Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:52:40 PM EDT
I see scopes marked for .22LR.  Can any scope be used or do you have to use a .22LR scope?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Casper507] [#1]

Mounts must be compatible.  Many .22s have .22 specific grooves.
Some, like cz iirc, have European .22 specific.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#2]
The real issue is parallax.  Most centerfire scopes have parallax set for either 100 or 150 yards.   A rimfire is typically used at a much shorter distance.   It either needs adjustable objective or side focus to bring zero parallax point down to your shooting range, probably 50 yards, or a rimfire specific scope that has fixed parallax set at 50 or 60.

When parallax is off, unless you get your eye exactly, I mean exactly, centered in the eyepiece and do that on every shot, where your crosshairs are aimed may not be where the bullet goes.  Groups open up or small targets (squirrels, etc.) get missed for no apparent reason.

Many centerfire scopes can be adjusted for parallax, although many people do not know.  For instance the Leupold VX-1 has a screw on cover on the front objective.  If you unscrew that you will see that there is a second set of threads that permit you to slowly rotate the objective lens in or out, as you would if it had an adjustable objective.  You can look through the scope and slowly move that objective lens, a quarter turn at a time at a target at the distance you want your parallax set until it is both in focus and you can move your head a little bit off center of the crosshairs and they stay on the target.  Then screw the outside cover of the objective back on.  That is the only difference between the rimfire VX-1 and VX-2 and their standard centerfire counterparts, but it is an important one.

Unscrewing the outer cover does not break the internal seal.  Under that cover is the second threaded housing that holds the objective lens.  This one has slots.  You slowly rotate this in or out to adjust parallax distance.  Do not unscrew it all the way or you will break the internal seal, the nitrogen, argon or other inert gas to escape, and allow moisture and air inside the scope.  It would have to go back to the factory to be purged.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to unscrew the objective on my VX-1 but it would not budge and I didn't want to force it.  How do you get the ring off if it is tight or loctited.  Also, if the parallax is set at 150 yd., which way do you turn the lens to bring it down to 60yd focus??
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:34:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HungLo] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TARFU:
I tried to unscrew the objective on my VX-1 but it would not budge and I didn't want to force it.  How do you get the ring off if it is tight or loctited.  Also, if the parallax is set at 150 yd., which way do you turn the lens to bring it down to 60yd focus??
View Quote

I did this adjustment on my Leupold, a few weekends ago.
Strap wrench is the way to go.
Turn the optic counter-clockwise to bring the parallax down to 60 yards. It took less than
one rotation to bring it in. Worked out great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HungLo:

Turn the optic counter-clockwise to bring the parallax down to 60 yards. It took less than
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agree.  It took a little over 1/2 turn out (counterclockwise) to set parallax for 50, which is what I want.  You really need to be looking at something with fine detail at the range you want to shoot and move your eye off center and back while adjusting.  It will be less than one turn out, for sure.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:45:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#7]
Thread resurrection!!

Was using an old simmons 44mag (3x9-40) on my 22. Noticed my groups were inconsistant, started researching and discovered the paralax issue. Found this thread a while back and read MS556's post above. Very informative btw, thanks.

Finally bought this yesterday at cabelas.
Nikon prostaff EFR rimfire scope

Its paralax is adjustable at the objective for 10 through ~ and its designed for quick focus for shots from close up to 100yds, hence the "designed for rimfires" label. Going to sight it in later today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
the utg bugbuster is a nice 22lr scope with excellent paralax control (3 yards to infinity)

Amazon Product
  • BEWARE OF COUNTERFEIT PRODUCTS SHIPPED DIRECTLY FROM CHINA
  • 1 Inch Tube with Emerald Coating for Maximum Light Transmission, Premium Zero Lockable & Resettable Turrets with 1/4 MOA Per Click Adjustment
  • Range Estimating Mil-dot Reticle for Optimal Aiming and Shooting Performance, Adjustable Objective from 3 Yards to Infinity

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top