User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1568)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1568
Posted: 3/16/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
When discussing the Mk 18 / CQBR program, we can divide the history and discussion in to two distinct categories: 1) The weapon system itself / upper receiver supplied and 2) the group of accessories deployed on said weapon systems (SOPMOD).

----------

Mk 18 Mod 0 / CQBR

The M4 carbine and M16 are not ideally suited for all missions, so it was proposed that the modularity of the M16 series would allow a user to replace the upper receiver of an existing weapon with one more suitable to the task. One of two proposed special mission receivers that were planned for inclusion into the SOPMOD Block II kit, the CQBR has taken off on its own. Like the proposed Special Purpose Receiver, the Close Quarters Battle Receiver has been more or less taken on by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or just "Crane") as its own project following the CQBR's removal from the SOPMOD program. Just as the Special Purpose Receiver morphed into the Special Purpose Rifle, and was type-classified as Mk 12 Mod 0/1, the complete CQBR-equipped carbine has been type-classified as the Mk 18 Mod 0.

The purpose of the CQBR remains to provide operators with a weapon of submachine gun size, but firing a rifle cartridge, for scenarios such as VIP protection, urban warfare, and other close quarters battle (CQB) situations. The CQBR is designed to provide improvement over previous AR-15/M16-type weapons in this category. The CQBR is usually issued as a complete weapon system, and not just an upper receiver. The CQBR was once only available to Naval Special Warfare units, but the Mk 18 Mod 0 has become general issue for Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) missions and, as of 2006, for NCIS agents deploying to active combat zones.[citation needed] The Mk 18 is also used by the Coast Guard's Tactical Law Enforcement Teams, Maritime Safety and Security Teams, and Maritime Security Response Team and the United States Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operators.

Wikipedia has a good article with sources on the original CQBR/Mk 18 Mod 0 and its development.

----------

SOPMOD

The SOPMOD Program Management Office at NSWC Crane, IN, provides standardized, versatile weapons accessories to meet needs across SOF mission scenarios. These accessories increase operator survivability and lethality by enhanced weapon performance, target acquisition, signature suppression, and fire control.

The CQBR itself was originally part of the SOPMOD program as an accessory replacement upper receiver for the M4. However it was eventually separated out into its own project.

SOPMOD accessories for the M4/CQBR originally included things like the KAC RIS/RAS, SOPMOD stock, KAC M4QD suppressor, AN/PEQ-2 illuminator/laser, ECOS-N red dot, ACOG, etc

The SOPMOD program has gone through multiple minor and major evolutions throughout its lifetime. The most significant is commonly defined as "Block II" and included the introduction/replacement of accessories that met the updated needs of operators. The most visually significant "Block II" accessory is probably the replacement of the KAC rail/FSB with the  Daniel Defense RIS II free float rail with low-profile gas block. Other updates include things like the Surefire SOCOM sound suppressor, EOTech RDS (553/SU-231 & EXPS 3-0/SU-231a), LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, etc

----------

Link to docs and photo albums

Presentation on CQBR from Crane
 Operator's Manual for Mk 18 Mod 0
 SOPMOD Program Overview presentation from Crane
 Photo Album of Mk 18 Mod 0
 Photo Album of CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories

----------

Because of the long history of both the CQBR/Mk 18 and SOPMOD programs, it's common to find weapons with various mixed configurations in the field, all depending on what time and unit the weapon system belongs to. Below are a few examples with descriptions to illustrate this.

Example of a Mk 18 Mod 0 in as-issued configuration including: M16A1 surplus lower receiver, SOPMOD buttstock, KAC RIS, KAC M4QD flash hider, Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox mount, LMT rear fixed sight, CQD rear sling plate.

NSW Operator CQBRs with original SOPMOD accessories including KAC M4QD sound suppressor and AN/PEQ-2 IR Illuminator/Laser.

Member of a Combat Camera team with a CQBR with KAC RAS and M4QD flash hider but with other updated accessories from the "Block II" SOPMOD kit including SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0), EOTech G33 Magnifier, LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, Insight WMX-200.

Good example of "early" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including SU-231 (EOTech 553) and SU-233 (Insight M3x weaponlight).

Example of a more "modern" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including the updated SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0) and Insight WMX-200 weaponlight.

Many times certain configurations are common within certain branches/groups. Here a Marine Raider is seen with a CQBR with an AN/PEQ-16 (USMC issued vs. the LA-5/PEQ SOCOM issued ATPIAL) and KAC NT4 suppressor (vs. the current Surefire SOCOM suppressor).

----------

Building a clone

If you're interested in building a "clone" of a Mk 18 or CQBR equipped M4A1, here is a basic parts list to use as a guide and get you started. This list is not exhaustive and see the * note above regarding personalized accessories.

| Mk 18 Mod 0                      | M4A1 CQBR Block I                   | M4A1 CQBR Block II                                      
Lower Receiver         | Mil-spec forged A1               | Mil-spec forged A2                  | Mil-spec forged A2                                      
Stock                  | Gen 1 SOPMOD (Black)             | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others       | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others                            
Pistol Grip            | A1                               | A2, ERGO & others                   | A2, ERGO & others                                        
Rear Sling Plate       | CQD                              | CQD                                 | CQD                                                      
Upper Receiver         | Mil-spec forged M4 profile       | Mil-spec forged M4 profile          | Mil-spec forged M4 profile                              
Barrel                 | 10.3"                            | 10.3"                               | 10.3"                                                    
Rail                   | KAC RIS                          | KAC RAS                             | DD Mk18 RIS II (FDE)                                    
Rear BUIS              | LMT Fixed                        | LMT Fixed, MATECH, & others         | MATECH, KAC 300m, & others                              
Front Sight            | A2 FSB                           | A2 FSB                              | KAC 99051 BUIS (Taupe)                                  
Front Sling Attachment | FSB Sling Swivel                 | FSB Sling Swivel                    | CQD                                                      
Muzzle Device          | KAC M4QD                         | KAC M4QD                            | SureFire FH-556-RC                                      
Supressor              | None                             | KAC QDSS NT4                        | SureFire SOCOM556-RC (FDE)                              
LAM                    | None                             | PEQ-2                               | LA-5                                                    
Weaponlight            | SureFire M962                    | SureFire M952, M962                 | Insight M3X (Tan), Insight WMX200 (Bronze)              
Optic                  | Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox Mount | Aimpoint Comp M2 in QRP Mount, ACOG | EOTech 553 (Tan), EOTech EXPS3-0 (Tan), ELCAN 1-4x (FDE)

----------

Link to previous threads

Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part I
 Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part II
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:49:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
A lot of G rails in here... *checks thread title*...

View Quote

Back when she was a dirty little MBUS whore. -

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:54:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#2]

View Quote
Hey man, it could be worse. I'm pretty sure I have some personal cock pics on my Flickr too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View Quote

Originally Posted By Roadblock:

Hey man, it could be worse. I'm pretty sure I have some personal cock pics on my Flickr too.
View Quote
Nice, so what's up, you leave that acct unsecured or what?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Nice, so what's up, you leave that acct unsecured or what?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Guzzle the Geiszzle, bro's
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
We don't need labels, babe.

Somewhat on topic- submitted a F1 for one of my Brownells/NDS A1 lowers. Start of a MK18.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
one day i swear im gonna A1 my SBR spikes lower with an endmill and fill it with JB Weld and norrels colt gray that thing.....One day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:25:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#8]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
one day i swear im gonna A1 my SBR spikes lower with an endmill and fill it with JB Weld and norrels colt gray that thing.....One day.
View Quote
Don't you have an A1 GM Hydramatic 80 percenter? SBR that baby.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
can u imagine that on the paperwork? LOL.

naah that lower is married. need ONE A1 SBR done tho....
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Mistah ATF Man- "durrrr, when the fuck did General Motors make guns?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Been awhile though-M1919A6

CD
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1919A6.JPG

CD
View All Quotes

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1919A6.JPG

CD
Man. What I would give to have that as a......functioning. wall hanger.

Mistah ATF man definitely wouldn't like that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:17:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#13]
Only gun I ever brought back.  Captured in Iraq, U.S. Property marked, found on installation, put back on books and returned to US.  Still in HHC, 5th SFGA arms room last I know of.

CD
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#14]
Only gun I ever brought back.  Captured in Iraq, U.S. Property marked, found on installation, put back on books and returned to US.  Still in HHC, 5th SFGA arms room last I know of.

CD
View Quote
i had a nazi marked MG42, 1919 and a maxim in my repair connext in baghdad....all 3 denied bringback status or museum status. i held onto them till the last week :(
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#15]
i had a nazi marked MG42, 1919 and a maxim in my repair connext in baghdad....all 3 denied bringback status or museum status. i held onto them till the last week :(
View All Quotes

CD
Closest thing I ever had was a thermal that was still factory wrapped under the 249 table in our guard tower. The base was built out of sandbags so no one ever saw it. I was moving stuff around one day and found a Pelican case and investigated. Of course I did the right thing and notified my COC.

Can't remember the model, but it was a weapon mounted one and had all the reticles for the different crew serves.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Closest thing I ever had was a thermal that was still factory wrapped under the 249 table in our guard tower. The base was built out of sandbags so no one ever saw it. I was moving stuff around one day and found a Pelican case and investigated. Of course I did the right thing and notified my COC.

Can't remember the model, but it was a weapon mounted one and had all the reticles for the different crew serves.
View Quote
PAS-13?

CD
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

CD

Thankfully you're smarter than that Joe Teti clown from Dual Survival, (Got caught stealing a bunch of NVG equipment from his unit, then a med kit from a CH-47 crew,  then later an MP5 from his contractor employer (I think triple canopy)

Those are just the documented ones.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#18]
WOW...pas-13.... i issued them out for convoy ops in 2007. we had all 3 sizes. battery eaters but guys got kills with em. looked like black fishes to me hahah
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#19]
WOW...pas-13.... i issued them out for convoy ops in 2007. we had all 3 sizes. battery eaters but guys got kills with em. looked like black fishes to me hahah
View Quote
Haha we used to say the same thing (look like fish). We had the mediums only, I believe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Should be wrapped up tonight. Gotta snug up the rail.

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That NT4 is pure, undiluted awesomeness. I want. Being able to buy two SOCOM RCs for the price of one NT4 makes it hard for me to justify, but they are undeniably snazzy as hell.

Your lack of KAC 99051 Taupe, however, is... disturbing ;p.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By krdt:
That NT4 is pure, undiluted awesomeness. I want. Being able to buy two SOCOM RCs for the price of one NT4 makes it hard for me to justify, but they are undeniably snazzy as hell.

View Quote
The NT4 is a tough pill to swallow. It's older school silencer technology, heavy, and as you mentioned 2x the price of competing cans. I am however a KAC fan as evidenced by butchering a Mod 2 upper receiver to make this CQBR version and I've got a full ambi KAC lower that this upper will be going on. The NT4 is an icon though in the suppressor world and I knew my collection needed one at some point. Once Silencer Shop had them available it made it too easy.

I rarely use irons so I'm just sticking with the black set that I have. Tan EXPS3-0 will be thrown on here though I've got a micro I may change to later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#23]
PAS-13?

CD
View All Quotes

PAS-13?

CD
Yup, that's it.

About a month later CID came around and was getting sworn statements from anyone that worked that tower. Apparently it wasn't on the books that it was supposed to be on from the last unit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Thankfully you're smarter than that Joe Teti clown from Dual Survival, (Got caught stealing a bunch of NVG equipment from his unit, then a med kit from a CH-47 crew,  then later an MP5 from his contractor employer (I think triple canopy)

View All Quotes

CD

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
This was late 04/early 05 and we had been there for a while at that point so who knows how long it was stashed there. This thing didn't even look like it got opened in country, not a spec of dirt on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Should be wrapped up tonight. Gotta snug up the rail.

https://i.imgur.com/ze5QvVX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rjiPpzC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yXfUCX2.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The NT4 is a tough pill to swallow. It's older school silencer technology, heavy, and as you mentioned 2x the price of competing cans. I am however a KAC fan as evidenced by butchering a Mod 2 upper receiver to make this CQBR version and I've got a full ambi KAC lower that this upper will be going on. The NT4 is an icon though in the suppressor world and I knew my collection needed one at some point. Once Silencer Shop had them available it made it too easy.

I rarely use irons so I'm just sticking with the black set that I have. Tan EXPS3-0 will be thrown on here though I've got a micro I may change to later.
View All Quotes

Yeah, price is really the only downside to me. Once you compare the RC to the NT4 with the mount included, the weight difference isn't really that much - and the NT4 is built like a fuckin' tank. Overall, despite the age of the design, I don't really think the RC did anything to make the NT4 remotely obsolete; they both have their positives. Honestly, if it weren't for the huge price discrepancy, and I could only pick one, I'd probably take the NT4.

Definitely fills out any clone collection; I've got it on the "eventually" list, but that's an ever growing list, lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

CD

It gets even better.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/movies-video-games/2015/02/20/lawsuit-sf-members-describe-tv-star-as-problem-soldier/

Looks awesome Outrider
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Get both?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZJBT:

Get both?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209294/D1FF49D7-1BBC-4097-B1F5-208B1403BF1D-415793.JPG
How you liking the Maritime bolt catch? I think I want one
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Always the right answer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Putting the "CQB" in CQBR.

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Tremendous.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]

How you liking the Maritime bolt catch? I think I want one
View Quote
As I am left handed I am a big fan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jrhemming] [#35]
Im finally back in the game after having to sell my upper last march. I started piecing this back together in October. Really want an optic but it's usable as is for now. The upper is all Colt and I just got the light in today.
http://imgur.com/Wol8FH8
http://imgur.com/TVZ14N7
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Glad you got it done.  Was following it in the other thread.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#37]
How much is the KAC NT4 suppressor normally?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
$1400-$1500. There was a pack a while back that was lightly used that sold for a discount though I don’t know how much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Damn I love this thing, that AOR1 sling really ties it in. Nice man!
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#41]
View Quote
I got mine for 1300 new through esilencers. He was the only one that cared go find one for me back in September, called SS and they were no help, no locals. Too bad he couldn't get the taupe version

Here is a little porn, just sitting....waiting....

Those of you that have both, is the POI shift very different? I'm debating which one I'm going to p/w on my block 2, but planning on running nothing but the NT4 on my CQBR's....in a year
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Did you submit with a trust or individual? If it's individual it should be more like 4-6 months. Even a trust shouldn't take a year; wait times are dropping pretty fast. Either way, that is a fancy pair you have :D.

From the last conjugal visit:

Link Posted: 1/10/2018 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Did you submit with a trust or individual? If it's individual it should be more like 4-6 months. Even a trust shouldn't take a year; wait times are dropping pretty fast. Either way, that is a fancy pair you have :D.

From the last conjugal visit:

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.SOCOM.RC-01.jpg
View Quote
Trust. I have 2 SBR form 1s in for some MK18s, I'm not going to bother starting to build them until those forms are approved, but good news is the cans SHOULD be approved right there with them!
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:12:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MegaTarsal] [#44]
I'm going to be listing my ATPIAL-C, dual switch, and tan WMX200 later today in case anyone is interested.  Just wanted to give the cloners a heads up.

EE LISTING
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
I'm going to be listing my ATPIAL-C, dual switch, and tan WMX200 later today in case anyone is interested.  Just wanted to give the cloners a heads up.

EE LISTING
View Quote
Perfect timing! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
these Mk8 rails are really light and handy. this is like cheating....like my Holland is :D
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#47]
these Mk8 rails are really light and handy. this is like cheating....like my Holland is :D
View Quote
Yes they are...just swapped out my DD MK18 to a MK8
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#48]
where are you guys finding tan MK8s?  Would a black MK8 be accepted or is that peasantry?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
where are you guys finding tan MK8s?  Would a black MK8 be accepted or is that peasantry?
View Quote
It's splitting hairs considering the Mk8 isn't even fielded at the moment. I imagine we will see Geissele's Mk16 at some point in the 9.5 flavor and in DDC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
View Quote
tan? peasent.

Desert Diiiiirt.

used...EE, $230 shipped, earlier this week....was just sitting there waiting for me in the used upper parts lol. ya'll need to step up ur EE game :P

i just saw a mk8 on a few mk18 styles and loved it. if this makes me not a mk18 guy so be it lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1568
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1568)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top