Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/23/2016 12:58:48 PM EDT
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?  I don't mean everybody but so many pictures I see on this and other websites.  My wife recently commented that they looks like men playing Army like kids.  You don't see pictures of many deer hunters dressed like that.  It's reminds me of me when I was 9 y/o playing Army with my neighborhood friends.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Because hog hunting and deer hunting are comparing apples and oranges in most places.

Hell I wish I had the money to get NVGs and Thermals to do that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
BDU's are comfortable and functional.

Not sure what you're referring to specifically OP, so maybe there's some real over the top types where you live. In general, I'm not a Mossy Oak / Browning antlers type.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]

How many of them are current/prior service and are already used to using that type of gear?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you care what other men wear?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Possible reasons:

1. Mil-type/mil-surp is tested and true. And sometimes even cheaper than equivalent hunting equipment.

2. Some of those guys/gals are mil-vets. They already have the stuff on hand.

3. This is America and we can do what we want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/50377915-pop-singer-seal-wearing-black-fedora-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QAYAM%2BLPQJl6jkMansbejKMWq06HZK48C43LoxjfadTogDBN6HIMzPD2GbLilgjUvVZs6vHvqIpXMj2qt3YkOAA%3D

Couldn't resist
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Because it does remind me of being 9 years old and playing Army with my neighborhood friends.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?  I don't mean everybody but so many pictures I see on this and other websites.  My wife recently commented that they looks like men playing Army like kids.  You don't see pictures of many deer hunters dressed like that.  It's reminds me of me when I was 9 y/o playing Army with my neighborhood friends.
View Quote

The same reason there are guys on here who have ever piece of tactical gear you can think of......but never do anything with their rifles but shoot paper once a year....

To each their own I guess....
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Whether you're putting down four legged pigs, or two, the gear and tactics are the same...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't care what they wear or what they use (as long as it was legal) but I just found it interesting how different some hog hunters are from other hunters.  I probably hunt hogs more frequently than 99% of other hog hunters and I probably kill more hogs than 99% of others and I hunt them wearing shorts and tee shirt armed with lever or bolt action rifle most of the time on my farm.  
I agree you should use what ever is available to you if you think it will work for your application...I have no problem with that.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it makes you feel any better, I always take a 30 round mag deer hunting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I've only hunted pigs on horseback with a knife but I get it.  

I think the difference is no one really gives a shit.  It doesn't matter how you kill'em, just kill all you can.  Over bait, at night, lights, NVGs,
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
We dress up like real manly men doing manly things in a manly way,,,,because the big macho tattoos hurt like hell !!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a hog hunter, but what do you consider "kitted out like a SEAL in Afghanistan"?
View Quote

This. And not to call you out in a negative way OP. Just curious as to what you consider over the top.

For example, A chest rig to hold mags and a Team wendy helmet for NODs isn't even close to kitting up. Simply the best tools for the job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, domesticated hogs are dangerous enough. If I'm gonna go stomping around looking for wild hogs, I'm gonna gear the fuck up.

So I don't blame 'em a bit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Tonight I will be going out with a helmet mounted TNVC L3 PVS-14 and a carbine sporting a DBAL-A4 D2. I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago from making my obligatory call to the SO.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. And not to call you out in a negative way OP. Just curious as to what you consider over the top.

For example, A chest rig to hold mags and a Team wendy helmet for NODs isn't even close to kitting up. Simply the best tools for the job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a hog hunter, but what do you consider "kitted out like a SEAL in Afghanistan"?

Again, it's not to criticize those that do go out fully geared but I'm more interested in the cultural difference between many hog hunters and (for the lack of better word) "traditional" hunters.  
For those of you that hunt hogs all "geared up" and hunt deer too, do you go out "geared up" when deer hunting?  
We had a group hog hunt at friends property last year around end of May.  It was hot as hell so couple of us showed up in the traditional shorts/tee shirts with bug suit over it and boots.  Later a group showed up and I thought we were getting raided by the local SWAT team because they showed up all dressed in multicam BDU, helmets with NV, chest rig with 8-10 AR mags, balaclava , spare pistol mags, thigh pistol holster, two way communication gears, backpack etc.  It looked like a movie scene where the SEALs were getting ready to raid the OBL compound.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't care what they wear or what they use (as long as it was legal) but I just found it interesting how different some hog hunters are from other hunters.  I probably hunt hogs more frequently than 99% of other hog hunters and I probably kill more hogs than 99% of others and I hunt them wearing shorts and tee shirt armed with lever or bolt action rifle most of the time on my farm.  
I agree you should use what ever is available to you if you think it will work for your application...I have no problem with that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good answer I have killed right around 500-600 with a .22 revolver. But if they want to dress up to kill hogs more power to them a good hog is a dead hog. Now if one of you was nice enough to give me a nice hood and NV to attach to it I'd wear it. But not with a pink Too-Too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I wear multicam when hunting deer and hogs because it works. I sometimes wear a chest rig I specifically set up for hunting because its easier to get binoculars, calls, camera out of than a backpack, helmet only when using NOD's. I do wear shorts and tshirt in the summer. I always have a tactical beard though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Again, it's not to criticize those that do go out fully geared but I'm more interested in the cultural difference between many hog hunters and (for the lack of better word) "traditional" hunters.  

For those of you that hunt hogs all "geared up" and hunt deer too, do you go out "geared up" when deer hunting?  

We had a group hog hunt at friends property last year around end of May.  It was hot as hell so couple of us showed up in the traditional shorts/tee shirts with bug suit over it and boots.  Later a group showed up and I thought we were getting raided by the local SWAT team because they showed up all dressed in multicam BDU, helmets with NV, chest rig with 8-10 AR mags, balaclava , spare pistol mags, thigh pistol holster, two way communication gears, backpack etc.  It looked like a movie scene where the SEALs were getting ready to raid the OBL compound.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I deer hunt, it depends on how I'm hunting.  If bow hunting from a lock on, it's full on camo with camo face netting and gloves.  If it's from a blind, it's blue jeans and a ball cap or whatever handy is lying around, even my work clothes from the day.  If it's night hunting hogs, it's a chance to work my SHTF gear such as thermal and NV.  And no one denies that thermal and NV gear work.  Besides the fun factor.  If it's hog hunting with my cur dogs, I'm wearing something briar resistance, yet cool because hog hunting with dogs is a high energy activity around here with grown up clear-cuts and briar infested hell holes the hogs like to find refuge in.

You'll never find me hog hunting with a chest rig, balaclava, thigh pistol holster, radio, backpacks, although I do wear a 9mm on my alice belt when hunting with hog dogs.  I find the alice suspender setup with pouches convenient to hang a flap holster, pouches to put the hobbles and cut kit (sutures and staples), and a convenient place to hang my SRK from.  I get ribbed by my friends that the setup is to "Rambo", but it works.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tonight I will be going out with a helmet mounted TNVC L3 PVS-14 and a carbine sporting a DBAL-A4. I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago from making my obligatory call to the SO.
View Quote

How did you get an A4 already? I thought I heard September for availability
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tonight I will be going out with a helmet mounted TNVC L3 PVS-14 and a carbine sporting a DBAL-A4 D2. I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago from making my obligatory call to the SO.

Hell, I don't even know what I'm hunting with.  Good catch.  

Here's a shot of my ghetto gear.  $20 bicycle helmet with a 550 lanyard.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Where ya hunting BMC?
BMCBreeder
Tonight I will be going out with a helmet mounted TNVC L3 PVS-14 and a carbine sporting a DBAL-A4 D2
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]
If you could hunt deer with the same absence of restrictions you can hogs, guys absolutely would use the same equipment.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  I'm not allowed to do a mag dump into a herd of deer.  
With hogs anything is fair game.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Deer hunters are not going into situations where groups of 1 to 20 deer are fair game and can also be a threat to your safety

2. Many times pig hunting is harder work and the gear worn is what is most comfortable and cost effective. BDUs fit that bill for many.

What is being hunted and how it is being hunted is just different in many cases. Sometimes is is very similar. That is why you see various approaches up to and including getting ready to go into battle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I just wear shorts and a tee shirt and then when the mosquitoes start tearing me up I remember that I should be wearing pants and sleeves.   Mainly I just don't fee like hauling all that cool kid stuff around.   Hogs are different than deer because hogs are scrappy and it just seems like a real fight.   Deer you have maybe one shot if you're lucky.   Plus the hogs taste way better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you SEEN those damn things?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Because them fuckers can see , better than you or I ;)
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#31]
You guys are doing it wrong.  

Around here people "hunt" deer and hogs over a food plot or feeder. I go with a buddy one weekend of the year and shoot my yearly limit of deer and as many hogs as I can gun down. Its not even a challenge.

It goes like this... Get to the stand before daybreak. Load up the AR while sipping my coffee. Few minutes later and the feeder goes off. The deer or hogs come out dancing and feeling fine celebrating the free grub.

I wear cargo shorts, t-shirt and flip flops and I kill whole herds of hogs. i don't call it hunting, I call it shooting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#32]
when they attack combat flipflops and board shorts are not enough
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#33]
One side of the truth is, plainly, it's fun for a boy to play solider.

There ain't nothing wrong about it, too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can they, I always thought that they had poor eye sight?
I'm always sneaking up on them during the daytime with shorts and a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Fudds and their bloodsports.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd probably be halfway there if there were hogs around for me to shoot.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#37]
When I was in HS, we used to drink beer, go crank up the airboat, at night, and cruise around looking for hogs.  Then whoever had the most beers would jump off onto the running hog and wrestle him.  Or sometimes run him over if we didn't want to keep it alive.  That was pretty high speed if you ask me.    No nods though, just an aircraft landing light on the head of the driver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss the time when people supported gear/mission relationships.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have crappy eyesight.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Where ya hunting BMC?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where ya hunting BMC?

BMCBreeder

Tonight I will be going out with a helmet mounted TNVC L3 PVS-14 and a carbine sporting a DBAL-A4 D2
Jackson Parish.  I didn't kill a darn thing, got my gear dusty as hell, but I had a great time.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#42]
When's last time you got a chance to gun down more than four mammals with dog like intelligence? Hunting hogs from the ground, ambush style  is dangerous.  I go heavy.  AR 10 in 7mm08 w spare mag, and G21.  I let em walk right into me, and then I begin taking the closest to farthest .  Finally got charged last year he didn't make it, stoped at about 13 feet towards me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When's last time you got a chance to gun down more than four mammals with dog like intelligence? Hunting hogs from the ground, ambush style  is dangerous.  I go heavy.  AR 10 in 7mm08 w spare mag, and G21.  I let em walk right into me, and then I begin taking the closest to farthest .  Finally got charged last year he didn't make it, stoped at about 13 feet towards me.
View Quote

Sounds like Sargent York killing Huns
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Blue jeans and a t-shirt for me, usually (plus a jacket if it's cold)... same as deer hunting.

I own some camo stuff, thanks to my shithead friends (I made fun of guys wearing camo like a bunch of wannabes, got camo everything for Xmas that year), and I admit it's comfy (yes, I wear it sometimes), but I'm not into tactical gear for hunting (or anything else, really).  None of the animals I hunt seem fashion conscious.

Rifle, ammo, pocket knife, hat (sometimes binos)... That's about all I carry.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think any chance to run the gear that you have in ANY type of actual shooting environment is a good way to train. Whether Hog hunting, hitting the range, or playing ninja in the desert,it's good to train with and use your gear. It's the best way to be proficient with the equipment you spent thousands on. I'd go to the grocery store in a chest rig with a slung M4 if I could.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think any chance to run the gear that you have in ANY type of actual shooting environment is a good way to train.
Whether Hog hunting, hitting the range, or playing ninja in the desert,it's good to train with and use your gear. It's the best way to be proficient with the equipment you spent thousands on. I'd go to the grocery store in a chest rig with a slung M4 if I could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think any chance to run the gear that you have in ANY type of actual shooting environment is a good way to train.
Whether Hog hunting, hitting the range, or playing ninja in the desert,it's good to train with and use your gear. It's the best way to be proficient with the equipment you spent thousands on. I'd go to the grocery store in a chest rig with a slung M4 if I could.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/NGI_Sam/media/IMG_0954_zpsd8cihxfu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/NGI_Sam/IMG_0954_zpsd8cihxfu.jpg</a>

Is this too over the top? Also some of us are Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and other places and have, through years of war become all to familiar with the gear we are kitted up with. Call it what you want, but I have a lot of mission support gear should something arise in the field, from a gunshot wound to a hog attack to a broken leg.
View Quote

did you kill bin laden?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's my problem... I don't "run my gear" or "train"...
I just spend as much time as I can in the woods killing stuff.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe that's my problem... I don't "run my gear" or "train"...
I just spend as much time as I can in the woods killing stuff.
View Quote

It's not a problem IMO.

We can all do our own thing and have fun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top