunch of you have some pretty nice scopes on your Beowulfs. Is the 16-inch 50 Beowulf accurate enough to warrant a magnified optic. I realize that with a half-inch bullet, MOA might be tough to determine, but would a guy be just as well off with an Aimpoint or EOTech? im gonna leave it with iron sights for time being but an aimpoint would be first choice when time comes

Many nOOb questions, but I really appreciate your patience. Thanks.

With what would be a 30-round magazine for 5.56 arf, how many rounds of 50 Beowulf can you hold? Does the mag need to be modified to the big rounds and to what extent? if i remember correctly it was liek 7 or 10

Guys, thanks again for taking the time to read all this. With any luck and a few more paychecks, you’ll have another convert here.
i was recently bitten by the wulf bug myself

-Chris  

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
30rd 5.56 mags wil accomodate 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have fired a beowulf witha brake installed and without.
Honestly, to me there was a marginal difference. No I don't know whether to attribute this to the different stocks , My thumb hole versus an ace socom stock with a thick butt pad.
The biggest difference in felt recoil in mine was realised with the MGI buffer.
And I still use a standard buffer spring, no+10% or anything special.

Those threads about the flash hiders give a lot of good info and if ou are interested send Tony an email and he will get back to you with a reply and a quote on threading the barrel and the A1 flashider and the brake originally designed for the 50AE upper they produce.

And eklikwhoa is correct, everything is a standard AR part.
All parts of the B/C group are standard parts .
Noting that has to be special made.

I have an Eotech on one and a scope on the other. Granted you can see those big holes good enough at 100yds to see where they hit but magnification is really up to you. An Eotech or an Aimpoint either are great choices.
If you hunt with it, the scope would probably give you some help in the early morning, early evening hours when darkness is starting to set in gathering light.

As shown by the various set ups displayed here, it pretty much depends on your personal taste/intended use as to how you outfit yours.

I have yet to see one variation that I did not like.
Though there are some similar here, each one has "something" about it that is different from the others.
Hope to soon add you " ch139" to the list of big bore ar owners.

and I am still jealous of that AA 50 Beowulf lower ....

W50G

Link Posted: 12/12/2004 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
This is next on the list.  Where do I get dies for .50 Beowulf?
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Lee sells them.
4 die set. Most of your reloading supply dealers have or can get them.
Can't remember if you can oreder them off lee's website or not.LEE PRECISION
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Just checked after I posted the link and it gives you a list of online dealers..
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I got mine at Midway USA , they are in stock and one of the best people to deal with !

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteabrowse/2/10201/9315***731***702***8344***
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you post pics?  I wanna post my new wulfhanks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/jimmyrb/BeowulfwithACOGsight.jpg" border=0>
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you post pics?  I wanna post my new wulf

IM sent with posting image instructions.
Welcome to the 'wulf club.
Can't wait to see the pics.
W50G
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How do you post pics?  I wanna post my new wulf Thanks for the Photobucket info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/jimmyrb/BeowulfwithACOGsight.jpg

Looked like you had a few extra HTTp's in there.
Hope you don't mind me putting it up .
When you click on the image and paste your url address make sure it only has http://img.photobucket.com/you pic info should be here.jpg
If you right click the pic below and hit properties you'll see how you image address should look when you paste it in.

Very nice rifle too. Looks like you ditched the front sight base and free floated ?

Link Posted: 12/17/2004 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#14]
did it come like that?

i remember seeing a ff rifle at jim pruetts but remember seeing it with vents in the tube.

Link Posted: 12/17/2004 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I think this will be the final rendition...for now.

Aaron

Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#16]
hey hack thats the longer version socom stock correct? how does it hold up? i wanted to put on my wulf too but dont want the short version on my wulf.

you and wulfguy with your arms sir makes me want to put one on mine!

i love the sir and have it on two other ar's and wanted to leave the wulf plane jane but starting to get the itch again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
That is nice Hack, looks great.
Which Leupy is that on there ? I see a CQ/T in there too.
I love mine, it's sitting on my RRA 20" A3 Hbar.

VTDefender got my interested in the SIR for the 'wulf eklikwhoa,
Must give credit where it's due, he was the originator with SIR'wulf.

They just give them that big bulky kick your *ss look.

Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Works great. With the one inch pad attached, I  actually fired it collapsed with no problem. I wanted the option to extend my length of pull if needed. The buffer looks like an A2 buffer.  I'm hoping to sight the scope in next week. I fired about twenty rounds of AA 400s through it last week with a different scope. I didn't spend much time sighting it in as I had this other one coming, but I couldn't wait to shoot it. 400gr AAs chrono'd in the low 1600 FPS in my rifle. As a comparison, I chono'd  400 gr 500S&Ws through a 8 3/8 inch barrel and it did low 1500s. I've always liked the looks of the SIR
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
The scope on the wulf is a 1.5-5 with illuminated reticle and 30mm tube. I picked it up on the EE. To me, it seems to be an ideal short to medium range scope with plenty of eye relief. I personally like the CQ/T, even though it gets bashed alot. I tried several different optics at Thunder Ranch, before it closed in Texas, and I kept coming back to it. The leupold just worked best for me..others tastes may vary.

Hack
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually just looked to see what the pics ended up looking like posted. The dust around the bottom of that door sure looks bad, my house really does not look like that everywhere else. The room those pics were taken in is the coolest room in my house though. My house was built in 1955 and that room is an honest to goodness bomb shelter that is underground and with at least one foot thick concrete walls. The black door sill is actually a steel door about 3 1/2 feet tall that is the etrance to the room which is accessable from my gun/reloading room inside the house

Hack
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That is nice Hack, looks great.
Which Leupy is that on there ? I see a CQ/T in there too.
I love mine, it's sitting on my RRA 20" A3 Hbar.

VTDefender got my interested in the SIR for the 'wulf eklikwhoa,
Must give credit where it's due, he was the originator with SIR'wulf.

They just give them that big bulky kick your *ss look.

thats right it was him and wulfguy then hack
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Works great. With the one inch pad attached, I  actually fired it collapsed with no problem. I wanted the option to extend my length of pull if needed. The buffer looks like an A2 buffer.  I'm hoping to sight the scope in next week. I fired about twenty rounds of AA 400s through it last week with a different scope. I didn't spend much time sighting it in as I had this other one coming, but I couldn't wait to shoot it. 400gr AAs chrono'd in the low 1600 FPS in my rifle. As a comparison, I chono'd  400 gr 500S&Ws through a 8 3/8 inch barrel and it did low 1500s. I've always liked the looks of the SIR

so did it come with the rifle length buffer or the car? wouldnt wanna fubar anything.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Hack,
I like the whole bomb shelter thing.
If I eve build myself another house and move out of the apartment I hoep to have a basement to do something to that extent.
Have all my guns and ammo and stuff stored down in the basement in a good sized room with one of those safe doors that looks like a normal door installed for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm tagging this spot for my rifle.  I am using a Cavarms SEBR lower, and the AA entry upper.  Hopefully sometime in January I will have her all together.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Cool, look forward to seeing it Cody.
Any hints as to how you're going to outfit it ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm tagging this spot for my rifle.  I am using a Cavarms SEBR lower, and the AA entry upper.  Hopefully sometime in January I will have her all together.

you sure the cavarms lower is stout enough for a wulf upper?
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cool, look forward to seeing it Cody.
Any hints as to how you're going to outfit it ?

I'm thinking an Aimpoint when the checkbook allows.  I will have to go cheap til then.  As to any add-ons, I probably will just leave it plain jane.  I'm more for function than fashion.

you sure the cavarms lower is stout enough for a wulf upper?

Garry Owens at Cav Arms told me that no one has broken one of their lowers with a beowulf yet, and that the first person that does gets a free replacement.  I'm hoping it will take it, but if not, I hope I'm the first to break it.  Otherwise it'll cost me $30 to replace.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#28]
new pics of my wulf with a std. front sight and new bfg soc-c sling

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got ahold of a camera to take some pic's hope they work .

Yea it's a cheap scope and rings , but I wanted to try it out . This is 5rd's at 50yd , speer 325gr JHP , 36.9gr LIL GUN , 2.110 !
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice shootin' there Iceman.

And I like the detachable carry handle and front sight on yours eklikwhoa.

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Thx Wulfguy , I need to get it out to the 100yd range now !
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Nice shootin' there Iceman. big +1 on the shooting! very nice

And I like the detachable carry handle and front sight on yours eklikwhoa. thanks w50g. all my other ar's suffer from ar15.com disease and have about 10lbs. of high speed gear on it so i thought i would go for a plane jane approach for this one

Link Posted: 12/25/2004 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Thx eklikwhoa ,  and I like your carry handle set up too , I also have one as well as a red dot set up . Problem is can't make up my mind on which one to leave on it , I keep changing around , LOL

I'm thinking of doing a Urban Mirageflage camo on it anyone else try one of those Duracoat peel & spray kits ?
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#34]
i want to know about the duracoat too. i have contacted some guys about getting it professionally done but its kinda steep so i think im gonna order the kit and try it myself.

i too am planning on doing the urban mirageflage. but on one of my other rifles. if you find anything iceman give me a heads up.

Link Posted: 12/25/2004 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys,
YOU can do the duracoat!! It's not too hard at all!
I did the duracoat on an L1a1 of mine and posted up the results here.
Did okay for my first.
You have to be really careful mixing the paint and what you mix it in.
It will eat right through anything like a foam cup. (yes found out the hard way.)
If I can find the link to the post I will put it here.
The templates made it EASY!! spray your base coat, let it thouroghly dry, put on the next templates, spray, dry repeat until finshed.
The main thing is letting each coat cure completely before putting on the templates or it'll pull off the bottom color when you do.

A little pricey but looks and works good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#36]
now i see how the templates work now! i think im going to order the kit now.

hey w50g did you use and airbrush? what setup did you use? thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Eklikwhoa, Where did you get the carry handle and std. frontsite?  I'd like to get a set for my new baby, but haven't been able to find them. At least not both at one place.  Eventually I'll put an optic on it, but I'm a big fan of iron sites.(old habits are hard to break, ya know).

Thanks in Advance.

Cody
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Hey codycoyote ,I picked mine up at J&T , look in there new online cat.  

www.jtdistributing.com/Cat04.pdf !
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
now i see how the templates work now! i think im going to order the kit now.

hey w50g did you use and airbrush? what setup did you use? thanks

Yeah, I ordered the whole kit from Lauer weaponry.
HERE is their website.

The kit I used had the camo colors, and peel and stick patterns.
The airbrush I used was one of the ones that ran off of cans of propellant.
If I do it again I'll probab;y get a better airbrush (air operated).
But it did quite well.
I've got a link in the team forum that you can see the L1A1 I did.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]
here's the photo  for everyone who can't get in the team forum...
It's the one on the far right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow that came out real nice WG !
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Eklikwhoa, Where did you get the carry handle and std. frontsite?  I'd like to get a set for my new baby, but haven't been able to find them. At least not both at one place.  Eventually I'll put an optic on it, but I'm a big fan of iron sites.(old habits are hard to break, ya know).

Thanks in Advance.

Cody

i got mine here adco they are cheap and fast. real good people. the carr handle i had from a previous bushie but they have the rra there too.

Link Posted: 12/26/2004 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#43]
thanks for the info w50g

will post pics if i take the plunge
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in Advance.

Cody

i got mine here adco they are cheap and fast. real good people. the carr handle i had from a previous bushie but they have the rra there too.

Thank You sir,

Just ordered the pair.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Hello

I was holding off posting my pic, I was trying to get it done brfore hand but it is taking to long due to backordered parts as usual!

I am going to add a flash supressor, scope and some rail protectors I also need the foam cover for the buttstock. Anyone out there happen to have anything except rail protectors?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/rookieshooter/233232.jpg
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Hello

I was holding off posting my pic, I was trying to get it done brfore hand but it is taking to long due to backordered parts as usual!

I am going to add a flash supressor, scope and some rail protectors I also need the foam cover for the buttstock. Anyone out there happen to have anything except rail protectors?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/rookieshooter/233232.jpg

The rifle looks good...
What exactly are you looking for ?
They have they wide covers like the magpul's and the tango downs and there's also ladder panels ( that's what I call them) to protect the rails.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hello

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/rookieshooter/233232.jpg

hey why is the scope mount backwards? or is it? i have noticed that on a lot of other pics too that the ext part is to the rear. i thought you would want it more forward for eye relief and such.

anyways welcome to the boards and nice looking wulf you got
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#48]
new pic of my wulf with the brake installed

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Nice!
Gives it a whole different look doesn't it ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Nice!
Gives it a whole different look doesn't it ?

sure does!! now to see if it was worth it
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top