Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not a problem IMO.

We can all do our own thing and have fun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's my problem... I don't "run my gear" or "train"...
I just spend as much time as I can in the woods killing stuff.

It's not a problem IMO.

We can all do our own thing and have fun.

True that.

Luckily hogs are just as dead either way...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?
View Quote

I think you have it backwards.

If you look at it historically over time, hunters were using these stealth methods and techniques long before anyone in any .mil. So in reality it is the SEALs that are dressed like hunters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Where I come from we don't worry about what other men wear.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to add an answer that probably 90% of hog hunters using that gear besides that it works, it's also fun to dress up and hunt them down and kill them. Call it, wanna be manliness or whatever, it's just plain fun to dress up in full regalia.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?  I don't mean everybody but so many pictures I see on this and other websites.  My wife recently commented that they looks like men playing Army like kids.  You don't see pictures of many deer hunters dressed like that.  It's reminds me of me when I was 9 y/o playing Army with my neighborhood friends.

I think any chance to run the gear that you have in ANY type of actual shooting environment is a good way to train.
Whether Hog hunting, hitting the range, or playing ninja in the desert,it's good to train with and use your gear. It's the best way to be proficient with the equipment you spent thousands on. I'd go to the grocery store in a chest rig with a slung M4 if I could.

Oh OK, you're hardcore

Whatever bud. I saved you some money on a dictionary:

Definition of training. : a process by which someone is taught the skills that are needed for an art, profession, or job.

Unless you are just constantly in the woods learning to suck at it, you ARE training. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm donning my ghillie suit, I have to go grab coffee from Starbucks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

To be fair, is he "being taught"? Unless he's receiving instruction, its "practice" not "training".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh OK, you're hardcore

Definition of training. : a process by which someone is taught the skills that are needed for an art, profession, or job.

Unless you are just constantly in the woods learning to suck at it, you ARE training. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm donning my ghillie suit, I have to go grab coffee from Starbucks.

To be fair, is he "being taught"? Unless he's receiving instruction, its "practice" not "training".
I would say it depends on what he's training for.  Nature is the best instructor when it comes to hunting.  Pass or fail can be summed up by sustained injuries and meat in the freezer.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh OK, you're hardcore

I grew up in the boonies surrounded by older people who grew up in the boonies.  I didn't grow up with a TV, I had a rifle, a pocketknife, and a fishing pole (and not much else). There wasn't always indoor plumbing, and most of the meat we ate was obtained someplace other than a grocery store. If that's your definition of "hardcore", whatever. You want to kill hogs, grab a rifle and go shoot one (if you're smarter/hungrier, you'll trap them instead).  I'm not practicing or training, I just go out in the woods (for days at a time, occasionally), and do the shit I've always done.  Living in town is something I do for the money.  It's not my preferred lifestyle, but AC, hot showers and toilets are pretty nice, and the older I get the more I prefer my mattress to the ground or the back of a truck.

I laugh at the word "train", because that implies improving skills toward some kind of goal.  if I'm hunting, my only goal is to hang out in the woods and kill something. It's honestly not so difficult that it takes much "training"... you find where the critters are, figure out when they're there, you find a spot nearby where you're difficult to see/smell, get there before them, sit still and be quiet, and shoot them when you see them.  I don't need to "run my gear", because there isn't a lot of gear. If I'm setting up camp for a few days, yes, but after you've done it a few times you know what works and what doesn't. Bedroll, maybe some shelter, cooking gear, a way to make fire... Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you wish you had something you didn't bring. Sometimes the weather sucks.  You deal with it or pack up and go someplace else.  None of that shit is all that hard.

You are of course welcome to do it however you want, or wrap it up in whatever pseudo-militaresque terminology makes you feel better. Maybe you were in the military and that's the only way you know to describe it. Whatever. Hell, maybe I'd be a better hunter if I trained, ran my gear, etc too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Huns.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Huns.

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/oneissuevoter/media/85712470-6EC3-4DD5-81D8-85882134EB2D.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/oneissuevoter/85712470-6EC3-4DD5-81D8-85882134EB2D.jpg</a>
View Quote

Here piggy, piggy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting discussion.  One of my hunting buddies dresses like OP describes when we hunt hogs.  Two of the landowners have commented to me that he looks like he's about to rob a bank or join the mujahideen.  If you're knocking on doors and asking for access to a property, dress like a normal hunter and leave the GI JOE shit at home.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
When you are night hunting on your own property, do whatever the fuck you want.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
When we hunt near Freer, TX it's mostly over feeders and we very rarely stalk hogs. For the most part I have a condor od green coat, tan or brown carhartt pants or just jeans. I have a tan team Wendy helmet to hold the gen 3 ab nv pitbull. I don't think of myself as being super operator of the century, I just hunt and couldn't care less what someone thinks I am wearing. By the 3rd day I stink so bad the cloths go in a plastic bag for the drive home, plus I don't wear anything I really care about because if you track down a hog in the brush your clothes get ripped to shreds anyways. Ok on the soapbox: who cares what someone wears to help get rid of a invasive species that reproduce faster than a fsa food stamp collector living in government housing. My grandfather killed tons of ducks, pheasant and deer wearing red flannel and bright orange at times nobody ever said a word to that guy about his hunting fashion sense. Point being hunt with what you have and works for you if that means you look like tier 1 GI Juan cool, or Elmer fudd that's cool too. Just get out doors and sling lead into the vermin hog and enjoy the freedom and fun of the hunt. If a person is not wanting someone to wear certain items of clothing hunting on their property by all means that's their right and shouldn't be questioned, but those property owners or ranchers should be happy someone is trying to control the population of a destructive species.....ok off soapbox.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]
As one of the previous guys mentioned, I do use a chest rig for a lot of hunting applications simply because it's a handy way to have maybe 1 or 2 mags, some snacks, bottle of water, my phone, knife, first aid kit, etc. all handy within easy reach.  It's designed for that so it's a good tool to use.  Add big pouches and it's really handy for waterfowl hunting believe it or not.  Other than that I don't get all ninja for putting meat in the freezer or pests in the ground but yes a few modern conveniences are nice.  I'm just a 3 gun and USPSA guy who occasionally gets out to put holes in excess critter population, don't consider myself to be anything other than that.

I will say that something taken from the .mil world that's really darn useful is QuikClot and Israeli bandages.  I never go hunting or fishing without them and one time it paid off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Ops Core Helmet with NVG
Rifle + Can + PEQ
Crye pants or 5.11s
Salomon or Merrells
Battlebelt / Pistol etc..
Polo or T-shirt
Northface backpack w/ gear and extra mags.
Am I too tactical?

My response to this is that anyone smart enough to utilize
gear like this knows that almost all if not all military technology
and gear has civilian applications. In the case of hunting,
load bearing equipment works the best. Some guys, including
myself like to buy and use the best. I do not wear my PC, as
it's mainly for training, LE work and just because. But if I did
I wouldn't give two fucks about people judging me.

Edit.

Let me add that "hog hunting" is almost always hardly hunting..
I do not generally harvest my kills, as I consider them as pests
and my actions as extermination. Comparing us to deer hunters,
which is someone I am, isn't even close.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last hog I killed laughed at me for showing up in gym shorts, a shirt, and rubber boots. Was asleep when the phone went off after receiving a pic from the trail cam. Boots were bedside and rifle/NVGS were by the door. Walked about ten minutes, they laughed at my attire, I shot the biggest one. Dominance proven.

In retrospect I prolly should have spent at least 5 minutes applying face paint
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The last hog I killed laughed at me for showing up in gym shorts, a shirt, and rubber boots. Was asleep when the phone went off after receiving a pic from the trail cam. Boots were bedside and rifle/NVGS were by the door. Walked about ten minutes, they laughed at my attire, I shot the biggest one. Dominance proven.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
my kit, for night stalk hunting:

AR, 10 round mag loaded, NV scope
pistol in OWB, one mag loaded
pocket knife
OD Duluth Trading lightweight cargo pants
snake boots
UA turtleneck long sleeve camo shirt
boonie hat or ball cap
gloves

backpack load out:
extra 10 round mag
2-3 bottles Gatorade
1-2 snack bars
gutting/cleaning knives and sharpener
nitrile gloves
paracord and carabiners to make game drag
various bug and scent sprays
white flashlight with spare battery
green flashlight with spare battery
battery pack charger for GPS/phone

Is this excessive? I don't like to expose skin because of skeeters. I'm also not carrying anything I don't need, as weight is a factor in a stalk or even when I'm walking in to my tree stand. Sometimes I don't even take my pistol, and sometimes I wish I had when I see a friggin giant rattler.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like your style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style.

X2 I killed two shoults in my underwear and cowboy boots just because they were out by back yard trying to get into the yard. Oh I forgot my ball cap can't go outdoors indecent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Gym shorts and rubber boots struck again early this morning! Came through about 0330. Popped the sow and few young'uns. Kids now days need to be disciplined

Learned a lesson tonight too, sleep in socks. I tossed on the Mucks and had hot spots develop within 30 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

X2 I killed two shoults in my underwear and cowboy boots just because they were out by back yard trying to get into the yard. Oh I forgot my ball cap can't go outdoors indecent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style.

If I'm "going commando" when I kill something, it means I specifically require no load beating gear.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I'm "going commando" when I kill something, it means I specifically require no load beating gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style.

What about the loin cloth Tactical Jock strap got to have some load bearing gear. I'm not man enough to go barefooted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I gear up because I don't want the hogs to think I am a sissy and  laugh at me...
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I gear up because I don't want the hogs to think I am a sissy and  laugh at me...
View Quote

touché
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Because it's fucking fun!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Because you hunt deer and you eradicate hogs
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I use whatever enables me to bring down the most if not all of the hogs in any group I come across. Yes that means an at, extra mags, suppressors, nv, and thermal. I only hunt them in the sense that sometimes I find them, sometimes not.

My single best night is 19 by myself. 16 were from a group of about 20. I have come upon sounders of 30+ many times. You're not gonna do much to that with a bolt action or lever gun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I use whatever enables me to bring down the most if not all of the hogs in any group I come across. Yes that means an at, extra mags, suppressors, nv, and thermal. I only hunt them in the sense that sometimes I find them, sometimes not.

My single best night is 19 by myself. 16 were from a group of about 20. I have come upon sounders of 30+ many times. You're not gonna do much to that with a bolt action or lever gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best answer yet.  How many people were with you to get 19?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Same reason people put a winch,snorkel, roof rack and a 5 ton jack on their jeep knowing the only time it will be " off road" is when the are installing way oversized tires on it.... Because they can.

John
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He says he was rolling solo, impressive to say the least
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Sir! Very My solo average is 3-6 per night if I get into them. I have killed more than that in one night but I caught 3 sows with little ones crossing a shallow river. And the traps loaded up that night.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes Sir! Very My solo average is 3-6 per night if I get into them. I have killed more than that in one night but I caught 3 sows with little ones crossing a shallow river. And the traps loaded up that night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing like rolling up on a trap and hearing the squeals of a full load...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are serious about eradicating hogs stop shooting them and start trapping them.  
You'll never eradicate hogs by shooting them but you can eradicate them by trapping entire sounders in large pen type traps.
While I agree it's fun and exciting to hunt hogs (especially in the dark) and I do it too but you are not eradicating hogs...you are just out having fun shooting hogs with big boy's toys but that's okay too.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
The night I shot that many a few factors contributed to. Wind was perfect and I was able to get between them and the woods they came out of. It was flat open field in every other direction. I shot the first 6 or so and the others split in 3 different directions out into the open field. I ran back to the 4 wheeler and started with the down wind bunch and ran them all down and shot them on the move. It was good fun.

I usually hunt with a buddy and I'd say average for when we do see hogs is 8-10 kills a night but there have been a few 20+ nights.

My dad is semi retired with more time on his hands and handles the trapping side. 2-400+ a year is normal but as everyone knows pigs are smart and there are some out there that you're just not going to trap. There are always those that have been trapped and let loose, broke out or got hung in the gate while it tripped and got out and they're never going back in. Add to that trying to trap around corn, milo and other crops and trap bait is hard to make appealing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The night I shot that many a few factors contributed to. Wind was perfect and I was able to get between them and the woods they came out of. It was flat open field in every other direction. I shot the first 6 or so and the others split in 3 different directions out into the open field. I ran back to the 4 wheeler and started with the down wind bunch and ran them all down and shot them on the move. It was good fun.

I usually hunt with a buddy and I'd say average for when we do see hogs is 8-10 kills a night but there have been a few 20+ nights.

My dad is semi retired with more time on his hands and handles the trapping side. 2-400+ a year is normal but as everyone knows pigs are smart and there are some out there that you're just not going to trap. There are always those that have been trapped and let loose, broke out or got hung in the gate while it tripped and got out and they're never going back in. Add to that trying to trap around corn, milo and other crops and trap bait is hard to make appealing.
View Quote

Very true you have to use a combined approach to hog eradication. I had shot the lead boar before trapping this group of 18.

This is the boar I nailed a couple of nights before. He had escaped last winter.

And they may disappear for weeks at a time before showing back up. Some sounders can be so dumb that you wonder how they found their way to your property and others literally make you want to pull your hair out. It's like they have a paid informant watching your front door.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?  I don't mean everybody but so many pictures I see on this and other websites.  My wife recently commented that they looks like men playing Army like kids.  You don't see pictures of many deer hunters dressed like that.  It's reminds me of me when I was 9 y/o playing Army with my neighborhood friends.
View Quote

I've always wondered this too. I have friends who are hunters who put on the full camo, snake boots and all, then mount an ATV and drive it to, and park it under, a fully enclosed blind. I asked one "WTF?" He said he wore camo in case he had to get out of the blind and go after a deer. ".....oh. OK."

ETA, hogs have a terrible sense of sight and likely wouldn't know if you were wearing camo or a pink tutu, but their sense of smell is incredibly acute.

Last March I crawled through some broomweed to within about 42 yards of this sow, stood up, took careful aim and shot her.

She never saw me. One of her companions ran out about 50 yds. and stopped, and also never saw me. It was mid-afternoon and I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a ball cap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't get all multicammed out because I know hogs can't see that well. I have thought about rigging up some sort of light chest rig though for probably 2 mags, flashlight, ir illuminator and a pouch for some paper towels. I tried a warbelt type setup but I'm usually riding around most of the time and it wasn't comfortable. Right now I keep my helmet, nvg, thermal, spare mags, etc. in a pack and grab that and my gun and go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Delete
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you are serious about eradicating hogs stop shooting them and start trapping them.  
You'll never eradicate hogs by shooting them but you can eradicate them by trapping entire sounders in large pen type traps.
While I agree it's fun and exciting to hunt hogs (especially in the dark) and I do it too but you are not eradicating hogs...you are just out having fun shooting hogs with big boy's toys but that's okay too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arguing that night vision and thermal aren't effective is silly to me Often times, the whole sounder doesn't get trapped.  This allows the untrapped ones to be educated and know not to go in traps. They then teach other hogs not to go in traps. U can't eradicate the smart ones that won't go in traps by trapping. Trapping is effective. Two guys going out with night vision and thermal and recovering 59 bodies in a weekend is also effective. The combination of trapping and shooting with thermal/nv is extra effective.
This thread from a different hog hunting site has some good info on the subject. http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/hog-trapping-vs-thermal-eradication.6115/
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Deer hinting = sitting and waiting

Hog hunting = hiking at night

In my experience anyways.

But I still don't look like seal team 6.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whether you're putting down four legged pigs, or two, the gear and tactics are the same...
View Quote

Should I smear muslim blood on the bullets to taint the pigs as unclean so the pigs I shoot will be denied entrance to piggie heaven?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Load beating
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Load beating
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Load beating

Damn touchscreen phone keyboard...
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Load beating

Yeah, right. You do that chit out inna woods?!?
Hope I don't trip across that image in thermal. Eeeewwww.    d;^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Load beating

Look for the warm spot...
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Why use BDUs and flecktarn for the woods.........
1) I'm the jackass who gets to do special chores like fix the truck or change the tire. And I usually wind up coated in grease.
2) It's cheap and really well made.
3) I still have my Alice belt from High School. Works just fine and it's broken in.
4) Sometimes I really don't want to be seen. Especially while morel mushroom hunting.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top