Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2014 5:18:31 AM EDT
say you are night hunting hogs w/ a NV device and an aiming laser.  Is it really important to use an IR laser rather than red?  Can hogs even see red?  Do they flip out when they see a dot?

It would be nice to be able to just use the red laser I have rather than have to get and zero in an IR laser and swap between them etc.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
anything will work until they associate it with danger

if they cannot see it, they cannot react
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You will spook way more hogs/varmints with a red/green laser than you will with an IR laser. I'd bet good money on that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine the bloom would be a problem. I've never looked at a visible laser through NODs before though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'll hvave to look at one of my red lasrs through my PVS
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I imagine the bloom would be a problem. I've never looked at a visible laser through NODs before though.
View Quote

The blooming is not bad.  I use the visible laser on my DBAL to keep our cows from following me around at night.

I would not use a visible laser at night when hog hunting.  It will spook them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
thx guys.  yes, I guess I'll get an IR laser for that.  THey are pretty cheap thankfully.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thx guys.  yes, I guess I'll get an IR laser for that.  THey are pretty cheap thankfully.
View Quote

If you cannot afford an IR laser like a DBAl or a CQBL one option if yu have a PVS14 is to have the aimpoint twist mount and TM14 device you can quickly detach from you helment and mount it behind a red dot once you get lose enough to shoot

its a stop gap and not perfect but in a pinch itll help you
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a red/green laser from time to time.

Works fine, just do not wave it around like a light saber. Only turn it on when you are ready to press trigger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an issue since they are so low power.  Less bloom than a full power IR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you've ponied up for a PVS 14, get an IR laser for it. It may be useful for something beyond hogs.

I have an LDI otal that works great. It returns pretty damn close to zero too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you've ponied up for a PVS 14, get an IR laser for it. It may be useful for something beyond hogs.

I have an LDI otal that works great. It returns pretty damn close to zero too.
View Quote

The otal is a great value.  Heck, even a rail master would work for a starter laser that wont break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
probably gong to get a rial master b/c of its size weight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an Aimpoint M3 on my .300BLK and use a helmet mounted PVS-14. That setup works fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool! Thanks for the info. Might come in handy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used visible Red lasers on hogs for a while now (before IR civilian lasers were near reasonable in price & I didn't have the time/resources/desire to build my own).  Bloom "can" be an issue, depending on the environment.  Dark nights, high humidity, and a hog with a lot of hair gives me a paper plate sized bloom through my NODs @ 100 yds vs. lots of moon illum, low humidity, less hairy pig gives me ~2" dot.

I don't turn the laser on until I'm getting ready to shoot, and I haven't seen any negative reaction from hogs to it yet.  Ergo I'll keep using it until I break down & buy an IR laser.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Just so you guys know, if you hit a herd of pigs with a 200mW green laser from a UAV a coupla hundred feet in the air.... they usually run.

If you were harboring any hopes of them pouncing on it like cats and coaxing hem into a line of waiting gunman, it just doesn't work that way.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now if you can just place a remote blaster on that UAV....

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so you guys know, if you hit a herd of pigs with a 200mW green laser from a UAV a coupla hundred feet in the air.... they usually run.

If you were harboring any hopes of them pouncing on it like cats and coaxing hem into a line of waiting gunman, it just doesn't work that way.  

Vic

I'm working on it Vic
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm working on it Vic
<a href="http://s716.photobucket.com/user/atacorion/media/image_zpseb39c715.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/atacorion/image_zpseb39c715.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

I'm working on it Vic
<a href="http://s716.photobucket.com/user/atacorion/media/image_zpseb39c715.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/atacorion/image_zpseb39c715.jpg</a>

Please bring home on next visit for AIRadication testing.  I knew I bought that name for a reason.
Top Top