Originally Posted By roamin:

Not even close.

50 BMG has
11, 000 FT/LBS at the muzzle

338LM has
5, 000 FT/LBS at the muzzle

50 BMG dwarfs 338LM
View Quote

And why does that matter in any context?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:23:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RictusGrin:

View Quote

It has 220% more energy and you want me to explain why it matters? I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Better yet how about you explain why wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Why wouldn't it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why wouldn't it?

The point I was getting at is that, past a certain point, the rifle and round just get too big.  50 is bigger, no doubt but IMO, 338 is where "too big to be enjoyable" starts.

Just my view.  My opinion is tainted by having to climb too many stairs and ladders with gear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:43:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#4]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

The point I was getting at is that, past a certain point, the rifle and round just get too big.  50 is bigger, no doubt but IMO, 338 is where "too big to be enjoyable" starts.

Just my view.  My opinion is tainted by having to climb too many stairs and ladders with gear.
View Quote

That's surprising to hear, everyone at my range including me has payed the $20 to pull the trigger one time on the ranges 50BMG usually gets up smiling afterwards and they often mention how it wasn't that bad.

Sounds more like a 50BMG won't work out for you for whatever reason. Which is understandable we all have our different priorities when buying firearms. However your priorities that purtain to you and you alone do not mean that 338LM is the equivalent to 50BMG. More like 338LM is the closest you can get to a 50BMG. 338LM much is closer to 300WM than 50BMG.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#5]

It has 220% more energy and you want me to explain why it matters? I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Better yet how about you explain why wouldn't it?
View All Quotes

Matters for what? In what context? Brawndo? You're the one making it out to be important, but wanting me to do the justifying for you. That's not how it works.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]

That's surprising to hear, everyone at my range including me has payed the $20 to pull the trigger one time on the ranges 50BMG usually gets up smiling afterwards and they often mention how it wasn't that bad.

Sounds more like a 50BMG won't work out for you for whatever reason. Which is understandable we all have our different priorities when buying firearms. However your priorities that purtain to you and you alone do not mean that 338LM is the equivalent to 50BMG. More like 338LM is the closest you can get to a 50BMG. 338LM much is closer to 300WM than 50BMG.
View Quote

Things are beginning to make sense now.

So, how about that 308 question?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:22:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#7]

Things are beginning to make sense now.

So, how about that 308 question?
View Quote

Like it was me that brought up 338LM and 50BMG? Are things making sense now?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:30:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#8]

Matters for what? In what context? Brawndo? You're the one making it out to be important, but wanting me to do the justifying for you. That's not how it works.
View Quote

If you're unsure how that much extra energy is usefull in long range shooting. I don't think that its reasonable for me to have to cover enough information to help you in just one post.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#9]

If you're unsure how that much extra energy is usefull in long range shooting. I don't think that its reasonable for me to have to cover enough information to help you in just one post.
View All Quotes

I think you're totally missing the point here.  For my purposes energy is probably the last thing I care about when I look at ballistics, and is likely a byproduct of other things I want.

Tell me how many 50's were used in the king of two mile competition? 

That is also a whole other argument talking about mostly short action long range cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Oh, my.

So, what do you think of 308 Win and its value in your ammo inventory?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I think you're totally missing the point here.  For my purposes energy is probably the last thing I care about when I look at ballistics, and is likely a byproduct of other things I want.

That is also a whole other argument talking about mostly short action long range cartridges.
View All Quotes

Good points, speaking to issues related to the value of 308 relative to other short action options, too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Um... okay.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Man, you're getting ripped off.

The tourist ranges here only charge $13/round to sling .50s into the dirt.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm heavily vested in .308. I have some high end .308s I've been using since way before the newer cartridges came about.

Given the time and effort I have expended in tailoring my loads for these individual rifles, the expense in precision dies to load those tailored loads and my familiarity with them on the range...I'm hard pressed to go with something new. Finding the time to repeat the above with a new caliber would be difficult. 

I'm content to stay within 1000 yards and know my range dope without having to re-learn it - all just to replace something that ain't broke. 

YMMV. 
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#15]

View Quote

Here's a quote from accurate shooter regarding the KO2M competition. Seems I'm not missing any points at all. The KO2M competition will belong to CT's rather than BMG's and LM's anyway. The comparison we're making thus far has been between 50BMG and 338LM not 50BMG and CT.

"There were quite a few big .50 Cals on the line"
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#16]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Man, you're getting ripped off.

The tourist ranges here only charge $13/round to sling .50s into the dirt.
View Quote

Overcharged $7. That's it!!! I'm writhing my congressman in protest.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Here's a quote from accurate shooter regarding the KO2M competition. Seems I'm not missing any points at all. The KO2M competition will belong to CT's rather than BMG's and LM's anyway. The comparison we're making thus far has been between 50BMG and 338LM not 50BMG and CT.

"There were quite a few big .50 Cals on the line"
View Quote
I'm well aware of how ballistics work.  Now you're just twisting words.  I suppose I should have said 50 BMG.  

This thread started about rounds that fit in an RPR
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#18]
I'm well aware of how ballistics work.  Now you're just twisting words.  I suppose I should have said 50 BMG.  

This thread started about rounds that fit in an RPR
View Quote

The KO2M competition is a very newly formed event in my experience following any type of new sports or sporting events it takes a couple of years for the event to mature. We will get some solid data out of the event in due time but at this point we'll have to wait to see it. The problem is that we do not have several years of results of the event to pull data from, only I believe 1yr which could have been a fluke.

It is worth noting that the competition was won by the AB team using a .375 Leathal a cartridge which is supersonic up to 2750 yards. However Randy Powell's score placed him just behind the AB team at the end of the 1st day untill he fell behind with equipment issues with his 50BMG (I better mention that it was BMG otherwise someone may claim it wasn't) a cartridge which is supersonic to 3, 200 yards. Its also worth noting that the AB team will have big money backing from both AB and Berger, the others at the competition last year not as much. The AB team did win the competition however the AB team wasn't able to touch the 3375 yard target and only managed 4 hits on the 2477 yard target and 3 hits on the 2011 yard target. So, not even the 400gr Berger custom .375 projo, which was tested days before on the NRA range to come up with a custom drag curve, was the winning hand. I have to wonder if next year will yeld different results due to the 50BMG's longer supersonic flight range, over the other cartridges.

And yes this thread did start on 308 and alternatives we should steer it back
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Snip...

View Quote

That being the case, and since I've shot enough BMG to be bored if it, which caliber for the RPR? 308?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]

That being the case, and since I've shot enough BMG to be bored if it, which caliber for the RPR? 308?
View Quote

Wow! Even if you're not getting ripped off like Roamin, that still must have cost you a fortune!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Snip...

There's a case being made for the super heavy .30s giving the .308 an advantage on par with the 6.5s, but only in wind drift.

I think anyone who's been exposed to both, sufficiently, will pick a 6.5 or 6mm, both because they're easier to shoot, and cheaper to load for.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

Wow! Even if you're not getting ripped off like Roamin, that still must have cost you a fortune!
View Quote

Baby girl, I've sent you many a photo of me gunning with ball, API and SLAP (just not in the M107, because it won't chamber) in far away places, and I've never made you shoot that silly 308. Only 6.5C for my baby rabbit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

There's a case being made for the super heavy .30s giving the .308 an advantage on par with the 6.5s, but only in wind drift.

I think anyone who's been exposed to both, sufficiently, will pick a 6.5 or 6mm, both because they're easier to shoot, and cheaper to load for.
View Quote

6mm it the tits, but there's a barrel life issue with it. The 6.5mm is the compromise. Since I make my own 6.5C brass from all the free 308 brass, it's not even a question as to which I prefer. I've done good work with 308, and better work with MK 262 due to exposure time, but I'm not about to shoot 308 on my own time and own dime.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I like .308 because ammo is everywhere, .40cpr brass cased rock blasting ammo is available, barrel life is great, terminal performance on deer, bear, moose is good. AP is easily accessible for when skynet becomes self aware. I'll have plenty of ammo for when I buy a shuffs mini g in .308. And I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference in any cartridge inside 500 yards.

Sure there are better rounds out there but none as well rounded for my uses.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Forever and always, well at least until the US and NATO do not use it as a std cartridge.

Even if that does happen, it will be long after my death before any 'shortage' would be of concern.

We are still digging up surplus .30-06.

Some may question (with reason) that there was a better cartridge in development than the 7.62x51 during it's adoption as NATO's and the US std round, however finding one person to discredited it's battlefield worthiness and innate accuracy would be like pissing up a rope laying on your back
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I'm not doing competition where the newer stuff has advantages, 308 is likely to have a solid home for a long time. It's big enough for almost anything I might do, but inexpensive enough to load for that I can put a lot of rounds down range. Long barrel life, cheaper ammo, shares some bullets with my 300BLK, and I already own it.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of times I look at some of the zippy modern calibers and think, "damn, it'd sure be nice to have one of those for all those breezy days" but not enough to plunk down enough money for it to matter. I have a feeling that what will happen is I'll find a used R700 in a decent stock that someone traded in because they can't shoot it well and blame it on the gun. I'll get it rebarreled in 6.5C or something similar and spend the next year working on loads and relearning wind and drops. The Savage 308 will stick around for punching steel and other general fun stuff. For what it cost me it is a ridiculously accurate rifle and I'm in no hurry to spend a bundle just to cut the wind a bit better. I don't shoot far enough that the other benefits come into play. Heck, 2/3 of the time I shoot PR it's a 223 anyway, just to keep the costs down while I practice fundamentals.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a few rifles in .308, and don't see that changing anytime too soon. One is a gorgeous CZ550 Satin Luxe that will remain a nice deer rifle and hand-me-down. It's a wood lottery winner and would be darn near impossible to replace if I sold it. It would not be cost effective to re-barrel it, and .308 will do everything I need it to out to realistic hunting ranges.

The other is a Remington 700 I recently acquired. It's been bedded to a Manners T6A and Badger M5 DBM, and is overall nicely equipped for what I paid. I may plan to re-barrel this one to 6.5CM, and I might do a ground up build for my 6.5. Heck, I may just grab an RPR to fill that slot, we'll have to see. But for an easy round to learn on, both for shooting and reloading, that's pretty easy on the wallet (twice the barrel life of 6.5 and ammo's pretty cheap if you wait for sales), it's hard to pass up.

So while I may becone good enough to need an upgrade to a 6mm or 6.5mm to compete in PRS type matches some day, I'd dare say the .308 will always have a home in my safe, in one way or another.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#29]

338 is like owning a 50 cal.
View Quote

308 W is 1/2 of a 338LM
338 LM is 1/2 of a 50 MBG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
probably never really get rid of it,  I just don't shoot my .308's nearly as much anymore. Got a couple .260's and a .223 I shoot a lot more....
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Had to sell a rifle to fund a 338 LM. Either 6.5 creedmoor or my 308 bolt. Creedmoor lost. My 338 LM will take care of my long distance shooting while my 308 will handle under 1000 yards. Reload for my AR10 so the 308 had to stay. The 308 is a good all around rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I just bought another 308 barrel for my AIAT today.  I love that people are flocking to the 6.5's because it means cheap barrels for me

This makes spare takeoff barrel #3 now for a combined cost of barely over that of a single Bartlein/etc. barrel in something other than 308.  For my shooting 308 does what I need it to and I save a shitload of money on barrels.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
I just bought another 308 barrel for my AIAT today.  I love that people are flocking to the 6.5's because it means cheap barrels for me

This makes spare takeoff barrel #3 now for a combined cost of barely over that of a single Bartlein/etc. barrel in something other than 308.  For my shooting 308 does what I need it to and I save a shitload of money on barrels.
View Quote

If you are burning out .308 barrels in a bolt gun on a regular basis, you are a monster!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:51:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#34]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

If you are burning out .308 barrels in a bolt gun on a regular basis, you are a monster!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

I'm not (wish I was) but I figure there is a guy that has 120K+ rounds thru his AIAW so when I can pick up a takeoff 24" AT barrel for $260 shipped I would be stupid not too

You can't even buy a good blank for $260 anymore and LW barrels are good quality in my experience.

I figure I have enough barrels for a long, long time now but I will still buy them if I see them cheap.  It's a sickness I tell ya
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Where at that price?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:28:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STRIKE504] [#36]
Working on putting together an AR10 in 6.5CM. I have an FN SPR in .308 that shoots .5-.7 moa groups at 100, so for now I'll keep it as is for the closer stuff. Will eventually rebarrel to 6.5 or 6mm though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I have turned my bolt action 308 into a hunting gun. It started as a Rem Varmint 308. Now it is a east coast whitail gun (in my mind the perfet solution).

Barrel chopped and threaded at 20 inches, Still shooting way under 1/2 moa with my loads, Omega on the end, manners EH1 stock, and S&B 3-20 on top. This guy is handy and ready to take shots from 25yds to as far as I can see.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, don't settle... you need both!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top