Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1567)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1567
Posted: 3/16/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
When discussing the Mk 18 / CQBR program, we can divide the history and discussion in to two distinct categories: 1) The weapon system itself / upper receiver supplied and 2) the group of accessories deployed on said weapon systems (SOPMOD).

----------

Mk 18 Mod 0 / CQBR

The M4 carbine and M16 are not ideally suited for all missions, so it was proposed that the modularity of the M16 series would allow a user to replace the upper receiver of an existing weapon with one more suitable to the task. One of two proposed special mission receivers that were planned for inclusion into the SOPMOD Block II kit, the CQBR has taken off on its own. Like the proposed Special Purpose Receiver, the Close Quarters Battle Receiver has been more or less taken on by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or just "Crane") as its own project following the CQBR's removal from the SOPMOD program. Just as the Special Purpose Receiver morphed into the Special Purpose Rifle, and was type-classified as Mk 12 Mod 0/1, the complete CQBR-equipped carbine has been type-classified as the Mk 18 Mod 0.

The purpose of the CQBR remains to provide operators with a weapon of submachine gun size, but firing a rifle cartridge, for scenarios such as VIP protection, urban warfare, and other close quarters battle (CQB) situations. The CQBR is designed to provide improvement over previous AR-15/M16-type weapons in this category. The CQBR is usually issued as a complete weapon system, and not just an upper receiver. The CQBR was once only available to Naval Special Warfare units, but the Mk 18 Mod 0 has become general issue for Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) missions and, as of 2006, for NCIS agents deploying to active combat zones.[citation needed] The Mk 18 is also used by the Coast Guard's Tactical Law Enforcement Teams, Maritime Safety and Security Teams, and Maritime Security Response Team and the United States Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operators.

Wikipedia has a good article with sources on the original CQBR/Mk 18 Mod 0 and its development.

----------

SOPMOD

The SOPMOD Program Management Office at NSWC Crane, IN, provides standardized, versatile weapons accessories to meet needs across SOF mission scenarios. These accessories increase operator survivability and lethality by enhanced weapon performance, target acquisition, signature suppression, and fire control.

The CQBR itself was originally part of the SOPMOD program as an accessory replacement upper receiver for the M4. However it was eventually separated out into its own project.

SOPMOD accessories for the M4/CQBR originally included things like the KAC RIS/RAS, SOPMOD stock, KAC M4QD suppressor, AN/PEQ-2 illuminator/laser, ECOS-N red dot, ACOG, etc

The SOPMOD program has gone through multiple minor and major evolutions throughout its lifetime. The most significant is commonly defined as "Block II" and included the introduction/replacement of accessories that met the updated needs of operators. The most visually significant "Block II" accessory is probably the replacement of the KAC rail/FSB with the  Daniel Defense RIS II free float rail with low-profile gas block. Other updates include things like the Surefire SOCOM sound suppressor, EOTech RDS (553/SU-231 & EXPS 3-0/SU-231a), LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, etc

----------

Link to docs and photo albums

Presentation on CQBR from Crane
 Operator's Manual for Mk 18 Mod 0
 SOPMOD Program Overview presentation from Crane
 Photo Album of Mk 18 Mod 0
 Photo Album of CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories

----------

Because of the long history of both the CQBR/Mk 18 and SOPMOD programs, it's common to find weapons with various mixed configurations in the field, all depending on what time and unit the weapon system belongs to. Below are a few examples with descriptions to illustrate this.

Example of a Mk 18 Mod 0 in as-issued configuration including: M16A1 surplus lower receiver, SOPMOD buttstock, KAC RIS, KAC M4QD flash hider, Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox mount, LMT rear fixed sight, CQD rear sling plate.

NSW Operator CQBRs with original SOPMOD accessories including KAC M4QD sound suppressor and AN/PEQ-2 IR Illuminator/Laser.

Member of a Combat Camera team with a CQBR with KAC RAS and M4QD flash hider but with other updated accessories from the "Block II" SOPMOD kit including SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0), EOTech G33 Magnifier, LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, Insight WMX-200.

Good example of "early" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including SU-231 (EOTech 553) and SU-233 (Insight M3x weaponlight).

Example of a more "modern" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including the updated SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0) and Insight WMX-200 weaponlight.

Many times certain configurations are common within certain branches/groups. Here a Marine Raider is seen with a CQBR with an AN/PEQ-16 (USMC issued vs. the LA-5/PEQ SOCOM issued ATPIAL) and KAC NT4 suppressor (vs. the current Surefire SOCOM suppressor).

----------

Building a clone

If you're interested in building a "clone" of a Mk 18 or CQBR equipped M4A1, here is a basic parts list to use as a guide and get you started. This list is not exhaustive and see the * note above regarding personalized accessories.

| Mk 18 Mod 0                      | M4A1 CQBR Block I                   | M4A1 CQBR Block II                                      
Lower Receiver         | Mil-spec forged A1               | Mil-spec forged A2                  | Mil-spec forged A2                                      
Stock                  | Gen 1 SOPMOD (Black)             | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others       | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others                            
Pistol Grip            | A1                               | A2, ERGO & others                   | A2, ERGO & others                                        
Rear Sling Plate       | CQD                              | CQD                                 | CQD                                                      
Upper Receiver         | Mil-spec forged M4 profile       | Mil-spec forged M4 profile          | Mil-spec forged M4 profile                              
Barrel                 | 10.3"                            | 10.3"                               | 10.3"                                                    
Rail                   | KAC RIS                          | KAC RAS                             | DD Mk18 RIS II (FDE)                                    
Rear BUIS              | LMT Fixed                        | LMT Fixed, MATECH, & others         | MATECH, KAC 300m, & others                              
Front Sight            | A2 FSB                           | A2 FSB                              | KAC 99051 BUIS (Taupe)                                  
Front Sling Attachment | FSB Sling Swivel                 | FSB Sling Swivel                    | CQD                                                      
Muzzle Device          | KAC M4QD                         | KAC M4QD                            | SureFire FH-556-RC                                      
Supressor              | None                             | KAC QDSS NT4                        | SureFire SOCOM556-RC (FDE)                              
LAM                    | None                             | PEQ-2                               | LA-5                                                    
Weaponlight            | SureFire M962                    | SureFire M952, M962                 | Insight M3X (Tan), Insight WMX200 (Bronze)              
Optic                  | Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox Mount | Aimpoint Comp M2 in QRP Mount, ACOG | EOTech 553 (Tan), EOTech EXPS3-0 (Tan), ELCAN 1-4x (FDE)

----------

Link to previous threads

Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part I
 Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part II
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pic thread

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By justin51:
Recently got a RIS II for my build that is currently in a pistol configuration (SBA3).  Need input on my next big purchase: convert to SBR, or get a can?  I'm not super worried about being 100% correct with this build, but I'd definitely like to add to what I have by making/getting NFA items.  What do you guys think?
View Quote
Well the SBR will only take 3 weeks if you efile whereas the can will take 15 months.  Your pick
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the can started, then save if necessary and get the SBR stamp sometime while you're waiting on the suppressor. You'll have plenty of time for the latter ;p.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cone256:

Well the SBR will only take 3 weeks if you efile whereas the can will take 15 months.  Your pick
View Quote
I have 6 cans now. Not nearly as many as most guys here. All I can say is get it submitted. If you don’t submit the application it will just take that much longer. I have buddies who complain it takes so long, then they wished they did when they see my cans, but still never submit the Form 4
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Can first and sbr while you wait
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Holy tits. First time I've seen a Docter marked like that. Is it a Noblex?
View Quote
Yeah it is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Can't believe I forgot about this.  Is there any specific link to go to?  I have zero NFA items, so I just want to get started.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't believe I forgot about this.  Is there any specific link to go to?  I have zero NFA items, so I just want to get started.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.atfonline.gov/default.htm

Click eForms and create an account.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By krdt:

View Quote
I e-filed a form 1 SBR on 6-7-19 at 14:23 and got it approved on 6/17/19 at 07:21.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I'n now going to spend so much more money than I should be now
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Holy tits. First time I've seen a Docter marked like that. Is it a Noblex?
View Quote
Those are the new gen, I've been thinking about picking one up to see how it compares to the II
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

I e-filed a form 1 SBR on 6-7-19 at 14:23 and got it approved on 6/17/19 at 07:21.
View Quote
Was that as an individual??

Did mine late night on 6/10, I'm on a trust, 1 RP
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MrKV:

View Quote
Yes, individual.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Mine was 3 weeks with a Trust and 1 RP back in May
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Yes, individual.
View Quote
Finger prints just got delivered today. Hopefully no more then 2 weeks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
For when the CQB gets REALLY CQ...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242045/ECQBR_jpg-987685.JPG

View Quote
That looks soooo much better. It needed the green
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

That looks soooo much better. It needed the green
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]

I agree.
View Quote
How far back is the before pic?  It looks good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#23]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:

How far back is the before pic?  It looks good.
View Quote
Here's the same lower, just with my SOPMOD Block 1 clone upper:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Mine was 3 weeks with a Trust and 1 RP back in May
View Quote
Sweet.. Hopefully mine is 3 weeks or less *fingers crossed*
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#25]
My last one was 139 days :\.

That's counting 35 days of govt shutdown, but still not that great. Mostly depends on whether you get an instant proceed on your NICS or not.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]

That's counting 35 days of govt shutdown, but still not that great. Mostly depends on whether you get an instant proceed on your NICS or not.
View Quote
That’s almost as bad as my 7 month including shutdown wait for a paper file with trust.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

That’s almost as bad as my 7 month including shutdown wait for a paper file with trust.
View Quote
Lol, thats why we told you to cancel and efile.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I never get instant... Would a upin help with that? I've heard conflicting statements

I have a damn clearance for Christ's sake
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#29]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Lol, thats why we told you to cancel and efile.
View Quote
Yes I know but I really wasn’t in a hurry and for my first stamp I wanted a physical stamp. Silly I know but I am the first in my group of shooting buddies to get a nfa stamp. Now I just need a year to fly by so I can get my two can approvals.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Yes I know but I really wasn’t in a hurry and for my first stamp I wanted a physical stamp. Silly I know but I am the first in my group of shooting buddies to get a nfa stamp. Now I just need a year to fly by so I can get my two can approvals.
View Quote
That logic is just eh
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#31]
I never get instant... Would a upin help with that? I've heard conflicting statements

View All Quotes

Theoretically... yes, a UPIN/VAF should help.

That said, I've heard of more than one case where someone got a delay even after receiving their UPIN. When that happens, I think it probably comes down to the specific reason you're getting a delay. For example, someone getting a delay due to having a name that is the same or very similar to that of a prohibited person, versus someone with say, an arrest for a charge that would make them a prohibited possessor but that was later pleaded down or dismissed. Likely the UPIN would help in the latter case, but perhaps not in the former... but that's just speculation.

If you know you regularly get delayed, I'd expect around 3 months or more, depending on the current backlog at the FBI.

ETA: Got to thinking about it, and really a UPIN should be exactly what would help with a similar name type delay; but then again, so should providing your SSN#. Who knows - it's the government :\.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I have always wondered if there is any cross check with other federal gov't registries on things like this, potentially speeding them up.

The FBI has had my finger prints for almost 12 years for being FINRA securities licensed. I had to go through deep FBI background checks and get finger printed when i passed the Series 6 and Series 7 exams years ago.

I read somewhere that if you have recent NICS checks for other NFA items, you can call the ATF and ask them to use the recent NICS check for an approved form 1 on things like a form 4 for suppressors. I plan on testing the theory, I have 2 pending form 4's for background right now for 2 Surefire SB's i bought in March.

Last 3 e-files were 22 calendar days, submitted another 2 on 6/9, prints received on 6/12/19. Today is day 12. Once approved I will make the call to the ATF and see if they can move the form 4's through.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
I have always wondered if there is any cross check with other federal gov't registries on things like this, potentially speeding them up.

The FBI has had my finger prints for almost 12 years for being FINRA securities licensed. I had to go through deep FBI background checks and get finger printed when i passed the Series 6 and Series 7 exams years ago.

I read somewhere that if you have recent NICS checks for other NFA items, you can call the ATF and ask them to use the recent NICS check for an approved form 1 on things like a form 4 for suppressors. I plan on testing the theory, I have 2 pending form 4's for background right now for 2 Surefire SB's i bought in March.

Last 3 e-files were 22 calendar days, submitted another 2 on 6/9, prints received on 6/12/19. Today is day 12. Once approved I will make the call to the ATF and see if they can move the form 4's through.
View Quote
I can pretty much guarantee you they won't unless the Form 4s are already awaiting a background check. There seems to be an exception if you have 9 or more stamps pending, in which case they have been batch approving those. But, if your F4s are yet to be assigned to an examiner or not yet to the actual background check stage, they won't expedite them; they only apply approved background checks to other forms that are currently pending BGC before approval.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#34]

I can pretty much guarantee you they won't unless the Form 4s are already awaiting a background check. There seems to be an exception if you have 9 or more stamps pending, in which case they have been batch approving those. But, if your F4s are yet to be assigned to an examiner or not yet to the actual background check stage, they won't expedite them; they only apply approved background checks to other forms that are currently pending BGC before approval.
View Quote
form 4's are awaiting the background check. i purposely waited on filing the form 1's, calling a week prior to verify the form 4's status.

it's a long shot but i am going to give it a try
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
form 4's are awaiting the background check. i purposely waited on filing the form 1's, calling a week prior to verify the form 4's status.

View All Quotes

Oh, then you should be good. Even if they say they don't do that - they do. Just get to a supervisor. Odd that your eFiles are getting approved more or less without a delay but that your F4s are stuck in background.

I'm planning on submitting an eFile when my NT4 F4 is around 220 days (I'll base it on the average wait times when I do it) and try to shave 3-4 months off my wait ;D.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#36]
Wait, are you saying you submitted the F4s in March 2018 or March 2019? If you bought in March 2019 and you're already pending background, that is crazy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:38:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrKV] [#37]
Wait, are you saying you submitted the F4s in March 2018 or March 2019? If you bought in March 2019 and you're already pending background, that is crazy.
View Quote
Exactly. Submitted my 4 in March and I'm not at that stage yet

ETA.. Ill try to get a upin and see if that helps before my next purchase.. I put my ssn everytime too
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Exactly. Submitted my 4 in March and I'm not at that stage yet

ETA.. Ill try to get a upin and see if that helps before my next purchase.. I put my ssn everytime too
View Quote
Yeah, I mean the average check cashed to approval wait right now is 283 days on individual F4s. The bulk of recent approvals seem to be 266 to 335 days, and I would wager almost all those under 300 days were instant approvals. Since the BGC and approval (or delay) happens almost at the same time, you can reasonably say with the most recent sizable batch it's taking roughly 260-280 days to reach pending background/approval. Although, it looks like that it might be dropping, with the most recent three being 259, 234 and 191 days (I don't even count the outlier sub-150-day or sub-100-day approvals - I chalk those up to 9+ stamp batch approvals or otherwise expedited).

Of course, we'll need to see more approvals with 11/18 or newer cashed dates to see if wait times are really trending downward.

My NT4 F4 went pending April, 3rd and is at 78 days. I wasn't even planning to call for an update until 6 months or so... but if JLAudio is really already pending background, I might need to go ahead and call, lol.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#39]
Attachment Attached File

Coming along. I am sticking with the AAC can. Just a few parts and she is done. I am swapping out CMC trigger with a Colt FCG and ditching KNS pins. Getting there. Once it is done I will do some glamour shots
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Jeez my F1 took almost a year a couple years back - Efiled/Trust.

I have a another lower engraved and ready to go, I need to Efile it, but not sure if I should do trust still or just individual.  My previous two cans were about the same time and took ~13 months, on a trust.   I bought a ThunderBeast about 3 months ago and did individual on it this time.  Maybe by the end of the year I am thinking.

Anyway, I guess for new F1, individual is the way to go now?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324355/FBBC76C6-189E-4448-B1CE-B7AA2BDA93FC_jpeg-988387.JPG

Coming along. I am sticking with the AAC can. Just a few parts and she is done. I am swapping out CMC trigger with a Colt FCG and ditching KNS pins. Getting there. Once it is done I will do some glamour shots
View Quote
Looking good, broseph.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#42]
sopmod stock question:

There seems to be two different "tanish" colors for the stock from b5, FDE (matches magpul) and Coyote (more brown/bronze) which of these are considered the correct tan shade? or are neither technically correct and black gen 1 is the only right answer?

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#43]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
Jeez my F1 took almost a year a couple years back - Efiled/Trust.

I have a another lower engraved and ready to go, I need to Efile it, but not sure if I should do trust still or just individual.  My previous two cans were about the same time and took ~13 months, on a trust.   I bought a ThunderBeast about 3 months ago and did individual on it this time.  Maybe by the end of the year I am thinking.

Anyway, I guess for new F1, individual is the way to go now?
View Quote
Unless one of your RPs is causing a significant delay, trust vs. individual shouldn't make any meaningful difference in wait time.

Originally Posted By oneofus:
sopmod stock question:

There seems to be two different "tanish" colors for the stock from b5, FDE (matches magpul) and Coyote (more brown/bronze) which of these are considered the correct tan shade? or are neither technically correct and black gen 1 is the only right answer?

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/B5-FDE-vs-LMT-FDE.jpg
View Quote
Coyote or black Gen Juan from B5, tan or black Gen Juan from LMT are your correct choices for SOPMOD stocks. In my experience, the worst fit and finish is on the B5 black (rough, slightly splotchy finish and not that great of fit); the B5 coyote and LMT tan or black are all about the same and superior in the fit/finish department.

ETA: Whatever you do, don't get the Gen II B5 "FDE"... it is nasty. Way, way too light.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By oneofus:
sopmod stock question:

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/B5-FDE-vs-LMT-FDE.jpg
View Quote
My son was issued a coyote LMT SOPMOD stock while in 10th SFGA years ago when they were going to Iraq.  I would say 98% are black however.

CD
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone looking for a taupe NT4 in stock at a good price: https://www.shieldgroupamt.com/products/accessories-knights-armament-company-96062-2-819064016243-2229

Ends up $1,350 or so shipped. FYI, it appears RSR Group (the distributor they drop ship from) only has one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#46]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242045/ECQBR_jpg-987685.JPG

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Here’s my not perfect clone, haven’t even shot it yet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#50]
So what variant's of M600 Scout light are acceptable? Picture references are a bonus. Have the WMX200 on there currently and damn if it didn't take me along time to get it but it really is a trash light for the price so has me second guessing if I want to run it or not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1567
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1567)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top