Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:00:20 AM EDT
Checking to see what people prefer.  Billet recievers or Forged?

Why?
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Forged, because  they are less expensive and are generally made of stonger and more durable material.

Also, IMHO, the cost to benefit ratio of the billet receivers does not make them worth it for 99% of the use they will be seeing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Forged

+1 because...

Quoted:
...IMHO, the cost to benefit ratio of the billet receivers does not make them worth it for 99% of the use they will be seeing.

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The billet craze is something I just don't understand.

You can find high quality stripped forged lowers for under $125.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Billet is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard of, I want to pay more for a less durable but prettier receiver

While I wouldn't say a it's one of the dumbest things, I somewhat agree.  

On the other hand, some high-end AR builders do say that the billet upper receivers are straighter and truer than the forged upper receivers which leads to a slight improvemant in accuracy/precision.  

However, I don't really know how noticable this would be unless you are shooting off a bench.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
On an application where you'll never be banging the receiver around, or running a high round count, a billet is plenty acceptable, and might marginally improve accuracy.  For something that just travels from the safe to the range, sure...

Forged just plain works though, I can't see a reason not to go with a quality one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the other hand, some high-end AR builders do say that the billet upper receivers are straighter and truer than the forged upper receivers which leads to a slight improvemant in accuracy/precision.  

Some high end builders are simply better salesmen looking to get every penny they can out of their customer.

No way!

Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Billet is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard of, I want to pay more for a less durable but prettier receiver

However, I don't really know how noticable this would be unless you are shooting off a bench.

Not flaming ya, but I wonder if there is any truth to this?  I realize the the 'billet' lower should be as true as the machine it was made on, but the forgings are no slouch either.  They are not coated and released immediately after forging, they still go through some finish machine work.  

Recently someone noted KAC as top tier manuf, theirs look forged to me.

(Couldn't find any documentation on the website to determine either way.)

Forged for me please.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not flaming ya, but I wonder if there is any truth to this?  I realize the the 'billet' lower should be as true as the machine it was made on, but the forgings are no slouch either.  They are not coated and released immediately after forging, they still go through some finish machine work.  

Forged for me please.

I believe I've seen posts here showing pictures how some forged upper receivers were out of square.  You should be able to check your own receivers with a flat surface and a measuring sqaure. I have no reason to believe that what they are saying isn't true.

I think the main issue isn't so much that a billet receiver is truer or straghter but rather the forged receivers did not receive as much attention to detail when the finsh machining was done.

IMHO, a forged receiver should be able to be machined just as well as the billet receiver.  It just depends on whoever is doing the final machining...

Again, I'm not really how much  practical difference this even makes for 99% of us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forged for me please.

I believe I've seen posts here showing pictures how some forged upper receivers were out of square.  You should be able to check your own receivers with a flat surface and a measuring sqaure. I have no reason to believe that what they are saying isn't true.

I think the main issue isn't so much that a billet receiver is truer or straghter but rather the forged receivers did not receive as much attention to detail when the finsh machining was done.

IMHO, a forged receiver should be able to be machined just as well as the billet receiver.  It just depends on whoever is doing the final machining...

Again, I'm not really how much  practical difference this even makes for 99% of us.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.  As a former machinist I know it's all up to the one doing the work.

I do want a LarueTac lower reallly bad though.........
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some high end builders are simply better salesmen looking to get every penny they can out of their customer.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU COULD BE SPEAKING OF.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU COULD BE SPEAKING OF.

I love reading his posts about billet.

I see no advantage of billet over forged.  I have several forged lowers and uppers but I also have a billet LaRue upper and will soon have a billet LaRue lower.  Not because they are better, just because I want one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Providing the materials used are up to what is considered "spec" (I hate that term at times) then a forging is just as good as a billet receiver.

For my self, I like both. Each has it's place depending on the user and the build. It's all preference and expense. How much do I want to spend on a particular project and will it be a "safe queen" seeing only light handling / bench time or will it be a truck gun with no mercy.

To who was mentioning KAC receivers, yes forged.

My money, my decision, and  my .02¢
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The only critical surfaces of the receiver are machined.  The outside?  Just cosmetic.  The bore of the upper is gun drilled, then honed to final diameter.  The threads are then indexed off this bore, here both are dependent on the machining.

To say a "billet" receiver is any more accurate is pure speculation.  Anyone proving either needs a rudimentary course in statistics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#18]
No rails are forged into the upper.  These HAVE to be machined.

Caps lock is cruise control for cool.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]

THE ISSUE IS REALLY NOT WHETHER THE RECEIVER IS BILLET OR FORGED. THE ISSUE IS WHETHER OR NOT THE RECEIVER IS SUFFICIENTLY CORRECT DIMENSIONALLY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE BARREL

Bingo!
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THE ISSUE IS REALLY NOT WHETHER THE RECEIVER IS BILLET OR FORGED. THE ISSUE IS WHETHER OR NOT THE RECEIVER IS SUFFICIENTLY CORRECT DIMENSIONALLY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE BARREL

Bingo!

How does the receiver have anything to do with the way the lugs lock up in the barrel extension in a properly headspaced bolt? Then you would have ignore all the slop in the carrier, which again has nothing to do with accuacy after the bolt is locked in the barrel extension.  And even IF(which it isnt) something was off (it wouldnt be enough to matter) in the lock-up, it would be  consistant so it wouldnt matter because it would lock up the same way every time.

The bullshit people eat by the spoon full here amazes me.

No kidding.  As long as the barrel is tightly held by the upper and the rifle functions, all is the same.

The upper is nothing more than a guide for the carrier and a place to mount sights.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Amen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Caps lock is cruise control for the cool...

The carrier has NOTHING to do with accuracy.  Not a bit.  A tight carrier only decreases the dirt tolerance of a rifle.

All I am concerned about it the alignement of the threads to the bore of the upper.  Everything else is adjustable.  And all of mine are FORGED.  With no measurable alignkment issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top