Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:47:17 AM EDT
I've been looking at the Palmetto State Armory kits and uppers. Has anyone seen or shot the 2 different barrels they offer. They have a chromelined chrome moyl barrel, and a heavy chomelined hammer forged FN barrel. There's about 80 to 90 dollar difference in price. I only shoot about once a month and maybe 200 to 250 rounds per, so I'm not going to wear out a barrel. I rarely shoot over 100 yds, but would like to be fairly accurate. Is the more expensive barrel going to shoot better? Or is it a durability thing? Anyone have any hands on with these or seen the difference??? It's my first AR and trying to find out whether to spend the additional money on my first budget build. Thanks

I'm not one who changed alotta of stuff on my guns, and will probably never add a bunch of accessories or take it apart and rebuild it into something else. If I want something different later, I'll just build another later. Just looking to try an AR for a while and get my feet wet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't plan on shooting a lot, I'd go with the cheaper barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Shooting 250 rounds, once a month is still 3000 rounds a year. Not that thats a lot and going to burn your barrel out,but either barrel would be fine. While chrome lined barrels are the least accurate of the lot, they are not in any way inaccurate barrels. The lining is for durability. If your not going to be doing a lot of mag dumps and using your barrel for prying, get the non heavy barrel and save the money for ammo or your next build. Issued, M4 barrels can fire plenty of rounds w/o worry and so can you.

good luck and have fun
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the HF barrel, my g/f has the 4140 C/L barrel.......I can not tell a difference between the 2 when shooting them. HF is supposed to last longer...only time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any experience with PSA, but the two hammer forged barrels I have (DD, SIG) are a little less accurate than my ARs with button rifled barrels.  The difference is small enough that it would be noticeable with anything but match ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, anyone else had a chance to compare the differences???
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Great question as i am looking at the two kits as well, for the extra $80 for the hammer forged and really no difference for what you and i will be doing with htme i may go with the cheaper set with the MOE kit. I too only plan on using the weopon for SHTF and rec shooting or camp shooting.

I am just not sure how the finish is like, from pics i have seen they look dull?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there anyone on the site who has worn out a barrel? Excluding military weapons or folks who run ranges, or competition shooters.

I'm talking personal firearms, here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I read a little more detail into PSAs barrel descriptions, and I know everything is open to intrepuration. Some same chome molly vandieum, some say 4140 chrome moly, then there's the hammer forged. The cheaper barrels say air guaged and lead lapped. The hammer forged say HP tested and MP inspected. Can anyone give some input on the barrel descriptions differences??? Good or bad??? Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the non FN barrels are Wilson barrels. Perfectly good barrels. I have  4150 (Wilson I think), FN button rifled, and FN hammer forged. They all shoot well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
They also have some MP tested non-hammer forged barrels now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
no :).

but we are talking about when SHTF.. you may only have a single barrel for next 10 generation.. :)

Quoted:
Is there anyone on the site who has worn out a barrel? Excluding military weapons or folks who run ranges, or competition shooters.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's an email I had with PSA. It was vague...I don't feel like my question was answered, but here it is if it helps:

Greetings,

What is the difference between the 20" 5.56 Hammer Forged, Chrome-Lined MP Upper
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2522.php which is in stock,

and the "Palmetto State Armory 20'' 5.56 NATO FN Upper" which is
temporarily out of stock?

When will the latter be back in stock?

The differences are very minor, but essentially it is a difference in the
barrel manufacturers.  The configuration that is out of stock is waiting on
barrels at this time.  We should get them in as early as mid January and
then be able to hopefully be able to have them ready to sell by the
beginning of February.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Customer Service
Palmetto State Armory

Thanks for the info. So the out of stock ones are made by FN and
hammer forged, while the in stock ones are hammer forged but not FN?

Thanks

Not hammer forged are also non FN correct.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Customer Service
Palmetto State Armory
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
no :).

but we are talking about when SHTF.. you may only have a single barrel for next 10 generation.. :)(quote)

If the SHTF I have 2 preban AKs and preban hi cap mags. I'm looking to get into ARs are don't want to spend a fortune on a first AR, but still want something that shoot relatively accurate and is fun to shoot. I'm just looking to get my hand dirty seeing how it goes together and what makes it all work. I have 2 stripped lowers coming this week and want to do a 14.5 carbine or middy for a fun gun, and build a varmint gun later to use when I'm at my house in Arizona. I'd rather save the $$$ for that build. Call it a learning experience that I'd like to come out of with a fairly accurate AR. Thanks

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
i bought the FN barrel when I bought my rifle kit from PSA.  I highly doubt I will wear it out, i probably could've saved a little and got the regular barrel, but for my first build, i decided to get the FN barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Kinda thinking the same why. My other rifles that I shoot paper with, it's always been about barrel and trigger (and a decent scope) the rest is just icing on the cake. I'd hate to get a lesser barrel and save the 85 bucks and be unhappy with it down the road. I'm not as worried about the metal quality as I am the the lesser metal 4140 and 4150 may not be machined as good as the more expensive metals. I sent another request for information to PSA, but they never answered the one from before Christmas so any quess whether they'll respond this time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's an email I had with PSA. /span]

So which 20'"  PSA do you own?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's an email I had with PSA. It was vague...I don't feel like my question was answered, but here it is if it helps:

I agree, and I'm sorry you received an incorrect reply to your inquiry.

The "20'' 5.56 NATO FN Upper" isn't hammer forged.

The "20" 5.56 Hammer Forged, Chrome-Lined MP Upper" is also made for us by FN, but has a hammer forged barrel.

I hope that answers your question, and here is the link to the "FN marked upper" if you would like to read the description.

Palmetto State Armory 20'' 5.56 NATO FN Upper

Thank you for clarifying the email. My question is "are the 4140, 4150, CMV all machined to a spec that PSA sets and are they similar other then the alloy?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

About 45/46 if memory serves.
To be young,single and lots of disposable income again...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "20" 5.56 Hammer Forged, Chrome-Lined MP Upper" is also made for us by FN, but has a hammer forged barrel.

I hope that answers your question, and here is the link to the "FN marked upper" if you would like to read the description.

The link takes you to a functioning order page, Can these uppers be ordered at this price???
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The link takes you to a functioning order page, Can these uppers be ordered at this price???

nope try to order and get sorry out of stock msg...

I ordered the 20inch kit w lpk and a2 stock. The barrel is made by FN hammer forged good to go, just FN isn't roll marked on barrel, but hammer forged = awesomeness :)

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one of these and it was a very tight shooter. I ended up wanting some other stuff and let a friend talk me out of it. I'm not a big fan of non-SBRs anyways, but I would buy another one of these if I decide to go "long" again.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top