Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 89 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Those range flags bring back memories...

ETA: Son of a... Fine!... top post - whatever - Here's a pic of most of my A4s in various states of dress or undress...six of them anyway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

Those range flags bring back memories...

ETA: Son of a... Fine!... top post - whatever - Here's a pic of most of my A4s in various states of dress or undress...six of them anyway.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/IMAG0717.jpg
View Quote

That is a nice collection!!  I don't know why the 20" A4 type rifles aren't more popular.  I love how smooth they shoot.  Nice rifles!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered my P&S rail and VCAS today.  So hope to have some pictures up once I get them.  Now that I've finished this one with a carry handle I've decided to do another with an ACOG.  That will take some time to save the funds for the optic though
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#5]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Ordered my P&S rail and VCAS today.  So hope to have some pictures up once I get them.  Now that I've finished this one with a carry handle I've decided to do another with an ACOG.  That will take some time to save the funds for the optic though
View Quote

***As I'm sure you are now aware... The M16A4 strain of Black Rifle Disease (known here as simply BRD4) is a notorious wallet-killer and is virtually impossible to ...completely cure. I'd advise that you take a picture of your wallet right now, for it will never again appear as full or healthy as it does at this moment.***

On a more serious note though, even as expensive as the TA31RCO-A4 ACOGs typically are - They're worth every penny. No batteries required, Tough as nails housing. & 4x magnification definitely helps, especially on older eyes (like mine). The real fun though begins when you start getting into Visible & IR lasers and Night Vision optics & accessories... Pretty soon you find yourself saying: "Self, we don't have enough A4 clones to dress out using all these different optics, lights, lasers, slings, grips, pouches & other odds & ends"... "Now where'd we leave our wallet, Self?"....

ETA: Here's a small hint of ...a few A4-type related things that I'm working toward, or on...as it were.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]

***As I'm sure you are now aware... The M16A4 strain of Black Rifle Disease (known here as simply BRD4) is a notorious wallet-killer and is virtually impossible to ...completely cure. I'd advise that you take a picture of your wallet right now, for it will never again appear as full or healthy as it does at this moment.***

On a more serious note though, even as expensive as the TA31RCO-A4 ACOGs typically are - They're worth every penny. No batteries required, Tough as nails housing. & 4x magnification definitely helps, especially on older eyes (like mine). The real fun though begins when you start getting into Visible & IR lasers and Night Vision optics & accessories... Pretty soon you find yourself saying: "Self, we don't have enough A4 clones to dress out using all these different optics, lights, lasers, slings, grips, pouches & other odds & ends"... "Now where'd we leave our wallet, Self?"....

ETA: Here's a small hint of ...a few A4-type related things that I'm working toward, or on...as it were.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/IMAG0726.jpg
View Quote

You really need to change your avatar.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#7]
For reference regarding Army M16A4's...

Right before my battalion (light infantry, 10th Mountain) deployed to Afghanistan in 06 we got an M16A4 per squad for the designated marksman.  I believe they were FN's.  Previous to those M16's showing up we all had M4's (other than the guys with SAW's, 240's, etc).  All the M4's had M68's except the squad leaders who had TA31F's with red chevrons.

Our M16A4's had ACOG's (TA31's, red chevron, no horizontal stadia lines), MaTech rear sights, M5 RAS, Versa-Pods with raptor feet, and PEQ-2's.  The ACOG's we got with the rifles predated the M150's.

A few had ACOG's go down. Those rifles got M68s (Comp M2's with slant base QRP mount) and stayed in service.

I'll try to dig up some pictures tomorrow if I can find any.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:

Right before my battalion (light infantry, 10th Mountain) deployed to Afghanistan in 06 we got an M16A4 per squad for the designated marksman.  I believe they were FN's.  Previous to those M16's showing up we all had M4's (other than the guys with SAW's, 240's, etc).  All the M4's had M68's except the squad leaders who had TA31F's with red chevrons.

Our M16A4's had ACOG's (TA31's, red chevron, no horizontal stadia lines), MaTech rear sights, M5 RAS, Versa-Pods with raptor feet, and PEQ-2's.  The ACOG's we got with the rifles predated the M150's.

A few had ACOG's go down. Those rifles got M68s (Comp M2's with slant base QRP mount) and stayed in service.

View Quote

Can you discuss how effective the A4 was as a DMR? I dunno why but I find it interesting that they were used in that role....
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#9]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

Can you discuss how effective the A4 was as a DMR? I dunno why but I find it interesting that they were used in that role....
View Quote

Im not really sure where they came from or who made the call to get them. From what I remember, a few guys went to an AMU designated marksman course at Benning and the M16s showed up awhile later.  

I dont know if they were something advocated by the AMU or if our guys that went saw the SDM-R's there and talked the Sergeant Major into trying to make a ghetto version with readily available stuff.

In my opinion, the main advantage they had over the M4's was just the optic.  The ACOGs were way better in Afghanistan compared to the M68's most of us had at that time.

All our guys that were Marines prior to seeing the light and going Army loved them though
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#10]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:
View Quote
Yes, there have been sooo many changes in the now almost 20 years that the A4 has been in use (in one role or another) with the various services. Speaking of PEQ-2's - Check this out. It's one of the first PEQ-2's ever produced. This one from @ Jan of 2001.

Attachment Attached File

I know this is veering off topic, but notice a number of differences between it & the later (PEQ-2A/B), namely the fact that:
1 - it has no provision for a training safety block (the blue/black plastic piece normally found on the top surface just forward of the switch), and the indicator light is instead centered in this location.
2 - it used stickers that look exactly like those of modern Airsoft versions (all the "danger" warnings are contained inside red-colored circle rather than them being in green printing (early war years), or as the later-styled  inside of solid red bars.
3 - the vertical/horizontal adjustment nobs are 'open-topped', rather than the later covered-style w/ indicator windows.
&
4 - the battery covers are early short style (same as those of modern airsoft junk) rather than the longer, later style.

You know, I think I might just have to write a book on the A4, because there are just so many nuances to every aspect of each component & accessory used on, or in conjunction with the M16A4 over the last 20 years...
I wonder how well it would sell...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Yes, there have been sooo many changes in the now almost 20 years that the A4 has been in use (in one role or another) with the various services. Speaking of PEQ-2's - Check this out. It's one of the first PEQ-2's ever produced. This one from @ Jan of 2001.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/OriginalPEQ2.jpg

I know this is veering off topic, but notice a number of differences between it & the later (PEQ-2A/B), namely the fact that:
1 - it has no provision for a training safety block (the blue/black plastic piece normally found on the top surface just forward of the switch), and the indicator light is instead centered in this location.
2 - it used stickers that look exactly like those of modern Airsoft versions (all the "danger" warnings are contained inside red-colored circle rather than them being in green printing (early war years), or as the later-styled  inside of solid red bars.
3 - the vertical/horizontal adjustment nobs are 'open-topped', rather than the later covered-style w/ indicator windows.
&
4 - the battery covers are early short style (same as those of modern airsoft junk) rather than the longer, later style.

You know, I think I might just have to write a book on the A4, because there are just so many nuances to every aspect of each component & accessory used on, or in conjunction with the M16A4 over the last 20 years...
I wonder how well it would sell...
View Quote

I would buy it, it would be interesting, not going to lie lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Great info.
Can you tell me if the A-4 lower was burst marked or auto. Looks to be auto here. I would like my build to be correct. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#13]
Originally Posted By Strontium:
Great info.
Can you tell me if the A-4 lower was burst marked or auto. Looks to be auto here. I would like my build to be correct. Thanks
View Quote

Burst. To elaborate-

M16A1 = Auto
M16A2 = Burst
M16A3 = Auto
M16A4 = Burst

M4 Carbine = Burst
M4A1 Carbine = Auto
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
View Quote

What would you suggest I change it to
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Burst. To elaborate-

M16A1 = Auto
M16A2 = Burst
M16A3 = Auto
M16A4 = Burst

M4 Carbine = Burst
M4A1 Carbine = Auto
View Quote

Thanks!
I'll be posting pics when I complete my build.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
P&S Rail and Vickers sling arrived

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#17]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#18]
Don't remember if I posted this.......What you build when bored with no broken guns coming in.

CD
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Don't remember if I posted this.......What you build when bored with no broken guns coming in.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/12966009_262746617398356_307011797_n.jpg

CD
View Quote

Ok - I gotta know - Why do you never completely install the upper rails on the carbines that you post pictures of. I mean - on every one I've ever seen you post, the top rail is never locked down in the back, so I have to ask - Why is that?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:52:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#20]

Ok - I gotta know - Why do you never completely install the upper rails on the carbines that you post pictures of. I mean - on every one I've ever seen you post, the top rail is never locked down in the back, so I have to ask - Why is that?
View Quote

I was lazy  Some RAS takes extra finesse to fit.  Just assembled the uppers for a photo op and then break it back down.  Some fit without issues.  Normally don't have RAS as I normally install the DD RIS.

CD
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: firedog51d] [#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A pile of a4 clones.  Something like this that you posted  earlier would be fitting.  I keep eyeing a Colt a4 at the LGS.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#22]
A pile of a4 clones.  Something like this that you posted  earlier would be fitting.  I keep eyeing a Colt a4 at the LGS.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/IMAG0717.jpg
View Quote

I probably will change it to something like that soon. I'm just waiting on a few more items to show up before I do...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Slowly but surely.  P&S rail and Vickers sling attached

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

My a4 clone now night vision ready thanks to a stream light tlr-2 eyesafe  class 1 ir laser & ir LED good to 200 meters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
had some requests for photos of FN receivers-back to front

M16A2 dated 03/10

M16A4 dated 10/05

M16A4 dated 06/14

M4       dated 02/16

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/F_marks.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/F_marks_cu.JPG
only M4 is marked for Carbine receiver cuts, all others have rifle cuts
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Front_of_receivers.JPG
T marks
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/T_marks.JPG
and bolt carrier
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/F_marked_BCG.JPG

CD
View Quote

Have a question on this old post - since most of the uppers do not have M4 ramps I assume the barrels do not either? Or are they mismatched?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you have any photos of FN Lower Receivers and including a FN M4A1 Lowers?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
Do you have any photos of FN Lower Receivers and including a FN M4A1 Lowers?
View Quote

No, 99% receivers I see in SOCOM are Colts M4A1s.  Only other was a old H&R M16A1 converted to Mk18 Mod 0.  Never seen a FN receiver in SOCOM for some strange reason.  Thats working on all SF Groups, several SEAL teams, MARSOC and AFSOC.  Granted that wasn't every single gun but a good sampling.

CD
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:34:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#29]
Originally Posted By Jax_Guns:

Have a question on this old post - since most of the uppers do not have M4 ramps I assume the barrels do not either? Or are they mismatched?
View Quote

M4 marked uppers with with M4 barrels (10.3", 14.5" Govt profile and 14.5" SOCOM).  Non went unto M16 barrels with rifle cuts.  MARSOC still has bunch M16s for their support personnel.

CD
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, it doesn't have an ACOG, but here is the A4 build I've recently completed. I'll have an ACOG some day...

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Thinking I need to build one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Brownells 'surplus' P&S rails. They're in decent shape I assume?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:
Thinking I need to build one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Brownells 'surplus' P&S rails. They're in decent shape I assume?
View Quote
I have one on mine.  They're brand new they're not used or "surplus".  Contract over run is probably the better term
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quick question, how will the LOP be for me with an A2 stock. I'm 5.5" tall, and up till This point I have never shouldered an A1/A2 stock. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#34]
Originally Posted By RJC1977:
Quick question, how will the LOP be for me with an A2 stock. I'm 5.5" tall, and up till This point I have never shouldered an A1/A2 stock. Thanks guys
View Quote
An A1 stock is likely to be more comfortable for you.  Here is short guy with A2

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Awesome, is the A1 clone correct.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RJC1977:
Awesome, is the A1 clone correct.
View Quote
For an M16A4, no.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Charles_P_S:
Well, it doesn't have an ACOG, but here is the A4 build I've recently completed. I'll have an ACOG some day...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/charlesschenkbecher/IMG_1655_zpst31a97lc.jpg
View Quote
looks nice those 5 rib panels are nice on the M5 RAIL
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cone256:

I have one on mine.  They're brand new they're not used or "surplus".  Contract over run is probably the better term
View Quote
perfect, appreciate it. Will purchase!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#39]
Off the interwebz...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Off the interwebz...
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Dayum nice.
FDC, you da best. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#41]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/charlesschenkbecher/IMG_1655_zpst31a97lc.jpg
View Quote
Looks good. That purple Matech is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#42]
What is the best quality A2 Stock kit should I look for to buy for my A4 Build? I picked up cheap a P&S Products which is a perfect copy and must be a Sub Contracter for KAC M5 Rail to keep-up with the US ARMY & USMC M5 needs for the rail. It was marked down cheap in Brownells.com
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#43]
What is the best quality A2 Stock kit should I look for to buy for my A4 Build? I picked up cheap a P&S Products which is a perfect copy and must be a Sub Contracter for KAC M5 Rail to keep-up with the US ARMY & USMC M5 needs for the rail. It was marked down cheap in Brownells.com
View Quote
I seen a few on eGay yesterday - original Colts says he - go check it out!
Search string was "Colt A2" - good luck. 

Don't settle for anything less than Colt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
White oak armory sells them
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#45]
What is the best quality A2 Stock kit should I look for to buy for my A4 Build?
View Quote
Best quality is somewhat of a relative term, however, there are several manufacturers that produce a good quality A2 stock assembly - Among them are:

Armalite
Colt
LMT
Remmington/Bushmaster/Dpms
White Oak Armory
Windam Weapons
PSA

There are others, but these are among the more prevalent.

Some things to note:

1 - Most A2 stocks produced these days include a plastic trap door assembly in the stock (originals were made of aluminum).
2 - Also, some use plastic A2 extension spacers rather than the original-style aluminum ones. (Dpms used to use aluminum, though I don't know if the current Remmington-owned brand still comes in aluminum or not.)
3 - The top three in the list have receiver extensions which are grey(ish) in color (like the originals) whereas most others these days are anodized in plain black color.
4 - it used to be that a number of these receiver extensions were not made of T7075 aluminum, though nowadays most are made of T7075. Check before you purchase. Colt, Armalite, & LMT definitely use T7075 rec. extensions.
5 - While the stock bodies & receiver extensions themselves are the same between .308 & 5.56 use - The springs & buffers are different between the two. Always be sure you are purchasing the correct spring & buffer (AR15/M16/5.56) for your application.

Myself - I tend to purchase the individual components separately... IE: aluminum stock spacers from whomever has them at the time, T7075 receiver extensions from either LMT, Colt, or Armalite (the ones I have ordered a year or so ago from Bushmaster (Remmington-owned) were greyish T7075 units though not sure if current ones are still the same), Aluminum trap doors from AR15Sport or whomever has them at the time, springs & buffers from Brownells (usually Colt or DPMS brands), & Stock bodies from either Colt, LMT, White Oak, or original DPMS(non-Remminton).

Hope this helps you.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't recommend an Armalite A2 stock. The one I'd gotten wasn't foam-filled and appeared cheap. But, that was a few years ago.

I'd go with the other sources FL Dive Cop suggested.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#47]
What about a FN -FNH A2 Buttstock complete kit, if I can buy it from them?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#48]
What about a FN -FNH A2 Buttstock complete kit, if I can buy it from them?
View Quote
Getting individual parts from FN is kinda like.... pulling teeth. Best of Luck to you in your search.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MacManus] [#49]

View Quote
Hey y'all.  I'm working on turning my dissipator into an M16A4 inspired dissy.  Anybody have any more info on these sling mounts?^^  

I've been googling and scoured Blue Force Gear's website with no luck (found stuff close but not quite it)  ETA: the "correct" ones seem to have "keepers" that hook into the front FSB sling mount and the rear stock sling mount, is that right?  Anyway- my google-fu has failed me.

Anybody that can point me in the right direction is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 89 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top