Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2008 12:40:51 PM EDT
Some may know that I have one of the original 10" LWRC piston uppers. I run it mainly 95% F/A and the last 10-15K have all been suppressed. The last 17-18K have only been wolf poly, 55 or 62 grain, with the 7-8k before that, 80% wolf the rest surplus. Somewhere between 25-30k have been run through my upper.

I have broken many parts on it, BCG screws, springs, gas block pins, firing pins, some other stuff read here. The good news it that most of the stuff I managed to break has been upgraded in the newer models. oh BTW LWRC has bent over backwards to fix these initial problems. Try that with HK

BUT it finally stopped running yesterday. I had it chugging along and it had a few failures to extract, It was all running very inconsistent, like me on a typewriter, vs a smooth sewing machine. Tried to run it wet- a no go.

Note: I haven't cleaned this thing either. It may have had the BCG removed and sprayed down with brake cleaner a handful of times in the last couple of years, but I never take the bolt out to clean it. It even didn't get cleaned when I sent it back for the broken BCG screws. I do lube it very well with CLP, but it still doesn't take it long to dry out with the suppressor blowback.

After taking it apart a few times, I decided to take the bolt apart and check the extractor. I figured it was about time for a new spring anyways. I found that the bolt was full, (I mean not being able to move the FP full) with red wolf primer sealant . I couldn't believe how much was in there. I didn't have a camera to take a picture but I have never seen a bolt like that and I treat my range toys like dirt. Basically it was so full that the extractor, along with the FP was gummed up. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and a red-gummy- glob of crap was dislodged. Since there was no burnt on carbon, they bolt looked brand new (except for the wear areas) after a blast of cleaner.

So all in all the LWRC upper has done well. I have abused it with mult beta dumps, and many back to back mag dump range sessions. I have broken many of the parts/springs but as I said they have been since upgraded. I'm thinking about sending it back at 50K to have LWRC  upgrade the worn parts

Lessons learned.

Take the bolt apart for cleaning, at leasts every 5K. especially if shooting sealed primers

LWRC has been more than excellent with their customer service. They continullay upgrade their product and do listen to customers.

My firing pin collars are still wearing for some strange reason, I'm now up to 5

A DI works just as well as a piston, except for F/A and/or SBR's.

IMO LWRC pistons are the best offered right now.

Just a little range report
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Great report on the LWRC.  

IMO, one should press out the extractor pin and remove the extractor after every range session with sealed primers.  This makes it very easy to eliminate the red buildup before it becomes a problem, and causes no extra wear and tear on the bolt.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!  Thank you!  I wish you had some pics though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I once had a similar problem on a Beretta pistol.  Primer sealant had built up on the bolt case so thick that  the firing pin wasn't hitting the primers hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try a round firing pin retainer for the firing pin problem.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would replace the bolt if it is still eating firing pins.

I'm waiting on the bolt to fail I thought about it but wanted to see how long it last. Its a CMT bolt BTW.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would replace the bolt if it is still eating firing pins.

I'm waiting on the bolt to fail I thought about it but wanted to see how long it last. Its a CMT bolt BTW.

You've got 25-30k through it and are still on the original bolt!!!??
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have broken many parts on it, BCG screws, springs, gas block pins, firing pins, some other stuff read here. The good news it that most of the stuff I managed to break has been upgraded in the newer models. oh BTW LWRC has bent over backwards to fix these initial problems. Try that with HK

Thanks to HK R&D and based on the track record of high round count HK416 uppers...you wouldn't have to try that with HK...because that shit doesn't happen

Anymore useless jabs you wanna throw at the 416?  

*for the record, their customer service for the last 2-3 years has been among the best in the business, coming from someone who actually owns an HK product*

Flamesuit on for the "HK is satan" crew
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks to HK R&D and based on the track record of high round count HK416 uppers...you wouldn't have to try that with HK...because that shit doesn't happen

*for the record, their customer service for the last 2-3 years has been among the best in the business, coming from someone who actually owns an HK product*

Ask em for a mag spring

If you want to start measuring HK dick them I'm game. They still won't supply me parts for my 94(MP5) or 93, no biggy I don't shoot them that much. Look at all the whining post over at hkpro-can't get this/ HK won't sell that.

My point being If the magical 416 breaks, you can't just call and get a part, you can do that with LWRC- BTW I could buy 2 uppers for the price of 1 HK and not worry about parts.

When they come down in price I will get one and run it through it paces, If its better I will come back here and post about it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2008 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never seen anybody brag about their rifle breaking NUMEROUS times. 30K isn't not a lot of rounds for a service rifle. I would stop talking crap about HK or any other company until you can stop testing LWRC's "Great Customer Service" so much. Your rifle has broke a shit load of times. You should be embarrassed for LWRC, but instead you think it's a selling point. Odd to say the least.

I have a Colt with 50,000+ though it that has never broken a single part.

Link Posted: 3/30/2008 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've never seen anybody brag about their rifle breaking NUMEROUS times. 30K isn't not a lot of rounds for a service rifle. I would stop talking crap about HK or any other company until you can stop testing LWRC's "Great Customer Service" so much. Your rifle has broke a shit load of times. You should be embarrassed for LWRC, but instead you think it's a selling point. Odd to say the least.

Give it up for fucks.  Have you read any of my lwrc post? The parts that have broken have been fixed in their newer versions.  I know you hate them, you been booted out of nearly every LWRC post that has been on this board.

You missed the whole point, LWRC has had problems, they found them and fixed them in the newer models. I'm not saying its perfect, but for a rifle thats been abused its done well IMO, If I maintained like I should, Im sure it would be a lot better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2008 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that the same 6920 you've had less than 2 years, you have a DIAS in it?

I did own a LWRC conversion for about a month. I purchased it off Sturmgewehr.com. After sitting down and figuring out that the $1295 Colt 6920 was a far better deal I resold it on Sturmgewehr at a $100 loss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Dude, I'm a Colt fan but thats plain rediculous. Either your round count is WAY off or the smoke you're blowing is not from a cigar. I'd expect ANY AR from ANY manufacturer to need parts replaced by 50K.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

....and I have a Vulcan that has 87,000 rounds through it, and it shoots 1/2" 100 shot groups all day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The last post in this thread was 6 days ago. Do you go out of your way searching LWRC threads and resurrecting them just to bash them? Weren't you the one bashing them before?

The man stated he never cleaned the rifle, runs it FA, suppressed, and has been running wolf.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
AR15.com USE to be so cool

Now its about TRASHING whatever brand someone owns or happens to like

I swear some of these guys dont even own a weapon

Man it must be fun to test out that Piston
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it up for fucks.  Have you read any of my lwrc post? The parts that have broken have been fixed in their newer versions.  I know you hate them, you been booted out of nearly every LWRC post that has been on this board.

You missed the whole point, LWRC has had problems, they found them and fixed them in the newer models. I'm not saying its perfect, but for a rifle thats been abused its done well IMO, If I maintained like I should, Im sure it would be a lot better.

Your truly delusional.

Your $2000+ wonder gun breaks (not simply malfunctions ) hard enough to require parts changing - shipping back to the shop - warranty work roughly every 4000 rounds and your bragging about it? Not to mention to attacking me? I thought I was just pointing out the obvious - that gun is FAR from reliable.

If this was meant as a shill thread it backfired.

Your info really does speak volumes. They mean more than two hundred members posting that their guns shot "700 rounds without a problem". Those posts mean nothing. Now a long term / relatively high round count test like your says a lot and the gun DID NOT perform up to acceptable reliability standards for any service rifle. Like I said it averaged a complete weapon parts failure every 4000-4200 rounds. Hell, that has to be just as bad as any ill maintained DI rifle that I've ever seen. Not to mention they cost hundreds less.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last post in this thread was 6 days ago. Do you go out of your way searching LWRC threads and resurrecting them just to bash them? Weren't you the one bashing them before?

The man stated he never cleaned the rifle, runs it FA, suppressed, and has been running wolf.

If you could look at the archive, all his post are in piston threads, usually bashing LWRC. He has praised the HK but Im sure he has never shot one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you could look at the archive, all his post are in piston threads, usually bashing LWRC. He has praised the HK but Im sure he has never shot one.

Understood. I should pony up the cash for a membership to access archives.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your truly delusional.

Your $2000+ wonder gun breaks (not simply malfunctions ) hard enough to require parts changing - shipping back to the shop - warranty work roughly every 4000 rounds and your bragging about it? Not to mention to attacking me? I thought I was just pointing out the obvious - that gun is FAR from reliable.

If this was meant as a shill thread it backfired.

Your info really does speak volumes. They mean more than two hundred members posting that their guns shot "700 rounds without a problem". Those posts mean nothing. Now a long term / relatively high round count test like your says a lot and the gun DID NOT perform up to acceptable reliability standards for any service rifle. Like I said it averaged a complete weapon parts failure every 4000-4200 rounds. Hell, that has to be just as bad as any ill maintained DI rifle that I've ever seen. Not to mention they cost hundreds less.

First off its not 2000, I believe it was 1260 IIRC. not much off a good DI upper

4000 average rounds between a abused rifle failing is good in my book. For what ive done to it, thats not bad
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No breakage after over 50,000 rounds of wolf ammo suppressed on FULL-AUTO and without cleaning?        Now THAT is damn impressive!!  Have you contacted Colt about this feat?  Maybe they'll replace your AR with a new one and put yours in their factory museum.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I swear just when I forget about loomis back he comes.

Hi Loomis...be sure and tell PLW hi for us all!
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IMO LWRC pistons are the best offered right now.

I've looked that them, and they are well designed.  There is one or two areas that I do not understand the "why's" about yet.

Piston systems on gas rifles make the best sense.  I'd like to try a before and after test to see how accuracy is effected with the use of a piston.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#27]
ost
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask em for a mag spring

If you want to start measuring HK dick them I'm game. They still won't supply me parts for my 94(MP5) or 93, no biggy I don't shoot them that much. Look at all the whining post over at hkpro-can't get this/ HK won't sell that.

My point being If the magical 416 breaks, you can't just call and get a part, you can do that with LWRC- BTW I could buy 2 uppers for the price of 1 HK and not worry about parts.

When they come down in price I will get one and run it through it paces, If its better I will come back here and post about it.

I have never had any problems finding any HK parts for any HK gun.

I dont use HK M16 mags.  Don't like them, dont need them.

Good news is, 416's dont have parts breaking every 4k rounds, and thats that.

Im on HKpro all the time, and anytime there is an "I cant find this" thread, the OP simply isn't looking in the right place.  It is NOT hard to find HK parts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Im on HKpro all the time, and anytime there is an "I cant find this" thread, the OP simply isn't looking in the right place.  It is NOT hard to find HK parts.

You're one of the lucky ones.  One of the local PDs had to wait 9 months for a "recoil spring clip" (if I remember it right) for their issue HK USP.  I've heard of other departments waiting much longer (up to 2 years) and individuals who could not even get anywhere to order a broken part.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're one of the lucky ones.  One of the local PDs had to wait 9 months for a "recoil spring clip" (if I remember it right) for their issue HK USP.  I've heard of other departments waiting much longer (up to 2 years) and individuals who could not even get anywhere to order a broken part.

BS.

Their are at least two dozen HK dealers who can supply most any HK part immediately. Plus HK has been very good with their new customer service. As a matter of fact Center Mass Firearms advertises HK416 parts for sale everyday.  

www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=217795

New factory German HK as follows. Call for best service and
same day shipping, 702-558-7890 store. Try us for all you HK
part needs. Visa, MC, Discover and Amex add 3%.

www.CenterMassFirearms.com

HK 416 Front Sight $150 + S&H
HK 416 Rear Sight (10") $150 + S&H
HK 416 Rear Sight (14.5") $150 + S&H
HK 416 Firing Pin $28 + S&H
HK 416 Recoil Buffer & Spring $140 + S&H
HK 416 Gas Piston w/rings $50 + S&H
HK 416 Gas Piston Rod asm $85 + S&H
HK 416 Firing Pin Spring $12 + S&H

Thanks, Reed Asay

Center Mass Firearms
C2 SOT/ FFL Dealer
HK Authorized Premier Dealer
HK LE/ Class III Dealer
HK Certified Armorer
702-558-7890 Store
Mon-Sat 10-6pm PST
Sunday 12-6pm PST

Personally, I think this "HK has bad customer service" BS is just the new angle for trolls and "competitor" company shills to bad mouth HK. It's obvious none of them have ever actually tried to get a part from HK recently or from one of their dealers.  

Like Marksman14 stated, I can get anything my heart desires in less than twenty four hours.

FYI: I have no love for HK, I just get sick of reading pages after pages of BS about them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS.

Their are at least two dozen HK dealers who can supply most any HK part immediately. Plus HK has been very good with their new customer service. As a matter of fact Center Mass Firearms advertises HK416 parts for sale everyday.  

Thanks, Reed Asay

Center Mass Firearms
C2 SOT/ FFL Dealer
HK LE/ Class III Dealer
HK Certified Armorer
702-558-7890 Store
Mon-Sat 10-6pm PST
Sunday 12-6pm PST

Personally, I think this "HK has bad customer service" BS is just the new angle for trolls and "competitor" company shills to bad mouth HK. It's obvious none of them have ever actually tried to get a part from HK recently or from one of their dealers.  

Like Marksman14 stated, I can get anything my heart desires in less than twenty four hours.

FYI: I have no love for HK, I just get sick of reading pages after pages of BS about them.

So is the colt you bought last year or whenever it was the one you have put 50,000 rds through?
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noone I know says the same. The one friend I have who has a penchant for H&K's overpriced stuff once called and asked for a manual for his H&K USP. He was told one would be sent right away, gave his addy, ect.

Never arrived.

Replacement parts for an H&K? What are those, buy a new one.

When my friend's USP40 had a pin back out in the frame (I am not sure which one, but it was dragging on the slide, or would have had he not caught it), he just pushed it back in and pretended it never happened. My SIG? If I have ANY PROBLEMS with it, I give Ken a call, I get a shipping lable in my e-mail 15 minutes later, and 4-5 business days after I recieve that shipping lable, my weapon is returned fixed.

My Sabre AR? I called Talon Arms after verifying that yes, the bolt was shaving inordinate amounts of brass...guess what? New Bolt in the mail the next day.

Weapons are imperfect machines made by imperfect beings, THEY WILL ALL BREAK. How the company and dealer that sold it to you reacts to the situation is what sets them apart.

Sorry, just not an H&K fan from the CS standpoint.

LWRC on the other hand hosts machinegun shoots, invites people to them, listens to the customers, and puts out a good product which they have never as far as I have observed failed to FULLY back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Lets hear about the can with 20-30k, how is it holdin up??
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS.

Thanks, Reed Asay

Center Mass Firearms
C2 SOT/ FFL Dealer
HK LE/ Class III Dealer
HK Certified Armorer
702-558-7890 Store
Mon-Sat 10-6pm PST
Sunday 12-6pm PST

So is the colt you bought last year or whenever it was the one you have put 50,000 rds through?

Yeah, over 50K in one year with a semi auto 6920 is a LOT of shooting!
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not here to talk shit about LWRC but here is a Colt with well over 50,000 through it, mostly wolf and semi-auto. It has needed one or two firing pins, bolt cam, gas rings, extractor spring/insert, the usual. One thing I will say is that the gas tube roll pin will not come out and it has only been cleaned once in the last 3-4 years and the head space is getting a little scary.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Can a gun with 20,000 shoot with average accuracy, not to mention 50,000 are the bullets tumbling out the end of the barrell? What kind of acceptable accuracy is something like that going to give? Not calling anyone a lier I just did not realize that ar barrels last that long, even crome lined.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Can a gun with 20,000 shoot with average accuracy, not to mention 50,000 are the bullets tumbling out the end of the barrell? What kind of acceptable accuracy is something like that going to give? Not calling anyone a lier I just did not realize that ar barrels last that long, even crome lined.

That rifle gets 2-3" groups with Wolf with the cheater sight on top. I did say that it was shot semi-auto. If it was fired on F/A I dont think the barrel or accuracy would have lasted this long.

Another thing I forgot to mention is when you pull the charging handle back there is NO resistance. You don't feel the normal tug of the bolt unlocking, It's like glass.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That rifle gets 2-3" groups with Wolf with the cheater sight on top. I did say that it was shot semi-auto. If it was fired on F/A I dont think the barrel or accuracy would have lasted this long.

Thats good to know cause I can't aford 50,000 rounds any time soon
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats good to know cause I can't aford 50,000 rounds any time soon

That amount was fired over a long period of time. Almost all in Defensive Edge classes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a couple of LWRC uppers , good stuff.

They certainly are friendly people to deal with, and have some VERY good gunsmiths working for them.

I have moved on to HKs now , and have nothing bad to say about either company.

The pistons have spoiled my cleaning routine, soooo easy to clean.

When I do have to clean a regular gas gun , I wear a look of disgust.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some may know that I have one of the original 10" LWRC piston uppers. I run it mainly 95% F/A and the last 10-15K have all been suppressed. The last 17-18K have only been wolf poly, 55 or 62 grain, with the 7-8k before that, 80% wolf the rest surplus. Somewhere between 25-30k have been run through my upper.

<Darth Vader>
Impressive......Most Impressive
</Darth Vader>

That is alot of ammo.

If I ran a car rental service I woudn't rent to you even with cash up front.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm not here to talk shit about LWRC but here is a Colt with well over 50,000 through it, mostly wolf and semi-auto. It has needed one or two firing pins, bolt cam, gas rings, extractor spring/insert, the usual. One thing I will say is that the gas tube roll pin will not come out and it has only been cleaned once in the last 3-4 years and the head space is getting a little scary.
i31.tinypic.com/nbyr8y.jpg

The equivalent of the gas tube roll pin on my LWRC cant come out either... its staked in place as are all current LWRC rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top