Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2006 2:42:19 PM EDT
I have a new RRA Entry Tactical which I plan on breaking in in the near future. I have a Wilson Combat Lo mount and Burris Fullfield II Tactical arriving Wed. If space permits, I will put an ARMS 40L under the scope. I have 60 rounds of Fed AE 55gr FMJ, 60 rounds Remington 55gr FMJ, Georgia Arms reloads, and Quat. mil. surplus 55gr. FMJ. I plan on zeroing with the AE, bore snake and swab afer every 10 rounds, using up the Federal, and do the same with the Remington, Quat, and Georgia Arms. I have 4 new NHMTG mags (20 round). Am I making this too complicated and should just shoot whatever? Comments?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Am I making this too complicated and should just shoot whatever?

Thanks

Yes
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, Ok. Time to buy some Wolf.

Thanks Greener

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's what I did for my first AR.

I loaded up all magazines with Fed AE 223 55g FMJ and zero'd the rifle. Then, I kept shooting. I shot about 200rds through the rifle. No cleaning in between or anything. Of course, I cleaned & lubed afterwards. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Damn, Ok. Time to buy some Wolf.

Thanks Greener

Wolf might not be a real good idea, since it is underpowered, compared to most other loads.
Any milsurp would be good though, or perhaps Winchester white box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you are trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it...just shoot it. I tried the whole break-in thing myself with my chrome moly barrel and I think it was a waste of time. Just stay away from laqured coated/steel casings, corrosive primers, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot every round you mentioned and then clean your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I clean and lube well, fire a 120 rnds and clean and lube again. There is usually a lot parkerizing off the bolt and other crud come loose in the first few mags
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased my first AR, a Bushmaster Predator. The manual stated that the break in was 20 rds between cleanings, for the first  60 rds, and use JB bore paste when cleaning. I am OK with this, as I can check the copper fowling. I don't know what hand lapping costs, but if you buy the kit ie: Tubbs, load the bullets, clean in between segments. I think you would be better off with a Smith lapping for you, should your break in not be favorable.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Greener, Zoot, and GetDown.

My remark about the Wolf wasn't  really serious. Figure it out as I go. It'll be fun. Zero the iron's. Zero the scope. Clean it up when I get home. I'll let you folks know how it goes. Thanks for the info.

LBV
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top