Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 4:31:27 PM EDT
I'm building out a precision rifle and would like your opinions on stocks to look at for a sniper/precision rifle application.

Thanks for your opinions.

My apologies if this is not in the correct area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use the Magpul PRS, don't own one but that would seem to be the logical choice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Rephrase the thread topic to "popular precision stocks" because "best" isn't going to get you anywhere. What's best for someone else may not work best for you. From someone on the outside looking in, I can say a popular stock I've seen is the Magpul PRS stock--Adjustable cheek weld, buttstock and (I believe) accepts a monopod system. So I would say something that is fully adjustable to conform to your shooting style would be a good option for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
REally....need some advice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rephrase the thread topic to "popular precision stocks" because "best" isn't going to get you anywhere. What's best for someone else may not work best for you. From someone on the outside looking in, I can say a popular stock I've seen is the Magpul PRS stock--Adjustable cheek weld, buttstock and (I believe) accepts a monopod system. So I would say something that is fully adjustable to conform to your shooting style would be a good option for you.
View Quote

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
So...the Magpul PRS is in stock..nowhere.
Figures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
PRS is a heavy pig. Replaced mine with a magpul acs-l and have been much happier.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm building out a precision rifle and would like your opinions on stocks to look at for a sniper/precision rifle application.

View Quote
Depending on what you are looking for I would say that SOPMOD has one of the best cheek welds if you are looking to spend some time behind an optic, plus you can customize your recoil spring and buffer a little better with a collapsible stock.
ACE stock is nice and light and still comes in a rifle length buffer. However, it is lacking in sling attachment options.

UBR is cool looking but heavy as hell. If you want to lug around a really heavy rifle go for it.

PRS has lots of adjustment, but it is heavy, and you are really not going to be using those adjustments much. I think out of two PRS stocks that I had, I did not even need to use my cheek riser or the LOP adjustment.

Other Magpul stocks are nice and reasonably priced. They do rattle a little, and the cheek weld is not as comfy as SOPMOD.

Just some of my uneducated $0.02
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul UBR is very sturdy and has a good cheek weld  but it's on the heavy side. Larue has a riser that fits a magpul ctr or moe stock that also has a good cheek weld as far as ar stocks go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as the UBR being heavy. It is very heavy compared to other stocks but I don't notice it. It balances my rifle and the weight doesn't bother me. I have carried that rifle all day on a hog hunt and not noticed the weight at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, what are you using the rifle for? Is it going to be exclusively a bench gun? Are you going to hunt/take classes with it? I would absolutely recommend against the PRS if this is a rifle you intend to carry around.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
LUTH-AR has a stock similar to the PRS, but weighs less
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A2 is what I like and use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for wondering WTF is wrong the PRS.

Anytime I have to pick up a rifle with a PRS stuck on it makes me shutter.  It would be nothing less then a punishment to run that stock.  Lugging around a heavy rifle wipes away any sort of perceived benefit a product can offer.  

Adjustable cheek welds and butt pads hold no benefit next to a 2lbs stock IMO.  Plain and simple, it is not practical.

The AR industry is so driven by marketing and advertising its almost funny at how easy it is for a manufacturers to get  the end user to slap on a of piece of useless junk to their rifle.  

Almost as easy it was for uncle sam to tell the american people they cast the body of osama binladen off to sea, to show a sign of respect to their culture.  lol.  Right.

More power to'em, its like selling cheese to a mouse I suppose.

Special ops bros.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You can also use a SOPMOD Stock with a Battleline Industries S.A.P.R. and S.A.M. attached.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
what are you going to shoot with it and how? almost nothing beats the A2 for shooting off sand bags other than possibly some stocks with aftermarket bag ridder inserts which I seem to recall seeing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The Magpul Precision Rifle Stock aka PRS is a wonderful stock for . . . wait for it . . . a precision rifle. Its weight balances the heavy barrels often found on precision rifles. I wonder if those who doubt the utility of this stock do all that much precision shooting. Standard ARs don't have good ergonomics for bench and prone shooting. A cheek weld level with the receiver top is too low for using scopes with proper form from these positions for many people. The PRS fixes this. Light weight is not the solution to every AR problem. This stock is excellent for precision shooting, which is what the OP asked about. It would not be a good choice for three gun or hog hunting in the brush.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The best stock is the one you are most comfortable with.
I predominately use A2 and ACS stocks.
I have a PRS on a varmint rifle that has a scope mounted a little higher than usual.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]

i'm really happy with my LMT DMR stock. it doesn't feel heavy at all, the cheekweld is great. it's adjustable in any way you can imagine, and it locks up very solid.

the only problem is price.... weapon outfitters had the best price if you're interested though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i60.tinypic.com/ka02nk.jpg

i'm really happy with my LMT DMR stock. it doesn't feel heavy at all, the cheekweld is great. it's adjustable in any way you can imagine, and it locks up very solid.

the only problem is price.... weapon outfitters had the best price if you're interested though.
View Quote

Featurewise that's where LMT's DMR differ's from Magpul's PRS. The riser uses the SOPMOD profile; so those who like the SOPMOD's cheekweld, and want features found on the PRS, the DMR is an option.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget to take your preferred shooting position into account.  If you prefer to shoot NTCH then all of the adjustable stocks will have cheek pads to far to the rear to use.  If that is your preference I would look at the Fixed VLTOR stock and the ARFX stocks.

If I was going to try another adjustable stock right now I would probably try the LMT, because I prefer a sloped cheeckweld design.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Anytime I have to pick up a rifle with a PRS stuck on it makes me shutter.  It would be nothing less then a punishment to run that stock.  Lugging around a heavy rifle wipes away any sort of perceived benefit a product can offer.  

Adjustable cheek welds and butt pads hold no benefit next to a 2lbs stock IMO.  Plain and simple, it is not practical.

The AR industry is so driven by marketing and advertising its almost funny at how easy it is for a manufacturers to get  the end user to slap on a of piece of useless junk to their rifle.  

Almost as easy it was for uncle sam to tell the american people they cast the body of osama binladen off to sea, to show a sign of respect to their culture.  lol.  Right.

Special ops bros.
View Quote

You do realize people will buy these for bench rifles or range only guns? Where do you think people are lugging around these rifles?Surely you realize you're not the first person to realize the weight makes it less than ideal to carry.... a lot of us have carried much heavier.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
PRS is about as good as it gets but it is very heavy.  You could go with a MOE Rifle Stock to get something fixed and very light.  I love mine.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

A2 because you don't want a stock that wiggles around , but then there's always duck tape . YMMV
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
REally....need some advice.
View Quote

PRS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
PRS is about as good as it gets but it is very heavy.  You could go with a MOE Rifle Stock to get something fixed and very light.  I love mine.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y396/GreenGoose/Noveske%2018_zpss1hhbdiq.jpg
View Quote

This ^^^

The Magpul MOE Rifle Stock really surprised me.

My 3-Gun Heavy Metal Rifle came with one and I was going to change it out immediately for another ACE Skeleton Stock, but decided to stay with the MOE and it's "money" for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can also use a SOPMOD Stock with a Battleline Industries S.A.P.R. and S.A.M. attached.

https://battlelineindustries.com/bli-new/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/JCL_1041.jpg?itok=clooj7Pe
View Quote

Now that's interesting.

$200, on top of an $80-100 stock.

It's a heavy bastard too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You pick your equipment based on what you plan to do.  Some of us have carried beltfeds, different weight, different purpose, different game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Special ops bros.

You do realize people will buy these for bench rifles or range only guns? Where do you think people are lugging around these rifles?Surely you realize you're not the first person to realize the weight makes it less than ideal to carry.... a lot of us have carried much heavier.

You pick your equipment based on what you plan to do.  Some of us have carried beltfeds, different weight, different purpose, different game.

For what some people's ARs weigh I would expect them to feed from a belt.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#30]

just curious if you've had a chance to try a DMR, wouldn't be surprised since you have pictures of all sorts of good stuff. and if you have tried it, what would lead you to take a PRS over a DMR.  i wouldn't be surprised if the PRS is a tiny bit more solid, but the DMR was more than solid enough, and being able to use it on a carbine extension was ultimately the feature that tipped the scale for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
PRS is a heavy pig. Replaced mine with a magpul acs-l and have been much happier.
View Quote

I did the same thing. ACS-L all the way
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the comments and advice. After doing more research, I went with the LMT so I could avoid having to mess with my Carbine length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I really like the PRS on my 18" gun. Great adjustments and help with balance make  it the right choice. I wish it was an inch shorter, but I can deal with that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]
The AR PR I'm assembling has a 20" barrel on a receiver with a 15" KRM, a BCM upper and a BCM lower. I'm swapping out the butt stock, pistol grip, adding heavy bipod and am using a great Leupold scope on it. Pretty fired up about it. I'm also using a Geissele adjustable two stage trigger in.

I previously owned a pretty expensive .308 precision rifle with an AI stock set, and a great custom trigger. Had to sell it a few years ago for some financial reasons and decided to get back into PR with a less expensive platform and ammo, since most of the ranges I shoot at don't let me reach much more than 500 yards anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for the comments and advice. After doing more research, I went with the PRS.

It has what I need for a great fit for a precision rifle: adjustable cheek weld and shoulder pad placement.

I have a hunch some people giving advice on this thread really don't understand the requirements of good rifle fit when doing precision rifle shooting, the vast majority of it from a well established prone position. Good rifle fit to your body is critical to good, consistent shot placement.
View Quote

just curious, did you give the LMT DMR any consideration?  i had originally planned on a PRS, but wound up with the DMR instead, being able to swap it on to any carbine lower at a moments notice is a really nice feature to have, but it has all the adjust-ability of the PRS.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow..you just saved me a major hassle.

LMT it is!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y396/GreenGoose/Noveske%2018_zpss1hhbdiq.jpg
View Quote

I have this stock in my PA10. In FDE <70.00. Lightweight. Comfortable. Does me great! Very pleased with it and it didn't break the bank. Cheek weld is really good in my opinion.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Call me a traditionalist....but the A2 is about as good as it gets if you use the correct scope mount. A member on here has told me that the shorter A1 stock is the bees knees, though. I haven't tried one out to give my .02 cents worth, though.

Here's my "precision" rig. It's good for better than minute of man at ranges up and including 500 yards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top