Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2014 6:45:03 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide what bullet to use deer hunting this fall. I have a 20" Predator Pursuit Rifle that will shoot 60gr nosler bt in one hole at a 100yd with hand loads. I'm trying to decide which bullet to use to try to keep the point of impact as close as possible because I built this rifle to mainly coyote hunt with. Just might want to give it a try this fall on deer. The bullets I am trying to decide on are either the 60gr nosler partition or the Barnes 62gr ttsx hand loads . I have never used either before. This is not my only rifle I am going to deer hunt with, I have a 25-06 with nosler 115gr bt  that I use most of the time. I'm going to keep my shots close to not take any chances on a lost deer. Based on your experience what bullet would you use?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a sticky on this topic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Barnes 62 or 70 TSSX
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used both with great success.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used winchester 64gn power points and Sierra 65gn game kings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You're on the right track with the TSX & Partition, but another Nosler to look at is the newer 64 grain bonded. (Pretty much an Accubond without the plastic tip.) Haven't tried them yet, but it seems they're having good results by those using them.

Here they are at Shooters Pro Shop. In stock blems. The blems I picked up a few months ago looked perfect, like other cailber/grain blems they've had over the years.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help. I know there is a sticky on bullets for deer and I have read almost all the pages. I have it narrowed down between the two and just wanted some help on making the decision based on somebody that has used the bullets. I will look at the 64gr bonded bullet too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The Nosler and the Barnes are both good choices.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
62 grain Barnes TSX, 60 grain Nosler Partition or 64 grain Nosler Bonded. POI should be pretty close with any of these. With the velocity of your 20" barrel I'd take the Barnes & certain penetration from any angle, but the others are fine bullets too.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
OP if you live in the eastern part of NC  the deer that I've seen there, Camp Lejeune , are not very big and if your marksmanship is GTG the Nosler will work.
The deer in the western part of the state tend to be a little  bigger more the size here in TN, I've had great success with Sierra's 55gr GameKing HPBT and their 63gr SP.
YMMV

Ramblings from an old Marine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top