Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/6/2004 6:10:43 PM EDT
I need the sturdiest, most comfortable, durable rail covers...

Which would hit all these areas?

Thanks,

Mac
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have MagPul covers and they work great.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
magpul or tango down
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Another for the Magpul covers. Very durable and easy to install and customize.
Link Posted: 11/7/2004 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Tango Down
Link Posted: 11/7/2004 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tango Down

Yup.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2004 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
 I use the Bushmaster covers and while I seriously doubt they make them, they are very good.

Photo from bushmaster web page
Link Posted: 11/7/2004 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for Magpul on comfort So far mine are holding up well, KAC are very durable as I recall, The Tango down panels look and feel pretty durable, The Bushmaster panels are the ones from YHM Rubber I think.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics of TD, KAC, and Magpul?
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Newbie Question:  I want a rail system and I am not sure if I want a full SIR system.  What is the rail system called above in the pic, and who makes them?  Do I have to remove the front sight to install, or better yet how do you install.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Newbie Question:  I want a rail system and I am not sure if I want a full SIR system.  What is the rail system called above in the pic, and who makes them?  Do I have to remove the front sight to install, or better yet how do you install.

I believe the one in the pic is a YHM free float.  Yes, you have to remove the front sight base to install it.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
back up...

Ok so I'm looking for some good rail panels as well. I'm liking the Knights and the Tango's, but how do the Tango's or the Magpuls compare to the Knights as far as "low profile" is concerned?
I really like the clean design/look of the Tango's but what's with the two cuts in the end of each panel? I'm guessing that's the "locking" part of the panel??

Quite a few of the pics that I see of the Magpuls make the rail covers look like they are quite tall.
Can anyone give input to their own personal experience(s)  with the Knights vs. the Tango's vs. the Mags??

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Magpul rules!
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The Magpuls are very comfortabel to me not any larger than knights IMHO better texture and grip
They simply snap on which is nice they survived a dual beta dump on Saturday with no melting...
Tango Down have to be slid on from front or back kinda tough in some instances extremely tight and secure though. Knights are very durable but they do have a tendency to rattle if the clip gets too loose.
Magpuls on this one. I know small picture.....
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a huge fan of the Magpul XT and ladder panels, by my preference is the TD. They're both very reasonably priced, why not pick up 3 of each and see which works best for you? IMHO, that's the only way to do it

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got my first rail panels.  Mine are Tango Down in OD green.  They are much sturdier than I had imagined and lock tightly into place.  I see no reason to order the other brands.  

The only negative I found with TD is that you can't put them on top of the rifle (at least not easily). I'm not really sure why you'd want one on top of the rifle (as the whole point is to have a rail there).  But I just tried it for kicks and grins and the TD would not flex enough to slide onto the top rail (without removing the front sight block).  
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul XT's here.  they are easy to cut to size and stay put.

Link Posted: 11/12/2004 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#18]
"........sturdiest, most comfortable, durable rail covers."

Comfortable?  

The sturdiest is KAC.  Magpul pops on and then pops off when you don't want it too.  Any rail cover that slides on and snap locks is place would be what I want for "active" use of your carbine.  

I've had Magpuls but they came off when I used my sling to transistion my carbine out of the way in order to draw my pistol.  One cover got caught on my web gear and poped off.  It didn't help any that it was out in the hot sun all day.   Hasn't happed with my KAC's.  

Edited to add:  I just found out there is a new version of the Magpul cover that is stiffer than the ones I originally used.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2004 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Tango Down

Quoted:
Yup.  

Quoted:
"........sturdiest, most comfortable, durable rail covers."

...The sturdiest is KAC.  Magpul pops on and then pops off when you don't want it too.  Any rail cover that slides on and snap locks is place would be what I want for "active" use of your carbine...

KAC's reported to have cold weather/britleness issues...

For Hard panels TD's your winner; less expensive, designs available for tape switches, and better polymer formula for heat and cold.

/S2

Link Posted: 11/12/2004 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

the one in the photo may be the YHM free float version as was stated above, but they (Bushmaster) carry one that is not a free float version, and does not require all the fuss of FSB removal etc....just like swapping out handguards..........

SEE IT HERE
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the above picture is a YHM free float forearm and therefore requires the removal of the FSB and disassembly of your upper.  BUT YHM also makes a two piece four rail handguard system that's a simple drop in installation and it has a rock solid fit -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights344.jpg

Nope the one in the picture referenced is the two piece unit non free float with magpul XT panels which I have on 3 different weapons and they do not "pop" off you would have to do some pulling to get them off there accidently you can cut them to fit and they will still stay on. The TD panels while durable are tough to get on or off the YHM rails fit very tight which is a good thing so I figure you could cut them to fit as well and rest assured they would not depart unexpectedly.  KAC while I like them do tend to rattle which I don't like. I like the grip and feel of my Magpuls.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the one in the photo may be the YHM free float version as was stated above, but they (Bushmaster) carry one that is not a free float version, and does not require all the fuss of FSB removal etc....just like swapping out handguards..........

SEE IT HERE

That seems a little expensive, I figured it would be cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Magpuls look the best.  The others look like crap.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Sturdiest and most durable?   TangoDown

Link Posted: 11/12/2004 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]

AFSOC, I was intending to refer to this pic -

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/BMcovers.jpg

Oops! After all I did get mine from you! Thanks by the way and for everyone else Bright Flashlights has THE deal on YHM!
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Sturdiest - KAC all the way until something better comes out.  Most comfortable is a concept that I cannot grasp - my hands are way too rough to feel "comfort" on a rail cover.  I guess I have comfort in the fact that when properly installed, they won't come off and they are as sturdy as any of the others out there and battle proven over and over.  Except for a few cosmetic, low profile ladders, KAC is the only thing I use.

Rail covers that pop on easily also, you guessed it, pop off easily as well.  I will never put those on anything I own.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#30]
M11293,

All the posts here have excellent info. I just wanted to throw my .02 in here if you needed any more information.  Because I didn't know very much about the rail covers before I started buying them, I ended up with a bunch of them. They are relatively inexpensive (about $10-$12 each) so it doesn't cost too much to experiment.

These are the original MagPul rail panels and they are still my favorite.  I wish MagPul still made them since they look the best and snapped onto the rails very tightly.  Another very nice bonus was that they came pre-cut in sections so you could snap them on/off to fit easily to accomodate all that AR bling.

These are the newer MagPul rail panels.  They are textured compared to the older smooth ones.  For some reason, these don't seem to snap as tight but they do look pretty nice.

These are the TangoDown battle covers that I recently acquired. I haven't had too much time to feel these out but I can tell you that these are the sturdiest.  It's like snapping a block of plastic on your rails instead of just panels.  They mount very securely since they're a single piece panel.  The only thing I don't like about them is that you have to slide them onto the rail by lifting up the tab.

I had some Knight rail panels previously but I sold those.  They were only okay and I didn't get a chance to take any good pics.

Anyway, I hope this helps you.  You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far!
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
AFSOC and bigkracka,

Apparently you guys got range queens and never have seen any real action to test your gear.   In that case what ever looks cool or is cheapest is best for your application.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#32]
KAC's are the standard to be judged by (and the most secure and proper feeling to boot)!
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Pics of TD, KAC, and Magpul?

Left to right:  Magpul, TD, KAC

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:  "FYI -As of 2 months ago Magpul XT Panels are being made with a higher stiffness of plastic and should lock in more firmly than the originals.

I had the older version of the Magpul rail covers.   I didn't know there was a newer version.  I will not  make any more comments about  them in any future posts.  I will edit my original post in this thread to reflect that I had the older version.

I do have a Magpul stock and think it's the best designed, sturdiest, most comfortable, durable stock out on the market.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Rambosky
Sorry bud but you were incorrect in your assessment of my carbine use.
No harm done I have just not encountered your problem. I probably use a different sling or rigging.
I would like to see Magpul use a firmer stiffer plastic in the XTs still though.
I have used Knights panels they are second to none however I would like to see a little more texture on them as they are rather smooth I use gloves so soft is not what I need but I do like the grip afforded by the XTs. They are also more useful than any of the ladder types out there
Knights makes panels in several sizes so there is no need to cut them and I would say TD should do the same with theirs. I just noticed that the Carbine in my picture looks like an add for Magpul!
I don't use anything except the panels and stock though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all of the pictures, I'm glad that I held up on this purchase for a few days. I thought I was dead set on the Knights, but the Tango Downs seem to have it clinched.

oh yeah..can we sticky this thread?
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#38]
i have the magpuls on my yhm rails and love them
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Magpuls look the best.  The others look like crap.

+1 I like the Magpuls on my YHM Midlength FF
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Strongest?

1. KAC
2. Tango Down
3. Magpul

Most comfortable?

1. Magpul
2. Tango Down
3.  KAC

Tightest fit?

1. Tango down
2. KAC
3. Magpul

Best Grip/Texture?

1. Magpul
2. Tango Down
3. KAC

This is what I have concluded from the info of this thread; does this sound about right?  If this is about correct, then the lowest average score wins.

1. Tango Down
2. Magpul
3. KAC
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#41]
KAC gets my vote for rail covers. I also use the Magpul Ladders. The Magpul XT's do look the best in my opinion but they go on/come off too easy. I like the solid feel/attachment of the KAC's but I prefer the texturing of the Magpul. Function takes precedence over appearance so the KAC's stay on mine.

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#42]
My only concern with the KAC rail panels is that they are said to become loose over time.  I would through away any panels that wiggle.  

Maybe someone could write a reveiw on rail panels?  I would be glad to do it, but I'm not that experienced and I am buying more mags, panels, and optics.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Might as well post this again in this thread.  Ain't personal preference great!

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Anybody else find this arguement over sturdiness rediculous?  If they fall off it doesn't effect function.   We need a keyboard commando forum.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Anybody else find this arguement over sturdiness rediculous?  If they fall off it doesn't effect function.   We need a keyboard commando forum.

Ever try handling a hot hanguard without covers?
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
bigkracka = Keyboard Commando  
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
My only concern with the KAC rail panels is that they are said to become loose over time.

My belief is that any rail cover used on a rifle that actually sees use will get loose, especially when used in an environment where sand is as fine as talc.  No other rail cover sees as much use as the KACs, so comparing KAC to any other is sort of mute.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If they fall off it doesn't effect function.

Please take a moment to reflect on this statement.  Thanks.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:  "Sorry bud but you were incorrect in your assessment of my carbine use.     ............... I would like to see a little more texture on them as they are rather smooth I use gloves so soft is not what I need but I do like the grip afforded by the XTs. They are also more useful than any of................"

Gloves so soft???????  

No, I assessed that your use was for the range or matches.   In that case what you got will suite you fine.  My real point was that the KAC pannels are part of the SOPMPD M4 Accessory Kit that comes with the KAC Rail Interface System.   It's designed to be used in combat.  It slides on and clip locks in place.  I don't expect real operators will be as careful with thier carbines as you are.  They are under a little bit more stress.  Do you get the picture yet?  
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I still cant make my mind up.

Has anyone experienced rattling KAC panels and how to secure them?  Super-Duper sturdy?

HELP!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top