Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2015 4:00:50 PM EDT
I'm planning on ordering this Anderson stripped lower from AIM for my second AR build. I can't decide on which upper. I think I want to go with a more precision type rifle with FF rail and scope. Any suggestions? My first is a 16" middy with MOE handguards and irons.

ETA:  Might just get a complete lower from PSA. I like this BCM upper with VTAC alpha rail. Any experience with this rail?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm planning on ordering this Anderson stripped lower from AIM for my second AR build. I can't decide on which upper. I think I want to go with a more precision type rifle with FF rail and scope. Any suggestions? My first is a 16" middy with MOE handguards and irons.

ETA:  Might just get a complete lower from PSA. I like this BCM upper with VTAC alpha rail. Any experience with this rail?
View Quote

Fuck Troy... Sorry, but it has to be said.

You can get the same upper with BCM's rail for only 40 extra bones. Well worth it to stay away from spending your money with Troy and supporting a better business with a lighter solution, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can get the same upper with BCM's rail for only 40 extra bones. Well worth it to stay away from spending your money with Troy and supporting a better business with a lighter solution, IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Troy hiring practices aside, that rail is a pain to mount accessories to due to the proprietary nature of the mounting system.

If you're looking for modular and want to mount stuff, go with a Keymod or MLOK option (kind of like the BCM KMR).
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd build your own upper. I'm currently working on a recceish upper myself.

Vltor Mur upper receiver
ALG EMR V3 (MLOK)
Barrel is still being shopped for, most likely gonna be a match barrel from Rainier.

The Upper block isnt too bad price wise and you can rent a torque wrench for virtually no money from your local auto parts store.

Personally? I think it's a bitch to attach rails to that troy rail so I'd skip that. I'm also not a keymod guy, so the BCM stuff doesn't really fit the bill for me either, but if I were going for precision, I'd opt for a stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
P226, I wouldn't let the extra carriculur bullshit about troy influence your decision. When it comes down to it, pick something that is quality. That's all that matters. Not what that manufacturer has done etc. Doesn't mean jack shit when you need to use it, if you noyimsayin.

Since you have a middy 16, I'd go either shorter or longer. Whether that be SBR or 18-20"

And you already know my opinion on BCM. Damn good option no matter what length or setup you go with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering an 18" or 20"?

Also, take a look at ALG rails, great quality and decent pricing.

Its a division of Geissele...I've been very happy with the ALG rails that I've purchased.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Imo, you should do an A2 Clone, no collection is complete without one
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Your first sounds like mine.  My first was a RRA 16" middy.  It has a MOE forend and irons now, along with a VLTOR E-Mod stock.

My second was a precision that morphed into a 3-gun build.  18" rifle gas Nordic barrel, BCM upper/BCG.  Troy Alpha rail (hey, it was before the sh!tstorm), DPMS "Jerry" comp, Burris MTAC 1-4.  Lower sports an A2 stock and a CMC flat trigger.  Very accurate (or it was when I had a more accuracy-focused optic), and very, very fast.

IMHO, I'd point you either towards a precision build or start your SBR collection early.  :)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you already have a 16" AR, go with a 20"

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

Throw a KAC rail on it and build an A4
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#10]
If you already have a 16" 5.56, you have already maxed out the platform, IMO (anything longer than 14.5" is overkill in my book).

So...my vote is to go shorter. Not sure if you live in a free state or not - so how much shorter will depend on that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you already have a 16" 5.56, you have already maxed out the platform, IMO (anything longer than 14.5" is overkill in my book).

So...my vote is to go shorter. Not sure if you live in a free state or not - so how much shorter will depend on that.
View Quote

I pretty much agree with that /\

In over a decade of having BRD, I have built and shot a number of different AR's and have come to the conclusion that 2 AR's is ideal. One short (14.5" or under) setup for CQB (non-magnified combat optic, white light) and one 16"-18" setup recce style (long FF rail/forearm, variable power magnified optic, improved trigger) is the perfect 1-2 punch and will handle 99% of anything you would ever need or want to do with an AR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with a stainless precision barrel, 18 or 20 inches with a ff handguard and scope to match.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I also vote for shorter. Sbr is a lot of fun. Unless your planning on competing or shooting long distance a 16" will do most everything.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Either a 10.5 Mk18 clone or an 18" Mk12 Mod 0 clone. If you don't have a place to regularly shoot 500m+, then I would go with the SBR.

Or spend these funds on an optic or suppressor for your first AR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Would it make more sense to buy more mags, ammo, and an optic for my rifle? Am I missing out by having just one AR?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would it make more sense to buy more mags, ammo, and an optic for my rifle? Am I missing out by having just one AR?
View Quote

The main reasons I feel it's important for myself to own more than 1 is-

1- incase a part breaks, and I don't have a spare, I'll always have a spare on a spare rifle.

2- incase a friend or loved one needed one to use defensively as well at the same time I need mine. (if there was a multi-person home invasion etc)

These are probably just overkill and OCD, but it gives me peace of mind on the subject having multiple AR's or long guns at least.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1- incase a part breaks, and I don't have a spare, I'll always have a spare on a spare rifle.

2- incase a friend or loved one needed one to use defensively as well at the same time I need mine. (if there was a multi-person home invasion etc)

These are probably just overkill and OCD, but it gives me peace of mind on the subject having multiple AR's or long guns at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good reasons. I would be left without a rifle right now if mine went down. I think I'll get at least one more then buy more accessories.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good reasons. I would be left without a rifle right now if mine went down. I think I'll get at least one more then buy more accessories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's a good idea. Even if you left it stock from the factory, then spend the rest on mags and ammo, maybe just a weaponlight for the spare rifle
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only have one, and I have no intentions of buying another until I get a suppressor and NODs to use with my existing one along with a ton more ammo. If parts break, then I'll just replace them. If Red Dawn happens and I lose my rifle, I guess I'm screwed, but I'm fine with that probability. Either way, I wouldn't throw money at another build until the one I had was perfect.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the same boat.  My vote is to go Cola style
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I am always tempted to buy another rifle but I haven't yet and it's not a money thing. I feel like I should buy the same as I already have so its familiar and identical. Just swap the eotech or maybe set one up w a scope. I struggle w decisions. I think we all do. But marines don't carry backup rifles and talking to them they never worried about one shutting down. So who knows.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since you already have a 16" AR, go with a 20"

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

Throw a KAC rail on it and build an A4
View Quote

PSA has their CHF 20" upper for $360 right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20282/s/psa-20-chf-5-56-nato-1-7-upper-no-handguards-no-bcg-or-charging-handle/category/4233/
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Consider something that increases your capabilities and the variety of your arsenal as much as possible.  You already have a good all-around fighting rifle -- maybe make the next one a DMR, SPR, or recce type setup, with a free float handguard and magnified optics.

I wouldn't use Troy shit either.  I am personally partial to the Midwest Industries SS gen 2.  I just bought my third, and it probably won't be my last.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
diversity.. build a different rifle than you have. I have a DD 16". Now I am going to build a tack driving beast. It's not going to be cheap either. but for a second AR to me its either go short or long. Building a cheap long is just a waste of money.
Any long and you will want the barrel to be free floating so keep that in mind.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]
My personal opinion is to have two speeds of AR.  One is the precision / national match flavor.  I personally like the RRA A4 NM, so you can mount a scope if desired.

And then the second config is a handy carbine.  For the longest time I was a big fan of the 16" Middy, since 16" is the legal limit (w/out papers and BS).  And since for that length BBL, the Middy system was invented (and bayo's still work, for what it's worth).  But upon further reflection, if you want to go short, go short.  So I'm leaning towards selling off my 16", and building something on this:

Which is a pinned 14.5" BBL to equal 16" total.  It's basically a lot closer to the original M4 barrel profile, and able to do so legally by pinning the slightly elongated flash hider, to technically meet the 16" BBL requirement that way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#27]
It's time to go shorter.

You know it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

One is none, two is one and three's a good idea.

I was in the same boat a few years ago.  In 2005,  I had a 20" A2 w/TA01 and a 6920 w/M2 4 moa and JP trigger.  I had the best of both worlds!  A2 for distance and M4 for CQB.  I decided 4" of barrel wasn't needed, so I sold the A2.  It went to good home.  I bought a 16" Noveske w/FF barrel, added a Geissele trigger and 1-4 scope.  I wanted similar rifles each with a purpose and interchangeable.  One is for work and defense, the other is for competition, distance and defense.  I get plenty of time on both and they are outstanding.  A second rifle should be similar to your first - IMHO.

SBR's and suppressors are great for CQB stuff; I just haven't had the need or desire to play with the paperwork.

Search the forum, find the rifle you like then build it.  I say 16" or 14.5"  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm using an ARP 16" heavy barrel with his fancy rifling and Wylde chamber.
I bought one of his Superbolts to go with it.
Tube is a plain Clark Custom carbon fiber tube.
Scope is a Millet TRS-1
I won Larue #23 MBT trigger and put it in a Stag A2 lower.

The combination shoots very well.
If I need to lug it around I can throw a CavArms MkII lower under it.  That shaves a couple of pounds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I build different ARs for shooting enjoyment, not need. Sometimes I wNt to run drills with cheap ammo, sometimes I like to buy the good stuff and work on groups.

I would build a precision upper. 16 - 18 size In the 3 gun theme. They are light, accurate, no shit dangling off them. No light, lasers, backup parts stored. Just a lean and mean how good can you shoot AR. Add a light and sling to your HD gun.

If you go shorter than 11", I would go blackout.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top