Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2015 10:54:01 PM EDT
Not really hunting.I was on a call about a nuisance hog that did some major damage to a lil old ladys yard.
I was setting up a corral trap and I turned around and it was about 30 yards from me, tearing up the yard. Big black hairy and fat.
It came into the yard while I was working there. I didn't have my bow or a gun. I kicked some metal t posts and looked at it
to see if it would run but it just looked at me. I went home to get my bow and my ar15. It spooked as I came back into the yard.
About a half hour later it came back into the yard. I had to walk past the hog to get my gun. Then I walked around to a big stump
to setup my shot and if he charged jump on to. The hog walked straight to me. It got to about ten yards and I put my red dot between his eyes and fired. At first he acted like he wanted to kill me then the pain set in and it started jumping around. I thought it would drop and die with a close range 223 bullet between the eyes, but It managed to get back close to the woods and as it tried to run off I put another in his side. He still got away. I looked everywhere. Mind you it was muck and swamp and vines and saw grass. I saw a couple drops of blood where he went in but couldn't find anymore blood. I searched all kinds of pig trails. The only place I didn't search was the mucky hole I would of had to crawl on my belly through wet mud into a small hog trail under the saw grass. It got dark and I called it a night.

Im going to go back in the morning to find it. It cant be too far.

It was dark about hour after it got shot. If I get there before the sun gets hot is there a chance to save the meat?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't risk it.

You might have been so close that you didn't correct for the undershoot.  Probably got him in the nose.

That being said, a friend of mine once caught a sow in a trap with her right eye and a big chunk of her head blown away.  Full of maggots, but she was still nursing piglets.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't risk it.

You might have been so close that you didn't correct for the undershoot.  Probably got him in the nose.
That being said, a friend of mine once caught a sow in a trap with her right eye and a big chunk of her head blown away.  Full of maggots, but she was still nursing piglets.
View Quote

Youre right I have never shot it that close at anything and it was dialed in for 50 yards. I know I didn't hit the brain. I feel like I should finish it off.
Was thinking about bring my 12 gauge and see if that works? I have a slug then a 00 buckshot then slug and so on. Its tough terrain you go very far and your
up to your knees in muck. Ill go look for buzzards and see if its down close by.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Pigs are tough animals, what bullet type were you using?

As others have said you probably hit low.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of people around here shooting pigs in the forehead with a .44 magnum and the bullet not penetrating the skull.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
With a 50yard zero you will have approximately 2.5'' of sight offset from about 30yds and in. You shot him in the snout.

I have a good collection of hog skulls with 223 bullet holes in them. Right in the forehead is one of my favorite shots.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
He was no where to be found. Could be still alive. That's crazy. I heard more pigs on both sides of a trail I was on today. I couldn't see them it was too dense.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You need penetration AND expansion with the round you are using otherwise the round just carries through. Sometimes hogs are too stupid to know they are dead and I have no doubt your hog is dead and probably being eaten by turkey vultures right now.

Good rounds for .223/5.56 are 62gr Federal Fusion, 62gr Remington Hog Hammer, 62gr Winchester Razorback, and anything with Barnes bullets.

We shot a hog in the head with a .308 from 30 yards and it took off. The next day we found it 3/4 mile away being eaten by vultures. When we checked the head, there was an entry hole and an exit hole, the round had gone right through the head. Several weeks later, I hit a hog with my blackout, same thing, head shot and it took off, we found it the next day being eaten by vultures 40 yards from where we stopped looking for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Im going back tomorrow to set up a trap, if I see the vultures ill look again. Yeah I will get some better bullets from here on out for hogs.
Or use my 12 guage
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually shoot them in the ear or a couple in the chest and at the heart
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Buckshot is almost always better than slugs in my book.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Between the eyes is not an ideal location for pigs from head on angle.  You want further back, or at least from a top down angle.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need penetration AND expansion with the round you are using otherwise the round just carries through. Sometimes hogs are too stupid to know they are dead and I have no doubt your hog is dead and probably being eaten by turkey vultures right now.

Good rounds for .223/5.56 are 62gr Federal Fusion, 62gr Remington Hog Hammer, 62gr Winchester Razorback, and anything with Barnes bullets.

We shot a hog in the head with a .308 from 30 yards and it took off. The next day we found it 3/4 mile away being eaten by vultures. When we checked the head, there was an entry hole and an exit hole, the round had gone right through the head. Several weeks later, I hit a hog with my blackout, same thing, head shot and it took off, we found it the next day being eaten by vultures 40 yards from where we stopped looking for it.
View Quote

You need to hit the brain case, hitting the head isn't good enough.  The problem isn't expansion; you can't drill a .224 hole through it's brain and not kill it.  

Expansion does help if you aren't hitting the CNS.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Height over Boar lol....ill be here all week.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im going back tomorrow to set up a trap, if I see the vultures ill look again. Yeah I will get some better bullets from here on out for hogs.
Or use my 12 guage
View Quote

I use 55 gr. FMJ out of a 10.5" AR pistol.
You shot too low.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I totally shot low. I set up a c corral trap maybe he will come back so I can catch him. I will use buck shot. I would feel better with that when cruising the swamp for a wounded hog.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I totally shot low. I set up a c corral trap maybe he will come back so I can catch him. I will use buck shot. I would feel better with that when cruising the swamp for a wounded hog.
View Quote

Meh, in all likely hood he's dead by now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hah, height over bore means height under boar at close range.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Big bore for the big boar?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The two hogs that I have shot in the face both ran off, never found either.
The big sow that I shot with turkey load from about ten feet ran for over a mile (lost the sign in the dark) crashing through fences and everything else.
The boar took a 556 from about fifteen feet in the side of the face and it went down hard only to get up and run off.

Both times I was not hunting hogs and were opportunity situations but what beasts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
You didn't hit him like you thought you did. I've dropped 200lbers with a shot between the eyes with a .22LR.  You probably got him in the eye or grazed him.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid, I saw my Dad shoot a big hog with a 30-30. It fell, but got up and headed right for us. We had been sitting by a tree at the edge of a trail we drove through that was covered in water.

My old man shoot 6 more times at that hog with a 357 before he eventually went down. I was scared shitless! My Dad was just worried that he might try to bore us, but I wouldn't say he was scared. Almost like he had dealt with that before.

They can be pretty tough to kill head on!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
It's been a couple years since I posted the story here but long story short I shot a large hog in the head with a 308.  Thought he was done, moved my rifle to another window of my deer stand to try and get a second pig, and the big boy got right back up and ran off.  About a year after that I shot 4 hogs at the same feeder.  Didn't think much about it until a week or two later I noticed one of their skulls looked like this (see pic below)!   You can see how all the bone around the hole is darker...I'm assuming from the trauma of the hit.  The hole looks bad, but I'm certain it was just a glancing hit and the bullet didn't actually enter the skull. That hog survived and did just fine...it had even gotten considerably larger over the course of a year or so.  Pretty amazing how tough these things can be...I have a video of the impact and him getting up too... I'll try to find it.

Here's the video of it, and a pic of the day I got him for real (turn up the volume....he was pissed!):
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_nL4JI7b0&feature=youtu.be

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience they always kick and flop around. If they can get their feet back under them they are gone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's been a couple years since I posted the story here but long story short I shot a large hog in the head with a 308.  Thought he was done, moved my rifle to another window of my deer stand to try and get a second pig, and the big boy got right back up and ran off.  About a year after that I shot 4 hogs at the same feeder.  Didn't think much about it until a week or two later I noticed one of their skulls looked like this (see pic below)!   You can see how all the bone around the hole is darker...I'm assuming from the trauma of the hit.  The hole looks bad, but I'm certain it was just a glancing hit and the bullet didn't actually enter the skull. That hog survived and did just fine...it had even gotten considerably larger over the course of a year or so.  Pretty amazing how tough these things can be...I have a video of the impact and him getting up too... I'll try to find it.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/jcs1931/308BounceResult_zpsrban7y9y.jpg
View Quote

Well dang.  You might if I publish this on facebook?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#25]
No problem...I added a picture from the day I finally bagged him for good and the video of the hit and him getting up and running off to my earlier post.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No problem...I added a picture from the day I finally bagged him for good and the video of the hit and him getting up and running off to my earlier post.
View Quote

Thanks, posted here

www.facebook.com/LouisianaHogControl/
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s928.photobucket.com/user/jcs1931/media/308BounceResult_zpsrban7y9y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/jcs1931/308BounceResult_zpsrban7y9y.jpg</a>

View Quote

I'll be damned.  With the skull pic and the video, it's pretty hard to call BS on that story.  It is amazing how tough these bastards are.  

The first boar I killed had a muzzy broadhead that was inside the plate on opposite shoulder when we butchered him, and the scar tissue was old.  Had to have gone through at least one lung.  A buddy and I took 50 or 60 yard shots at the same time with a 125SST 300 BLK and whatever hunting bullet he was using in 223 at a 220lb broadside sow.  2 separate entries about 1.5" apart - both in heart, one softball sized exit.  And that thing turned and charged us and damn near made it.  One of us got lucky at about 15 feet and put a hole pretty much exactly where the one in the pic is.  Tough SOBs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks, posted here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, posted here

Cool Thx
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Cool Thx
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, posted here

Cool Thx

Well here's a coincidence.

I found a big lonely boar in the rice last night.  Shot him with 5.56 from about 40 yards out and heard the bullet go tumbling after hitting him in the noggin.  :D

It knocked him silly for about 30 seconds then he got up and ran off.  Took 3 more hits to make him stop.  As usual, I hit high because thats pretty much all I could see of him above the rice and I was using an IR laser.  Tough suckers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I found a big lonely boar in the rice last night.  Shot him with 5.56 from about 40 yards out and heard the bullet go tumbling after hitting him in the noggin.  :D
It knocked him silly for about 30 seconds then he got up and ran off.  Took 3 more hits to make him stop.  As usual, I hit high because thats pretty much all I could see of him above the rice and I was using an IR laser.  Tough suckers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, posted here

Cool Thx

Ha!  Good on you for shooting him until done...instead of waiting a full year and getting lucky like I ended up doing...I got greedy and tried to go for a second pig
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With a 50yard zero you will have approximately 2.5'' of sight offset from about 30yds and in. You shot him in the snout.

I have a good collection of hog skulls with 223 bullet holes in them. Right in the forehead is one of my favorite shots.
View Quote

With the sight offset are not close shots going to go high compared to the aiming point?  I am thinking the shot skidded off the top of his skull .

I thought the point of using a AR was to pour at least a handful of shots into them nasty varmints

(yeah I know its not that simple )
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

With the sight offset are not close shots going to go high compared to the aiming point?  I am thinking the shot skidded off the top of his skull .

I thought the point of using a AR was to pour at least a handful of shots into them nasty varmints

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Your sights are approx. 2.5'' higher than the bore and the bullet doesn't start to cross the line of sight until around 30-40yds. At 100yds it is about 1.4'' high and starts to level back out again the closer to 200yds it gets. This is with a 50/200yd zero.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

dang!!!!! nice shot
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In my experience they always kick and flop around. If they can get their feet back under them they are gone.
View Quote

I have to say your experience is right in line with mine (although I'm sure my sample size is a lot smaller than yours).  I shot one in the backyard recently...square in the shoulder...a bit high.  Dropped him in his tracks, he flopped around a bit and squealed a lot.  He was alone so I had no reason to try and get a shot off at another hog.  Stayed put and kept my sights on him.  About 10 seconds later he jumps up and bolts toward my property line.  2nd shot hit in in the head and he was done. He was a small hog too (~65lb)...really wasn't figuring that he'd get up, but that's what they do I guess.:)
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No. Your sights are approx. 2.5'' higher than the bore and the bullet doesn't start to cross the line of sight until around 30-40yds. At 100yds it is about 1.4'' high and starts to level back out again the closer to 200yds it gets. This is with a 50/200yd zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.   To adjust for this think "Aim 2 inch high out to 10 yards, maybe 1.5 at 15, 1 inch at 25 yards", etc.  Remember your sight offsets.     Better yet, shoot carefully at paper at close range first to get an idea of exact difference at range.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Bushman what bullet?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, posted here

Cool Thx

Bushman what bullet?

Not sure really, it could have been some trash ball ammo I had hanging around.  I shoot so much that I don't bother with shooting the good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a lot of air pocket in the top of that noggin.  Add 2 or 3 inches of hair standing on end and what you think is a brain shot is just ventilation to the sinus cavity.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top