Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 7:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixpakastan]
After a bunch of reading, gnashing of teeth, flip flopping,hand wringing, and generally being confused I've settled on 6.5 as my next rifle (I already have 2 .308 rifles, one bolt one gas.) Playing with the Berger twist calculator it's showing 1-7 or 1-7.5 seems to give a little more stability to the 120-140 grain rounds, but so far everything I've seen and without going full on custom 1-8 seems to be the standard. So what I keep looking at is a Bartlein M24/40 contour 1-8 twist 27 or 28 finished length. That should give me the widest range of ammo and the quickest turn around since I've found a few in stock.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
1/8 will be fine.  I have a Krieger 1/8.5 and it shoots 140 grain bullets in the same hole at 100 yards  and I have hit 8 inch gongs at 1000 yards so its GTG at least for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
1/8 works fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sixpakastan:
After a bunch of reading, gnashing of teeth, flip flopping,hand wringing, and generally being confused I've settled on 6.5 as my next rifle (I already have 2 .308 rifles, one bolt one gas.) Playing with the Berger twist calculator it's showing 1-7 or 1-7.5 seems to give a little more stability to the 120-140 grain rounds, but so far everything I've seen and without going full on custom 1-8 seems to be the standard. So what I keep looking at is a Bartlein M24/40 contour 1-8 twist 27 or 28 finished length. That should give me the widest range of ammo and the quickest turn around since I've found a few in stock.

Thanks.
View Quote

sorta

what litz is saying isn't that 8 twist won't keep it from keyholing, but rather at that stability factor, the BC isn't quite as high as if it were optimally stable.  and possibly there will also be a difference as the bullet goes transonic.   so he provides a correction factor in that calculator.

i shot 140 VLD and later 140 hybrids for many years with an 8.5 twist and it was super accurate and never had any stability problems.   later, i tried a gain twist that took me all the way down to 7.4 and i couldn't tell any difference in the BC or data at long range.  i've been shooting 8 twists for past couple of years but not for any particular reason.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#5]
I go with a 1/8 twist on all my 6.5s, and prefer ~140 gr bullets. But I'll be trying some 135 gr. Bergers this next year..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top