Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1566)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1566
Posted: 3/16/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
When discussing the Mk 18 / CQBR program, we can divide the history and discussion in to two distinct categories: 1) The weapon system itself / upper receiver supplied and 2) the group of accessories deployed on said weapon systems (SOPMOD).

----------

Mk 18 Mod 0 / CQBR

The M4 carbine and M16 are not ideally suited for all missions, so it was proposed that the modularity of the M16 series would allow a user to replace the upper receiver of an existing weapon with one more suitable to the task. One of two proposed special mission receivers that were planned for inclusion into the SOPMOD Block II kit, the CQBR has taken off on its own. Like the proposed Special Purpose Receiver, the Close Quarters Battle Receiver has been more or less taken on by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or just "Crane") as its own project following the CQBR's removal from the SOPMOD program. Just as the Special Purpose Receiver morphed into the Special Purpose Rifle, and was type-classified as Mk 12 Mod 0/1, the complete CQBR-equipped carbine has been type-classified as the Mk 18 Mod 0.

The purpose of the CQBR remains to provide operators with a weapon of submachine gun size, but firing a rifle cartridge, for scenarios such as VIP protection, urban warfare, and other close quarters battle (CQB) situations. The CQBR is designed to provide improvement over previous AR-15/M16-type weapons in this category. The CQBR is usually issued as a complete weapon system, and not just an upper receiver. The CQBR was once only available to Naval Special Warfare units, but the Mk 18 Mod 0 has become general issue for Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) missions and, as of 2006, for NCIS agents deploying to active combat zones.[citation needed] The Mk 18 is also used by the Coast Guard's Tactical Law Enforcement Teams, Maritime Safety and Security Teams, and Maritime Security Response Team and the United States Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operators.

Wikipedia has a good article with sources on the original CQBR/Mk 18 Mod 0 and its development.

----------

SOPMOD

The SOPMOD Program Management Office at NSWC Crane, IN, provides standardized, versatile weapons accessories to meet needs across SOF mission scenarios. These accessories increase operator survivability and lethality by enhanced weapon performance, target acquisition, signature suppression, and fire control.

The CQBR itself was originally part of the SOPMOD program as an accessory replacement upper receiver for the M4. However it was eventually separated out into its own project.

SOPMOD accessories for the M4/CQBR originally included things like the KAC RIS/RAS, SOPMOD stock, KAC M4QD suppressor, AN/PEQ-2 illuminator/laser, ECOS-N red dot, ACOG, etc

The SOPMOD program has gone through multiple minor and major evolutions throughout its lifetime. The most significant is commonly defined as "Block II" and included the introduction/replacement of accessories that met the updated needs of operators. The most visually significant "Block II" accessory is probably the replacement of the KAC rail/FSB with the  Daniel Defense RIS II free float rail with low-profile gas block. Other updates include things like the Surefire SOCOM sound suppressor, EOTech RDS (553/SU-231 & EXPS 3-0/SU-231a), LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, etc

----------

Link to docs and photo albums

Presentation on CQBR from Crane
 Operator's Manual for Mk 18 Mod 0
 SOPMOD Program Overview presentation from Crane
 Photo Album of Mk 18 Mod 0
 Photo Album of CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories

----------

Because of the long history of both the CQBR/Mk 18 and SOPMOD programs, it's common to find weapons with various mixed configurations in the field, all depending on what time and unit the weapon system belongs to. Below are a few examples with descriptions to illustrate this.

Example of a Mk 18 Mod 0 in as-issued configuration including: M16A1 surplus lower receiver, SOPMOD buttstock, KAC RIS, KAC M4QD flash hider, Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox mount, LMT rear fixed sight, CQD rear sling plate.

NSW Operator CQBRs with original SOPMOD accessories including KAC M4QD sound suppressor and AN/PEQ-2 IR Illuminator/Laser.

Member of a Combat Camera team with a CQBR with KAC RAS and M4QD flash hider but with other updated accessories from the "Block II" SOPMOD kit including SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0), EOTech G33 Magnifier, LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, Insight WMX-200.

Good example of "early" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including SU-231 (EOTech 553) and SU-233 (Insight M3x weaponlight).

Example of a more "modern" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including the updated SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0) and Insight WMX-200 weaponlight.

Many times certain configurations are common within certain branches/groups. Here a Marine Raider is seen with a CQBR with an AN/PEQ-16 (USMC issued vs. the LA-5/PEQ SOCOM issued ATPIAL) and KAC NT4 suppressor (vs. the current Surefire SOCOM suppressor).

----------

Building a clone

If you're interested in building a "clone" of a Mk 18 or CQBR equipped M4A1, here is a basic parts list to use as a guide and get you started. This list is not exhaustive and see the * note above regarding personalized accessories.

| Mk 18 Mod 0                      | M4A1 CQBR Block I                   | M4A1 CQBR Block II                                      
Lower Receiver         | Mil-spec forged A1               | Mil-spec forged A2                  | Mil-spec forged A2                                      
Stock                  | Gen 1 SOPMOD (Black)             | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others       | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others                            
Pistol Grip            | A1                               | A2, ERGO & others                   | A2, ERGO & others                                        
Rear Sling Plate       | CQD                              | CQD                                 | CQD                                                      
Upper Receiver         | Mil-spec forged M4 profile       | Mil-spec forged M4 profile          | Mil-spec forged M4 profile                              
Barrel                 | 10.3"                            | 10.3"                               | 10.3"                                                    
Rail                   | KAC RIS                          | KAC RAS                             | DD Mk18 RIS II (FDE)                                    
Rear BUIS              | LMT Fixed                        | LMT Fixed, MATECH, & others         | MATECH, KAC 300m, & others                              
Front Sight            | A2 FSB                           | A2 FSB                              | KAC 99051 BUIS (Taupe)                                  
Front Sling Attachment | FSB Sling Swivel                 | FSB Sling Swivel                    | CQD                                                      
Muzzle Device          | KAC M4QD                         | KAC M4QD                            | SureFire FH-556-RC                                      
Supressor              | None                             | KAC QDSS NT4                        | SureFire SOCOM556-RC (FDE)                              
LAM                    | None                             | PEQ-2                               | LA-5                                                    
Weaponlight            | SureFire M962                    | SureFire M952, M962                 | Insight M3X (Tan), Insight WMX200 (Bronze)              
Optic                  | Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox Mount | Aimpoint Comp M2 in QRP Mount, ACOG | EOTech 553 (Tan), EOTech EXPS3-0 (Tan), ELCAN 1-4x (FDE)

----------

Link to previous threads

Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part I
 Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part II
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drewQ22:
My only guess is that you guys are referring to the dropleg tacos?? Lol

I think they mean patrol cap not plate carrier?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drewQ22:
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
what kind of coat is that ? the coyote ?
Coyote jacket is a truspec soft shell. It's nice.  

Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:
Where at in WV? You ever shoot at Peacemaker? I'm trying to not shoot alone all the damn time.

I told you before man, I live like 15 or 20 mins from Peacemaker Nat'l...but I usually shoot at the house.

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By acmcgaha:

My eyes are playing tricks on me. That looks like a PC you are wearing, but there's something so off about it...

It's a "winter" PC.
My only guess is that you guys are referring to the dropleg tacos?? Lol

I think they mean patrol cap not plate carrier?

Yup, this.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CloneDiseased] [#2]
Yeah it's an old patrol cap with the fold down ear flaps..it's a nice little hat.

Repost:

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
DSC_6950 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CzfvBJ" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5659/24005119212_fcd60861ba_k.jpg</a>DSC_6950 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
View Quote

Sexy! When we shoot'n?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:

Sexy! When we shoot'n?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CzfvBJ" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5659/24005119212_fcd60861ba_k.jpg</a>DSC_6950 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

Sexy! When we shoot'n?

wide open the later half of the month on the weekends
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Another great pic!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
<snip>

Also, what color NT4 is correct for a Mod 0? Is it black for the Mod 0 and Taupe for the block 1? I really like those taupe ones.

Edit: New page.

View Quote

Maybe answered already (I'm getting caught up from 2 days of no net) but I've only seen black.  It's not like you turn in your black can for a taupe...if the one you have works, you keep it (or leave it when you leave the unit).

Taupes would filter in as replacements at some point but I haven't seen it...doesn't mean they aren't out there, just that I haven't seen any taupes IRL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SilentMark:
Are all of the mk18/cqbr's colt lowers or have we seen FN lowers as well?
View Quote

I've never seen one.

Most if not all of the FNs are M16s, not the M4s that would be host to a CQBR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Close Quarter Troll Rifle

CQBR that isn't correct and is used to "troll" clone folks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
Originally Posted By acmcgaha:
There's a CQTR in there somewhere....

http://<a href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5750/22983836144_c8d59fbe3b_h.jpg</a>" />

I'm sorry, I will try to keep up, but what is CQTR?  Is that for C (close) QTR (quarter)?  If so, that's just not quite how I remember it...

No idea but he has been saying it for pages, I guess it's cute thing to do now? Call guns the wrong thing.

Close Quarter Troll Rifle

CQBR that isn't correct and is used to "troll" clone folks.

I'll 2nd that definition.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah it's an old patrol cap with the fold down ear flaps..it's a nice little hat.

Repost:
<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/DSC_0341_Corrected_zpsaasd8rgc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/DSC_0341_Corrected_zpsaasd8rgc.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/5_zps85q7xdg7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/5_zps85q7xdg7.jpg</a>
View Quote

That a very nice set up.  Do you have any problems with your EOTEC?  I have the same model and have not had any problems with it .  I have heard alot of people are send them back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Joescuba:

That a very nice set up.  Do you have any problems with your EOTEC?  I have the same model and have not had any problems with it .  I have heard alot of people are send them back.
View All Quotes

Repost:

<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/DSC_0341_Corrected_zpsaasd8rgc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/DSC_0341_Corrected_zpsaasd8rgc.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/5_zps85q7xdg7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/5_zps85q7xdg7.jpg</a>

No man, no problems with my EOTech. But I don't operate like SOCOM or many here in these clone threads do
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]

No man, no problems with my EOTech. But I don't operate like SOCOM or many here in these clone threads do
View All Quotes

Repost:

I tested my zero from 72f to 33f and it was fine. I shot at the range the other day when it was 20s, still fine.

EXPS3 su231a.

2015-12-25_04-09-20 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a heads up as I know they've been hard to find lately, a shop near me has a KAC corn cob in stock
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jparish62:
Just a heads up as I know they've been hard to find lately, a shop near me has a KAC corn cob in stock
View Quote

Lol corn cob..
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

God damnit I need to find one at a shop in FL.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
I'm not in the market, but folks might want to know which color they have.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
It has arrived!! I wasn't expecting it so fast. He did some amazing work.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks good bro! Congrats
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Looks good bro! Congrats
View All Quotes

Looks good bro! Congrats

Now I just need to get this fucker hogged out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]

fuck you I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

fuck you I'm jealous.
View All Quotes

fuck you I'm jealous.

Well, it's only a paperweight at this point, so there isn't much to be jealous of.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#22]

Well, it's only a paperweight at this point, so there isn't much to be jealous of.
View All Quotes

fuck you I'm jealous.

A badass paperweight.

Also, don't forget to send Boyband err....I mean Brodband your paperweight for type 3 hard coat sharpie. Only 1500 bucks and iz finished two ze utmost correct MILSPECz.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#23]
Some Block 1 and FSP RIS fun to celebrate finally ordering the CQD F/R mounts I've been missing.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#24]

A badass paperweight.

Also, don't forget to send Boyband err....I mean Brodband your paperweight for type 3 hard coat sharpie. Only 1500 bucks and iz finished two ze utmost correct MILSPECz.
View All Quotes

fuck you I'm jealous.

A badass paperweight.

Only if I can talk him down. I can only swing a g-bar for finishing right now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

fuck you I'm jealous.

A badass paperweight.

I got you covered.  Send me a PM.  I accept mailed cash, bank wire, paypal gift, and walmart moneygram.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
You do anodizing eh Brodband?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I got you covered.  Send me a PM.  I accept mailed cash, bank wire, paypal gift, and walmart moneygram.
View Quote

I've got a handful of Walmart gift cards
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DeaconCustom:
View Quote

"Anodizing"
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Right right, sharpie. Forgot!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DeaconCustom:
View Quote

He does rusty nail prison tats if that counts
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#31]

View All Quotes

I will accept those also.  Only thing I do not accept is EBT as payment.  Unless you buying me dinner.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]

I will accept those also.  Only thing I do not accept is EBT as payment.  Unless you buying me dinner.
View All Quotes

So sexual favors are GTG?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

How's that sayin' go  'bout a squirell and a nut?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

How's that sayin' go  'bout a squirell and a nut?
View Quote

I've always used "a blind nut gets a squirrel every now and then".

Some people say that's wrong.............but they're stupid
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Warning, turn your speaker volumes down:

Hopefully this shows up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#37]
Reaction at the end is great

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#38]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hL4qPxFdh4

Hopefully this shows up.
View Quote

Wicked sweet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Hopefully this shows up.
View Quote

Sweet video, what was done to the audio?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Hopefully this shows up.
View Quote

LOL, dude, awesome. You look so genuinely pleased at the end. A smile few things but a fun switch can bring.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#41]

LOL, dude, awesome. You look so genuinely pleased at the end. A smile few things but a fun switch can bring.
View All Quotes

Hopefully this shows up.

Eric transformed into a different person, nice!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:
View All Quotes

Oh yeah, forgot. FDE
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Hopefully this shows up.

He's a shapeshifter.

Anyone know a source for M3X IR filters?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#44]
He's a shapeshifter.    

View All Quotes

Hopefully this shows up.

He's a shapeshifter.    

I have some.

Was going to throw an entire su233/pvs kit up soon, with tan bikini filters and riser etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Amay1986:
Hello everyone, long time lurker here love everyone's guns. I'm currently trying to build my own mk18 clone, or well as close as i can since it's a pistol (damn Illinois laws). I could use some help on a few parts. I looked at the chart  on the first page when it says others on the rear sight would a KAC 200-600m be good to go or do i need a different one? Another question is the grip. I'm not a huge fan of the A2 would a tango down like whats used on a block 2 be kosher?

Thanks in advance guys.
View Quote

Depends on if you're building a Mk18 or a CQBR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice how the direction of the brass moves forward as it gets into a rhythm..........

Hopefully this shows up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Hopefully this shows up.
View Quote

Haha, hell yeah.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:32:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#48]
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

Hopefully this shows up.

Nothing was done to the audio just probably needed to turn my shotgun mic settings down

Edit: Did the Audio sound bad?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Edit] [#49]
finished my mk18 mod 1, got to test it out and it got dirty at the gas block, good stuff.

image sharing
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Edit:
finished my mk18 mod 1, got to test it out and it got dirty at the gas block, good stuff.

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/68o9cijt1/full/" target="_blank">http://s2.postimg.org/qst3azzk9/lol.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/s6kq6ayth/full/" target="_blank">http://s2.postimg.org/tlmav0zwp/lol2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/prsulvikl/full/" target="_blank">http://s2.postimg.org/nn8hksgy1/lol3.jpg</a>

image sharing
View Quote

Put on your asbestos underwear.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1566
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1566)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top