BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]
After about 20 solid hours of data entry, the rail section is more than halfway updated with the new / additional data. Making progress! I think once that's done I'm going to make a post in the GD to see if we can't increase awareness of the PWD. If like to get the user base built to the point where it's realistic for it to be largely self sustaining.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
After about 20 solid hours of data entry, the rail section is more than halfway updated with the new / additional data. Making progress! I think once that's done I'm going to make a post in the GD to see if we can't increase awareness of the PWD. If like to get the user base built to the point where it's realistic for it to be largely self sustaining.
View Quote

Knowing how many in GD conduct themselves, I would urge caution against posting openly in there about it.

Maybe throw the post in Team instead.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Knowing how many in GD conduct themselves, I would urge caution against posting openly in there about it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

agreed. GD will trash the thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:

agreed. GD will trash the thread Google Doc
View Quote

Fixed that for ya...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Every few days I save a private unshared copy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Any data out there on what trigger groups weigh? I have data on Geissele, AR Gold, Wilson TTU, Timney and a few others I've owned, but if there's more...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Fixed that for ya...
View Quote

Good call! I didn't even think of the spreadsheet!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
Any data out there on what trigger groups weigh? I have data on Geissele, AR Gold, Wilson TTU, Timney and a few others I've owned, but if there's more...
View Quote

Yeah, the trigger portion of the PWD is pretty enemic thus far, I admit. To be honest it's not an area most people look to dump weight. Still, it could be a lot better. Any and all new data is appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrysimons] [#9]
Is the link on the first post the current PWD? Er, wrong thread I went to the one in your signature

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/707652_AR-Parts-Weights-Database.html

I have weights on a lot of stuff in my ultralight and uberlight threads on TOS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The one in my signature is the one and only PWD. I tried to get the OP to add it to his post, but he hasn't responded your some reason. I'm also going to try to get an admin to sticky it somewhere. I think it's a useful resource, especially as it's grown. I've got over 1000 rail systems in it alone, now, and it keeps growing. It also answers a lot of non-weight related questions. I'm going to post up about it in Team and maybe even GD soon, hopefully that'll boost participation and interest in making it a sticky.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:07:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wmcray] [#11]
Thanks Jekbrown for the spreadsheet work!!
I have had this idea for a while now on a spreadsheet for cost per grams saved.  No time here to do all the work and not suggesting anyone should take it on.  Maybe just some of the best savings per dollar vs some of the worst.  

Example.
Aim lightweight BCG $110, 252g
PSA premium $90, 328g
76g saved $30 more than average BCG = 40 cents per gram.  If bought outright and not subtracting the cost of average BCG $1.45 per gram saved.

Another example KMR barrel nut.
BCM nut 45g  
V7 Titanium nut 26g $57
19g saved $57 = $3  per gram saved.

Example of a more costly grams per dollar.
BCM KMR clamp block 9.5g
V7 KMR Titanium clamp block $35 5.5g
4g saved  = $8.75 per gram saved.  

Some of my math may be off as well as shipping and actual prices vary.  

BTW  in stock AIM lightweight nitride
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a Google sheets guru, but I presume that it has at least limited formula capabilities. All we'd need is a MSRP column and we could at least produce a $/oz column from existing data...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a Google sheets guru, but I presume that it has at least limited formula capabilities. All we'd need is a MSRP column and we could at least produce a $/oz column from existing data...
View Quote

BCG would be easy because there are similar weights and prices for a well known milspec quality product.  It would be more complicated when it comes to barrels and handguards.  What is a starting point for weight and cost to figure grams per dollar saved?  Since this is a lightweight thread I would think that a average pencil barrel weighing 1lb 8oz around $100 shipped.  Example Budget pencil barrel  Then figure the cost for lighter more expensive barrels.
Faxon 16" pencil barrel $170 140g saved =$1.21 per gram saved over a $100 1lb 8oz barrel.  

Just cost per gram
Faxon $3.20 per gram at $170
Spinta $ 0.12 per gram at $80   Your buying more weight here for less money.  

Not exact weights figured here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#14]
New stock setup. AR10 buffer tube and a bad lbs replica. After modification, the buffer tube weighs 3.4oz and the buttstock weighs 2.6oz with the screw. I still need to make up a spacer for the inside of the tube so that the carrier doesn't over travel.

7 5/8" from back of stock to receiver.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#15]
Made the spacer, comes it at 7 grams.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, the trigger portion of the PWD is pretty enemic thus far, I admit. To be honest it's not an area most people look to dump weight. Still, it could be a lot better. Any and all new data is appreciated!
View Quote

Interesting considering that triggers can slightly reduce, or add a substantial amount of weight in a lightweight build. Using a mil-spec trigger group as the baseline, which weighs 2.36oz, it obviously goes up and down from there.

According to my scale:

Timney Standard 2.35oz
Wilson TTU-3G 2.82oz
AR Gold 2.6oz
CMC 4oz
TriggerTech Adjustable 2.27oz
Geissele SSA-E 2.20oz
Geissele Hi-Speed NM 2.25oz

Unless the trigger came with proprietary pins, the weight listed excludes pins. I've had several other triggers, but unfortunately, didn't start collecting data until early 2014 when the lightweight craze started.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Triggers weighed without pins or springs

LaRue MBT-2S 2.35 ounces
Rock River 2 stage 2.2 ounces
Geissee SSA 1.975 ounces
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:
New stock setup. AR10 buffer tube and a bad lbs replica. After modification, the buffer tube weighs 3.4oz and the buttstock weighs 2.6oz with the screw. I still need to make up a spacer for the inside of the tube so that the carrier doesn't over travel.
http://i.imgur.com/YqpFr1a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ByyDvGl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7TJ1u4j.jpg
7 5/8" from back of stock to receiver.
View Quote

Ok. I will bite. What are you using to machine your parts down since I IM'd you about the buffer and you said you did not have a mill.

Your cuts and machined parts looks super nice and flat! Spill the beans!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#19]
yeah, if you've got the mill anyway, might as well add some speed holes to the stock/plate, no?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Aluminum KMR barrel nut update time!

We made some minor design changes to our original prototype and ran a second round on Thursday which included said changes.

The original O.D. was too large, at least when trying to fit it to a 13" KMR-A.

Weight is hovering around 16 grams, factory BCM is 45 grams.

Sorry, no pictures yet.  Once I get the protos that fit done, I will post pictures.  

Lastly, I do have a favor to ask those that have KMR's, whether they be the original or Alpha.  Could you please measure, with a set of calipers, the I.D. of where the barrel nut goes?  The rail I bought yesterday(yes, I finally got one for myself, thanks to y'all! ) has an I.D. of 1.362" and the barrel nut is 1.365" so it has to be crammed in there but it goes.  I personally like the interference-fit but I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I know it's taken a while but with our families, day jobs and just life in general, this hasn't gone as fast as either myself or my machinist friend would have hoped.  Thank you all for sticking with me, we're on the back stretch now!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:35:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#21]

Ok. I will bite. What are you using to machine your parts down since I IM'd you about the buffer and you said you did not have a mill.

View Quote

Hahaha I promis I don't have a mill. with the right tools and a lot of patients you can get great results by hand. I literally used a hacksaw to remove the bulk of the material. Surface finishing started with a rough file then sand paper on a block to keep things uniform. Increased grit until the desired surface finish was achieved. A vise to hold your work also makes a big difference.

Here is the chunk I cut off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By stitchclimber:

We made some minor design changes to our original prototype and ran a second round on Thursday which included said changes.

Sorry, no pictures yet.  Once I get the protos that fit done, I will post pictures.  

Lastly, I do have a favor to ask those that have KMR's, whether they be the original or Alpha.  Could you please measure, with a set of calipers, the I.D. of where the barrel nut goes?  The rail I bought yesterday(yes, I finally got one for myself, thanks to y'all! ) has an I.D. of 1.362" and the barrel nut is 1.365" so it has to be crammed in there but it goes.  I personally like the interference-fit but I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I know it's taken a while but with our families, day jobs and just life in general, this hasn't gone as fast as either myself or my machinist friend would have hoped.  Thank you all for sticking with me, we're on the back stretch now!
View Quote

I have been tearing my gun room apart looking for my caliper!

I have the upper disassembled right now and the kmr rail and titanium barrel nut are just sitting there waiting to get measured for you.

Once again. Thank you for taking this on!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Hahaha I promis I don't have a mill. with the right tools and a lot of patients you can get great results by hand. I literally used a hacksaw to remove the bulk of the material. Surface finishing started with a rough file then sand paper on a block to keep things uniform. Increased grit until the desired surface finish was achieved. A vise to hold your work also makes a big difference.

https://i.imgur.com/nXgoiSeh.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/nXgoiSeh.jpg

Ok. Since I don't have a mill or find a shop to do my dirty work I might follow your foot steps! Awesome work brother.

How did you do the buffer cuts though?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

OK found my digital caliper.

the ID of my 9" KMR (non alpha) ranges from 1.360-1.365, depending on where it is placed.

The V7 titanium barrel nut measures 1.363-1.365
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Weird question: how much weight, roughly, does a Krylon job add to an average AR?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone weighing their AR before/after a rattle can paint job. Obviously the paint has some weight, but there are sooo many factors at play (final paint thickness, AR configuration, etc.) that for the data to be useful you'd probably have to spray a bunch of guns and avg. the before/after weights to even approach useful info. Cerakote seems to be much thinner, so if I was absolutely dead set on both adding color AND keeping weight down, that'd prolly be the way I'd go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't forget to scrub your barrel. those pesky copper deposits will weigh your gun down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]

OK found my digital caliper.

the ID of my 9" KMR (non alpha) ranges from 1.360-1.365, depending on where it is placed.

The V7 titanium barrel nut measures 1.363-1.365
View Quote

Thank you for that!  I had a couple other good folks let me know that mine was not out of normal either.

We're going to leave them tight so the rail may have to be lightly tapped on with a rubber gunsmith hammer.  I'm recommending using a little heat on the barrel nut end of the rail either with a heat gun, hair dryer or hot water.

Okay, here's the part you've all been waiting for...  They were sent off to anodize today!  I should see them back in my hands on Monday or Tuesday of next week!

Oh, and weight will come in at 16 grams, yeah!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Curare:
Weird question: how much weight, roughly, does a Krylon job add to an average AR?
View Quote

If you want a lightweight finish, go with molyresin.  Yes I know it's not the super whizbang zomg cerakote internet buzzword coating, but the shit plain WORKS, and works *REALLY* well.  It also goes on thinner than cerakote, and lasts a HELL of a lot longer.  I have several AK's coated in it and they've been abused like no other.  Some wear on the rails where the carrier rides, as well as the standard smile from the selector lever.  That's about it.  Meanwhile my two cerakoted ARs have plenty of finish wear and i'm not even that hard on them....and i've owned them for maybe 2 years now, as opposed to the 12 or so on the moly'd AKs.

Cerakote is neat and fun and all, but it's not NEARLY as wear-resistent as molyresin.  At least not in my real-world experience (which admittedly isn't the same as advertising and marketing pamphlets).
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone weighing their AR before/after a rattle can paint job. Obviously the paint has some weight, but there are sooo many factors at play (final paint thickness, AR configuration, etc.) that for the data to be useful you'd probably have to spray a bunch of guns and avg. the before/after weights to even approach useful info. Cerakote seems to be much thinner, so if I was absolutely dead set on both adding color AND keeping weight down, that'd prolly be the way I'd go.
View Quote

Chenault, in the Mk12 thread, reported that his rifle shed 1.5 pounds when he stripped the paint off of it. That's significant when we're talking 4# builds. Guess I'm going with good ol' black.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Curare:

Chenault, in the Mk12 thread, reported that his rifle shed 1.5 pounds when he stripped the paint off of it. That's significant when we're talking 4# builds. Guess I'm going with good ol' black.
View Quote

you may also want to look into how many times he sprayed over the existing finish, and how many layers to get the pattern he had.  his isn't exactly the best example (and he also sprayed bipod, optics, etc.).

but hey feel free to use a single rifle with a *LOT* of unmentioned factors completely steer your decision-making process.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
1.5lbs of paint?! I honestly find that hard to believe
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#33]
1.5lbs of paint?! I honestly find that hard to believe
View Quote

he never stripped it for a VERY long time and over the course of NUMEROUS paint jobs.  it was pretty dang thick in a lot of places.  honestly, i could believe it.  it's ridiculous, but like i said he just sprayed a new coat over what was already there to change it up now and then.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Thank you for that!  I had a couple other good folks let me know that mine was not out of normal either.

We're going to leave them tight so the rail may have to be lightly tapped on with a rubber gunsmith hammer.  I'm recommending using a little heat on the barrel nut end of the rail either with a heat gun, hair dryer or hot water.

Okay, here's the part you've all been waiting for...  They were sent off to anodize today!  I should see them back in my hands on Monday or Tuesday of next week!

View Quote

Thanks brother ONCE Again!

I am going out of town and off the grid this week. Bumping this thread up and also letting you know That I will take two. Lock me in. I might not be able to send payment asap, but lock me in!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#35]

I am going out of town and off the grid this week. Bumping this thread up and also letting you know That I will take two. Lock me in. I might not be able to send payment asap, but lock me in!
View All Quotes

I'm in for one also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By stitchclimber:Oh, and weight will come in at 16 grams, yeah!!
View Quote

...added to the database...
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stitchclimber] [#37]

View Quote

Oh, believe me, you're locked in!  Travel safely and thank you for all your help and support!

Originally Posted By vallopez2000:

I'm in for one also.
View Quote

Absolutely, got you down!  Thanks!

I'm planning to sell the first 20-30 to folks in this here thread to pay for the initial cost so I can get my investment back, then register a business with my machinist buddy based on lightweight parts(as long as I can get my money back)!

Regarding the KMR nuts, this is who's either posted or contacted me and many they want.

SOCOM76 x 1
*Jwood562 x 2
*vallopez2000 x 1
*shootsenmeister  x 1 (tentative)
*ahrion x 1
hfrog355 x 1
Wmcray x 2
*DekNgo x 1
Tempaccess x 1
*WantsAnRRA x ?
*Nada-Nada x 2
*Spartikis x 1

UncleEric x 2

Struck name denotes they have contacted and paid.

* Next to username denotes those I have emailed regarding payment.

If you don't see your name or you want your total changed, please EMAIL me about it.  Thank you all for your help and encouragement!

And and finally, photos of protos:

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Discounts available for anyone buying more than one?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:30:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stitchclimber] [#39]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
Discounts available for anyone buying more than one?
View Quote

Well, I was going to sell them for $55 each but goofed and quoted $50 to some folks.  It wouldn't be fair to ask for more money from some than others so I'm going to do them for $50 each to folks in this thread.  Of course, shipping is included, no matter how many.

One caveat though, I must require that everyone who stated they were in, absolutely gets their original requested amount and then folks can buy additional ones above what they requested after those have been filled.  That make sense?  Makes sense in my head but well, it's kind of crazy up there at the moment...  
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Have I missed it or has there been any talk of lightweight slings and attachment methods?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By larrys:
Have I missed it or has there been any talk of lightweight slings and attachment methods?
View Quote

550 cord and a square knot?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#42]
The Way of The Gun sling is the most minimalistic sling I know of.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I haven't seen much talk of it in here, funny thing about sling weight is that it doesn't really contribute to the weight of the gun when slung. If the rifle and sling are attached to a backpack then weight should be considered. Im personally running a blue force vickers without pad and with ALG forged aluminum QDs on each end. (I spent freaking $64 on QD sling swivels lol... sometimes i wonder.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#44]
forged AL QDs....now that's dedication to the lightweight cause right there. Love it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
forged AL QDs....now that's dedication to the lightweight cause right there. Love it.
View Quote

Hahaha, ALG makes good stuff. 16 grams btw. Not sure what a normal steel qd sling swivel weighs. Ill weigh and post my total sling weight tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Of the four slings I own, the Vickers is the lightest.

W/O QD ends, the Vickers sling weighs 121 grams.
The only QD swivel ends I have that aren't attached to slings, are Troy SS that weigh 27 grams each, so the whole thing is 175g ( 6.17oz )
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

http://www.wayofthegun.us/black-proctor-sling/
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ashman:

http://www.wayofthegun.us/black-proctor-sling/
View Quote

Funny you posted that, I just ordered one of those last night after a little Google searching!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#49]
ALG forged aluminum sling swivels weigh 16g each or 1oz for two. The blue force gear vickers with 2 ALG swivels weighs exactly 5oz on my scale.

I need to run with it some more, still trying to decide on the rear location between the stock and the end plate.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Oh, believe me, you're locked in!  Travel safely and thank you for all your help and support!

Absolutely, got you down!  Thanks!

I'm planning to sell the first 20-30 to folks in this here thread to pay for the initial cost so I can get my investment back, then register a business with my machinist buddy based on lightweight parts(as long as I can get my money back)!

Regarding the KMR nuts, this is who's either posted or contacted me and many they want.  

SOCOM76 x 1
Jwood562 x 2
vallopez2000 x 1
shootsenmeister  x 1 (tentative)
ahrion x 3-4 (tentative)
Jwood562 x 1
Wmcray x 2
DekNgo x 1
Tempaccess x 1
WantsAnRRA x ?
Nada-Nada x 1
Spartikis x 1

If you don't see your name or you want your total changed, please EMAIL me about it.  Thank you all for your help and encouragement!

And and finally, photos of protos:

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/9954/ZkPrUt.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/9729/pTPh0q.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4176/eKkfhn.jpg
View Quote

This $50 B-Nut now has me building another upper...which I can only pray will stay at just an upper and not another rifle.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top