Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
I'm in the process of returning this 7.62mm alignment rod as it has a very slight bend due to the way it was packed.  I sent them an email urging them to change their way of packaging these alignment rods to how they did it before (in an actual box, not a padded oversized envelope).  I have a 5.56mm rod that came in the correct box and it has worked wonderfully the past 6 months.  Honestly, I would have expected a little better from Geissele since they always talk about precision.  This is a precision instrument and it should be treated as such.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for posting something negative about Geissele here.  Thought I would just share and see what you all think if I am overreacting or not.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how much the Geissele rods cost, but they should definitely pack them better than that, regardless of price. I buy rod in whatever caliber I need by the foot from Amazon and cut it to length, and they always ship it in sturdy cardboard tubes....$6 shipped.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure how much the Geissele rods cost, but they should definitely pack them better than that, regardless of price. I buy rod in whatever caliber I need by the foot from Amazon and cut it to length, and they always ship it in sturdy cardboard tubes....$6 shipped.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2m6k16r.jpg
View Quote
Links to the rods you have been using?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Links to the rods you have been using?
View Quote
The prices have increased by a few dollars since I bought mine, because they are all 36" sections now instead of buying by the foot. But these are absolutely straight and smooth. Just cut them to length and clean up the ends.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZDP9EW?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow what a deal.  I think my 7.62 rod from Geissele was around $75. That pisses me off lol.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of alignment rods from another source - advertised as alignment rods - that also arrived in a padded envelope.   Both were bananas by the time they got here.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nooooooo.. I just bought both sizes at primary arms during their latest sale. I hope someone there has the forethought to package them at the very least in a box. Side note... Primary Arms lists them as discontinued, did Geissele say anything about that when you talked to them?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nooooooo.. I just bought both sizes at primary arms during their latest sale. I hope someone there has the forethought to package them at the very least in a box. Side note... Primary Arms lists them as discontinued, did Geissele say anything about that when you talked to them?
View Quote
They come in a box from Primary Arms.. however.. keep in mind that the box they use is an oversized boxed with limited space fillers in it.  I think you'll be fine.  Better off than me, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The prices have increased by a few dollars since I bought mine, because they are all 36" sections now instead of buying by the foot. But these are absolutely straight and smooth. Just cut them to length and clean up the ends.

View Quote
Which one did you buy on Amazon?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Phildo,

My apologies. Your order should not have shipped out like. Our Alignment Gages are shipped out in a box to prevent any issues during transit. I will get this squared away and get you whole. Email in bound.

-Charlie
View Quote
Thank you Charlie I appreciate that.  I also have received an email earlier this morning from Chris. You guys have gone above and beyond for customer service.   One of the many reasons to keep spending my paycheck on your gear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which one did you buy on Amazon?
View Quote
I purchased the .21875 rod to use for 5.56 suppressors since the land-to-land measurement of a .223 barrel bore is .219. Of course there is a slight possibility that the .002 tolerance of the rod you receive is on the high end, which would result in it being just a hair too large. So far, I have not encountered this issue, but it is possible. For all .30 cal bores (7.62, .308 etc,.), I ordered the 0.296875 rod. I have ordered several times to make alignment rods for friends and family, but have not received any rods that approached the upper end of tolerance. I just cut to length, bevel the edges, give them a light hand polish with 3000 grit sanding sponge, wipe it down and insert via the muzzle *gasp!!*. Don't use any lubricant or it might cause friction issues between the metal surfaces due to tight tolerances.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow what a deal.  I think my 7.62 rod from Geissele was around $75. That pisses me off lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Giessele will make it right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Mike_Anthony

Any recommended diameters for 9mm?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@Mike_Anthony

Any recommended diameters for 9mm?

Thanks
View Quote
I didn't see the exact diameter you would need from that particular vendor, but you would need a .3437" (11/32) rod since the land-to-land bore diameter for 9mm can vary from .346 to .348, depending on the make of firearm. This vendor carries rod in that size, but I can't vouch for how they ship. Even if it gets slightly damaged in transit, you should be able to easily find a long, perfectly straight, section to use out of the 36" they send.

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Hard-Drill-Rod-0-3437/dp/B00V4LCH5K?tag=vglnk-c102-20

ETA: here is one I use for my 5.56 F1 cans, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I have made these alignment rods in various calibers, but haven't made them in 9mm yet.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top