[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on that pic of your Faxon rifle.

MRW: Thanks for the link. What kind of rings would be a good choice w/out breaking the bank? Warne rings? (I had some Warne rings back in the day that I never used, as I ended up buying a LaRue SPR-E mount, and ended up selling the rings! Doh! )
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking forward to seeing some 10 shot groups with your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking forward to seeing your results! And thanks for taking the time. I hope to go back to the range this Saturday.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I am also interested in building a LW 14.5 upper.  Some of the barrel I am considering are in your test.  Anyone tried some of the SS lightweight barrels on the market, I am interested about the Odin in particular because its priced competitively at $270 w/ gas block.  I am also curious to hear how the V7 and BAD barrels stack up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
V7 barrels are very nice.....Joel (formerly @ Noveske) has paid a lot of attention to these.

For a 14.5" barrel I would be looking at BCM BFH ELW or Noveske N4 "Skinny" barrels keeping it light wt and reasonably accurate....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I will try to get some 10 shot groups with various ammo with my 2A arms/ V7 weapons systems 14.5 lw stainless barrel. I just took it out for a 50 yard zero for my t1 and was very impressed! All i brought was 55 gr wolf gold and it shot a loose single hol 3 rd group. Or my ammo and optic choice and the rest being just a block of wood. I am curious how the group's will hold when it heats up. The build is 5.4# with a T1 and inforce wml. I am running a fill weight bcm bcg and 13" kmr rail. Future plans ate to get a 2A lw adjustable bcg and a v7 titanium barrel nut for the kmr.

After reading the first post and the reason behind a 10 shot group. I will repost when i get some more range time with my build. There is only one reveiw i have seen so far on the v7 barrel so i hope i can add a little if anyone else is looking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Any of you guys have a difficult time shooting a lightweight as compared to a heavier barrel?

I'm a fair hand with a basic m4, even better with my heavier stainless AR,  but I picked up a BCM ELW-F 16" yesterday and I can't shoot it well.   POA=POI, and it's consistent out to the 200 yards I shot it to, but seriously 8-9moa was all I could get out of it.  

I'm pretty sure it's me.

* Update.

This barrel really, REALLY hates PMC X-Tac M855.  With a hot fiery passion.

I took that upper on the range today and shot some ADI 69gr SMK with a NXS 1-4 and was able to keep it at 1.9 moa for a few ten round groups at 100 and 200 yards.  Went back to the X-Tac with the same optic...  8 1/2-10" groups at 100.

shot some of the X-Tac through a 16 SS410 barrel with same optic, lower, everything, and it did about 3 1/2-4".  Craziness....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lightweight barrels are a common topic here.  Lots of requests for recommendations, lots of advice against them because of decreased accuracy, and lots of rumors about the subject.

I went out and tested several of my lightweight rifles for accuracy, and I ask that others do the same and post their results.  For this discussion, lightweight refers to a barrel that is thinner than a government profile or an M4 barrel, particularly in front of the gas block.  I would think 0.625 and 0.750 gas blocks would be fine, as would "pencil" profiles and hybrid styles, and any barrel length.

For my evaluation, I will use 10 shot groups from a bench, using a SS 10X mildot scope in an ADM mount as shown below. The lower used for each upper has a fixed stock and an ACT trigger. Ammunition is commercially available Black Hills 52gr HPBT and Federal Gold Medal Match 69 gr.  Shots were fired at about a twenty second interval.  Each barrel got considerably warm.

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/LW%20barrel%20test/P1030556_zps21ba5870.jpg

Why ten shots and not three or five?  Please read this:  click

Groups will be evaluated using the On Target software available for free online and both Extreme Spread (CTC, center to center) and Mean Radius (ATC, average to center) will be provided.  For some reading on these ideas go here: click

The most important measure of the center is the mean radius.  It tells how all of the shots in the group compare to each other.  Extreme spread only gives the distance between the two farthest shots; it does not tell anything about the other shots in the group.  For example, a mean radius of 1" means that half of the shots fell within a circle with a 2" diameter.  Ammunition and a rifle that produces a mean radius of a little under 0.3" is considered match quality.

1. First rifle is built up using a factory assembled BCM BHF hammer forged 16 inch 1/7 5.56 midlength pencil chrome lined barrel.  I have previously tested this barrel as can be seen here: click

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/BCM16LWwACOG15_zps2cf32a71.jpg
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/LW%20barrel%20test/2715LWtestBCM1652grand69gr_zpsadfbadc0.jpg

The first six rounds of the GMM went into that little cluster with one thrown right.  Then the range officer called "one minute" and I lost it in rushing the last four.

Note that the top group has a SMALLER extreme spread (labeled MAX, the straight line distance shown) than the bottom group, but a LARGER mean radius (labeled ATC, shown as the circle). Think about what that means.

2. the second rifle is a home assembled RRA 16 inch midlength 1/9 5.56 barrel with chrome lining and a 1/9 twist.  This barrel is a bit thicker than a pencil barrel, measuring about 0.65 in front and behind the 0.75 gasblock.  I have previously tested this barrel here: click

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/RRAMidFix_zps192dd0a6.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/LW%20barrel%20test/2715LWtestRRA1652grand69gr_zpsc12c5819.jpg

First group went really well.  But the GMM was a fight.  I couldn't seem to get the rifle settled and was dealing with some glare off the front sight ears.  It is what it is.  

3. The third rifle is a home assembled Daniel Defense 14.5 inch midlength 1/7 5.56 barrel with chrome lining and a pinned C2 Phantom flash hider.

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/P1030572_zps128d1e6f.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af236/onehalfmvsquared/hobby/LW%20barrel%20test/2715LWtestDD14552grand69gr_zpse83caebc.jpg

On the top group, I forgot that I had a FMJ hand-charged round first out of the mag and I put it on the target instead of the dirt.  It was not included in the group.

I was surprised at how low the 69 grain shot compared to the 52 grain.  On the two 16" rifles, the heavier load was about an inch and a half low.  The 14.5" barrel shot them 3 inches low, almost off the paper.  I did not expect to lose that much velocity with 1.5" of barrel.

Conclusions:  All rifles have standard hand guards, are not free floated, and all rifles shot well within my personal defensive standard for accuracy:  A Mean Radius of 0.8" or less and an Extreme Spread of 2.5" or less.  This standard implies that at 500 yards, half of the shots will fall within a 8-inch diameter circle, with none exceeding 13 inches.  The width of my torso is 13" and I've got a medium athletic build.  

I cannot imagine a scenario short of TEOTWAWKI that would require me to make a rifle shot at a distance greater than 100 yards.

A lightweight barrel of good quality with standard hand guards is just fine for a defensive long gun.

and as a homage, here's Molon's test of a Colt LW barrel click

View Quote

Hehehe...I had to scroll back up to see who the heck the OP was..lol...thought it was Molon.

Perfect presentation..simple, yet with just the right amount of details..awesome..thanks for your time bro.

I'll be lookin for your posts from here on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top