Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 7:41:59 PM EDT
How do you like them?  Any fit issue with key mod accessories?  I have seen posted a few times that the finish is very fragile. Any gasblock fitting issues?

Whatever you have to say about them, I would like to hear it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No issues with Keymod accessories.

http://www.ocabj.net/16-mid-length-ar-15-keymod-build-report/

As far as fragile finish, it doesn't appear to be any more or less fragile than any other handguard. I haven't lost finish on points where the Keymod accessories were mounted and removed repeatedly. I've nicked a few points on the handguard because I bang it around when I use it, but it's just like any other handguard I have as far as finish is concerned.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine but even after heating it it was a bitch  to get on.  I have a YHM clamp LPGB and it fits but is super tight and I can't fit rail covers because it is that tight. ( damn thing gets uber hot under sustained fire )
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was chipped to all hell when i unwrapped it from the plastic. Chipped again after i dropped it on a wooden floor. But what do i know, BCM likes to use fancy words like "aerospace coatings". Which actually means jack shit these days.

-I ended up blasting and cerakoting it. Have fucked with it here and there, hasnt chipped yet. Ill put money cerakote is better than BCM's bullshit "Oh my god so kewl plasma coating!"
-It is very light, and seems sturdy, though i have yet to run it over with an SUV. I guess im not commando enough for that.
-Fits. Works.
-HATE BCM's keymod panels, i prefer Noveske
-Very slim, like you have no idea. It is retarded slim (a plus for me)
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine was chipped to all hell when i unwrapped it from the plastic. Chipped again after i dropped it on a wooden floor. But what do i know, BCM likes to use fancy words like "aerospace coatings". Which actually means jack shit these days.

-I ended up blasting and cerakoting it. Have fucked with it here and there, hasnt chipped yet. Ill put money cerakote is better than BCM's bullshit "Oh my god so kewl plasma coating!"
-It is very light, and seems sturdy, though i have yet to run it over with an SUV. I guess im not commando enough for that.
-Fits. Works.
View Quote

Was the material chipped or just the finish? What do you not like about BCM's panels?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Was the material chipped or just the finish? What do you not like about BCM's panels?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Fits. Works.

The finish itself was chipped. Its not made out of wood, the material itself isn't going to chip.

The panels comment is entirely personal opinion. Why i dislike BCM panels vs Noveske: Theyre rounded off instead of having a more corner like grip if that makes sense. Also, dont have handstops.

Example of noveske panels:

Example of BCM panels:

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like mine but even after heating it it was a bitch  to get on.  I have a YHM clamp LPGB and it fits but is super tight and I can't fit rail covers because it is that tight. ( damn thing gets uber hot under sustained fire )
View Quote

I used fingertips to coat a thin film of motor oil around the barrel nut surface that contacts the handguard and heated the barrel nut end of the handguard a slightly. Then I just used a little but of mallet action with a nylon hammer to get it on. Definitely tight (a lot tighter that my Geissele SMR MK3), but not difficult.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as rail covers, I don't use them. I just wear gloves.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Finish does chip easily.  But it's still the best handguard on the market.  Love it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/mcfero1/IMG_5478.jpg

i rattle canned mine, so i don't really know the regular coating strength. but spray paint holds up pretty well, then repaint as needed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the Noveske rail panels and had no trouble getting them on or off. Love the KMR, lightweight, very ergonomic, and a pleasure to shoot. I find the extra keymod holes even with the rail covers sets up for good airflow around the barrel. YMMV

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The finish itself was chipped. Its not made out of wood, the material itself isn't going to chip.

The panels comment is entirely personal opinion. Why i dislike BCM panels vs Noveske: Theyre rounded off instead of having a more corner like grip if that makes sense. Also, dont have handstops.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/688878d12fbef0d722ac464f1246d1ff/tumblr_mw0o9rvbrw1qjtttio1_1280.jpg

Example of BCM panels:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/EAG_TACTICAL/Des%20Mines%20COC%20Sept13/DSC_9948_zpse24ac445.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Fits. Works.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/688878d12fbef0d722ac464f1246d1ff/tumblr_mw0o9rvbrw1qjtttio1_1280.jpg

Example of BCM panels:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/EAG_TACTICAL/Des%20Mines%20COC%20Sept13/DSC_9948_zpse24ac445.jpg
Have you used the BCM covers?

I believe they are not even out yet, and the ones in that picture are getting re worked.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#13]
So there is a known issue with the finishing on the KMR and there isn't anything being done about it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So there is a known issue with the finishing on the KMR and there isn't anything being done about it?
View Quote

Not that I know of.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I would pick up a 15" if they ever come back in stock. The finish issue is not a concern for me, I'll just rattle can it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
It's the best handguard i've ever used regardless of price.  There may be something better but i haven't used it if there is, and i've used many high end handguards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 10" KMR on my 11.5" BCM BFH pistol. I can't comment on the finish as it's cerakoted burnt bronze, but I will say I love the rail. Very light weight and a good feel to it!

I will admit, when I first got it, I was afraid I was going to break the damn thing. It really felt like a cheap plastic toy. It's that light!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it has something to do with it being made out of magnesium alloy?  Obviously BCM knows how to anodize and parkerize aluminum and steel as well as anyone else, but maybe magnesium alloy doesn't finish as easily?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
By no means am i bashing the product as i own it and really like the barrel to rail system.  Damn strong, locks up like a catholic school girl in confession.  But, yes, the coating is easily chipped.

When putting my rail on, i used a wooden hammer with some light tapping, maybe medium tapping.  The finish chipped off.  

For me, it is not an issue as i am not framing it and putting it on my wall as art.  Some Casey Super Black Flat Black paint pen and it shoots as good as when it was chipped.

sam
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You cannot beat the light wt and lock up of the KMR.

The final top finish....well yeah...certainly less than desirable but given the other features for my money it's the best out there.

Personally I am selling all my other handguards and going with KMRs on all my AR's...I like them that much.

Wait till somebody comes out with a Titanium barrel nut for this thing.....and Ti hardware to go with it....the glitchy final finish
will be a non issue...it seems to cerakote well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I need a 15" Kmr.  Stat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The final top finish....well yeah...certainly less than desirable but given the other features for my money it's the best out there.

Personally I am selling all my other handguards and going with KMRs on all my AR's...I like them that much.

Wait till somebody comes out with a Titanium barrel nut for this thing.....and Ti hardware to go with it....the glitchy final finish

View Quote
Selling all hand guards for KMR.

Thats saying a lot coming from you since you have owned so many great rails.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

By no means am i bashing the product as i own it and really like the barrel to rail system.  Damn strong, locks up like a catholic school girl in confession.  But, yes, the coating is easily chipped.

When putting my rail on, i used a wooden hammer with some light tapping, maybe medium tapping.  The finish chipped off.  

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rEh_2ONGaR4/U1ahXbdSQLI/AAAAAAAACGc/vRV4MrL2r6M/s512/20140422_130259.jpg

For me, it is not an issue as i am not framing it and putting it on my wall as art.  Some Casey Super Black Flat Black paint pen and it shoots as good as when it was chipped.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JL-G9iRsrQo/U7w7Tukp0YI/AAAAAAAACRo/XdROjKb-Veg/s720/BCMNOVBUSHY.jpg

sam
View Quote
This is a little off topic, but why use the heavy pig with such a nice light weight rail?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I luv 'em
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Even more out there, why use the pig on such a long barrel?

Its purely for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What kind of stock is that?
View All Quotes

Magpul UBR

Joe
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My BCM 14.5" upper came in Friday. It makes me giddy when I look at it. The KMR is insane light and much more sturdy than I thought it would be. Would recommend
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Kmr is the bees knees. Beyond lightweight and locks up no less solid than my dd lite rail it replaced. Yes the finish is susceptible to chipping but the real protective finish is ultra gnarley durable and either clear or silver ( I forget). The black finish is purely aesthetic and even is you chipped it all off the rail would still be completely protected. I do think they should and will come up with a more durable finish but it's no where near enough of a negative to deter me from what I think is the single best handguard on the market. If only  v7 could come up with black finished Ti  hardware and barrel nuts for the kmr then it would be unstoppable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Got 2 10" KMRs on my 11.5" and 16" guns. They are the best rail in the market right now. They don't need rail covers but will get the BCM ones when they become available to protect the paint. Black markers can hide the scratches by the way.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I love mine! Have the 13.5" on my 16". Haven't had any scratches and I've been a little careless with it but not abusive. A little oil made it slide right on, I'm running a Syrac adjustable block under it with no trouble. Seems very solid and it is crazy light!

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely love mine. I've heard several accounts of people having issues with the durability of the finish, but according to BCM, it doesn't affect the integrity, performance, durability, etc. of the KMR. No problems with fitment with KeyMod accessories (I have a BCM vertical grip and HSP Offset mounted). Very rigid and lightweight system.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got my BCM upper with the KMR. I really like how light this thing is.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#35]
My KMR rolled off the bench while I was working on taking off the old barrel nut, it received two paint chips, and then it got chipped again when I had to remove the rail to work on the gas block.  The finish is the only thing that does not impress me about this rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top