User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

Just want to give a heads-up that we received one of the new Wolf piston uppers. Some of their staff reached out to our guys and asked if we could "run it hard" and let them know how it turns out. From my first impression, everything looks high quality and the bolt carrier looks solid and robust. We will get a new lower group to pair with the upper and start some paperwork to track round count before putting it on the line.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgsafe.org/3b11b4f7b1.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/3b116a35e1.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/3b11718924.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/3b11839894.jpg
View Quote

Anybody else try to go to the web sight on the box? It gos to some other sight for me. Where can you buy these?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anybody else try to go to the web sight on the box? It gos to some other sight for me. Where can you buy these?
View Quote

Yeah I been checking that site once a week, it went from no webpage to a place holder webpage.

Obviously they can slap a website together behind the scenes and put it up at any min. But changing to a place holder tell me someone is working on it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
My armorers are catching up on a lot of work in the shop but the Wolf piston continues to operate with no issues. I will track down the paperwork to see how often it has been cleaned since going on the line. I myself didn't notice any more or any less recoil as stated above but I guess it all feels relatively the same when shooting .223/5.56 as compared to .308/7.62x51 or 7.62x39.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My armorers are catching up on a lot of work in the shop but the Wolf piston continues to operate with no issues. I will track down the paperwork to see how often it has been cleaned since going on the line. I myself didn't notice any more or any less recoil as stated above but I guess it all feels relatively the same when shooting .223/5.56 as compared to .308/7.62x51 or 7.62x39.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thank you Ron, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thanks Ron for the update. I am glad to know the whole upper will fit the standard AR15/M16 lower receivers .
however,I heard that this Wolf BCG (T91 BCG) is proprietary because they redesign it to fit the piston system back in 1967 and make some improvements in 2002.
Is this information correct?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks Ron for the update. I am glad to know the whole upper will fit the standard AR15/M16 lower receivers .
however,I heard that this Wolf BCG (T91 BCG) is proprietary because they redesign it to fit the piston system back in 1967 and make some improvements in 2002.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

Well since it's a piston system, the BCG is going to be different.  To my knowledge there is no industry standard with piston gas systems like a DI gun.  

I wonder if the bolt is the same as DI.  The carrier is of course going to be different.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well since it's a piston system, the BCG is going to be different.  To my knowledge there is no industry standard with piston gas systems like a DI gun.  

I wonder if the bolt is the same as DI.  The carrier is of course going to be different.
View Quote

Correct, no industry standard; though some BCG's for SSP systems are interchangeable, the majority of them are proprietary.

Nice thing about the T91 is that it's been in service for awhile, so there shouldn't be any issues that suddenly pop up after a thousand rounds.

Would like to see the T91 bolt side by side with a standard AR15 bolt for comparison, myself.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have any first-hand experience obviously but I have heard that the bolt is standard M16/AR15. I'm hoping that is true, as it would make the upper much more hardy here in the states where extra parts for the T91 are pretty much non-existent.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't have any first-hand experience obviously but I have heard that the bolt is standard M16/AR15. I'm hoping that is true, as it would make the upper much more hardy here in the states where extra parts for the T91 are pretty much non-existent.
View Quote

The bolt carrier would have to be nonstandard as the gas key would have to be replaced for an anvil so the pistol rod has something to strike. Everything else should be standard.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The carrier is obviously nonstandard - or at a minimum the gas key is nonstandard (although my bet is that the whole carrier is proprietary).
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two dislikes. They left off the bayonet lug, and they put white lettering all over the upper.
View Quote

I agree with this man.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The carrier is obviously nonstandard - or at a minimum the gas key is nonstandard (although my bet is that the whole carrier is proprietary).
View Quote

Yeah I'm hoping the bolt itself is standard and can be replaced.  

Even though the carrier will be proprietary, how often do those break?  If at all?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't give a shit about the bayonet. I want a proper sling attachment point. The merging of the sling point and the take down is not something I'm fond of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I was talking to the staff today about the Wolf upper and asked if any of the RSO's complained about more or less recoil and they had no differences of opinion and that it "shoot's just like the other M4's". The one complaint they had is that the hand guards get really hot. We are using the factory plastic hand guards and to be honest, I didn't ask if there were single, double or any heat shields.

This upper is on the line daily and gets run pretty hard and I understand why it gets so hot up front. For a novice shooter that is shooting a gun for the first time I can also understand why it may be hot to them. That problem is solved for us when using Colt's, PSA's, Daniel Defense or whatever brand we're running by using a vertical foregrip. This upper doesn't have the ability to accept a foregrip but I am sure there will be quite a few manufacturers with various designs to solve that problem once they hit the market.

V/R
Ron

edited: because I don't type the way I think ;-)
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Now that it's getting a true workout, I'm quite interested in it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't give a shit about the bayonet. I want a proper sling attachment point. The merging of the sling point and the take down is not something I'm fond of.
View Quote

My thoughts, exactly. I was hoping they'd changed the pin to make it easier to disassemble with a bullet or small screwdriver when the gun was dirty, not made it into a cheesy sling point.

Although, the railed bayonet lug would make a decent place to mount the front sling point. So either one would be fine by me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was talking to the staff today about the Wolf upper and asked if any of the RSO's complained about more or less recoil and they had no differences of opinion and that it "shoot's just like the other M4's". The one complaint they had is that the hand guards get really hot. We are using the factory plastic hand guards and to be honest, I didn't ask if there were single, double or any heat shields.

This upper is on the line daily and gets run pretty hard and I understand why it gets so hot up front. For a novice shooter that is shooting a gun for the first time I can also understand why it may be hot to them. That problem is solved for us when using Colt's, PSA's, Daniel Defense or whatever brand we're running by using a vertical foregrip. This upper doesn't have the ability to accept a foregrip but I am sure there will be quite a few manufacturers with various designs to solve that problem once they hit the market.

V/R
Ron

edited: because I don't type the way I think ;-)
View Quote

Ron, has Wolf reached back out to you to get your opinion on the rifle yet? I ask because I'm trying to figure out when they are aiming for release. Usually companies give out review copies right before they are ready for a big PR push, but so far we have yet to hear a peep from Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Any other news?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm ready to buy one as soon as they come out!  Hopefully there will be more news out of Shot Show 2017.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm ready to buy one as soon as they come out!  Hopefully there will be more news out of Shot Show 2017.
View Quote

Hopefully.

Really hoping there's another sling option other than the piston retaining pin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#22]
In order to unlock the  piston retaining pin,you have to push it from left to right ,hold it and rotate 180 degree then release.
The piston itself also has to rotate 180 degree to unlock before taking it out so I would say it is reliable enough.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
All of this.

Though I did read a rumor that they're only importing 1,000 of them.  I hope that's not the case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All of this.

Though I did read a rumor that they're only importing 1,000 of them.  I hope that's not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of this.

I sure as hell hope not.  That would sell out in a day based on the interest on this website alone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks interesting but with no case deflector it's a no go for me. If the video is any indication I'd have a face full of brass. Wish it was more left hand friendly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks interesting but with no case deflector it's a no go for me. If the video is any indication I'd have a face full of brass. Wish it was more left hand friendly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a disability 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]

It's all about eye dominance.  Even if master hand is right, if master eye is left you should train and shoot left.  Acclimating a hand is much easier than an eye.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All of this.

View Quote
If that's the case.... not even worth it for me then
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of this.

what I heard is 1,000 for the first shipment,if  selling is good more will be coming.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

what I heard is 1,000 for the first shipment,if  selling is good more will be coming.
View Quote
Okay.... that's a little better
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope you're right, but do you have a source for that?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I doubt they'll have much trouble selling 1,000 of these uppers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:Though I did read a rumor that they're only importing 1,000 of them.  I hope that's not the case.
View Quote

Source for the 1,000 import number? As far as I've been able to see, Wolf hasn't even made a peep about these since the original reveal at Big 3 East. Which would make any claim about import numbers complete speculation.

In other words, no one start panicking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2016/10/16/2003657255

On the forth paragragh: One thousand initial sets of the uppers are to be delivered to Wolf Ammunition over the next few years, with subsequent sales pending the popularity of the Wolf A1 carbine in the US, sources said.

In other words : 1,000 for the first shipment,if selling is good more will be coming.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's all about eye dominance.  Even if master hand is right, if master eye is left you should train and shoot left.  Acclimating a hand is much easier than an eye.
View Quote

I can only speak from personal experience, but I retrained my eye within a couple of months of shooting rifles and handguns.  No way could I do that with my left hand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Left handed and left eye dominant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#38]
My  Father was left handed. I was also up to  the 1st grade . He saw me shooting a bow left handed and changed it. Wouldn't let me shoot guns or bows or throw the football/baseball left handed. He grew up when there wasn't shit for lefty's . Im right handed today.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

On the forth paragragh: One thousand initial sets of the uppers are to be delivered to Wolf Ammunition over the next few years, with subsequent sales pending the popularity of the Wolf A1 carbine in the US, sources said.

In other words : 1,000 for the first shipment,if selling is good more will be coming.
View Quote
"Over the next few years" for the first 1,000?  So the first shipment might be much smaller 

Im hoping 1,000 are in the first shipment. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Over the next few years" for the first 1,000?  So the first shipment might be much smaller 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a shame.  I hope Wolf doesn't duplicate Keltec's supply model.  I'll probably lose interest if they're unobtainable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That might work if one started shooting cross hand dominance at an early age. But I been shooting right handed with a left eye dominance for the last 56 years. Just too late in life to start to try and retrain old habits.

Old saying goes:"can't teach an old dog new tricks" applies to me.    
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That news is a little bit outdated,from the information I read 1,000 are in the first shipment.

Someone out there e-mail  Wolf tries to pre-order 200 units from the first shipment but Wolf refuses ,
unless you have FFL then you might get a chance to build a supply chain with Wolf.

However,an information update that 1,000 will be in the first shipment .

SMGLee also tested this upper : http://www.imgrum.net/media/1401560899856515987_1349101194

https://www.facebook.com/tacticalsmglee/photos/a.285242318153382.80729.256216031056011/1440577079286561/?type=3&theater

and after some testing Eric Stephen Kincel recommended using a Vltor A5 and a A5H4 buffer for this upper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#43]
who do we order these from.   i want one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
who do we order these from.   i want one.
View Quote

vaporware at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That news is a little bit outdated,from the information I read 1,000 are in the first shipment.

Someone out there e-mail  Wolf tries to pre-order 200 units from the first shipment but Wolf refuses ,
unless you have FFL then you might get a chance to build a supply chain with Wolf.

SMGLee also tested this upper : http://www.imgrum.net/media/1401560899856515987_1349101194

https://www.facebook.com/tacticalsmglee/photos/a.285242318153382.80729.256216031056011/1440577079286561/?type=3&theater

and after some testing Eric Stephen Kincel recommended using a Vltor A5 and a A5H4 buffer for this upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it too hard to post the pic?

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a lower, red dot and buis ready for this thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've got a lower, red dot and buis ready for this thing.
View Quote

Good. Then I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I just built me a lower today for this upper.   i had a bushmasdter A2 style upper laying asround and a BCM  lower kit.  whaT i dont have is a buffer tube and stock.  What is the recommended buffer to run in a piston upper.  WD
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Not that hard,there is a short review in his instagram,I thought someone would be interested in reading it.

A guy make a replica lower for this upper
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just built me a lower today for this upper.   i had a bushmasdter A2 style upper laying asround and a BCM  lower kit.  whaT i dont have is a buffer tube and stock.  What is the recommended buffer to run in a piston upper.  WD
View Quote

Eric Stephen Kincel from BCM recommended a Vltor A5 and a A5H4 buffer for this upper.
Page / 10
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top