Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2015 3:26:10 PM EDT

Does anyone have this barrel and does it shoot the sub MOA and with what ammunition?
Does anyone have pictures of groups they have shot with it?
Any other suggestions on a barrel really close to these specifications?
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-barrel-14-6[
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
And to provide more information
I am looking for a 14.5" barrel with a mid length gas system 5.56 chamber or Wylde Chamber 1:8 ratio stainless steel not lined either powder blasted or exterior finished M4 feed ramps .750 gas block set
1/2 x 28 thread pitch that will  shoot sub moa with factory match ammo.

The barrel will be going to complete a Noveske matching set. SSA trigger with a Steiner 1-4 optic BE Meyers flash hider or possibly Surefire QD attach Flash hider on the end.  This will be a full time duty rifle for work.

Interested in quality barrel that meets these specs.
Wish I was not unavailable for the Larue barrel sale and this past weekends Rainier Ultra Match Barrel sale but as you can tell from the post count not available to be on the web all the time due to schedule and web availability.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a rainier select series in 16". Below is a picture of a group at 100 yards with federal xm855. Rifle has a 1-4 power scope and I was shooting it out of a lead sled. I've shot better with match ammo. It seems to really like 69 gr nosler match ammo. I don't load my own

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply and picture. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Policy allows 'builds' for full-time duty weapon?  I'm just curious (build vs buying) since good rifles are offered in every flavor especially patrol rifle.

I have two 16" Noveske barrels.  One rifle & a CHF barrel.  I'd never pass up a Noveske.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
How do your Noveske barrels shoot?  Do you have pictures of groups and with what ammo at 100 yards. Do you think they are worth the cost compared to other options like the barrel I'm looking at with a sub moa guarantee?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got the 14.5 select but in 300blk. It shoots lights out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes have a rainier 14.5 Ultra match in a rifle currently and it shoots great!  Thanks for the feedback appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do your Noveske barrels shoot?  Do you have pictures of groups and with what ammo at 100 yards. Do you think they are worth the cost compared to other options like the barrel I'm looking at with a sub moa guarantee?
View Quote

They shoot the lights out at 200 yards with Black Hills 68-69 gr & Federal 69 gr GM.  They shoot 55 gr stuff all day long.  I bench rifles for initial sight-in & confirming if a 3G match reaches out there.  I've never taken pictures.

I think they are worth the price.  I bought my CHF in '05 & my rifle in '08.  I train with one & complete with the rifle.  I'm in Oregon, I might be a little bias but there's no denying these barrels shoot.

I'm just curious, why the need to build a sub moa 14.5" patrol rifle?  What's the Mission (Goal) for this rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They shoot the lights out at 200 yards with Black Hills 68-69 gr & Federal 69 gr GM.  They shoot 55 gr stuff all day long.  I bench rifles for initial sight-in & confirming if a 3G match reaches out there.  I've never taken pictures.

I think they are worth the price.  I bought my CHF in '05 & my rifle in '08.  I train with one & complete with the rifle.  I'm in Oregon, I might be a little bias but there's no denying these barrels shoot.

I'm just curious, why the need to build a sub moa 14.5" patrol rifle?  What's the Mission (Goal) for this rifle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your feed back on your Noveske Barrels I appreciate it. Interesting to see they are 05 and 08 barrels as my '13 and '14 Noveske 13.7" medium contour stainless barrels were not where I needed them to be with my required ammunition, so not really willing to try a third at this point.  Very pleased with my Rainier 14.5 ultra match and Larue as the rounds I am required to shoot seem to prefer the 1:8 ratio. This gives a good explanation as to why my Noveske barrels at 1:7 were not where I expected them to be.  Both were well crafted barrels and shooting required ammunition around 2 MOA which is fine for a patrol rifle and hitting plates in three gun, but doesn't get me where I need to be on the FBI DMR course for qualifying or score.  Prefer the 14.5" barrel or shorter for length especially since I am in a very urban area and do a lot of work in vehicles and tight spaces.   This is why I tried the 13.7 Noveske barrels.  I also like the balance and weight savings of the shorter barrel over the 16".    Added length of a surefire can makes the 16" barrel gun manageable but long for inside the vehicle.  
I am a certified AR armorer and assembling quality parts on a weapon system is not a difficult process given the proper training and tools.  It is more cost effective and I can assemble the weapon the way I want from the get go.  I am required to meet certain specifications on weapon systems for components and manufacturers.
Completely agree there are plenty of great factory patrol rifle options available but not sure if you can do it, why you wouldn't want a sub moa patrol rifle. The benefits to consistent accurate shot placement seem obvious over a not as accurate patrol rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Agreed.  The 14.5" is the best choice for patrol.  In '05 my dept. revamped Special Units with Colts.  We allow officers to purchase rifles from an approved list, or they may submit a rifle for approval.  Our policy allows the Range Master to approve equipment not listed.  We have a few Colt "6920" with after market parts & optics.

Good luck with your build.  Let us see the final product.

fazer
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Be aware that 14.5 mid lengths are known to be ammo picky. I have a Ballistics Advantage hanson 14.5 middy that is still very prone to short cycling wolf and tula even after I have the gas port opened up a bit. If I did 14.5 again I would go carbine length just to avoid any potential headaches. Recoil differanceis minimal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Be aware that 14.5 mid lengths are known to be ammo picky. I have a Ballistics Advantage hanson 14.5 middy that is still very prone to short cycling wolf and tula even after I have the gas port opened up a bit. If I did 14.5 again I would go carbine length just to avoid any potential headaches. Recoil differanceis minimal.
View Quote

Agreed I am used to tuning the mid length gas systems having been through two 13.7 Noveske barrels.  My Rainier Ultra Match mid-length has been flawless with everything I can put in it.  Still cant believe I missed the weekend sale on that barrel as i would have doubled down on it any day.  Need to know this rifle can run so I am heading in the direction of Lothar Walther 14.5 with the carbine length gas system.  Great barrels at an incredible price!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top