Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2015 7:27:23 PM EDT
Which shotgun would u go with for a 3 gun and non competitive skeet and trap gun?  Is the extra money worth it for the m3k?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with the m3k.. I rarely shoot 3gun and was getting tired of waiting to find the m3k in stock and almost bought the m3000 instead.  I like having the features of the m3k and it only cost me about $100 more for the m3k over the 26" M3000
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The oversized controls can be run with mittens....well, except the trigger.  It would work great for hunting as well.  Its light and the 26' swings very nicely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the M3K... If you don't want to immediately drop a bunch of coin into oversized controls, opening the loading port, etc, it's a hell of a bargain.  Now, you'll probably want to change some things out and open the loading port more, but it's great to start with.

Personally, I've been running mine for three/four months and I love it... Fantastic shotgun at a great price.

One word of advice?  Immediately buy a Benelli extractor and extractor spring (although the spring from the Remington Versamax works, too... That's what I have in mine.)

The Stoeger's are inconsistent and you might have issues with extraction right from the get-go.  Mine did with some - not all - brands of shells.  People on line had been suggesting this for a couple of years and it made a world of difference.

Does it have the fit and finish of an M1/M2?  Hell no... And it has a horrible finish that wears really easily.  I don't care... It goes "chug-chug-chug" with whatever I put in it and the pellets come out the end where I want them to go.  The best part is that with a $550 shotgun I don't cringe when I throw it in the dump barrel and I could give a shit if it gets scratched up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The guys at MOA Precision had a "how to" on the extractor issue. They related that the prob was a rough extractor cut-out in the bolt and the extractor sides were rough also. A little work with a needle file and some extractor side smoothing did the trick. Read about it on BE.com.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope this thread is not too old to bump.  I wanted to report that I have picked an M3K for 3-gun competition myself.  It is a great gun for the money.  So far I have about 500 rounds through mine in testing and sporting clays.  My first competition is in two weeks.  I am looking into the Benelli extractor upgrade but so far I haven't found much information on it.   I think it may be a much-needed upgrade because my M3K will not extract Estate ammo at all.  On another note, I have found that my M3K light-strikes on Federal shells as well, which to me look to have a fairly deep primer seat.  It eats up anything with a Winchester logo on it however.  I have hope that with the extractor switch it will eject the Estate ammo just fine.
During the break-in process there were numerous feeding issues but I haven't been able to replicate any of them now that the gun is fully broken in.  I do highly recommend you follow the break-in procedure and fire the heaviest loads you can manage during that process.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My $.02.

I picked up my M3K last week, some 13 weeks after I ordered it. On the way out the door I bought some Estate 7 1/2 2.75" shells so I would have something to run through it. The M3K fed all 25 rounds perfectly, as well as another 125 rounds of the cheap Federal, Winchester, and Reminton loads from Wal-Mart. After these first rounds I stripped the gun and went to work on a few things. The trigger sucks. I polished the engagement surfaces with some 600 grit and that helped. I radiused the transition on the trigger guard to the loading port. I removed the extractor and deburred the slot for the extractor. I plan to do the MOA trigger screw mod and install the MOA disconnector. I have installed the new Taccom +5 XX extension tube and it has worked well. I have the later version loading port on mine and I think it will do for now. For less than $700 I have a shotgun that I think will be plenty reliable for the upcoming 3-gun season.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to add to the discussion of different ammo through these:

Took my M3K out today to shoot it for the first time and test out the MOA Precision +6 kit I added. I decided to take the leftover federal shells I had kicking around. 35 or so of the red, white, and blue 1 1/8oz at 1145 fps, 25 of the 1oz at 1250 fps, and 25 of the 7/8oz shot at 1200 fps - all 8 shot. The 1 1/8 went first, I had a few hiccups in the first few rounds and figured it might still be tight out of the box, or, more likely, I wasn't leaning in enough with my short, stick-figure build. the remaining 1 1/8oz went just fine. There might have been one FTE mixed in that I forgot to put in my notes, but as best I can remember it did well past the first six or seven.

Then I went straight to the 7/8oz and got to use my new M3K as a single-shot for 24 straight rounds, all FTE. The final one (barely) plopped out the side.

The 1oz shot had one FTE, ironically on the very last one.

As I have read, semi-auto shotguns tend to not like slow, light loads, such as the 7/8 I was using. I don't know much about shotguns just yet so I figured 1200 fps could maybe help make up for the light shot. I was wrong.

After reading about these extraction issues with cheaper ammo, I'm going to buy more of the cheap federal stuff that did cycle today to see what the longer-term reliability looks like or if there is a type that does work better. I'll also be bringing the Winchester AAs out next time, which I'm hoping will cycle real nice.

All in all, the trigger is a but clunky but I didn't have much trouble popping clays with it so I'll leave it be and see what I think once I start getting better. The MOA precision/Nordic Components +6 kit worked great with the spring cut to the recommended 16" past the installed tube. I also put the MOA Precision follower in. I never fired it with the stock follower so I don't know if it was any better but it pushed shells every time so... there's that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
11/8oz 3dram, after breaking mineit, m3000, not 3 gun version, it runs pretty much flawlessly. Lighter stuff it chokes
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put an M3k on layaway. What ammo are you guys running for competitions?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a M3000 with MOA precision upgraded charging handle, bolt release, and safety
I have polished the mag tube and driver
its smooth as I can get it but yes I does have problems with low brass bulk shells
I think most shotguns do though
Top Top